Chapter 13: After All

Comfortable
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

          “You look tired.” Harvey said as we went inside the bus.

          I smile slyly as I looked for a comfortable sit on and to take a quick nap.

          “I am heavily pumped for this.” Harvey excitedly said.

          “Just let me take a nap on the bus, alright?” I retorted.

          “Why are you so tired? You’ve been playing all night?” He asked, somewhat annoyed. I didn’t respond.

          The bus rode to our destination resort. I slept all throughout the trip. When we arrived, we went straight to our bunk bed. I was able to recharge at the bus. Though, I also took a little nap at Layna’s place. But I wasn’t able to really have the REM sleep that I needed, that is why I was still tired.

          Various activities were held. Mini contests were won, I took a few prizes from my winnings despite my lack of sleep.

           Finally, the dreadful time had come. My teacher from calculus was bringing the booze with my friends. Cases and cases of them. We were permitted to drink with the supervision from our teacher. Normally, we wouldn’t really be telling anything about this to our head. So, they wouldn’t really know much that we got drunk. That’s the purpose of the whole class camaraderie.

          Time has gone by; I was already drunk. I’ve been secretly throwing my drinks under my chair.

          I felt someone sitting close to me. The person’s body was pushed towards my left arm. Suddenly, I felt a hand touch on top of my left hand. I turned my eyes towards the person. It was Kayla.

          ‘This is bad. What is she doing?’ I thought.

          I remembered an empty bottle was underneath me. I purposely tipped it over and I used my left hand to grab on to it, removing my hands for the awkward situation. I straightened the bottle underneath me, in case I needed it.

          “Stop pushing me to the side, Kayla. I’m almost at the edge of the chair.” I sarcastically remarked. She stopped pushing her body to me. I, dramatically, yawned. I stood up and went to Harvey who was practically inebriated to the bones.

          I leaned towards Harvey’s ear to whisper. “Harvey, I am heading out. I’ve got something to do tomorrow, I need to sleep early.”

          Harvey responded to a whisper, “Go on ahead. Careful, Kayla’s staring at you.” I nodded, not wanting to look back.

          I got the bad feeling about it. I had to keep my guard up.

          I walked hastily towards our room. It was 3 meters away, but it felt like a kilometer.

          I heard foot steps following me. It was dark in the area as the only lights were from the bonfire from the drinking party and the luminescent light from the room’s window.

          “Leo.” Spoke the person. It was Kayla’s voice. She practically followed me. ‘Dang it,’ I thought and stopped walking. I sighed and turned.

          It was dark but I was able to see her silhouette.

          “Leo, can I talk to you?” She spoke with an oddly soft manner.

          ‘This is dangerous. She doesn’t normally talk to me in this manner.’ She often was very loud and annoying most times.

          “Sure, but you better hurry up as I am about to throw up.” I said, ensuring to keep her from a far distance. I know this situation. This was what my friends had been sharing about.

          “You’re so funny.” She chuckled.

          ‘Weird,’ I thought.

          “What’s up?” I interjected, pushing her to hurry up and talk.

          “I just recently broke up with Kevin.” She forcibly said.

          “Well, I am sorry to hear that. I hope you’re okay.” With blankness on my tone. I needed to pee so badly.

          “Well… Yeah…” She sighed.

          I scratched my back. The bugs are trying to land on my neck. Being drunk really removes me from my focus.

          “I … I was… thinking…” She trailed off.

          “Yeah?” I responded while shooing the bugs flying around me. I swore I took a bath at Layna’s place before I came here. Realized that I had been sweating from all the activities.

          As I stretched my hand to my back to itch, as a crawling bug went inside my back shirt. I felt arms wrapping around my chest.

          I made a haste move to push her away with both my hands.

          “S-sorry. What was that?” I blurted, knowing quiet well.

          “O-oh… Sorry. I…”

          “Kayla, I’m sorry. I really need to go. I need to vomit.”

          I ran off. That was dangerous. Someone might’ve seen us. It would paint a very bad light on me. I cursed under my breath. I was, too, drunk to do anything. I went to the bathroom to freshen up before heading to bed. I locked the room door to ensure that no one would come inside.

          After I freshened up and took my sweet time about it, I heard the guys knocking. I opened the door as they entered laughing and pushing at each other. I climbed to my bunk bed and immediately fell asleep.

          I woke up early in the morning, having a wet dream about Layna. We were doing it inside a car. Wouldn’t really be farfetched to do it in a car.

          I climbed down and went outside to get some coffee. There were some students already up. I took my cup of coffee and walked towards the beach shore. I stared at the beach while sipping my coffee while mustering the courage to overcome an awful hangover. It was a refreshing view. I heard someone approach.

          “Hi, Leo.” I turned and saw Kayla.

          “Yo.” I responded.

          “About last night…” She trailed off again as I sipped my coffee.

          “I just want to say that I like you, Leo.” I would’ve spat my coffee but I swallowed it prematurely while I was breathing in. I coughed.

          “Are you okay, Leo?” She placed her hand on my shoulder. I moved away coughing.

          “Y-yeah. I’m alright… T-took aback that’s all.” I said cutting in between my cough. I cleared my throat to respond.

          “Sorry, Kayla but Layna and I are…” before I could finish my sentence, she cut-me off.

          “So, it’s true?” She shockingly responded.

          “True what?” I asked not knowing what is happening now.

          “I’m sorry for putting you in a very awkward situation, Leo. Harvey just told me before I went after you that you and Layna was going out…”

          “We are. However, we are keeping it a secret because her parents are apparently strict.”

          She went silent and apologized. As I kept on telling her it was okay, she apologized once again and walked off.

          “Welp, my coffee is practically cold right now.” I e more time towards the ocean and stared at it. I heard Harvey calling me and I walked back to our room.

         

 

          When we arrived home, I was able to sleep soundly. I texted Layna that I had arrived back before napping. It was still a good Sunday afternoon. I knew that I wasn’t able to visit her. However, as I woke up, I noticed that Layna wasn’t responding to my messages. I went to freshen up and stayed in my apartment the whole afternoon.

          I texted Layna but she was not responding. I thought she might have ran out of load. I went out and went to a convenient store to buy some stuff and reloaded her number.

          I texted her and yet she was still not responding. I took the risk and called her. I don’t think her grandmother would mind.   

          Her phone rang but suddenly went dead.

          My stomach started to flutter, a sign of anxiety. 

          I called her multiple times but the line kept on going dead.

          It was already 8pm and I wasn’t able to reach her. I finished my early dinner, still no response.

          “Wats wrong. Y r u not pickng up?” I texted.

          Still no response after 5 minutes. She typically responds right away. I had a bad feeling about it. I wanted to see her. It couldn’t wait until Tuesday as Monday is a holiday.

          “Im going 2 ur house now.”

          I arrived there at 8:56 pm. The travel was a bit longer as there was a heavy traffic. “I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter