CHAPTER 10

PEACE

CHAPTER 10: HER VOICE

"What did just happened?" Jennie asked as she looked at the shocked face of the officer who was standing next to her, her hands shaking with beads of cold sweat trailing down from her forehead, the feline knew that she heard everything that she needed to, the prosecutor just got into a huge accident and they heard her in between the bridge of life and death before everything was cut off. "Wendy!"

"She got into an accident, okay?! I don't know what to do right now, we needed her abruptly but she got into an accident, you heard it Jen, you've/ heard it!"

"Check her vital signs! We needed to intubate her, she's losing her signs, prepare the operating room!" The prosecutor was laying on what she believed to be her death bed, lights  came flashing right before her eyes could even blink and people passing by in rush as they assisted her half-paralyzed body. She could barely move yet her mind still functioned like a normal person.

She was still thinking of her. Calling for her.

A nurse came to cut her shirt into half followed with another worker who checked her eyes with a flashlight. Irene couldn't understand what was just happening around. "Intubation will be done by now, we needed an Dr. Kim to perform the general anesthesia, we needed to do a surgery as soon as possible, she's losing a lot of blood. Bring the Code Blue on."

Everything had been done in a light speed as they tried to save the prosecutor, Irene just couldn't just picture herself from what her body looked like right now while laying on the operating room's bed with numerous machines attached to her just to support her from life over death.

"General anesthesia was injected." And after hearing that announcement, Irene felt herself falling slowly in a  deep sleep. When her voice started to appear from her side followed by her own tears following off from her own eyes.

"Ani... ani... you should fight, don't follow me..."

"She's in cardiac arrest, give me 150 jules!"

It was about eight thirty when the man arrived from his short trip to the restaurant, Junmyeon do consider being that good husband towards his wife to cover up the things he had falsely made for years. He admitted that he had done a lot of things in the wrong place that even his relationship towards her was starting to get hollow and distant, he was even glad that even at worst, she was still there loving her with all of her heart.

"Hey, I'm... home?" The living room's light were but their were no evident signs of the prosecutor, the man rushed to upstairs looking for her only to find her working jacket was there and his were missing. "Where the hell did this woman could be going for at this hours?" He looked for his phone from his pocket to make a call when he suddenly remembered,

"The jacket, the phone... !"

"Officer Son from Seoul Police Department. How was she?" They came up on time, it was around nine when her, Jennie and Krystal had arrived on the hospital. Too glad that the woman had decided to tag along with them, they both bring a good and bad news for the older yet this happened, they did not even know if the woman could work back on time as much as they wanted to help her with it but happened.

The doctor scratched the back of her head, obviously afraid to tell them the things that had happened on the woman's surgery. "Can I talk to her relatives or something?" She asked, the feline rolled her eyes as she put both of her arms crossed to her chest making the surgeon to get nervous to the officer's action. "I think it would be best for the relatives to know it first."

"We're here for her as a co-worker and incase something happened to her it would be relatively close to her husband. Now are you still pressed to ask us for her relatives' presence? State it so we can go, we were the only ones who can possibly be able to take care of her." Wendy said before the feline could even say something wrong towards the young surgeon. "Dr. Kim."

"We've done a lot of things to save her." The three stood frozen to the surgeon's announcement. "We've done blood transfusion, and everything to save her from cardiac arrest, gladly she survive-"

"Thank God! You might have just said that first, it I thought she died..." Jennie expressed her gratitude with a huge sigh. "How was she? Where is she right now? Is she on stable condition?" 

"She's still on ICU, hopefully her signs will be on stable for the rest of the night and so we can put her to a normal room for faster recovery." The four of them continued to talk about the things that may help for the prosecutor's fast recovery, they were glad that at least the woman had tried to do her best from the accident to her surgery. Wendy knew that their would be bigger problem that would arrived sooner and that would made her friend surely be mad about it.

Son puts a bet on it.

They were watching the woman from the other side of the room silently only to hear the machines that helped the woman from living back to life and the defibrillator prepared on standby right on her side, in that kind of sight, it made their heart clenched from hurt, they knew that the woman was eager to do her best to finish her task and the lost commitments she had for Soul but even her own faith and destiny failed her.

"Seulgi's lucky." Krystal said out of nowhere as she looked at the weakling body of the older who obviously fought for her life with just the form of her old love, even though she knew that her love for Seulgi was far more different from the woman in front of her, Irene's feelings and every sorts of time she lost for the younger was still there, strong enough to break everything she had right now, not even the marriage she had with her husband. "I always knew why she still chose her over me, should I be mad about it? I think I should never be, she was the one here fighting for her though."   

"You two both love her, there's no need to say whether you're mad about her or not, it's a usual emotion for someone to do so. The important thing right now was we already know who the person behind these crimes and we can finally give the justice that both the three of them deserved." Wendy answered silently as she kept her eyes fixed to the older. She was concerned, everything that had been happening to the older were just kept by the woman itself, in even just in the very small ways, she wished that she can at least help her.

"If happy ever after really did exist, I just hope that destiny would pay Irene this time."

"Hey..." Her eyes were still shut close as she caressed her cheeks with her hand, the sunset was there, as if it was watching them every time they'd went here but in this moment, it was just the two of them, this time everything was all right, no hindrance, just the them with the same heartbeat. "I'm here, I'm fine, don't worry about me." She whispered to her ears as the woman laying her head on her lap opened her eyes. The prosecutor opened her eyes, her heart thundered as she finally got to see those wonderful smile of hers. "I missed you..."

Irene couldn't contained her happiness as she felt every touch of the younger's warm hands. Those years of longingness were changed into contentment, the prosecutor wished the time to slow down for a moment knowing this was just another dream. "I'm sorry... I do really am..." She whispered as she felt her tears slowly falling down from her eyes, this time with sincerity and full of love. "I just realized things wouldn't be that happy anymore if I did not let you go, It should be me the one who have taken care of you, you might be still here with me, I'm really sorry." Seulgi smiled, there's nothing more beautiful than seeing those grin of the younger, Irene felt she was floating by looking at those, she missed it, not just her presence but her whole being.

How can I be with you? Those were the words who automatically registered inside her mind. If she already had committed a sin of cheating towards the younger, would be the death of her be an enough payment for her to be with the younger? For now, she was willing to give up all the things she had and would rather just to continue on living with her but the prosecutor couldn't just refused those knowing gaze of her first love, she knew that how much she would wished to be with her she can't. 

"Thank you." Seulgi said as she wrapped her arms around the prosecutor's shoulder. "Thank you for everything."

Everything came rushing to the older, she was about to lose her again, as if she wasn't used to it. She grabbed a hold to the younger's shirt and buried her head to her chest, her smell, it was like she was on cloud nine that she had messed years ago, Irene cried every single tears she had, there were no words she can't form right now, she just wanted to be with her, this time for real.

"I'm always here, just call me and I'll be there for you, you're strong, you listened to me, please remember that I will always love you." She said as she stood up, the prosecutor remained seated to her seat her eyes looking straight to the younger, Irene felt her body shaking as she gazed at her to stay. "Don't be sad." 

"I can't, I want to be with you, can we just be like this forever, I promised I would be there for you, there's no him, just the two of us, I can't continue to live seeing you dead in real life, I would rather risked my final breath just to be with you, wouldn't you like it?" She asked in desperation, as she walked slowly in front of the younger. 

"Seulgi-yah... please." Seulgi just smiled and answered.

"I would still be your last dance."

"She's back! Thank God!" Irene heard someone exclaiming from her side, a female doctor came rushing to her and checked her eyes followed by the feeling of the cold metal touching her chest which made her open her sense up with her eyes slowly adjusting from her room's dim light. "Is she okay?" The familiar voice of her officer friend had made her to look on her side, just to see her and Jennie in their uniforms.

"I-I need some water..." The prosecutor said just to break Wendy and the doctor from talking, Jennie abruptly put a straw to a bottled water and handed it to the older. This was her reality, her body aching, IV cords and oxygen tank, she just wished to Seulgi that she should just have chose a nicer decision on throwing her back to life.

"We need to continue on looking for her, that's what we needed to do for now, we can dismissed her a week or two and she can go back to work in moderation." The prosecutor heard making Wendy to look at her in disappointment, she knew it meant something, it was about her not being able to do the lead of their task. Even with a slightest strength, Irene pushed her body up making everyone inside the room to be panicked from her sudden move.

"Unnie, unnie please go back to bed." Jennie said as she acted to push her back, the prosecutor just shook her head 'no' and ignored everyone who stopped her. 

"Ma'am -"

"I can't okay? I have to move, I have to do something, you don't understand, you're not in my position, I have to d-"

"You're killing yourself." Krystal said calmly from the place she was sitting. "I know Seulgi wanted you to live but that doesn't mean that you are going to abuse yourself to do such thing, you've got a tough job out there, can't you just rest for yourself in awhile? If you don't want to do it, I could have just asked the chief of police to exclude you from handling their cases." She said without any pre-cautions, Jung accepted the fate of losing Seulgi but losing the person who truly loves the love of her life was just another thing, she admitted at first that she wanted to lose Irene to existence but she was not in the place to get jealous anymore, she loves Soul, yes, but not to the point that she would wished for someone's death. "You know what? Give me that." Without any answer from the nurse on standby, she took the Diazepam from them and went to inject straight to her IV cord.

"Calm down or you wouldn't be able to see your husband in prison."