Pieces of a Puzzle (Part I)

Between the Past and the Future
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

August 2016

 

"Just do it, Yoong!" Come one, when was the last time I asked you for anything?"

 

"Unnie, that's not fair. Up to a few months ago, we literally haven't been speaking for almost two years."

 

"Exactly! So I haven't asked you for any favour for two years. Now is the time!"

 

Yoona laughed at Jessica's nonsense. They were speaking on the phone but she could imagine Jessica's naughty face. Time passed but it almost felt like this woman didn't change at all. The familiarity soothed Yoona.

 

"But she will suspect I'm up to something if I just shove a camera in her face like that." Yoona whined.

 

"Urgh, you're such a chicken."

 

"Hey!" Yoona protested.

 

"Okay then, you don't have to take a video, but make sure you tell me how she reacted in detail!" Jessica commanded enthusiastically.

 

"Understood, Madame President." Yoona chuckled.

 

The call ended and Yoona made her way to Klaire's room finding the door was ajar, but she knocked nonetheless. The younger girl was lying on the bed, playing a game on her phone. She looked up, noticing Yoona standing by the door, waiting to speak.

 

"Give me thirty seconds, unnie. It's almost done." Klaire said while tapping the screen of her phone furiously.

 

However, Yoona didn't wait. She figured if she was going to prank the girl, she was going all out.

 

"Is Friday still on?"

 

"Friday? What Friday?" Klaire asked, eyes still fixated on the phone.

 

"Dinner at Sica unnie's."

 

Klaire was still tapping for about three seconds before she completely froze.

 

"What?" She finally gave Yoona her full attention, the game had suddenly been forgotten.

 

Yoona put on the most innocent face she could muster.

 

"H- How do you.. know?"

 

"I'm coming with you. Are you driving or should I pick you up?" Yoona said with a tone as normal as possible.

 

"Wait, what do you mean?" Klaire started doubting the timeline of her life. Did she accidently traveled back in time to when hanging out at Jessica's place with her members was a normal thing to do?

 

"Why is your brain so slow today?" Yoona mocked. "Friday. Dinner at Sica unnie's. Is it still on? I'm going." She said slowly as if talking to a child.

 

"Yes. But.. I can't just.. bring you there without her permission. She'd kill me." Klaire stuttered.

 

Yoona cackled seeing the reaction. "Oh my God, you should have seen your face."

 

Klaire was still staring at her dumbfounded.

 

"Aigoo." Yoona plopped down on the bed. "You thought I somehow found out about this dinner and just decided to crash it?"

 

Klaire was frustated. "What the hell is going on?"

 

"She invited me too."

 

"Who? Sica unnie?"

 

"No, her Dad." Yoona joked. "Yes, Sica unnie asked me to come."

 

"But.. how?" Klaire's face was so scrunched Yoona swore she could get a wrinkle right then right there.

 

"We've been talking to each other again." She said. Sensing the incoming storm of questions from Klaire, she added, "On the phone. No, I haven't seen her in person since last year." She corrected herself, "Since 2014, I mean." It had been so long but it also felt like everything had just happened yesterday. 

 

"Oh.. okay." Klaire said, starting to make sense of the situation. "How did you get her number?" 

 

"I have my resources too, okay." Yoona smirked.

 

"So you two are good now?"

 

"Yeap. Why? Are you worried I'm going there to fight her or something?" She said, giggling.

 

"Honestly, nothing would surprise me anymore. I mean, Soojung broke my arms, so.." Klaire shrugged.

 

"Dislocated your shoulder. Don't be so dramatic." Yoona corrected, earning a laugh from the maknae.

 

"So, you're really coming this Friday?" Klaire asked, still in disbelief.

 

"Yes. I'm excited." She smiled. "And kinda nervous. I haven't seen her in so long."

 

-

 

The Jung Residence's intercom rang, signaling the arrival of her guests. Jessica buzzed them in. She took her time tidying up the already spotless living room and fixing herself in the mirror before the bell rang. She took a second holding the door handle to compose herself before opening the door, revealing Yoona and Klaire.

 

"Annyeonghaseyo." Yoona greeted.

 

Klaire stopped herself from laughing hearing the awkward formal greeting. She waved to the house owner instead.

 

"Hello, Yoona. Long time no see." Jessica smiled, also giving Klaire a small nod.

 

The three of them stood awkwardly by the door for a second before Klaire attemped to break the ice. She grabbed both of their wrists and forced them to do a handshake, but their hands were limp so they ended up bumping knuckles instead. Jessica laughed and smacked Klaire on the arm.



"Jessica, Yoona. Yoona, Jessica." Klaire jokingly introduced them. "Now, hug!" Pushing them together.

 

The two girls were now laughing. Jessica took the initiative to pull the younger girl in for a hug.

 

"Long time no see." She said again.

 

"Long time no see." Yoona repeated.

 

"Come on in." Jessica pushed the door open wider. "Soojung will be home soon with our dinner."

 

Hearing the announcement, Klaire excused herself to the bathroom to give the two time alone to talk. She couldn't stand the weird atmosphere.

 

"Unnie, why are we so awkward? We literally have been talking on the phone." Yoona chuckled.

 

"It's different seeing you in person. It feels weird." Jessica admitted.

 

"I know right? This is somehow weirder than when I first called you."

 

"Oh no, no. That was definitely more awkward." Jessica giggled at the memory.

 

-

 

Random digits flashed brightly on Jessica's phone. There were people closest to her, who had been using the same cell numbers for a long time, that she knew their numbers by heart. This was one of them.

 

She knew she wanted to pick up the call, but she wasn't sure if she should. The buzzing on her phone ended before she could make a decision. But when the same caller called again a week after that, Jessica didn't hesitate to pick up.

 

"Hello?"

 

There was a short pause before she heard the other person speaking. "Sica unnie?"

 

"Hi, Yoona."

 

"Uhm.. Sorry, I wasn't sure you're gonna pick up. In fact, I wasn't sure if this really is your number."

 

"It is. Took you long enough."

 

"Excuse me?"

 

"Took you long enough to call me."

 

"I.. Uhm.." Yoona stuttered.

 

"How did you get my number? From Klaire?"

 

"No, not Klaire." Yoona replied quickly. "It was someone else."

 

"Who?" Jessica asked, curious. There was only a tight group of people who knew her new number after all.

 

"I'll tell you, but please don't be mad at that person. She didn't want to give it to me, but I insisted. And she knew how close we were.. before. So I assured her that it's fine." Yoona said, being as considerate as Jessica remembered her to be.

 

Jessica hummed as a sign for Yoona to continue.

 

"I met Yeonhee Unnie."

 

'Ah.' Jessica recalled giving her number to their friend, Lee Yeonhee, last year when they met at 'W Magazine' event.

 

"We were talking about this and that, and we talked about you. I think she assumed that we're still in contact." Yoona recounted the story. "Long story short, I figured that you two are still contacting each other so I asked her how to reach you. That was when she realized that we're no longer on speaking terms and she refused to tell me."

 

Jessica nodded her head eventhough the other person obviously couldn't see her.

 

"Anyway, my point is that it wasn't her fault. If you're not okay with this, I'll end this call and delete your number. Just please don't bring this up to her."

 

Jessica silently smiled. Yes, Yoona was still the same polite kid she used to know. "It's fine. I wouldn't dare to go berserk on her anyway." She gave a small chuckle.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter