Re-connect

Voyage
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Minwoo heaves a long and deep sigh, he closes his eyes tight, rubs his temple softly. He spends the night at his studio, trying to writes lyrics and produces some tracks—an overdue projects that need to finish soon, but nothing works.

 

“Hyung,” a familiar voice calls him, make him opens his eyes, glancing at his manager, “what do you want for lunch?”

 

“What do you want to eat?” He’s asking back, smiles a little. “Anything good for me.”

 

“Okay, I’ll buy the usual then,” the manager answers, “Do you want to go to the salon before the radio schedule hyung? If yes, I’ll order the food to be delivered there.”

 

Grabs his phone to checks the time, he sighs again—reads all the notifications chats on his Ktalks group with the rest of Shinhwa.

 

It’s chaotic like always, and more today with their planning to go to Gapyeong this noon.

 

He’s on dilemma. If, the rest want to meet Dongwan when the first photos being sent to them, then he’ll refuse to join without doubt. But the second one happens because of his carelessness, because he does something without consulting to others first.

 

“Hyung?”

 

“Can you cancel my radio appearance?”

 

“What?!”

 

“We can or can’t?”

 

Take a look at the artist that he manages for almost five years, even without words—the manager knows it all. 

 

“Okay hyung, let just have lunch first, then I’ll drive you to the agency, all of you need to gather there, right?”

 

The decisions of course shocks the rest, but the say nothing—Eric just give him looks, an are you sure, looks. While Hyesung just smiles at him, and nudges him to enter the car, give him a small squeeze on his shoulder, a silent support.

 

Junjin is driving and Andy sits beside him. Both of them with Hyesung planning this and that, make a countless scenarios if Dongwan won’t open the door or bangs the door in front of them like what he do to Junjin back then—Andy laughs out loud when he listens the story.

 

Eric busying himself with his phone. No one drags him, not even Hyesung. He comes at his own will, but the rest know it well—no matter he acts nonchalantly, he’s still their Eric Mun, their leader—the one who protects them with his way.

 

And Minwoo—he just stares at the window beside him. It’s the same streets from yesterday, the same toll gates, the same sceneries. Yet, the feeling is different. Yesterday, he just want to go there, want to prove about the address and Dongwan existing. But right now, he knows—he needs to face it no matter what. 

 

After that tearful night ten years ago, he’ll be on the same space and place with Dongwan again. 

 

They pass the small city where Dongwan works—going further, entering the small village with full of greens on right and left, Junjin drives smoothly, proving that he already familiar with the area. Another 10 minutes from the gate, the car getting slowly—and then stops at the corner of small hill. 

 

“Welcome to hyung’s home,” Junjin announces, “and please, pray for my wellbeing.”

 

“It looks so him,” rather than answering Junjin’s. Andy is commenting about the house in front of him, “He still loves the nature much, huh?”

 

“That’s my comment too.” Hyesung chimes in, drapes his hand around Andy shoulder. 

 

Minwoo looking around, the house looks good, built from woods—like the one he see on Sky Resort on Europe, the yard is neat, there’s a fireplace but also a pull-up bar on the side, he definitely still Kim Dongwan that he used to know—love the nature ambience but also his body a lot.

 

“That’s his bees,” Junjin points out the tall box, “and yes, they’re hyung pets. Don’t go near tho, they’re not even nice to hyung, let alone to someone new. I speak from my experience.”

 

Andy cackles again. All the unfortunate events that happen to Junjin, amuse him a lot.

 

“A bee?! He’s really out of his mind or what?”

 

“Shut up Ric,” Hyesung elbows his fiance, “don’t make some stupid comment now or later, please behave, yeah?”

 

Glances at his hyungs, Andy just shakes his head. He takes the lead, walks first to the door—and like the plans they make, they stand at their positions—ready to face Dongwan or stop him from avoid them.

 

Hyesung buzz the bells—and like the scenario they predict. It almost happens. But they’re ready. Dongwan stands there, surprise also confuse. 

 

No one of them imagine this before, having reunion as six, kilometers away from Seoul, on the terrace somewhere in Gapyeong.

 

The sound of the open door, a small ruckus that happens, and Dongwan voice, make Minwoo flinch a little. He doesn’t need to pull up his head to know an eyes that looking at him. He still can’t do it. His hands feels clammy suddenly.

 

“Do you want to come?” Eric whispers beside him, be a total support. “We can wait here or in the car if you want.”

 

Shakes his head, Minwoo give Eric a wordless answers, yet Eric knows. He walks first, leads him—to the door of their ex member, his ex boyfriend.

 

Minwoo stays quiet and still. But he listens. He steals a glance at Dongwan for two seconds when Dongwan throws away the photos—looks distress. His forehead wrinkles automatically when Dongwan tell them about the tresspaser. And he almost jumps, when abruptly Dongwan walks fast to the door and begs them to leave.

 

Eric is getting restless on his side, he feels it—and before he can stop it. Eric just pass him, grabs Dongwan, shouts at him, and gives him a damn hard punch.

 

And Minwoo just stands still on his positions, as if he’s being glued to the floor. He looks at Eric backs then to Dongwan who just being quiet, even when Hyesung check his condition.

 

His eyes follows closely—something is wrong with Dongwan. But he can’t do anything. He wants to shout to Eric too. He wants to checks Dongwan too. He wants to cradle him—like what Junjin does right now on the sofa.

 

But, he can’t. His body stucks.

 

Till Junjin’s panic voices snaps him. Panic attacks. He knows that symptoms well. Long ago—he suffers from it too, the result from their break-up. 

 

And without thinking much, he comes forward, walks to Dongwan hurriedly, holds his hand carefully and helps him. 

 

Dongwan need to be okay. For whatever happens with him and them, he need to be okay first. Without he realizes, Minwoo needs to face the reality—that Dongwan still his number one priority. Like years ago.

 

.

.

 

Hyesung closes the door quietly, he coaxes Dongwan to rest for a while and promise him that his home will still intact under his watch. They need to talk—later. They’ve a lot to discuss, what happens to Dongwan concerns Hyesung.

 

He doesn’t know if that the first panic attacks or not, but living alone in the middle of nowhere clearly not a wise decision. 

 

And about the stalker. It’s getting fishy too. If the person that Dongwan report to the police is the same person that still stalks him secretly, then they need to catch her again and put restriction this time. It’s creepy.

 

He walks down to the first floor, looking at Junjin who plays with his phone on the living room and then comes closer to Andy on the kitchen—cooking something as if it his own kitchen.

 

“What do you make?”

 

“Doenjang jjigae,” Andy answers while stirs the the jjigae in front of him, “I think Dongwan hyung needs something warms when he wakes up later, how is he?”

 

“I treat his injury and now he’s sleeping.” Hyesung sits on the chair, feels awed by the way Andy cooks, “Where’s the troublemarker?”

 

Chuckles, Andy points to the backyard with his chin. “Outside with Minwoo hyung.”

 

“He’s really test my patient nowdays.”

 

“He just being him, hyung.” Andy replies. “You know it well, Eric hyung just being himself. One punch, and after this, he’ll behaves well and do something for Dongwan hyung too.”

 

Sighs, Hyesung tsk his tongues. “Dongwan will punch him back.”

 

“Then let him.” Andy says calmly. “Like the old time, right? Let them fight, and then they’ll resolve it with their way. That’s their dynamic.”

 

“I know,” Hyesung agrees, “I predict it too, when both of them meet, one of them will throw a fist. But not on their first meet like this—it’ll make everything become messier.”

 

“Why are you predict such thing tho?” Andy chuckles, he cuts the leeks this time, ready to put it on the top of his jjigae. 

 

“Eric is hurting too, a lot. Not the way Minwoo hurts, or the way we feels. But he blames himself for failing to protects the group, Dy. Not able to stops Dongwan or knows the real reason back then. Takes a toll on him. He never say it out loud, but I know him well, right?”

 

It’s Andy turns to let out a sigh this time. They really so used to sweep this problems under the rug, so many times, avoid to discuss it openly. It pains them as a whole, but the wounds are different from one to another. They should’ve confront each other, face the situation and heal together. 

 

“I hope we can mend this hyung.” Andy whispers softly. “I hope we’re not too late.”

 

“It’s always better late than never, Dy.” Hyesung pats Andy’s back hand. “Let’s put closure to whatever happen between us ten years ago, yeah.”

 

.

.

 

“Why did you punch him, you fool!?”

 

Minwoo says calmly but with a deadly stares. Yet, Eric just gives him a smirks.

 

“I already say it to you yesterday, I’ll punch him. He deserves it.”

 

“Bastard.”

 

“You need to punch him too, or I’ll punch him again, Bong.”

 

“Shut up,” Minwoo slaps Eric backs, but his best friend just laughing at him, “Yak! You look crazy right now.”

 

Tries to stop his laugh with his hand, Eric eyeing Minwoo who looking at the far away—to the mountain in front of them.

 

“A nice place huh?”

 

“He always love this kind of environment,”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter