Sisters Stick Together

Between the Past and the Future
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

27 October 2015

 

That morning, Jessica woke up feeling extremely nervous. Tuesday, October 27th, 2015, was going to be an extraordinary day. Later that day, she was going to attend W Korea Magazine’s annual charity event and she was going with Krystal. Why extraordinary? Because this would be the very first event they were going to attend together since she left Girls’ Generation. It probably didn’t seem that long ago but it actually had been a little over a year since the two of them went to Jimmy Choo Store Opening in Seoul in September last year.

 

The both of them were invited by W, but that didn’t mean they had to arrive at the venue and face the press together. In fact, Jessica wasn’t sure if they should go together. Her sister’s group, f(x), was having their comeback and she didn’t want to possibly ruin anything. After all that happened last year, haters would always find a way to hate on her and bring people around her down with her. But Krystal, being the chill person she was, insisted on going together as a pair and not separately.

 

“Sisters stick together.” She said.

 

Jessica’s personal stylist had prepared matching outfits for the sisters. Since it was a cancer awareness event, the dress code was black. She came a few days earlier bringing a bunch of black dresses for the sisters to choose from.

 

-

 

Jessica decided on a Balenciaga’s black cropped leather-trimmed tweed jacket with the matching mini skirt. While Krystal simply used her toes to grab one black mini dress in the pool of dresses her sister dropped on the couch earlier.

 

“Ya! Can you not joke around, Jung Soojung?” Jessica slapped her sister’s foot.

 

“I’m not joking around! Look at them, our outfits match!” Krystal claimed while still playing with her hair.

 

It was true. Both their outfits had the same gold-coloured buttons. Eventhough she appeared to have no interest at all, Krystal did pay attention to her sister and the stylist after all. Krystal Jung, The Queen of Chill.

 

-

 

On their way to Four Seasons Hotel, Krystal noticed that her sister looked tense. Jessica usually slept or played with her phone when on the road, but today she just stared out the window and occasionally bit her nails. Krystal tried to distract her  but she accidentally started on a topic she probably shouldn’t have started, at least until the event was over.

 

“So, do you know why Klaire declined the invitation?”

 

“What?!” Jessica spoke her first word since they got into the car.

 

‘Uh oh.’ Krystal mentally slapped the back of her head. She thought her sister knew.

 

“What invitation? For this event?” Jessica raised her voice but turned it back down when she realized they were not alone in the car.

 

“Yeah, I thought you knew about this. I mean, you two talk every day.” Krystal said, making sure her voice was softer than the music from the radio.

 

“We don’t talk everyday.” Jessica defended herself.

 

Her conversations with Klaire were mostly nonsense anyway, all they did was just gossiping and insulting each other.  But the fact that Klaire didn’t mention anything about this was kind of preposterous. “How do you know she declined? It was probably the company that didn’t let her go.”

 

“Nope, this time I’m pretty sure the company had given the green light but she herself didn’t want to go.” Krystal said with a serious face.

 

-

 

Krystal lied down on the floor, feeling extremely tired after her group went through the choreography for their new song over and over again. Her eyes were closed but her ears were listening to her group members speaking in Mandarin. Victoria and Amber were there, Krystal wasn’t sure if the topic was about Halloween or entirely something else. She was learning diligently but her Mandarin just simply wasn’t that good yet.

 

Luna, who went to the restroom, came back and made her way straight to the girl on the floor. “If you go the restroom now, you’ll get to spy on Klaire-unnie and her manager.” She whispered.

 

Krystal raised her eyebrow, totally scandalized by that statement.

 

"No, no, not that way. I mean you should go hear what they're talking about." She explained quickly, realizing her earlier mistake.

 

Luna wasn’t a nosy person, so for her to be giving Krystal that kind of suggestion was just something worth to be curious about. Klaire walked out, opening the door slowly to avoid making any unnecessary noise.

 

“This is why I didn't want to tell you until D-Day.” Jungmin, one of Girls’ Generation’s managers said in a hushed voice.

 

“I just don't understand why they're doing this. The company never allowed anyone to meet ex-members in public.” Krystal heard Klaire’s voice, although she couldn’t see the girl as the wall blocked her view.

 

“I told you they have no choice. W invited them as a pair. Jessica has been a regular attendee to this event since 2012 so it’s not like we can mess with that.” The manager explained.

 

Hearing her sister's name mentioned, Krystal ears perked up even more.

 

She heard Klaire groaned. “I don’t care. I’m not going. Either you decline the invitation now or we’ll wait until the day and tell them at the last minute that I’m too sick to go or something.”

 

“We can’t say no to charity event.” It was the manager’s turn to groan. “Especially one held by W. One bad move and swoosh, there goes all the great photoshoot deals for the whole company.” Jungmin then corrected himself, “Well, Krystal, Kai and Yeonhee are going so not exactly the entire company. But you girls always love W’s pictorials, so let’s just take one for the team, hm?” He tried persuading the girl.

 

The practice room door opened as Victoria walked out. Krystal, who was leaning her back to the wall, quickly pushed her body forward pretending like she was walking back towards the room. She could hear Klaire and Jungmin shushing each other, hopefully thinking that they were only now being interrupted. When she saw her leader opened to say something to her, Krystal put a finger in front of her lips, gesturing for the older girl to be quiet. She dutifully joined the rest to continue practice.

 

-

 

“If you can, please avoid mentioning anything about me eavesdropping her conversation.” Krystal told her sister when she saw Jessica grabbing her phone after she finished telling her story.

 

Klaire Han Why are you always like this??? ?? wrong number? I'm talking to you, Klaire Han! why am i always like what? I have no idea what your intention is, but you're not supposed to joke with you career just bcus you feel like it u gotta stop talking in riddles cause i dont understand a single bit what u said YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO GO TO W EVENT TONIGHT! if u think that im not serious about my career then u're wrong im still going to have that solo debut with an album full of my self-composed songs one day Then why are you recklessly doing stuff like this? Keep declining invitations like this & they'll never invite you again Connection is very important in this business Remember that! i have my reasons ok. take a chill pill unnie If those reasons have anything to do with me being on the guest list, you better get your down here now cause that's not a good enough reason u know what. i dont need this i was just about to get dinner n eat it peacefully but u ruined it Seriously??? my therapist said i shouldnt take things too seriously n stay away from anything that might cause me stress so.... bye bye now Klaire seriously I'm so sick of you using your shrink as a shield for every childish thing you do!

 

“.” Jessica cursed, gaining her sister’s attention.

 

“May I?” Klaire asked, as polite as she could. Her hand gently relaxing Jessica’s fingers that were grabbing the phone tightly. After a little bit of struggle, she managed to get hold on the silver iPhone 6.

 

She could’t help but chuckle reading the chats. Klaire was truly one of a kind in Krystal’s eyes, because she understood and admired her weird sense of humor in situation like this. Her chuckle died down when she felt her sister glaring at her. “Sorry, but you gotta admit she’s funny.”

 

“No, Soojung. Not funny at all.” Jessica roughly retrieved back her phone. “And don’t you dare learn this kind of behaviour from her. She’s nobody, but you’re my younger sister so I own your .”

 

“Hey, don’t call her nobody! She’s my friend.” Krystal retorted, stiflin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter