Chapter 6

Who are you

They say blood is thicker than water and Moon Byul-yi was willing to do anything to get acknowledge by her father but Moon Seulgi beg to differ. Knowing her family’s illigal works and about the black money, Seulgi never wanted to be a part of the family. Being twins with Moon Byul-yi, Seulgi thought Byul would side with her but she was proved wrong when Byul killed Marco and threatened her for disobeying their father.

 

The craziness in the family was beyond Seulgi’s comprehension. The longer she stays there, Seulgi believed she might turn out to be like them. She saved up enough money to start a new life and secretly left Italy for Seoul. And as expected, no one looked for her because she was a nobody to them.

 

The separation did not affect the twins and both carried on with their lives. Seulgi was finally living the peaceful life she had wanted and Byul continued to do the dirty works for her father.

 

 

 

It was one of the those thundering rainy nights where your own voice drowns in the rain. Byul was drenched by the rain as she stood in front of the mansion. It has been five months since Seulgi left and all of a sudden, Byul missed her.

 

It was the first time Byul made an intentional mistake. She had always hated the Italian Mafia who always looked down on her father and belittled him. As usual, she was to deliver Mr. Moon’s monthly payment to the Mafia.

 

Working in this field from a young age, Byul had learned a lot from Marco. She studied the Mafia’s daily life and schedules to strike at the right time. The delivery was the perfect stage to get rid of the Mafia.

 

Byul hoped her father would be happy to know that the Mafia won’t bother him ever again but the world turned upside down when Mr. Moon slapped her in front of her family. Byul was used to her father thrashing her but that one slap hurt more than the cut and bruises.

 

The sneer on her step-mother’s face, the looks on her step-siblings made her heart burn with rage. Her palm tingles as she clenched it into a fist. She pursed her lips, hanging her head low while listening to her father rant out at her. “Do you know what have you got me into? I could get killed any moment now.”

Mr. Moon grasped Byul by her neck and glared. “You can’t even do one thing without causing any trouble. Useless.” He pushed her back and growled in anger.

“You. You are going back to Seoul.” Mr. Moon took out his credit card and threw it on Byul’s face. “Don’t come back here again. Keep a low profile and manage the association there. Do whatever you want. Just don’t come back here if you don’t want to die. Leave right now.” Like a directed scene, the thunder rumbled at the end of her father’s words.

 

Byul stood in the rain with her luggage in front of the mansion. Seulgi used to counsel Byul whenever she gets in trouble and tonight there was no Marco nor Seulgi to talk to her.

 

“You only care about your life, don’t you?”, Byul stared at the photo of her and Seulgi on her phone screen.

 

--------

 

“Hey, sister.” With the red sunglasses on and the auburn coat, Byul ramp walk towards her twin.

 

“B-byul!”, Seulgi was shook to see Byul outside her music class. Her friends beside her stood there in agape, not believing Seulgi would actually have such a cool twin.

 

“Byul. When did you arrive in South Korea?”

 

Byul ignored her sister’s word and greeted the friends with a smile. “Hi. I’m Moon Byul-yi, Seulgi’s twin.” The friends were thrilled with only an introduction. They introduced themselves while blushing over Byul’s dominating aura.

 

“Ladies, do you mind if I borrow Seulgi for a while? It will be quick.”

 

“No, no. Take your time.” The friends pushed Seulgi towards Byul and hurried off from the area. Seulgi looked at her phone and there was a message from her friends. ‘You better share her number to us if you don’t want any punishment.’

 

The twins sat opposite to each other in the café near the college. Byul sip her bitter coffee before answering Seulgi’s question. “Last year. I came here last year. I wanted to see how my twin is doing but I see you are alright.”

 

“When will you go back?”, Seulgi felt unsettled to have Byul around knowing how she was like.

“Wow. You must really don’t like me.”

 

“It’s not that way. I just want to-“

 

“No, I am not going back.” Byul beamed. Seulgi widened her eyes on hearing it and seeing Byul happily drink her coffee. “Why?”

 

“Just.” Byul chuckled and finish her coffee. “Good luck with whatever you are doing now. See you next time.” Seulgi was left wondering alone in the café of why Byul did not want to go back.

 

Byul left Suelgi to arrive at a crime scene. She parked the car a little further away from the area. Byul was smiling to herself while watching Yong-sun do her duty at the crime scene.

 

The previous night, the victim and his family were seated on the sofa in the dimly lit living room. In one of the dark corners, Byul sat there to hide her face. The wife hugged her daughter while clinging onto her husband shirt. “Why are you doing this to us?”

 

Byul steepled her hands and answered, “Lately, I am have been thinking a lot about someone who wants to find me. She is beautiful, smart and dangerous. I want to get my hands on her before she gets me. But you see, she is giving up on me soon and I don’t want that. I want to keep entertaining her. I want to add some spice in her life. Are you getting me? She is a detective and what does a detective do?” Byul gazed at the frightened faces with a sneer.

 

“Please don’t do this.” The husband begged.

 

“Shhshh.” Byul put her index on her lips. “Don’t give me that look. It will be quick and less painful, alright? Please be my sacrificial lamb. I want my darling to feel desperate about me.”

 

The way Yong-sun slick back her hair in frustration at the crime scene and order her sub-ordinates screamed y to Byul’s eyes. She would be willing to kill even more just to see that desperate look. Fantasizing herself tying Yong-sun up, a tingle feeling ran down her body making her more excited.

 

Byul would be in front of the Morning café every day waiting for Yong-sun. She would have her men tail Yong-sun and also hired a photographer to take Yong-sun’s pictures. Stalking Yong-sun has become an obsession for Byul ever since she saw Yong-sun at the station while trying to bail out one of her important men. Byul would imagine Yong-sun on the palm of her hand and having Yong-sun for herself.

 

 

“Bring her.” The order came from the phone and the policeman hung up the call. He walked back to the room where Hye-jin was left.

 

“When did she escaped?”, the policeman look around and found his jacket missing. “Arggghh. Damn it.”

 

Byul was savoring her lunch. One of her man entered and reports, “The girl escaped again.” Byul put down the chopsticks and glared at the man. “Find her then.”

 

When Byul found out Hye-jin has sought help from Yong-sun, she wanted to play around with Yong-sun. Instead of killing Hye-jin right away, Byul used her as a bait to lure Yong-sun. “Let her go.”

 

------

 

The night was not even over yet Byul had the two men who shot Yong-sun’s grandmother summoned in her lair. “I said kill the girl. Not the old woman.”

 

The two men were surrounded by Byul’s men. It was their first time seeing the person who always gave them orders. They never once thought they could have been working for a woman all this time.

 

“We are sorry. The light went off so-“

 

“So, you killed the old woman instead.” Byul gave a stern look at them and reach out her hand to take the gun from one of her men. “I just want to make my darling feel more desperate. Well, now she will be. Right?”

 

The two men peeked at each other. Knowing how unpredictable Byul was, they had to be careful of what they say and do. For the mistake they have made, they must take this chance to make up for it. They nodded to agree with Byul.

 

“However, you still made a mistake.” Byul stared at them. One of them immediately kneeled down and ask for forgiveness. “That’s right. You should apologize.” The other one also quickly followed and begged for mercy.

 

“But don’t you think you are apologizing to the wrong person?”

 

The two men looked up with utter confusion.

 

“Go and say sorry to my darling’s granny. Okay?”, Byul smiled flashing an ok hand sign. “But first, you should know how she felt.” Byul held up the gun and shot the two men on their left shoulders, making them groan with pain on the floor.

 

“Does it hurt?”, Byul crouched down, tilting her head to the side and enjoying the bloody scene. “Alright. Time to go.” This time the bullets went straight for the brains, killing them instantly.

 

“Clean this up. I have a funeral to attend tomorrow.”

 

Byul put on her best black suit and arrive at the funeral house. As she stood there, she watch Yong-sun spacing out and even on a woeful day like this, Byul couldn’t help but think ‘How could you be so beautiful even with those swollen eyes, Miss Kim Yong-sun.’

 

Byul approached Yong-sun and tried to have a conversation. “Miss Yong-sun, do you want any company?”

 

“I am sorry, Byul. I need to go.”

 

Byul stood there looking at the direction Yong-sun hastily left. She heave an exasperated sigh, “Again.”

 

She took out her phone and typed a message. 'Send it'. Wearing a smirk on her face, Byul was elated of what was to come. "Kim Yong-sun. See you soon."

 

[You have a new mail.]

 

From: [email protected]

[Do not reply]

 

You know what to do.

 

As soon as the mail was read, it was permanently deleted from the desktop.

 

“Sir, the meeting will start soon.”

 

“Okay. I will be right behind you.” Mr. Jung check once more to make sure the mail was deleted before leaving his office. He closed the door and hurried off for the meeting. The name plate on the door read- Chief Police Officer.