Plans

Demon King
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Donghae's gone back to sweats. A hoodie. It takes a while, usually. To part with... strange little comforts of the human world. He'll have to become unaccustomed. Not tell the difference. Not care about it.

"They make one all soft and weak," Donghae mutters.

He drops onto the couch. He just added it. To his chambers. He sits with his legs folded. Puts his hands into his hoodie's pockets.

"Oh, please cover that. I don't want to see it."

Ryeowook rolls his eyes. Steps to his massive window. Waves his hand. Thick black curtains take shape. Hide the dark red outside.

"Why not like... yellow curtains or something?" Donghae says.

"No."

"Sunflowers. They're cheerful. Oh, we don't have a sun so we should get sunflowers--"

"Donghae."

"Fine, sit."

Ryeowook gets a chair. Sits opposite.

"So?" Donghae says. "How is he, really?"

"He'll live."

"I know, but how is he?"

"I... also said it'll take some time for him to recover, but he'll live."

"How much time for him?"

"Two... three months?"

"Hm... that means he'll need to stay here. We have to do something about his school, his job, his... friend, his cousin... oh, and his birthday..."

"And Lust."

"And Lust," Donghae agrees. He glances at Ryeowook. The other's gaze is unnerving. Donghae sighs. "Go ahead, say it."

Ryeowook tilts his head. "You sound like you know what I'm going to say..."

"I might have... an inkling. I hope you'll prove me wrong."

Ryeowook... does not.

Donghae groans when he's finished. Covers his face. Spews silent curses to himself--

He quickly looks up.

"Ryeowook. Does the doctor know about this?"

"Oh, no... she thinks I did something -- of course, I was planning to, everything showed that we had to and you ordered us to, but then when we got here... I noticed I didn't need to... I'd wondered if it was you, but I thought I should be able to recognize if it was your powers..."

"Yeah, it wasn't me. I haven't tried that on anyone -- you have more experience, so I wanted to leave it to you first. I assume it's quite slow, to not be noticed until now?"

"Yes," Ryeowook says. "Very slow."

"In that case, would you be able to speed it up before he regains consciousness? He's... unfortunately sharp when it comes to this, and he'll know immediately if he's awake."

Ryeowook chuckles. "So heal him as much as possible now, then let his body do the rest when he's up?"

"Yes. Hopefully, he doesn't remember the attack... or the extent of his injuries..."

Ryeowook looks doubtful.

"Why?" Donghae asks.

"That... might be difficult, but we'll try. It will still be at least two months, even if he's careful. I'm sure you know enough about him to guess if he'll allow himself proper rest or not..."

Donghae sighs again. "Okay... we'll have to make him, then. Thank you, Ryeowook. Oh, and please keep this between us for now."

Ryeowook nods. Stands. Begins to turn. Stops. Sits back down. He crosses his legs.

"But king... I'm curious. How did you know?"

"I didn't know... I just thought it was very probable, with... everything that's happened."

"Since our meeting with Siwon?"

"I suppose, yes."

Ryeowook hums. Nods. Then he leans forward. "If you didn't know then, would you have still saved him?"

That's difficult to answer.

"I'm not sure... because as Dr. Goi said, it's not always... saving..."

He unfolds his legs. Stands. Turns to the black curtains. Opens them now.

The sky doesn't change here. It's red. Gray smoky clouds blow past. The ground is dry. Cracked. Lava bubbles out at times.

"I wonder if..." Donghae murmurs. "I would've acted on how I feel... or if I would've considered how he would feel..."

"And how do you feel?"

Donghae's conflicted.

"I... I don't know. Because it seems that despite what one feels or wants, we still have to bear the feelings that come with knowing how the other person feels, and how the other person would feel about the decisions you made based on your own wants and feelings. It's... not pleasant."

He thinks back to her. What he did was inevitable. He couldn't act, however. For too long. He kept thinking about: what she wanted. How she felt.

There would have been no end. No solution.

"Ryeowook... what would you have done, if you were in my place?"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter