Chapter 7

Who are you

Jung Whee-in, the third daughter and the last child of the Jung family, was one curious child who admire her father for his job. ‘When I grow up, I want to be like daddy.’

 

In the siblings of three, Whee-in was the only one with strong sense of justice. With her father as a role model, she wanted to follow his footsteps - hoping she could help as many people as she could.

 

But the smiles and the incredible stories of her father were not as happy and easy as she thought it would be. Behind the curtain was a worn-out police officer and an exhausted father.

 

From encouraging Whee-in to study hard to pass the civil service exam, one summer Mr. Jung got promoted and tried to put a full-stop to Whee-in’s dream. He wanted Whee-in to enjoy the luxury and live a peaceful life with no guns and fights. He did not want Whee-in to find out how scary the world she was willing to enter.

 

“Why are you like this, dad? You know how much I work hard for this day.”

 

“I said no. You will not appear for the exam.” Mr. Jung stood firm with his words.

 

“You can’t stop me. I will do what I want with my life.”

 

“If you continue to be like this, you will no longer be my daughter.”

 

Whee-in hesitated for a second. She knew her father wanted to scare her with his words but she also knew her father well. She did not want to severe ties with her family but her gut feeling was telling her to take the risk. She looked at her mother who was there helpless in the situation.

                                                                                                                                       

Whee-in took a deep breath and reluctantly walk out of the house to follow her dream, hoping she made the right choice.

 

The day Whee-in got selected, her mom was the only one who was genuinely happy for her. She knew Whee-in would be successful and was silently praying for her. However, the father-daughter relationship only got worse. No one knew about them and what the daughter didn’t realized, it was her father’s way of protecting his child.

 

Mr. Jung only wanted the best for his daughters and in order to do so, he chose to follow the devil’s path. He helped in covering up the crimes caused by Byul’s men. Taking this chance to hold more power, Byul helped Mr. Jung get promoted for higher position and had him work under her. It was a win-win for both of them but Byul had the upper hand.

 

>>>

 

[Present day]

 

Whee-in’s mother was shattered when she could not reach for Whee-in and hasn’t returned home for three days. In Whee-in’s room, she picked up the photo frame on the table. The teenage Whee-in in the photo was smiling brightly. The calm and smart girl whom Mrs. Jung dearly loved had lost the smile ever since the day her husband opposed the dream of the young girl.

 

Knowing that she did not stand for her daughter and could not support her openly, Mrs. Jung felt guilty thinking about what Whee-in must have endured all these times.

 

“What are you doing here?”, Mr. Jung stood behind her, holding the door.

 

Mrs. Jung turned around with teary eyes, holding the photo frame against her chest. “My poor child. It was all my fault. I should have been there for her. What kind of a mother am I? I couldn’t even do anything for her.”

 

Mr. Jung pull her in his embrace and consoled her. Whatever that had happened, Mr. Jung assured her that was not her fault. Hearing his wife remorse for her act towards their daughter, a sense of guilt came to Mr. Jung. The rebellious daughter who always stood against him was not there in the room anymore. The empty feeling in the filled but vacant room made him realized what he had done.

 

“I promise. I will bring back my daughter.” Mr. Jung had his eyes at the laptop on the table.

 

>>>

 

A bun with a glass of water was on the tray for dinner. Yong-sun lost her appetite after all the things she had heard. She turned to Whee-in who was eating her share. In the corner of the empty room, Eric laid there covered in blood and sweat.

 

Yong-sun bit her nails as she thought of ways to escape. She couldn’t figure out about the place they were in, whether it was an underground lair or the building was in a remote region. But she knew one thing for sure considering the number of men and the security in there; it was one of the hives for Byul. And if they want to escape from there, they must take down Byul first.

 

Whee-in drank her water and glanced over to Yong-sun who was lost in her own thoughts. Whee-in straightened her back and spoke softly, “Sunbae, I have something to confess.”

 

Yong-sun fixed her eyes on Whee-in, wondering what could be so important that she needed to confess at a time like this.

 

“I have a tracking device in me.”

 

“You what?”

 

The story of a father who did not want her daughter to become a police officer and the last-minute thought of swallowing a tracking device made Yong-sun sit there speechless. 

 

“So, your father will find us, right?”

 

“I hope so.”

 

Yong-sun let out a sigh. “Anyways, what about Hye-jin? Where is she?”

 

Whee-in remembered waking up alone in the room and has not seen Hye-jin since then. At this point, they didn’t know if Hye-jin was still alive or dead.

 

Losing two of her sub-ordinates and a witness along with an injured co-worker, Yong-sun felt the burden heavier on her shoulders. The longer she waits for Whee-in’s father to find them, they might be killed before being rescued.

 

At the same time, Byul was on the phone with Mr. Jung. “Mr. Jung. You wish to talk to me?”

 

“A woman?”, Mr. Jung blurted out in surprise.

 

“What? Are you ashamed a woman is above you?”, the slight irritated tone of Byul made the other side to quickly apologize. “So, what does the mighty officer have to say?”

 

Beating around the bush was not going to help Mr. Jung find his daughter and Byul would easily see through him. He had no idea what Byul was like but judging by the orders he got, he knew Byul would be one merciless cold-hearted woman.

 

But that one reply made Mr. Jung felt sorry for Byul. “I wish my father is like you, at least. He hasn’t called me once in all the seven years I have been here.” Byul really wished her father would talk to her directly instead of relaying the messages through his men. “I have your daughter. If you want her back, come find me.”

 

Byul has made up her mind. All her hard work felt like a waste. She felt lonely despite having a sister and all those men working for her. She could only talk to her victims whom she would kill later. As much as she wanted to tell her story, she didn’t want to let anyone know that she was a daughter whom her father would never acknowledge.

 

She had killed, soiled her hands and had done what no normal human could do. Since she had gone at that length, she decided to do one last thing; a sweet revenge and starting a new life.

 

Yong-sun and Whee-in were summoned in Byul’s room. The room was dark with the windows closed. Byul had a glass of wine in her hand as she ordered Yong-sun and Whee-in to join her. Neither of them raised their glass in case something was added in it.

 

Byul stared at the two bodies sitting in front of her and chuckled. “I didn’t put anything in there. But I understand.” She finished her drink and made herself comfortable on her seat. “Whee-in, do you love your father?”

 

Both the women looked at Byul surprisingly. The tense in Whee-in’s face made Byul to laugh. “I guess you do then. Seeing a father-daughter relationship always make me soft.”

 

Whee-in never hated her father. She was only hurt by what her father had done to her and couldn’t bring herself to forgive him. She asked Byul if she knew who her father was.

 

“I had just talk to him. He will come here soon. You don’t have something in you, do you?”, Byul shift her eyes from Whee-in’s face to her torso.

 

“How did he know you?”, Yong-sun suspiciously asked.

 

“How do you think I know him?” The smirk on Byul’s face, the fact that Whee-in father was the head of police and the cases being closed with no proper reasons, Yong-sun has finally connected the dots.

 

“My father works for you?”, Whee-in stood up angrily. ‘How could he?’, Whee-in clenched her fist tightly fighting the urge to meet her father right that moment. Yong-sun tried to calm Whee-in down and seeing Byul was enjoying the drama she had created, Yong-sun could not wait to arrest this woman with her own hands.

 

The door burst open and a man hurried in to whisper on Byul’s ear. Byul grinned and dramatically announced, “Your father has found me. Finally, you will win.”

 

In a few minutes, the whole place was frenzied with the news of police on their way towards it. The guns were loaded and the walls were secured. One after another, they would come in to whisper on Byul’s ear and every time her lips would form a smirk. Byul was rather calm despite knowing that the police were coming. Yong-sun gazed to the insane woman in front of her admiring how she maintains her posture even in this situation which could decide her destiny.

 

“Where’s Hye-jin?”, Whee-in looked into Byul’s eyes, hoping Hye-jin was still alive. Byul maybe one cold-hearted and cruel woman but she never lied to her victims. The twist in her words decides whether her victim dies with hatred, fear or a thought of vengeance. She loved the look in their faces after knowing the truth and finally get to kill them.

 

“She is in one of the rooms. Finders keepers.” Byul left the room with the door opened. Few of her men came up and she was quick on her feet leaving the two in the room. Yong-sun and Whee-in instantly stood up to make for a run.

 

“Whee-in, I will find Hye-jin. You go back to Eric and make sure he is alright.” The two agreed to go separate ways. Whee-in hurried off to the way they had come before. “Whee-in!” Whee-in turned back to Yong-sun. “Be careful.”

 

Yong-sun carefully opened all the doors to the rooms she came across without making Byul’s men notice her. She cautiously moves downstairs as she heard muffle sound of gunshots. Spontaneously, a group of men ran towards her way and the gunshots were loud this time. Yong-sun quickly opened the nearest door to hide. The room was a mess with bottles and glasses on the table and on the floor. Snacks were scattered all over the place. On the right, a black curtain covered the entrance to another room.

 

Yong-sun picked up one of the alcohol bottles and cautiously check the other room. There was no sound nor any sign of the men. She flung the curtain aside and saw Hye-jin laying on the bed half-. She quickly covered Hye-jin with the blanket and tried to wake her up. Hye-jin did not respond, sleeping like a baby. Yong-sun looked around to find used syringes and remains of white powder on packets. She picked those up covered with tissue papers to serve as an evidence.

 

Right that moment, the armed police squad burst in the room pointing their loaded guns at them. Yong-sun raised her hands and declared she was a detective. Finally, Yong-sun and Hye-jin were brought out to safety.