An Angel

Demon King
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

"Sungmin!" Donghae comes to a stop. Breathes in. Smiles quickly. Because the other's frowning. "Sungmin, hi, how's it going?"

"Are you okay?"

"Yes..."

Donghae inhales. Swallows. Then blurts it all out. About the fake-fetcher. To scout. In Lust's territory.

Sungmin's wide-eyed.

"What... happened to the fetcher?" he asks.

"Oh," Donghae says. "Um... it got struck... and I let it die there?"

"So... it's possible that Lust now knows it was yours and she may decide to do something about us if she hadn't been planning to already?"

"Yes...?" Donghae says.

Sungmin's jaw is tighter. Lips pressed. Gaze displeased.

"But um, please don't worry, I'll handle it!" Donghae reassures. "I won't let anything happen to any of you, you know that."

Sungmin shakes his head. Pinches the bridge of his nose. Donghae hurriedly leaves.

 

----

 

Donghae does a quick check. On Hyukjae. Dr. Goi. Ryeowook. The territory's borders. Then returns. To be alone. In his chambers. He tries to think. Figure out a way. To proceed.

Yesung pops up inside his room.

"I'm your king, Yesung! You could at least knock! Announce yourself or something!"

Yesung blinks. He's holding two coffees. He turns around--

"Never mind, stay. You're here now. Is that for me?"

Ysaung hands him one.

"Is Mouse Rabbit open again?"

"No... Kyuhyun came by. Fixed some stuff."

"Tell me he came as himself after midnight and not school time."

"He came as himself after midnight and not school time."

Donghae pauses. Puts his disposable coffee cup down.

"Did he, though?"

"Yes."

"Okay, tell me about that friend of Heechul's."

"Some cyber gaming cafe owner... also a warlock... and a demon." Yesung slurps his coffee. Lets out a satisfied sigh. Smiles. "I love coffee."

"Yesung... how can he be a warlock... and a demon? He'd have to be a demon."

"Yeah, he is."

"Okay, sit down and focus." Donghae moves over. To give him space. "What are you saying? What did you see? What happened?"

The other steps over. Sits politely. Sips his coffee.

"So... I tried to follow him again. He noticed me--"

"Who? Heechul? He hasn't found out anything about the attack, has he?"

"No, Heechul's stuck at home. Kyuhyun said it's hard to talk to him because he's in a bad mood and gets mad at him for asking questions, and asks him questions instead about what he wants and then hangs up. He asked me to read his mind and find out what his problem is, but I can't go near Heechul because there are several spells on his place, and Siwon's demons too--"

"So the friend noticed you? Heechul's friend? Is he part of the Cursed Petals?"

"Yes. Yes. No."

"Why's everyone noticing you, Yesung? Are you okay? You're not overextending yourself, are you?"

Yesung shifts. Seems offended. He narrows his eyes.

"King... why do you seem more stressed? Did something happen?"

"Oh, no... I just wanted to make sure you're fine since... I have been asking you a lot..."

Yesung hums. Sips his coffee.

"I was noticed because the demon pretending to be a warlock is a superior demon, an elite member of Leeteuk's circle, and when I went after him, I didn't expect to run into someone that powerful, or I would've hid myself better. But it's fine because he let me in and we talked." Yesung glances at him. Grins. "He asked me how the boy was doing."

Donghae's realized. He feels a prick of anger.

"Shindong?"

"Yes," Yesung's pleased. Impressed. "He said that we should figure out what we're going to do with the boy and his birthday, because Heechul had plans to meet Hyukjae and celebrate, but now he's been under orders from the top to stay put..."

"That's why he's in a bad mood," Donghae murmurs.

He's recalling. A conversation with Hyukjae. He'd been texting a Shin. It was during that time: when Heechul got attacked. Hyukjae had had no contact with him. For over four days.

"How is it that Shindong knows Heechul?" Yesung says. To himself.

"Did you not ask?"

"Oh. Yes. He said to ask you."

Donghae stands. He is feeling stressed. Irked. If Shindong knows Heechul...

If he knows of the boy...

"I have to meet him."

"Shindong?"

"No, Leeteuk."

 

-----

 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter