Seeking

Demon King
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Kyuhyun complains. Over and over. Follows Donghae around the castle. To make him change his mind. Donghae's been very patient. But Kyuhyun keeps repeating. The same questions. Whining. Yelling.

"What about that spell you said is on there?! How am I supposed to go into his place?!"

"Kyu... come on. You keep wanting my throne but you can't even get past a spell like that? You can break through it with no problems. You've already been there anyway, around the whole neighborhood!"

"I don't want to sleep in a kid's bed! I'm not a kid! I don't want to sleep on your couch, you said it sinks to the floor!"

"We replaced it, Kyuhyun. And you can use the apartment you got me. All you have to do is be seen coming to and leaving from Hyukjae's place..."

"But I have to go to school! I have to spend the whole day at school and work at the little store! I don't want to! I don't want to go to school! I don't want to do homework!"

"It's really not hard. You stock and you clean and greet customers. And school will be fun. You can learn about teenagers. It's only for a few more weeks, brother. The school year ends... we just need to make sure Hyukjae passes all his exams or he won't graduate."

"Why is that my problem? Why do I have to be poor and do his exams and graduate for him--?"

Donghae grabs him by the neck. Yanks him down.

"Because he worked his ing off," he hisses. Infuriated. Fed up. "Because his parents wanted him to get education. Because I am not letting that boy fail after I spent two years waking him up, feeding him, accompanying him to and from school on the bus, and making sure his homework's done." He shoves Kyuhyun away. "Understood?"

Kyuhyun rubs his neck. Fixes his clothes. Scowls. His lips are fat.

"See, that's what the boy does all day. Just act like that and you'll be fine."

"Okay... but..." Kyuhyun mumbles. "How will I know who is who at school or work and how will I know what to say or how to behave?"

"Oh, mighty devil..." Donghae rolls his eyes. "Kyuhyun... you can read minds. You're not turning human, you're just making yourself look like one and acting like him! You're still you, with all your ing powers!"

Kyuhyun looks miserable.

"But Donghae... I really don't want--"

"This is an order, Kyuhyun. You will do it and you will do it as perfectly as possible."

Donghae hears his own voice. Feels the change in himself. Sees the way Kyuhyun backs off. So he shakes his head. Steps back.

The other blinks at the ground. Pouts some more. Then sighs. Shuffles away.

"Thank you," Donghae calls. Then remembers. "Oh, and you'll have to talk to Heechul on the phone everyday!"

Kyuhyun wails. Drops himself on the floor. Kicks his feet around.

"Oh, that's what Hyukjae does too!"

 

----

 

The actual Hyukjae's still healing. Still unconscious. Donghae peeked in. A few times. The boy has had some bandages redone. He saw less red. It's a good sign.

They've set up a room. For Dr. Goi. Right beside Hyukjae's. He sees the doctor sometimes. She used to glare at him. But that's changed. She just appears puzzled.

"Does she like it?" Donghae asks Ryeowook. In a whisper.

"Oh, I guess. She asked if I knew what you wanted."

"Why would I want something? I just wanted her to be comfortable here since she's helping us out. Otherwise, it'll be just you because the rest of us are useless."

Ryeowook turns. From his heavy old book.

"Donghae... she's here and helping us because she can't not do what you say. You're the king."

"Oh. Right."

"You need something?"

"Oh, um. No. What are you doing?"

"I'm just trying to figure out your little master's situation... what might show up in him... how... or whether it will, later..."

"What have you found?"

"Not much, thanks to you."

"What did I do?"

Ryeowook goes back to his book.

"Please go now and stop strolling in the corridors around here. I can hear you and he can't because he's going to need many more days."

"Many?"

"Yes."

"How many?"

"Several."

"How much is several?"

"Donghae."

"Okay. Sorry."

 

----

 

He mopes around.

 

----

 

There's no sign of Lust. He wants her to come. Wants to see: what she has to say. But he also doesn't. Because...

He knows... what she will say.

And Donghae will have to refuse. That means using force.

They just can't have conflict. Down here. There's Hyukjae, firstly. Lust has endless followers. Most of Donghae's are doing their own thing. In the human world.

If he brings them down...

People will be unprotected. Lust can take advantage of that. The other superior demons can too. It will lead to chaos. To a growing desire. For more power. Some kings will grow stronger. Tempted. To kill. Take. From the resulting mess.

Territories will shrink. Expand. Alliances will form. Break.

It is a lot to deal with.

Finally, Donghae doesn't trust his powers. They can get uncontrollable. Too destructive.

 

----

 

Should he go?

Can he go now? Leave Hyukjae? The territory?

Sungmin's here. Ryeowook. Yesung can return any second. He just needs an order. Siwon and Kyuhyun have to stay up.

Should he wait?

For Lust to come? For Hyukjae to wake up?

"Ugh!"

Donghae stomps off his throne.

It's so hard.

 

----

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter