Freed, Severed [V]

Demon King
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Donghae has come straight in. There are quiet whimpers. Ryeowook and Dr. Goi are on either side. The bed's shaking. The two are trying to hold Hyukjae down. As carefully as possible. Donghae slips past Ryeowook. Gets closer to Hyukjae.

"Hey..." he says. "Can you hear me?"

The shaking lessens. Hyukjae's still covered up. In bandages. They're thinner than last time. Donghae can see: more red showing through. From his struggles. The boy's eyes are swollen. They dart around. His breaths are shallow.

Donghae touches his shoulder. Softly.

"It's me, Hyukjae," Donghae says. Leans in closer. Gets in his sight. "It's Donghae. Hi."

The eyes find him. Hyukjae stares. Then his chest rises. Falls. Rapidly. Once more. He blinks frantically. Tears up.

"It's okay," Donghae says. "Everything's okay." He has to place a hand. On his chest. To calm his heart. "Just breathe slowly, Hyukjae... you're okay..."

He sees Ryeowook move. Reach a hand. To Hyukjae's head. The boy cries. Pants. His heart drums under Donghae's hand.

"Hyukjae... no, he's not doing anything... we're helping you... I promise you're safe..."

It takes a few moments. His breaths get slower. Heartbeat steadier. His eyelids heavier. The boy blinks. Struggles to keep his eyes open. His gaze remains on Donghae.

Ryeowook removes his hand. Hyukjae's eyes finally close.

Donghae straightens.

Dr. Goi and Ryeowook are already working. To redress opened wounds. Donghae watches them. He actually looks at Hyukjae's injuries. There are long deep cuts. They appear red. Purple. As long irregular lines. Across his body. Limbs.

Dr. Goi wraps up Hyukjae's arm. Continues to his shoulder. Donghae's perturbed. Uncertain. In appearance... Hyukjae's body is human. These wounds wouldn't look like this. If he'd been changed drastically. Even if he were...

It wouldn't be strong enough. To obstruct Donghae.

Ryeowook touches Hyukjae's head again. His palm glows. He sighs. Turns to Donghae.

"Well, there you go. He's finally up. Very confused and scared."

Donghae doesn't need to. But he reaches, too. Places his hand gently. On Hyukjae's head.

Maybe... it's just Hyukjae's current condition?

"Can you... feel his mind?" Donghae asks. Quietly.

"Hm? Well, yes, I just said, he's awake. His mind's back."

"You can... read it?"

Donghae removes his hand. Frowns at Hyukjae's sleeping body. Until he has to look across. At Ryeowook's puzzled gaze.

"Yes, I suppose?" Ryeowook says. "As you can see, there's not much to read... he's full of pain, panic, and shock, and he'll probably be that way if he wakes up again because he's recalling his attack now -- wait... why?"

Donghae finds Dr. Goi's stopped. He glances at her. Nods.

"Thank you, doctor."

She gets the message. Exits the room.

"Donghae..." Ryeowook steps around. Turns him. Peers at his face. As if he'll find answers there. "Can't you?"

Donghae tries again. Extends his hand once more. Touches Hyukjae's forehead.

"I... get nothing from him..."

 

-----

 

He hears them whisper. Questions. In confusion. Shock. Donghae shuffles. To his throne. Sits.

"Yesung... could you send one of your imps to Leeteuk so he can send it to Lust, about what we discussed earlier? Then go back up... Kyuhyun might need you..."

"Sure."

"Thanks," Donghae mutters.

Yesung disappears. His smoke does too. Donghae turns to Sungmin. Ryeowook. Reads their minds. Sighs.

"Yeah, I don't understand it either," Donghae admits. "I know I am free. I can use my powers however I want. I feel nothing of whatever pain he might be in. There's nothing connecting us... I don't think..."

"Could it be whatever magic you used to heal him?" Sungmin asks Ryeowook.

He gives Donghae a quick look. Shakes his head.

"No. It's not some ability he's developed, or I wouldn't be able to read his mind either. Even Dr. Goi can get a good sense of what he's thinking and feeling..."

Donghae drops his chin in his hand. He thinks back...

To their connection. It was forced on him. Unawarely by Hyukjae. That bridging access he'd gotten. Hyukjae said he didn't know: how to remove it. But he'd then learned to block it.

Few days before his attack... Donghae had felt something. He'd assumed it was another block. Could it have been more?

But even if it was...

Why would it matter now? He's not his master. Donghae's a powerful demon.

A ing king.

How's a skinny little boy's mind indiscernible to him?

"Donghae..."

"Hm?"

Donghae looks up. Ryeowook's observing him.

"He's healing well... and I think now that we know -- or I know -- that his mind's okay and not being damaged, I could heal him faster when he's asleep, to avoid him re-injuring himself when he wakes up. Would you mind if I did that?"

"No, that's a good idea. Let me know whenever he's about to wake up. I'll keep him calm."

"Alright."

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter