Oracle

The Resistance: Rouge Demigod

Kyungsoo felt like at any moment he’d feel the piercing pain of an arrow head in his flesh, or the blade of a sword through his limb. It was possible, considering everyone immediately began attacking each other. Kai and Kyungsoo being the odd ones out, not picking a side. 

They ran. Far into the woods. Kai followed after the son of Ares.

Kyungsoo led them to Alec’s cabin which looked to be ransacked and overthrown. It did not look like it used to. Its brick walls no longer held a continuity and broke every other stone. It was a mess.

 

But Kyungsoo didn’t have time to be nostalgic about their camp counselors home, he ran into the abandoned place and flew up the stars, Kai carefully following behind him with his weapon ready.

 

“Where are we going?” He asked.

 

“To get the oracle,”

 

“Who?”

 

Kyungsoo didn’t answer this time, only climbed up the crooked stairs of the attic, careful not to fall over.

 

He could have asked Kai to teleport them, but he didn’t want to burden him.

 

The attic hatch had already been opened, as if someone had already entered. 

 

 “We have to get this before Chanyeol does. This is what he came for. If he gets the oracle, then all demigods will cease to exist. Heck...probably all gods.”

 

“How does that make any sense?”

 

“If they kill the oracle, the one who gives prophecies then there is no future for demi gods or gods alike. It all makes sense.”

 

Kai watched Kyungsoo rummage through parchment papers that were littered with scribbles and strange inscriptions. It was legible, but ancient greek. 

 

Once he’d moved all the papers from the large coffin-like box, Kyungsoo blew off the thick mound of dust that formed on top.

 

“The oracle…lives in this?” Kai questioned.

 

Kyugsoo nodded, “Well…technically she doesn’t really live.”

 

He said before opening the box.

—--------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Baekhyun vaguely remembered what Mount Olympus looked like. It was cloudy, misty and being half mortal, he could feel the lack of air so high up. He saw a large white gate that he knew was where most of the gods resided.

He tried to remember the faces of the gods, but really could only remember his mothers whom he’d seen more than once.

Just a second ago he’d been stabbed in the stomach with a blade, and now he was magically floating into Mount Olympus. Oh, and he’s somehow met Jongdae all at the same time? 

It was odd. He had a million questions, but at the same time he knew what kind of trickery and magic the gods were capable of doing. If the gods required to meet someone, they would have it done. It was simple and Baekhyun felt relief in knowing he didn’t have to think about the physics of this. He could be in a dream, perhaps a different dimension curated by the gods, either way he was here just without the large wound in his abdomen.

 

“Welcome,” someone whispered in his ear.

 

Baekhyun jumped a little upon feeling the cold breath against his nape. When he turned, there were two sets of glittering eyes staring at him.

 

“Son of Aphrodite,” Hermes tapped his chin.

 

The god of messages was more cunning than ever. As he tapped his chin, he circled around Baekhyun like a piece of meat ready to be sold into the market. Perhaps Hermes was cooking up a joke or a plan that could trick Baekhyun for his own enjoyment. It wasn’t off character for him to do so.

 

“I’ve been sent to Mt Olympus…to speak to the gods,” Baekhyun stated his reasoning.

 

“Ah…I see. Very well, follow me.”

 

Baekhyun obliged. He was led into the same conference room he saw two years ago, a circle of thrones in which three were the biggest for Zues, Poseidon and Hades. For now, Hades’ seat was vacant, but all the other gods were present, their eyes showing little emotion.

 

Baekhyun turned to the left where he always knew his mother’s throne always was. She had a small smile on as she gracefully sat on the throne, her slim legs crossed over one another.

 

Baekhyun immediately bowed.

 

Zeus spoke then, “You may rise.”

 

The demigod knew what it felt like to be in the presence of the gods, but being here alone…it was a different experience. He was overwhelmed with those sharp divine eyes looking into the soul. He knew some mortals were forbidden to see gods because of how powerful their image was, he now knew what it felt like. Their rays of light prominent, their postures perfectly straight, some holding their squired weapons-Zues with his lightning bolt, Poseidon with his trident.

 

“We’ve been told…from a soul in the underworld that a meeting with you is necessary,” Poseidon said this time.

 

Baekhyun gulped, “I believe so,”

 

“What is the problem demigod?”

 

“We are at war lord Zues,” Baekhyun pursed his lips, not sure how to phrase his next words.

 

He looked at his mother for guidance, but she continued to smile at her son like she was daydreaming.

 

“I…personally believe that as a demigod…one of your kin that we ask for some help in this time of distress.”

 

“A war?” Zues raised an eyebrow.

 

Hermes who was sitting on the far right throne queried,“Oh come on, isn’t it obvious. It’s quite entertaining. Actually this war is the talk of the town. I haven’t heard so much gossip since Troy.”

 

Zeus looked slightly irritated that his divine son had interrupted his thoughts, but decided to ignore him, “I see…war. This is not something strange to me, but wars end with a winner. There is not really a lot I can help with.”

 

“You don’t understand,” Baekhyun said quickly, “This war isn’t just any war for some maiden or about money or goods. Olympus is on the line here.”

 

“That’s what every hero says to get out help,” One of the gods, Baekhyun couldn’t tell which laughed.

 

“I’m being serious. These demigods we’re fighting they’re called rouge demigods. They’re fighting till the end. They want to destroy camp half blood…steal the oracle and eventually reach mount olympus-”

 

“What nonsense!” Hermes crossed his arms over one another, “Some measly demigods cannot enter mount olympus and simply overthrow it.”

 

Baekhyun clenched his jaw, trying not to be bothered by being talked down to, but this was a god's part time job. To feel superior this is how they grow stronger.

 

“There is also…a strong demigod leading the army.”

 

“Who?” Zeus asked.

 

“Your son.”

 

The god of the sky paused. His face flickered with a look, but Baekhyun was too naive to pinpoint it at the time. Later he realized Zues was…disappointed. Some would say that he should perhaps be happy, for the very son he hadn’t saved much hope for was finally making something out of himself. But all the gods knew that glory was special. It had to be heroic glory and in that case, whoever was leading the camp army was the true hero. The right side of history. Junmnyeon, the son of Poseidon would fight Chanyeol to the death and claim the glory. 

Baekhyun’s eyes glanced over at Poseidon whose lips curled into a sly smile. He had perhaps known? Asked the fates about his son's destiny and led Zues into a massive trap. No one really knew the truth.

 

“Ah…my dear son seems to be speaking the truth,” Aphrodite rose from her throne.

 

She addressed the other Olympians, almost as a plea. Baekhyun hadn’t seen her in a state like this. He’d only known some gods who’d stand up for their children. He imagined his mother wouldn’t be one of them, but here she was giving up what little pride she had and using a tinge of charmspeak to help her words.

 

          He remembered what Chayeols mother had told him last time. How Aphrodite had been the one to change the fate of their families life. Now he believed it to be true. 

 

“We all know from history an angry son of Zues is never to be left out in the wild.” She mentioned, “You are powerful, father we cannot deny that your spawn should be the same,”

 

Maybe it was the charmspeak, or simply the truthful words that hit all the gods by a truck, but Baekhyun could sense a change in atmosphere. Even Hermes had raised an eyebrow. Then, when there was silence, Ares spoke up.

“I agree of course. We all  know the stupid prophecy about the sons of a great leader and how they overtake their father almost everytime. We wouldn’t want that to happen to you, would we?” He looked at Zeus.

 

Baekhyun looked at the gods with anticipation. 

He knew he was in some type of in between dream world, but he felt so real and present in the moment he couldn’t differentiate. All the nerves in his body were sending electrical messages to his brain, excited, nervous, passionate.

The king of all gods clenched his jaw as if considering the words brought forth.




“I ask you once again, Lord Zues…” Baekhyun looked up at the god, thinking about what to say next.

All he needed to do was to look to his mother who gave him an expression that read: go on son, you know you are doing now.

 

“Why do you believe your kind should be saved?” Zeus asked a simple question.

 

Baekhyun’s answer was dependent on the wellbeing of his friends, his family…Chanyeol.

 

Baekhyun sighed, “I knew of a titan once…he was bitter…bitter of the gods and their doings. He was so angry that he decided perhaps a different species should be created, one with less power, mortality…naivety…” He could see something change in Zeus, a recollection of memories.

 

“Prometheus fell in love with his creations. He tended to them, gave them gifts, like fire and other technology. He was a good leader…” Baekhyun continued,

 

 “Mortals had Prometheus and his love and his care, but we have nothing.

 

“What are you insinuating, demigod?” Zeus asked.

 

“That demigods are the forgotten middle child in this universe. We don’t have the gods behind us, and scarcely the mortals because of our rarities. We are outcasts and the very thing that we have come together and called home-camp half blood will be in shambles. Prometheus had every right to be angry because he was telling the truth…”



“Shouldn't you be happy and grateful that we’ve bestowed your kind with powers and rarities,” Hermes argued

 

“What are all these gifts without love?” Baekhyun responded, “Had any of the demigods that became rogues been given a hint of love no war would have occurred. If you give us such great powers you must tread carefully with the vessel that holds them otherwise you risk being overthrown.”

 

“This demigod speaks wisely.” Someone else spoke then.

 

Baekhyun watched the goddess Athena lift her hand as if to not let anyone speak between her.

 

“I would like to help him,” 

 

Once all of the Gods realized that Athena had spoken most of them nodded along with her. Was it blind following? Baekhyun didn’t care for it, he was just happy that he was finally being heard.

Even Zeus bit his lip as if to hold back his agreement.

 

“Very well…what is it you ask us to do so that we can help?”

 

Baekhyun smiled.

—----------------------------------------------------------------

 

After Baekhyun had gotten the information he needed to save the camp he was finally dismissed by the gods. As he walked out the entrance he wasn’t surprised to see his mother, her eyes bright speckled with gold and long blonde hair almost waving in a non-existent wind.

 

“Well done,” She smiled.

 

Baekhyun was surprised by the sudden compliment, “Thank you, but I couldn’t have done it without charmspeak.”

 

Aphrodite held her hand over his mouth to hide her small chuckle.

 

Baekhyun's face flickered with confusion, “What?”

 

“You weren’t using charmspeak, my dear. I would know. It was all your words and yours only,” She waved one last time before disappearing.

 

Then just when Baekhyun reached his hand out to catch up to her he woke up with a start.

—---------------------------------------------------------------------------



Junmnyeon was fast, but not fast enough. Powerful, but didn’t hold the crude and brutal strength like Chanyeol fought with. At one point, he thought he would die, but he trudged on, using his trident to block each passing attack made from the son of Zues and his allies. 

He imagined all of Chanyeol’s imminent strength came from seeing Baekhyun who had just been stabbed to death. It was rage, and pent up anger and gods knows what.

“You will pay,” He said almost in a trance.l

 

Junmyeon wanted nothing more but peace, but seeing that yellowish tinge in his eyes and the brute force of his obsidian sword against his trident, he knew he had no choice. There was no hope. Chanyeol would serve the same fate as Jongdae and he did not need a prophecy to prove it.

 

The son of Poseiden barely dodged his attacks now. His sword came from under, almost slicing his throat. Junmnyeon flew back on his hands. He stood up again in resilience. He felt the other campers helping him, fighting the other rogue demigods while he dealt with the bigger monster, but they were not as nearly angered as they were.

Rogue demigods had purpose. They had a drive, but all the campers had was their hearth. They didn’t care for the gods so much as the rogue’s did. They were one in the same except when camp half blood would fall they would have been fighting for nothing.

 

Just as Junmnyeon picked up his trident again, he was knocked over by Chanyeol’s strong fist right into his gut. He doubled over, coughing up a little phlegm and blood. He looked up with a fierce look.

 

“Stop this madness,” Junmnyeon almost pleaded.

 

“You started it,” Chanyeol kicked his body on the ground again, holding his sword high.

 

Junmnyeon caught his breath and held his hand out, summoning all the water from the earth to rise. Across the entire field a million small water particles rose floating into the air. Then with one swift breath Junmnyeon blew a strong cold magical wind and suddenly the droplets had become deadly ice needles.

 

Some demigods scrambled realizing if they didn’t dodge the sharp hail they may die. Chanyeol only sighed, as if it were a minor inconvenience. 

“Duck!” He heard a demigod say.

 

A thousand pieces of glass-like ice began hitting the ground. It made loud clanking sounds, and some people yelped from feeling the hail.

 

Yet, it was only Chanyeol who seemed unphased by Junmyeon’s magic. The son of Zeus easily manipulated the air around him and made it so that the ice hail didn’t even touch his armor.

Chanyeol held his sword up fiercely. His eyes grew more and more yellow. He was on a power high. Junmnyeon hadn’t seen this since Jongdae.

All big three children were powerful and when they were angry they went to such lengths their ability became one of an immortal. 

 

“Chanyeol-you need to stop,” Junmnyeon held out his trident cautiously.

 

Behind them several rouge demigods had raided some of the cabins, catching fire to the wood structures and looting what was inside them, ambrosia, personal belongings, picture frames all being thrown to the ground and destroyed.

“It is not too late,” Chanyeol held up his sword ready to end it, “You can join my side, demigod. You can join the good people for once,”

 

—-----------------------------------------------------------

 

Kyungsoo almost fell back if it weren’t for Kai who caught him just in time.

The oracle stood tall. Much taller than he had remembered. Her glowing blue skin wasn’t as vibrant, but her head almost touched the ceiling of the attic. 

Her eyes glowed, skin looking so fragile and delicate with one touch it looked like it would fall off. 

“Great…oracle,” Kyungsoo managed to get the words out.

 

The oracle grunted before turning to look at Kai, perhaps from curiosity or having simply not seen him before at camp. 

 

The son of Hephaestus almost fell back when the Oracle began floating towards him. Kai’s hand found a few boxes to lean on as the Oracle. Her long black hair rested on his shoulders, and her eyes began to glow a bright icy blue.

Kyungsoo straightened up, recognizing the beginning of the recitation of a prophecy.

 

But as soon as her eyes had glowed, it slowly became dimmer and dimmer.

The oracle fell to her knees, knocking down Kai with her.

 

“What's the matter with…her?” Kai asked.

 

Kyungsoo's eyes widened. He gulped, “I think…she’s dying.”

 

—----------------------------------------------------------------

 

Baekhyun felt heavy. Especially near his abdomen area. Last he remembered, he was in Mt. Olympus speaking to the gods in a weird dream-like world. Yet, as he began to open his eyes he knew that he’d actually spoken to them.

He looked around him, realizing the camp-half blood infirmary was just as he remembered, except it was b with busy bodies. Wondering if anyone had noticed he’d awoken he attempted to lift his body up. To his surprise he was met with the worried eyes of Mina.

She looked like she’d been crying for several hours. Her face was puffy and her arms full of scratches and dirt probably from having to bulldoze around the war area.

 

“Baekhyun-”she sobbed.

 

“Hey-hey why are you crying? I’m fine. I’m okay,” He didn’t mean to but he winced at the last statement. Perhaps because he’s moved his body a bit too quickly to sit up.

 

“This war…it isn’t going to end until someone dies right? I just don’t want it to be you,” Mina's voice quivered.



Baekhyun smiled, “I’m much stronger than that.” 

 

Mina pursed her lips, her frail arms shaking. She looked like she’d been meaning to say something but held back.

 

“I’ve been meaning to say this to you, Baekyun. Before-before you were injured…I had a dream. Actually-I’ve been having dreams for a while now. But not just of the hideout months ago. Of events. Of future events and all of them become true.”

Baekhyun paused, waiting for her to catch her ragged breath.

 

“Every single dream came true. It was like I could see the future. The time you were going to be executed I saw you in my dream. I saw the exact scene.” Mina’s lips quivered.

 

“Mina, calm down. It’s okay-”

 

“No-no you don’t understand…in the dream I had last night…I…”

 

“You what?” Baekhyun asked.

 

“Chanyeol died in my dream.”

 

—-------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

—-------------------------------------------------------------

 

“What do we do with it-er-her?” Kai asked.

 

Kyungsoo threw his hands in his hair. The oracle usually fell lifeless like this when she’d tell a prophecy, but this time she hadn’t even spoken. It was like there was no life in her to produce another prophecy. 

He reached down to feel her pulse, which was quivering and weak. 

Her skin was already so frail it was no surprise that in her last moments of death she would be shedding her blue-white skin.

 

“This is not good,” Kyungsoo explained, “If there is no oracle than legend has it all demigods will cease to exist.”

 

Kai looked flabbergasted, “This can’t be real…I mean can’t we give her CPR or something?”

 

Kyungsoo shook his head sadly, “She’s immortal…but oracles can die. She’s been living for thousands of years. The only way they die is when they choose too.”

 

“Why would she choose to die?”

 

“Being an oracle is an exhausting job. After thousands of years I can imagine she would want to retire,”

 

Kai nodded, “What do we do?”

 

Kyungsoo didn’t know how to answer that question at first. He’d been in many difficult situations, but this one could not compare. They were losing one of the most important forces for their cause. 

 

“The oracle needs to be replaced…”Kyungsoo rubbed his temples, but his imploding headache wasn’t subsiding.

“How are we supposed to know who the next oracle is?” 

 

“I don’t know…”Kyungsoo's mind went somewhere he hadn’t thought of in the first place. “Someone who can see the future. Visualize events…recite prophecies. The oracle has to be someone…special…someone who isn’t a demigod.”

Kai shook his head in confusion, but head snapped up. His face looked so sure of it. His met with Kyungsoo who gave him a weary look.

 

“I think I know who might be the next oracle,” he said.

 

—-----------------------------------------------

With every punch and grueling hit to the back with Junmnyeon’s blade Chanyeol felt his soul being pushed out of his body. 

Once, he fell to the ground in immense exhaustion. His vision was blurry, and palms on the ground. He doubled over and threw up. He hadn’t fought this hard for such a long duration. He’d almost drained every store of his power.

Still, he tasted the tingling sensation of the ambrosia, still pulsing on his tongue. 

 

“Give up!” Junmnyeon yelled, kicking him down again.

 

Chanyeol fell. He tried to catch his breath. When he blinked, even when he opened his eyes he could not see anything. It felt like he was blacking out.

Just before he could, he noticed something shiny on the floor. 

He assumed it was the front of an arrow, but when he flipped it over, it didn’t shine like iron or steel. It was silver. It was lying right where Baekhyun had fallen.

A bracelet.

It had an engraving: fearless.

 

Chanyeol’s heart pounded. Perhaps it was the ambrosia, perhaps it was the situation of death, but he felt a memory. A core memory.

 

I’ve seen this before.

 

He picked it up, tears b his eyes.

 

Junmnyeon had stopped, his sword resting to his side.

 

“I-I remember this…”CHanyeol croaked, “This bracelet.”

 

Junmnyeon looked at him in confusion. He held up a hand to stop his army from fighting. Perhaps even he understood there was a change in tone, a change in stance when Chanyeol had picked up the bracelet and examined it closely. 

 

“This…” Chanyeol's head was spinning and his mind was reaching for something,”Baek…Baekhyun.” 

 

Junmyeon’s studied him for a minute and then suddenly threw his arm behind him in a waving motion to signal the archer’s to stop.

 

“Do you…are you remembering?” He asked carefully.

 

Chanyeol nodded, tears rolling down his cheeks.

 

—---------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Baekhyun almost hadn’t processed Kai and Kyungsoo barging into the infirmary out of breath, dust and cobwebs tangled in their hair. 

 

“What are you guys-”

 

“Oh, Baekhyun, you're awake!” Kyungsoo quickly glanced at his friend, but then turned to Mina who looked just as perplexed.

 

“Sorry to interrupt, but we have a dire situation and Mina is of use,”

 

Mina looked at Baekhyun for answers.

 

“What’s the issue?” He asked.

 

Kai tapped his foot impatiently, “It’s a really long story, but if we don’t get her to attic right now the entire camp may be at stake.”

 

Mina nodded, looking back at Baekhyun promptly before giving him a reassuring smile that she was going to be okay.

 

Baekhyun was left wondering what on earth was going outside without him.

 

------------------------------

“What is this about?” Mina asked quickly as she followed the two of them towards Alec cabin.

 

“Mina…you’ve always been seeing things in your dreams…you saw Kai in your dreams,” Kyungsoo explained to her, “Remember? That journal you kept..you drew every scene and landscape and person to perfection.”

 

“It was just a vision…the gods were just showing me what was happening to help our quest,” Mina explained.

 

“No, Mina it wasn’t a vision of what was happening, it was a vision of what was going to happen.” Kai explained.

 

Mina cocked his head, her eyebrow raised, “What do you mean?”

 

“I think…you can see the future.” Kyungsoo said.

 

They finally made it to the cabin. When they reached the attic, it was clear to Mina what had transpired. The Oracle was laying on the ground, her skin so delicate if it was touched it could probably turn to dust.

 

“Are you saying that…I’m somehow a part of this?” Mina asked.

 

Kyungsoo nodded, “It makes a lot of sense. You don’t have any special abilities and you’re not even-technically a demigod. You’re the next oracle,”

 

Mina held her breath, her eyes focused on the lifeless body of the oracle in front her. Would she come to look like this someday? Would her skin peel off gray and sickly? But would it all be worth it because she would help all her friends, tell them prophecies and clues on their quests? She wondered all her life why she could see monsters, why she’d come to camp half blood and perhaps that answer was right in front of her. 

“I know it might seem scary…and everything is moving a little too fast, but camp-half blood depends on you,” Kyungsoo told her carefully.

 

Mina nodded her head, “Okay. How do I proceed?”

—----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Baekhyun was already overwhelmed when he came back into consciousness. First, he’d been met with Mina and her dreams and then Kyungsoo and Kai who -god -knows -when they had been together looking way too busy to explain anything. 

But Baekhyun also knew that he had his own mission to accomplish. He’d asked the gods for help in a special visit orchestrated by his mother and now he knew how to stop this war, but first he needed to get something. Something very valuable that probably gave him a lot of nightmares.

The infirmary was only filled with resting bodies, it seemed like the nurses had taken a break and left outside. That gave Baekhyun enough time to lift himself off the bed and throw on some sneakers unoticed.

He wasn’t going to lie, he could feel the sharp pain stabbing him exactly where he got hit, but for some reason the thought of Jongdae and mother and he decided to keep going.

Of course, he wondered about Chanyeol. It was a worry  that was eating him up inside constantly. He could run and find him, it would give him a lot of solace. He knew that all he wanted to do was be by his side weather that meant fighting to the death. He knew that he may have done that. Yet, after meeting with the gods he saw a small bit of hope.

He knew his ins and outs of the camp so he took to the back of the forest, his eyes trained on his destination, the large cruise ship they’d all come in. He could see that it had now been deserted and although he tried to ignore the campers who continued to fight on, he could see bodies, unconscious, laying on the grass that he called home.

Baekhyun never thought it would get to this point. That their own kind would be slaughtering each other.

Prometheus had been right, demigods didn’t have a sense of unity that humans had. That’s why he preferred them over children of gods. It made sense. Humans fought wars, but not for the sake of it, they fought for their nations, for their countries. Sure, maybe some wars were not ideal, but they were only human. Some could say a mortal war was inhumane and it was-but a demigod war was unworthy and baseless.

 

The ship was deserted right into the rooms. There was no sound. All he could hear were the yells and clanging of swords from outside. Somehow, he’d been able to cross the land through the forest, hidden from everyone.

Where is it…where is it dammit. Baekhyun ran into each room trying to remember where the damned piece of pottery was. 

Finally, he arrived at Chanyeol’s cabin within the ship. It looked just as he’d left it, with some weapons tossed aside and only his black obsidian sword missing. He could see poking out from underneath the bed another set of the same armor he was wearing right now. The bronze shine and leaves pattern that started from the shoulder blades and continued on. It was like the armous were feathers. He could fly with it.

His mind immediately told him to look further under the bed.

Low and behold, he tugged out a box which jangled when he moved it up to his chest.

Bakehyun opened it. Pandora’s jar lay there like an object that didn’t have much value.

He closed his eyes and said a silent prayer.

 

“It’s time,” He told himself.

-------------------------------------------------

Authors note:

Alright guys, drum roll we are nearing the end of this series. So I would say there are approximatley two more chapters left and I'm so exicted to share them with you guys!