Chapter 10

Who are you

Yong-sun sat across the doctor as he explains to her about the situation they were in. “So, they are identical twin or as we call Monozygotic twin. They have the same blood type and same body traits. It’s hard to say who is who. Here is the report. This is all we can do.” The doctor handed a file to Yong-sun. “One way to find out is to consult a forensic expert. They might have fingerprint records.”

 

Yong-sun strolled towards the special ward with the file in her hand. She looked at the guarded door and stopped. Just then, the phone in her coat buzzed. “Hello? Whee-in. Nice timing. I need you to do something.”

 

Yong-sun opened the door and inside, Moon was staring out of the window. “What are you looking at?” Yong-sun went and stood next to Moon.

 

“Everything on the outside. Do you want one of this?”, Moon held up a choco-shake bottle. Yong-sun took a bottle from Moon and both sat down to have their daily conversation.

 

To Yong-sun, Byul was not some ordinary woman. She doubted Byul would do anything reckless to loss her memory. Either it was her plan or something went wrong with the plan. Nevertheless, Yong-sun will keep her eyes on Moon.

 

Whee-in entered the office in fast pace and neatly place a paper on Yong-sun’s desk. “I got the result. The finger print on the bottle matched with Moon Seulgi.”

 

“Really?”, Yong-sun checked the paper. Even after seeing the fact, at the back of her mind Yong-sun could not believe it. She felt uneasy and uncomfortable for what was happening.

 

Two weeks passed and the frequent visit with short conversations, Moon stated Yong-sun was like a friend to her. Yong-sun thought it would be better if she treated Moon as a friend to help her remember. Still, Moon has not recovered her memories. She could not remember her name, her family and what she did in her life. Like her life was reset from the accident.

 

Her step-family in Italy refused to take in Moon and help her. They did not want to cross path with the Moon sisters again. Without the names of the sisters in the family tree, the police could not force them either.

 

“I bought you chicken.” Yong-sun placed the box on the side table and sat down on the chair beside the bed. Moon quickly opened the box and drooled over the fried chicken. She helped herself in stuffing while offering some to Yong-sun.

 

“When will I leave this place? I want to go out.” Moon felt like a caged bird inside the hospital even though she was perfectly fine, except the memory loss.

 

Yong-sun cleared and reply, “Well, the chicken…is for your discharge celebration.”

 

Moon surprisingly look at Yong-sun. “For real?”

 

“Yes. But have you decided where to stay after this?”

 

“No. I don’t even have any money.”

 

Yong-sun could leave Moon to survive on her own but she wanted to keep her eyes on Moon. She bought Moon to her late grandmother’s house and let her stay there till she was financially stable to move out. Moon took on part-time jobs to avoid being a burden to Yong-sun and support herself.

 

At first, Yong-sun doubt Moon with her memory loss. She suspected Moon could be pretending but after bringing in a ‘maybe or maybe not’ murderer to live with her while risking her life and study Moon’s behavior since she was the only one who knew both the sisters, Yong-sun got even more confused on who this Moon was.

 

Moon would sometimes be shy and cooperative like Seulgi and sometimes overflow with confidence like Byul. She showed her love for music and requested Yong-sun to help her attend classes. Also, she would eagerly ask Yong-sun about the crime cases she was working on. All this mixed behavior heats up Yong-sun’s head and stress out while thinking about itself.

 

 

 

Yong-sun was ready to go for work. “Seul-…umm…Moon?” Yong-sun could not bring herself to call Moon as Seulgi yet.

 

“Yeah?”, Moon came out from her room all dress up.

 

“Are you going for your classes?”

 

“Yes. Is there something to do?”

“I found out where you used to live. Do you want to go check it out? Maybe take a few things. Who knows they might bring your memory back?”

 

“Sure. I will call you after my classes.”

 

Yong-sun and Moon drove to the rental building Seulgi used to live. They asked the landlord and he guided them to the room. The room was dusty and hard to breathe. Yong-sun opened the windows to let the fresh air enter. While Moon look around, Yong-sun came out with the landlord.

 

“When did she lost the key?”, the landlord asked Yong-sun.

 

“For quite some time now.” Yong-sun faked a laugh.

 

“Why does she lose something all the time? She lost her passport too.”

 

Yong-sun was intrigued by the information. “She lost her passport? When?”

 

“I can’t remember well. Maybe around 6-7 months ago. She said she will get a new passport. Aigoo. She was fuming about going through the procedure…and suddenly she was gone without any notice.”

 

“Did she pay her rents?”

 

“Yes. She wires me the money every month. Except for the last two months. Since she is back, she should pay it.”

 

Yong-sun dropped Moon back at their house and she went straight for her office. Her mind could not stop thinking about what the landlord said. ‘If she got a new passport, she must have got her fingerprint scanned again. 6-7 months. And she was gone without notice. Was it after I met her? But in that short period of time, it’s not possible. Is it a coincidence or…planned?’

Yong-sun bit her lip and exhaled loudly. It seemed her head would get fried anytime soon.

 

 

Days passed and Moon’s behavior slowly convinced Yong-sun to believe she maybe Seulgi. The doctors concluded that Moon might have loss her memory permanently.

 

With Byul’s death, Yong-sun prayed her grandmother rest in peace and although she didn’t like it, Whee-in’s father was saved from an unfortunate fate. Hye-jin, at the end, was free and she continued her father business.

 

Moon promised to move out from Yong-sun’s house, however Yong-sun still had this urge to keep her eyes at Moon. Yong-sun rented out one of the rooms in the house to Moon and made her stay under the same roof.

 

Moon became closed with Yong-sun and get along with Whee-in too. But sometimes, she feels troubled when they bring up about her memory and talk about the Byul. She could not remember even her name and when she was called Seulgi, she just could not get use to it. Yong-sun saw her insecurities and try to be careful while talking about sensitive topics.

 

On the other hand, Eric gathered enough courage to proposed to Yong-sun and finally, the two were dating.

 

A day out with Eric made Yong-sun to grinned brightly the whole day. She could not remember the last time her heart fluttered and was elated about a date.

 

She opened the front door slowly and tip-toed inside. It was late and she didn’t want to wake Moon up.

 

“You are back.”

 

Yong-sun flinched when Moon said it while standing in the kitchen, looking at her. “Ah…yes. I am back.”

 

“Wanna join me?”, Moon held up the spoon and gave a quirky smile.

 

Moon ate with Yong-sun the ice-cream she bought while sitting opposite to Yong-sun. “Yong-sun, can I ask you something?”

 

Yong-sun stopped eating and stared at Moon. “Yes. What is it?”

 

“Why is it that I can’t remember anything? I mean I am doing everything what the doctors tell me to do but…nothing is helping me.”

 

Yong-sun was a bit surprise to see Moon like this. “Hey, you don’t have to force yourself. It’s okay if it takes time.”

 

Moon flicked her finger nail as she avoids Yong-sun’s eyes. “But I want to remember. I am so sick of everyone asking me every day if I remember who I was…I don’t care if I was the murderer. I want to get over this.”

 

“The doctors said it could be permanent. It’s not your fault. We tried everything for you to remember.” Yong-sun reach out her hand to caress Moon’s hand on the table. “But if you want, tomorrow I will take you somewhere. It’s actually the last option to remember.”

 

The next day, Yong-sun and Eric took Moon to the prison where her father was held captive. Both the sisters did not like their father and Yong-sun hoped maybe the hatred might ignite a spark and bring back the memories.

 

“This is your father that I told you about. Can you remember him?”, Moon sat there with Yong-sun looking at the old man behind the glass separating them.

 

“If…this is my father, then where is my mother?”

 

“Your step-family is in Italy right now.” Yong-sun noticed the intense gaze of Moon with her father.

 

Mr. Moon narrowed his eyes and glared at Moon. “Are you sure you are Seulgi? Well, it doesn’t matter. Whichever one you are, you will pay for what was done. And if you turned out to be Byul, you know what I will do.”

 

Yong-sun stepped in, “Mr. Moon. I didn’t bring her so you can’ rant your anger. We want you to co-operate and help her remember.”

 

“You useless piece of .” Mr. Moon kept staring at Moon to see her reaction. But she sat there silently staring back at him. Eric and Yong-sun watched the father-daughter staring at each other.

 

“You say he is my father but…I can’t recall his face.” Moon squinted her brows as she stared at her father.

 

Mr. Moon sneered at Moon, “I will make you remember this face. Just wait.”

 

It did not go well like Yong-sun had hoped. She frowned seeing Moon walked beside them quietly. The sad atmosphere was too much for Eric to bear and he cracked a joke, making the two women smile. Eric and Yong-sun tried their best to lift up the mood and Moon went along with them.

 

That night, Moon opened her secret diary and wrote down –

 

‘Day 128 of living with my lady.

Today she took me to meet my father. I don’t know why that man had to tag along. I could just…But she looked so beautiful. So close yet so far away. To see her trying hard to gain my memory, I can’t help but fall for her more. Changing my body for five months was worth it. Maybe I should keep pretending for the rest of this life. It’s fun.

And my dad, it looks like he will die soon. He rocked the prison uniform by the way. And what could he do? Whether I am Byul or Seulgi, I will make sure he rots in hell.

Anyways, Seulgi’s life is not so bad.

 

Signing off, your dear psycho.”

 

 

 

A/N: We have finally reached the end of this fanfic. It was quite stressful writing a story when English is not my first language. But I tried to portray the story as I imagined. I hoped my dear readers enjoyed this not so good fanfic. Thank you for the subscribes, comments and upvotes. See you again when I come back with a new story.