childish as it may be, you get the point

the color red

Part of the job is knowing your enemy. I know very well Simon is testing us. He doesn’t actually care about teamwork. Yeah, right. He just wants us to churn out progress. This is a fight with sharks circling us, waiting for someone to drop their guard. And when that happens, we’ll be eaten alive. Which means, I need to be in control. If you must know, corporate life is the epitome of the toxic patriarchy we all know and love.

If you’re a woman, you’re fighting twice the battle. I knew what I was signing up for. Clearly. Sue me for being petty. You’re telling me there’s a 5’8 man beside me who’s prettier than any woman on this floor (except for me, of course), and he can do his job? Really, really well at that too?

I would tell you that it sounded like a load of bull, but I’m sitting right next to him. I just didn’t know what the hell I was going to do. I never resorted to ual appeal because that just means another opportunity for men to undermine me. I refuse to be an object for the male gaze.

For some reason, we’re both called to the top floor. I stand pressed against the left of the elevator—as far as I can from Baekhyun who stands aloof with no care whatsoever.

He peers at me as I count down the remaining floors. I’m itching to get out of here. “I don’t have herpes you know?”

I don’t even bother glancing at him. “I’m not going to risk breathing in the STDs you carry.”

“Newsflash, cerise. It’s called using a .”

I choke, my cheeks flooding with red. Am I imagining Baekhyun ? Yes. Very much so. This is completely inappropriate, and I have no power to stop it. “This is teetering on ual harassment.”

He snorts good-humoredly. “Apologies. Let me put it in lingo that you’ll be more familiar with. Don’t be silly, wrap your willie. Don’t be a fool, cover your tool. No glove, no love. Sock that wang before you bang—“

“Shut up,” I snap, slapping a hand over his chest. “You’re so ing crude.”

“Hey, I’m not the one who used ing in the same sentence. We can do the tango. All you have to do is ask, cerise,” he teases, pushing me against the wall of the elevator with my hands pinned over my head.

I let out a deep breath. I just screwed up. Damn it. I gave him a reaction. “Don’t call me that,” I grumble, trying hard not to divert my eyes. Because if I do, he wins.

“Que veux-tu dire, cerise?” What do you mean, cherry?

His French changes the timbre of his voice. Deeper and huskier. It feels like he’s right in my ear from the shortened distance between us. I shiver, feeling a dizzying wave of warmth and…desire. Was I ? Oh no. I mean—give me some slack. I wish I can tell you he’s ugly.

“I’m not a ,” I quip, yet I was blushing like one. When was the last time I even got laid? Not since college. And there’s my problem.

I’d fallen right into his trap. His lips twist into triumphant mirth. “Did I say you were one?”

“Then why would you call me cherry?”

He brushes his thumb over my bottom lip, and taking full advantage of my shell shock, he proceeds to push it between my lips. My next breath hitches, catching in my throat. “You tell me.”

The elevator dings open, and he’s gone. Meanwhile, my heart is thundering inside of my chest, threatening to jump out, as I register the meaning behind his words.

I was going to wring his neck. Of course, I say that as I lean against the wall with shaky legs, suffering from the aftermath. The irony of it all. I’d be laughing if I wasn’t so pissed that he got in my head.

 

 

###

 

 

The air around me intensifies when I see Baekhyun’s silhouette in Simon’s office. Right across from them, I’m standing in front of Seulgi who has her fingers intertwined and eyes with fire in them.

She clears , craning her neck to glare at Simon. I shift awkwardly, trying to move out of her line of fire. Seulgi diverts her eyes back to me.

“You think he can see me from here?” She asks, fixing her pencil skirt.

I turn around to look, and that’s when my eyes meet with Baekhyun from behind the blinds. My cheeks redden, and I turn back freakishly fast, ignoring the mischief growing in his eyes.

“Yeah,” I answer.

“Do I look like I have my together?” Seulgi questions.

“Huh?”

She snorts out a laugh, signaling for me to sit down. “Am I scary?”

I have no idea what to make of this. Kang Seulgi had many rumors about her. And none of them were particularly nice. She was known for her sharp tongue and wit. She made grown men peed their pants, which meant she was my superhero.

I’ve never seen her smile, so yeah, surprise is an understatement. “Park Yun, right?”

I nod stiffly. “Uh-huh.”

“You can relax. I don’t bite. Besides, I think I like you. You have that fire in your eyes.”

“Fire?”

“Yeah like you eat men for breakfast. I like that.”

I laugh at this. “Not all. I have a brother.”

“Enough to be unsure of their motives,” Seulgi notes with a smile. Then, she leans back into her chair, hints of irritation edging into her wrinkled forehead. “So Simon decided to wage a war between our two best editors. I can never tell what he’s thinking. He’s like a ing toddler, having free reign on his personal playground. I know you hate the idea of working under Baekhyun.”

I rub my temple. “I’d have no choice but to resign.”

“I understand. It saddens me, of course. But we’ll have to think of a game plan. Something to make you stand out.”

“You’re helping me?”

“Should I be helping Baekhyun then?”

“Oh, I guess I’m flattered.”

“Don’t be. We need more women in positions of power. Men can’t empathize for . You saw how well that went with Mcgrath’s period joke. Does he think he’s in his prepubescent years or what?”

I can’t help but laugh. Seulgi precedes her reputation. She’s ing hilarious.

Seulgi glances at her watch. “We’ll be busy, but I expect a proposal from you by the end of next week. Let me know if you need any resources, and I’ll do as much as I can. Keep in touch with me. You know my cell, right?” She bids me goodbye, and as I walk out of her office, Baekhyun is on his way out of the corridor.

I glare into his back, silently channeling witchcraft. As if on cue, he turns around, offering me a lazy wave as he mouths, you’re going down.

I flip him off. Seulgi and Simon’s PA gasp echo in the silent space. I turn to them, holding an index finger up to my lips. They nod brusquely, and I take large strides to catch up to Baekhyun who’s currently smiling.

I’m not surprised. He’s definitely sociopathic. I shove him, resorting to elementary tactics. He chuckles quietly as I stomp off, leaving him in the dust. I’ll combust into a million pieces if I’ll ever let him have something over me.


 

[a/n] someone asked me about the length of this story and uhh i honestly don't know. i only plotted out the minor and major conflict. everything is made up in my mind as i write it. these chapters are probably going to be short and follow a motif. i'm also following the action-reaction scene structure. if you get the vibes of a traditionally published new adult novel, this is it, babes. or i'm trying at least. so final answer: as long as need be.

hope this chapter made you laugh a little. they're so funny with their bantering haha. and more ??? gasp