Change

Demon King
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The days seem to fly by. Too fast. Hyukjae's competition gets closer. It's in a little over two weeks.

Donghae feels urgency. To do something. He feels he missed an important thing.

Maybe it's the extra free time. The lack of updates. Donghae's consumed by thoughts. The day just ends. And he doesn't have anything.

His phone pings.

Twigsy: Donghae, I'm practicing with Junsu after school. At school.

Donghae sighs. He replies, okay. Gets off the stool. Again. He can't sit still. Now, he has two more hours. To think.

Do nothing.

 

------

 

"Are you scared of me now?"

His question makes Hyukjae pause. The boy raises his head. Clutches his sandwich tighter. Stares. Then slowly resumes eating. His bites are smaller. He nibbles. Shakes his head.

Donghae doesn't believe him.

The boy's been... a very good kid. Too good.

He wakes up by himself. He packs his own lunch. The night before. He even prepares sandwiches. For breakfast. So he can have them ready to eat.

Which means... Donghae doesn't do anything. In the morning.

It's incredible. The boy must've thought of it all.

Normally, Donghae would hear if he's up. So he'd start preparing something. For Hyukjae. But for weeks now: Donghae opens the fridge. Sees post-it-notes. BREAKFAST's on one sandwich. LUNCH is on another.

All Donghae does now is...

Walk with Hyukjae. To the bus stop.

"Remember that time you thought I was mad, so you tried to appease me with coffee?"

Donghae's still on his couch. There's plenty of time. For Hyukjae to eat. Get to the bus stop. Donghae is truly jobless. Until the evening.

He gets to make supper, at least.

The boy doesn't answer. He's trying to hide. In his peanut butter sandwich.

"Changed tactics, have you?" Donghae says.

Hyukjae's pout comes out. Donghae smiles at that.

But still...

The boy doesn't say anything. It's... a little disappointing.

 

----

 

Well. Hyukjae did cross a line. Donghae had to get that angry. He shouldn't feel bad.

Besides. This is good. It is Hyukjae just growing up.

Essentially... Hyukjae's stopped being annoying. He doesn't whine. Doesn't stomp around. Shout. Slam doors. Huff or puff. Lie on the floor ignoring his homework.

He might in his bedroom. But not in front of Donghae.

The boy doesn't say stupid things, either. Doesn't let out giggles. Doesn't make fun of Donghae. Yell out ridiculous orders.

He's practicing almost daily. With that dance friend.

He'd texted Donghae. The first time. Told him they'll be at school. That Donghae can come. If he wants. But that he doesn't need to. Because it's just school. But if Donghae does come...

Twigsy: Could you not come into the class?

Twigsy: if it's possible.

Twigsy: you can do what you like, though...

Donghae was surprised by that. He'd pondered: how to respond. Then finally texted, "Are you shy, monkey?"

Surprisingly... Hyukjae said: yes.

Donghae had no choice. He just affirmed he won't. But that he'll be close. Invisible.

That gave him an opportunity. To get a glimpse of Junsu. Read his mind briefly. He just needed to check.

The boy's crushing hard. Even outside the class... Donghae could hear. Between the loud music beats. He kept praising Hyukjae. Kept telling him: you have to join the dance school! I've told my instructors about you! They'll love you!

Donghae even heard... an offer. To pay the fees.

The next day... Hyukjae told Donghae:

"You don't have to be in the building! Please go somewhere else! Not really far b-but like... just not... there... if, um, if you don't mind..."

So Donghae's on a stool again. Surveying. From the rooftop.

 

-----

 

Donghae's given his friends time. He doesn't want to summon them. If they're in the middle of serious work. But it . Not having anything to do.

The boy will be eighteen. It's in less than two months. Donghae doesn't know what to expect.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter