Hesphestaus

The Resistance: Rouge Demigod

 

 

Baekhyun followed Chanyeol into the ship ignoring Mina who had walked up to him to ask how it had gone. Chanyeol went to the center of the ship and yelled his orders.

 

“Everyone rest and be up before dawn! We are at war!” 

 

Then, the general retreated to the stairs that led them below deck. Baekhyun found himself following Chanyeol like a magnet. 

He was also nervous that Chanyeol would go to check on Kai whom Kyungsoo was trying to console at the moment. Thankfully, the general took leave to his own cabin, right in the depths of the ship's deck across from all the other rooms.

 

When they were both inside the room, Chanyeol immediately took off his leather jacket and sat on the bed blankly staring into the wooden floor.

 

Baekhyun lamely stood by the door, watching the son of Zues’s mind wander into several different thoughts. Like a true leader he was only thinking about the army, about what plan of attack they’d choose. It was the only thing running through his mind which Baekhyun could some-what understand. 

He too was like this responsibility-stricken general Chanyeol. Always fearing his pride would be blemished and having to uphold the burden of feeling that everyone’s life was on his shoulders. 

 

“I’ll leave you-”

 

“No. Stay,” Chanyeol looked up at him.

 

Baekhyun felt his heart melt. 

 

He took a seat next to the general on the bed.

 

“I hate to intrude on any decision making, but...I think there are others ways to go about this besides violence,”

 

Careful with his words and with a slight hint of charm speak he was able to make the general reconsider. 

 

Chanyeol looked at Baekhyun not with detest, but in curiosity. Baekhyun hadn’t thought about his words this far. He’d expected the general to immediately say ‘no’, but Chanyeol looked like he was listening.

 

“I have asked them to join us, but they are loyal to the gods,”

 

“Though they may not see it, their army is strong. They’ve been training for years- compared to our measly months. They will overpower us,”


 

“Hmmm,” Chanyeol could only hum out a response. It was a hesitant agreement.


 

“I hope that you seek some mercy on them,” Baekhyun said.


 

“What do you suppose we should do?” Chanyeol asked sincerely.


 

“I’ll speak to them.”

 

Chanyeol raised an eyebrow, “Alone?”

 

Baekhyun nodded.

 

“Do you not fear your life?”

 

“What do you mean?

 

“You are my companion. They know this. They may kill you.”

 

Baekhyun froze at his words. Companion. What exactly did he mean? 

 

“I know them better. They will never kill me.” Baekhyun insisted. 

 

Chanyeol pursed his lips. He seemed to consider Baekhyun’s idea, but the thought of him going alone to speak to the enemy was slightly off-putting.

 

“What is it about this...Jongdae?” Chanyeol asked carefully.

 

The son of Aphrodite looked at him in confusion. How had Chanyeol remembered his name even though it was said in such a rushed manner back at Alec’s cabin. 

 

“He was an old friend,” Baekhyun said.

 

“Seems more than that,”

 

“He-it’s too long of a story for me to explain.” Baekhyun admitted.

 

But Chanyeol’s face told him that he wasn’t satisfied with his answer. He was hungry to know more. If Baekhyun wasn’t mistaken he saw a sharp look across the son of Zues’ face, one that Baekhyun hadn’t seen in a while. Jealousy.

 

“I’ll go speak with them. If nothing comes of it then we can attack. Please.”

 

Chanyeol threw him a curt nod before cupping his palm on Baekhyun’s cold cheek. He pressed his lips firmly against the other demigods so as to say goodbye. They kissed shortly.

It was odd. It wasn’t that Baekhyun didn’t like the affection, but knowing that this was a completely different Chanyeol who had somehow fallen in love with him a second time made his heart flutter and stomach do turns.

 

“Go, but not for long.” Chanyeol told him.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Baekhyun walked out of the ship with confidence. 

He saw a few campers who looked at him in either frustration or curiosity, he could not differentiate. 

Alec stood by his porch watching the demigod strut over like he hadn’t just joined the enemy.

 

“Alec I-”

 

“Come in,” 

 

They drank green tea. In the time that Alec took to finish his tea and biscuits, Baekhyun had explained nearly everything that had happened. How Adrian, Mina, Kyungsoo and him had left late at night to go find the resistance. They had reason to believe Chanyeol had been there. Little did they know the son of Zues had become the general of the entire army.

When Baekhyun felt that he was talking too much, he would glance back down to his empty tea cup, “I’m sorry.”

 

“Go on,” Alec nodded.

 

“After that...we didn’t know a ship was going to come here...I didn’t realize how many days had turned to weeks and then to months. It was like I had become one and the resistance,”

 

Baekhyun looked at the camp conseiller, expecting a sort of acknowledgement or anger, but there was none. All Alec did was gently place his cup of tea back down.

He was in his wheelchair now, looking more subdued and approachable. Wheeling himself over with ease he came and wrapped his arms around the son of Aphrodite.

Baekhyun froze.



 

“We’ve missed you, son.” 

 

Baekhyun curled his lips inward to stop himself from crying, “Me too…”

 

When they pulled back from the hug, Alec wiped away some tears from his cheeks, “Very well, what is the plan then?” 

 

The demigod was at a loss for words. Not only had Alec forgiven him for going on a quest unlawfully, but he’d hugged him and made sure he knew that he was still loved. This was the complete opposite of his dreams. He felt at home.

 

“I don’t understand where Adrian is. He should have told you guys all of this when he came back?” Baekhyun questioned.


 

“Adrian never came back. We haven’t seen him in three months,”

 

“But Kai said-” Baekhyun stopped himself, perhaps Kai wasn’t telling the truth when he’d said they’d let Adrian go. Either way it was odd that Adrian hadn’t found his way back after being rejected from the resistance.

 

“As for the plan…”Baekhyun changed the subject, “I don’t know. I came here hoping to seek some advice from you.”

 

“Does...Chanyeol truly not remember anything?” Alec asked.

 

“No,” Baekhyun said sadly.

 

“Yet, he’s taken quite a liking to you,” 

 

Baekhyun blushed unknowingly. When Alec talked about the two of them it always felt like your father catching you having a crush on someone. 

 

“Perhaps he only remembers my essence,”

 

“This may be our strongest point.” 

 

“What do you mean?” Baekhyun asked.

 

“Explain to Chanyeol that this war should not go on. You are the only one who may be able to convince him.”

 

Baekhyun tried not to sound irritated by the statement.

 

“I’m not his damsel in distress in which he will listen to my every word and wish.”

 

“He is in love with you, as a child of Aphrodite you should know love holds great power.”

 

“You think if I beg Chanyeol to stand back he’ll just listen?”

 

Alec pondered it, but he could only remain silent. In the three months that Baekhyun was away it seemed that all the hope had been from camp-half blood dry. This wasn’t the Alec he knew-one who’d devise a perfect plan to defeat the enemy, who always knew the way out. He’d given up and had resorted to begging for peace.

All his life he’d been called lover boy. He’d been amounted to nothing more than the son of Aphrodite who bore no great power, but looking pleasent. He’d worked his entire life to prove that he was a good fighter. That he was worth something. And now his greatest role model sat there telling him that indeed nothing had changed. No matter how much he proved himself, Baekhyun could only ever be one thing: Aphrodite's son.

 

Baekhyun stormed out of Alec’s cabin.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------


 

He wasn’t expecting him to follow, but he also wasn’t expecting to see Junmnyeon corner him on the porch. His eyes were fiery red and mouth was forever scowling.

 

“Junmyeon-”

 

“How could you betray the thing you used to call home,”

 

Baekhyun placed his palm gently on his chest which was heaving from breathing so hard. 

 

“Listen, I don’t have enough time to explain...but you have to believe me when I say I’m not a traitor. I said that I was going to save Chanyeol those months ago, but…it got sidetracked. It’s not as it seems.”

 

Junmnyeon’s expression shifted. First, he was an angry mess, but now his face softened. He stood there, ready to listen to whatever Baekhyun had to say.


 

“I’m sorry,” Baekhyun gulped, “I’m sorry that you may perceive me as a traitor. But that is not what I am. That is all I can say for now,”

 

“Baekhyun wait-”

 

But the son of Aphrodite knew that if he spent a second longer he’d break down in tears. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

When he came back to Chanyeol’s cabin, the demigod looked at him in question.

 

“What happened?”

 

But Baekhyun’s face said it all. The tears that ran down and his red puffy cheeks. It looked like he’d cried for at least thirty minutes.

 

“We have to go to war,” Baekhyun said quickly, wiping away the tears.

 

Chanyeol didn’t ask anymore questions, only watched Baekhyun in concern as he continued to weep.

 

“What did they say?”

 

“Nothing. This war must go on, just..” Baekhyun had made up his mind.

 

The son of Zues nodded his head curtly before throwing on his large helmet and armor. 

 

“If you say the war will go on, then it shall,” Chanyeol took our his sword.

 

“We will start shortly.”

 

“I thought we’d wait until morning?” Baekhyun questioned.

 

“There is no time,”

 

-----------------------------------------------------------

 

Chanyeol called for a quick meeting at the center of the ship's deck. He stood on top of a large crate in order for the demigods to see him clearer.

 

“We’ve declared war on camp-half blood after coming to no compromise. Everyone must retrieve their weapons. Archers will attack first,” His gaze flickered towards Baekhyun, “Then, frontliners will push through,”

 

“What's the main goal?” Someone from the crowd asked.

 

To that, Chanyeol simply pointed his finger at Alec's cabin. It was very obviously right front and center on top of the large hill that towered over the training grounds.

 

“Reach that hill. We must collect something very important inside.”

 

“What is it?”

 

“A fortune teller, the oracle.”

 

Baekhyun froze. The oracle? What was Chanyeol planning to do with the Oracle? Up until now she’d been stored away in the attic of Alec’s cabin. When she pleased she’d walk out and recite a prophecy. Besides that, the oracle held no special powers. Perhaps it was just that.

So far in this unwarranted quest, Baekhyun hadn’t received a prophecy yet, which was odd considering this was a big event. 

 

When the crowd dispersed and was given a moment to gather their weapons, Baekhyun walked over to Chanyeol and spoke in a low voice.

 

“What do you need from the oracle?” 

 

Chanyeol spun around, clearly surprised that Baekhyun had followed him.

 

The general took his finger and slid it against the sharp blade of his obsidian sword.

 

“Blood,”

 

“What?” Baekhyun didn’t mean to sound so worried.

 

“She is the one link that connects the gods to demigods and demigods to mortals. She is the very thing that we must destroy,”

 

“But if the oracle dies then…”

 

Chanyeol raised his eyebrows unsure of where Baekhyun was going with his words. 

He himself did not know the outcome of his words. If there was no oracle, there was no purpose for demigods? There was no purpose for them on earth.

He thought about Pandora's jar. Thought about it’s myth-or perhaps story of truth. Before Pandora's jar had been opened there was true bliss, everyone lived in a perfect paradise. When the mortal had opened the jar everything had fallen out of every murderous evil on earth, including the oracle and the fates. Destiny and the need for everyone’s life to come to an end this is what the oracle’s purpose was. 

 

“Chanyeol wait-”

 

“We must get to battle, go with the archers.”

 

“But-”

 

“This is the plan. This is the final part of our plan.” He repeated.

 

Baekhyun bit his lip, holding back his true thoughts.

 No, Chanyeol. This isn’t like you. You’d never betray the camp and it’s people. You have to come back to your senses.

--------------------------------------------------------------

 

After Baekhyun had given him his blessing, Kyungsoo ran for the deck below. He ran through rooms trying to locate where Kai had been placed.

When he’d realized he had probably looked through every room, he decided to put his palm to the deck and make a small crack. 

There was a lower deck. 

One that was concealed from the other demigods.

Kyungsoo breathed a sigh of relief. He saw stairs that led down to a darker part of the large ship. It was only lit by small magical candles that seemed to float in the air. 

When the son of Ares finally located the jailed man his heart flipped over and did a somersault.

To be honest, he’d fallen hard for Kai. 

Love that’s what they call it.

Trying to conceal it would be harder than he thought and looking at Baekhyun pleading for him to let him go and save him was the last straw.

 He knew that Baekhyun knew. He was the son of Aphrodite after all. That is why he’d let him go eventually. Mina perhaps had caught on too in that moment, but Baekhyun had sensed it quicker. 

 

“Kai…”Kyungsoo came closer.

 

The son of Hesphestaus was chained up behind black solid titanium bars. His eyes looked sullen and dead, but his body occasionally twitched. 

When he heard a voice his head looked up in confusion.

 

“What are you doing here?” Kai asked, his voice was slightly lifeless.

 

“I have...I have to tell you something.”

 

Kai waited.

 

“You have to stop all of this. Getting revenge. I know it’s your father. I know that feeling of having to obey their every word because they’re a god, but listen...if you really want to destroy what the gods stand for then come with me. We can defeat them together, but getting back demigods and destroying camp half blood won’t do any good. What good are you if you do the same things that gods do?”

 

The son of Hephaestus bobbed his head back. He was clearly taken aback.

 

“What are you saying...that I should leave the resistance?”

 

Kyungsoo hesitated. “No-”

 

“This is what I was born to do. This is what my father wanted me to grow up to become.”

 

“You haven’t lived a proper life. I know that. None of us have, but this is not your destiny. Your father is not one of the three fates he doesn’t know what you’re made for.”

 

“How do you know that? You act all tough and mighty, but you don’t know the last thing I’ve been through. You’ve been raised in paradise compared to me,” Kai lowered his voice, perhaps ashamed that he was playing a type of oppression olympics.

 

Kyungsoo wasn’t the type to give up, but looking at Kai’s almond eyes which were almost glassy and foggy, he couldn't help but feel hopeless. Hope. The last thing in Pandora’s jar.

 

“Has your father ever told you who your mother was?” Kyungsoo continued.

 

Kai looked up suddenly, surprised by the sudden question. No. Surprised by how to answer it. Unsure and naive to the very thought.

 

“No,” He said timidly, “Why would I even need to know her? I have my father,”

 

“Do you? Do you really? If he’s so loyal to you then how come he’s not here? Saving you from this prison cell.”

 

“Don’t-bring him into this,”

 

Kyungsoo could feel his anger rise, his chest filled with a hot rising bulge.

 

“Oh yeah? Don’t bring him into this. Well…”

 

He trailed off watching Kai carefully and then.

 

“Hephaestus! Come out and show yourself!”

 

Kai struggled in his chains as if he would have leapt forward and stopped Kyungsoo from yelling out his fathers name.

 

“Stop-”

 

“Hephaestus!” Kyungsoo yelled again.

 

“Kyungsoo don’t-”

 

“Hesphestaus, come and show yourself!”

 

Kyungsoo half expected nothing to happen and they would simply be in silence. 

He was surprised when all of sudden, he felt a sharp blade press against his chin, daring to go laterally into his neck. Kyungsoo grinned madly, but not because he was particularly eager to die, but because he’d riled up Hephaestus.

 

“Father,” Kai was at a loss for words.

 

Kyungsoo turned his head ever so slightly such that the blade that the god was holding to his neck wouldn’t touch him. He looked at the divine being himself for the first time. He’d expected much, but not this. Hephaestus was...ugly...no not the ugly you would be thinking. Hesphestuas  wasn’t like the other gods. He seemed like a regular average joe you’d see in a city. A mortal.

Then, he remembered his legend. His story. How he’d been banished from Olympus simply because of the way he looked. Hesphestaus was broken inside just like Kai. He’d extended out his curse to his son.

That was the true betrayal.

 

“How dare you say my name with ease.” Hesphestaus grumbled.

 

Kyungsoo shivered when he felt the blade slide against his chin.

 

“Father, wait- he was just trying to…”Kai trailed off, finding a spark of reason to let Kyungsoo free.

 

“I can assure you...uh- Sir? That I did mean to come off as rude, but being the son of Ares I’m quite...harsh.” He lied.

 

Actually, Kyungsoo considered himself the opposite. He was timid, and thought about his actions. He was anything but the son of Ares.

 

“Ares...spawn of Ares. This gives me more of a reason to end your life here!” Hesphestaus raised his voice.

 

Kyungsoo was shaking now.

 

“W-wait!” Kyungsoo's voice stopped him, “Why? Why do you hate my father?”

 

It was genuine curiosity, but of course Kyungsoo knew he didn’t have to know this knowledge now. He could have picked up any greek textbook and figured their relationship.

 But he was buying time. If he knew any god, he knew they’re narcissism and hubris would lead them to explain their entire life story as they saw themselves the most important-that every story had to be told in their point of view.

 

“You would know son of Ares, he loves to gloat,”

 

Kyungsoo shook his head, or at least tried to with a blade pushed up against his neck.

 

“I don’t,” He said sincerely.

 

“He stole my wife from me!” He bellowed a deep guttural yell like he’d been holding it in for a while.

 

Kyungsoo winced, “Y-Your wife?”

 

“Aphrodite.” He said as a matter of factly.

 

Right. He hadn’t quite remembered the details, but he knew that his father was a sort of...player. Like most gods, he’d have affairs, but he remembered this particular one with Aphrodite had left a mark with his reputation. After all, Zeus had and killed many women but was still the King.

 

“Right, well I’ll apologize on his behalf,”

 

Hesphestaus chuckled, “An apology is nothing. You demigods are one in the same with mortals unfortunately. In the godly world apologies are like feathers in the world of large steel bulls.”


 

Kyungsoo wasn’t sure what to say so he stood there in silence.

 

“Well. You haven’t lived a miraculous life, it’s best if you die now-”

 

“Wait!” Kai yelled.

 

His father’s lip was upturned. Hesphestaus seemed dissatisfied with Kai’s state, but not angry. He was probably thinking how could my son get into such a predicament. He was supposed to lead this army. 

 

“My son, you are in no position to speak,” Hesphestaus sighed.

 

“Just let me do this once. I’ve...this is the first time I’m meeting you and I don’t want it to end like this,” Kai said, his voice shaking.

 

Kyungsoo looked at the demigod sadly. He couldn’t imagine what he was feeling. Knowing that your father was under your nose the entire time and when he finally came out it was because he felt his pride was being tarnished. Hephaestus didn’t know this. He wouldn’t have even thought about what Kai would perceive this gesture as. Part of Kyungsoo felt anguished by the situation, but another part of him knew that this is what it took for Kai to see his fathers true self.

 

Hesphestaus waited for his son to say something.

 

“Who...who was my mother?”  Kai asked.

 

Kyungsoo and his eyes met briefly.

 

“You’re mother…”Hepshestaus thought about it, “That mortal lived on an island. It was when I was visiting to gather some precious metals for my new sword work. I met her there.”

 

Kai’s eyes sparkled with tears. 

 

“What was her name?”

 

“I don’t recall,” Hesphestaus grumbled.

 

“Did she...did she love me?” Kai’s voice wavered.

 

Hesphestaus looked irritated by the question. Like it was a waste of time and didn’t matter. 

“I don’t meddle or understand this thing you call love. Maternal love especially,” He said bitterly, “So I don’t know if she loved you,”

 

Kai nodded. 

 

Kyungsoo opened his mouth to say something, but Kai beat him to it.

 

“Why didn’t you tell me about her before?”

 

Hesphestaus curled an eyebrow upwards.

 

“Why is that important?” He answered with another question.

 

“Because…”

 

“Spit it out-”

 

“Because I had the right to know!” Kai raised his voice for the first time.

 

Usually, raising your voice at a god didn’t spare you any life.

 

The god of fire considered his son's tone, but for some reason he answered calmly.

 

“If I had told you about your mother, then what good would you be to the resistance?”

 

That. That was all Kai needed to spill him off into a manner of insanity. 

Up until now, he thought his father was his saviour and hero. He thought that once they’d be reunited they’d live together and spend eternity together if he’d complete this mission for him. Now, it was sprawled out in front of him. The very cause he fought and vouched for was visible in plain sight. For it wasn’t just the gods in olympus who were evil and corrupt, but so too was Hesphestaus who’d been plagued by their wrong doings. Everyone was a victim, but the ones who suffered most were the children of the gods.

 

“You betrayed me.” Said Kai.

 

This time, his father didn’t like the sound of that. He seized his blade and brought it closer to Kyungsoo’s neck. The demigod squirmed in his place attempting to reach for a dagger stored neatly in back pocket, but he didn’t have nearly enough strength.

 

“You are making me out to be the bad guy now? Your mother wouldn’t have cared for you anyways. After she found out I was god she left me. How do you think she reacted when she found out about you?” Hesphestaus smirked, pleased with himself.

 

But Kai wasn’t having any of it. He knew that whatever his father was going to say it was all a manipulation. He wasn’t telling the truth. After all, if his mother had been so vile, how come he hadn’t let them meet? It was clear as day. Hesphestaus was using his own son for his own production.

 

“You took that ambrosia. Each demigod that came to our lair. You took it...you drank it.” Kai said.

 

It was not a question. More like a statement that was revealing itself. His mind flashes back to the scenes of him attempting to execute Baekhyun over his discoveries. Kai now knew he’d been so naive. Too stupid to realize the truth.

 

“And so what if I did?” Hephaestus, “The gods never gave me the nectar, but they give their lousy half-breed children fountains of it. It really makes no sense. Demigods don’t deserve it.”

“We had demigods that could have been saved! You murdered them!” Kai shot back.

 

“They were bound to die!” Hesphestaus roared.

 

“You killed them! You killed all of us. Now all of us will die because that is all you wanted. Using us like pawns. You’re no different from them.”

 

Although Kyungsoo was glad Kai was finally understanding the true situation he didn’t appreciate that with every octave he raised his voice, Hesphestaus came closer with his blade. 

When Kai finally realized what he’d been doing he quieted down.

What would happen next, Kyungsoo had truly not expected.

 

There was a scalding hot feeling that burst into the room. It was like an invisible explosion. 

Kai burst through the chains that held him like a prisoner. 

Hope. In the form of blazing hot fire that radiated from his palms and through his arms and his veins. He was using fire. He was handling fire. 

Kyungsoo had never seen anything like it before.

 

Then, Kai quickly came to his aid, kicking the blade from his father's hand and grabbing Kyungsoo by the arm.

 

“If you want to kill someone, then let it be me,”

 

Kyungsoo decided he hadn’t looked at anyone more handsome than him at that moment.

---------------------------------------------------------------

 

Baekhyun looked around, watching all the archers, including his half sister Harmonia prepare for battle. They were all lined up securely behind a long hedge just below the deck where they could have a good view of the rest of the camp.

 

“You look pale,” Harmonia noted.

 

Baekhyun gulped, “I have a bad feeling about this,”

 

Harmonia tilted her head in confusion, “This is what the resistance is all about. We have to fight until the very end.”

 

“End of what?”

 

His sister pursed her lips. She didn’t even know the answer to that question. Or maybe she was looking at her brother in distress, perhaps she did know the answer. They all did. 

Until death.

 

“Arrows high!” Yelled one of the archers.

 

Baekhyun was brought back into the reality of things. He had to do this. He wouldn’t kill anyone, but he knew Chanyeol would. It wouldn’t be his fault though. He didn’t know any better.

 

He held his arrow high. He had to think of something. He needed...he needed Chanyeol to remember. To stop this army.

Baekhyun felt his gut churn in disgust. He couldn’t bear to see himself fight his own people.

He made a split decision.

 

“Up and Fire!” Yelled one of the rogue demigods.

 

Baekhyun put his arrow on his shoulder and ran ahead, making Harmonia yell and cry to come back, but he was determined. There was no stopping now.

 

-------------------------------------------------

 

He found himself in the infirmary. A place that he hated admitting gave him so much more solace now. They say in war, the hospital is a resting place. No armed force attacks a hospital only in dire situations. It was a safe haven. For now.

Baekhuyn recognized a son of Apollo he’d been teaching archery a year back. His eyes lit up when he saw him, running over.

But the demigod didn’t have the same sentiment. Instead, he held out his dagger in defense. His hand was shaking though, as if he didn’t want to hurt the son of Aphrodite. 

 

Baekhyun held his hands out as a surrender, “Wait...I’m not going to hurt you...I just need your help.”

 

The son of Apollo shakiness extended to his voice.

 

“Y-you’re with them...the rouge demigods,”

 

“I know it doesn’t look like I”m on your side right now...but I need your help.”

 

“I-I was told I can’t let any intruder in, I’m sorry-!” 

 

The demigod immediately lunged forward in an attempt to dig his dagger into Baekhyun's leg. It was smart. Make an injury not so fatal such that they could use him for answers later. 

 

Baekhyun hadn’t expected the meagle demigod to do anything so he was caught off guard. He’d expected the dagger to plunge right through him, but all of a sudden he heard the shrieking of an arrow behind his ear.

It whipped past him and towards the of the dagger.

The son of Apollo lost hold of his only weapon.

Baekhyun recognized this arrow work anywhere.

He turned in relief.

 

“Seulgi.” Baekhyun smiled, but really he would have cried.

 

His sister, despite having not seen him for three months, looked just the same. She had small effortless braids tied to the sides and a red bandage across her forehead. Her ripped jeans were more than ripped at this point and her green flannel was almost up in smoke. She’d perhaps been fighting on the outside.

 

“You idiot, you could have at least called.” She was near tears.

 

“Listen, I know...but I don’t have much time, you have to help me,”

 

Seulgi bit her lip to stop her tears from rushing out anymore. She firmly held her arrow and lifted her chin. She glanced at the cowering son of Apollo who looked between them in confusion. 

 

“What do you need?” She asked.

 

“Ambrosia,” Baekhyun said.

 

His sister narrowed her eyes, “Seriously? Don’t you have some? It’s really not that hard to get. Did you run out?”

 

She walked over to the cabinet in the infirmary, throwing a sharp glance at the Apollo kids when he began to protest. She rummaged through the shelves, letting Baekhyun scoot over so they could look together.

 

“You aren’t injured, why do you need it?”

 

“It’s for Chanyeol,” He tried to explain quickly.

 

Seulgi covered and said, “You found him? Is he okay?”

 

“I did...but Seulgi he has no memories of us. He’s the general of the resistance. I think that if I give him some ambrosia he’ll be able to get his memories back.” Baekhyun said sadly.

 

“What? Is it because of that thing he drank last year...dear gods I didn’t think it was actually going to work-oh wait- I found some!” She fished out a water bottle satchel.

 

When he shook it, it made a sound like when you gulped down water very quickly. The bottle was full.

 

Baekhyun grinned, “Thanks,” He hugged his sister, hoping it wouldn’t be the last.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Kyungsoo was afraid, but having Kai by his side really edged off his nervousness. By the time Kai had released him from Hesphestaus’ hold, Kyungsoo was able to take out his dagger for self defence. Though he presumed it would do nothing against a god. 

 

The god of fire smirked before taking out his weapon, a large hammer looking to weigh at least 500 pounds. Kyungsoo nearly told Kai to hold off and let it go. They were not going to be able to fight a god. He was immortal for god sakes.

Perhaps he didn’t have to because Kai too, trembled at the sight of the weapon. It was surrounded by a dangerous blue flame. The type of fire that was scorching hot.

 

“You will pay for disobeying me-!” 

 

Hesphestaus held up his hammer, but then.

 

“Oh please, Hessy, leave them be.” 

 

All of them turned to the sound of the soft, sultry and demanding voice.

Hesphestaus hesitated, but didn’t drop his weapon.

Kyungsoo recognized that flow of speech, that dialect and utter charm. 

It was Aphrodite.

 

While Kai faced his father in defence, Kyungsoo turned and pointed a dagger at the other god. THey couldn’t trust anyone here. Especially since they were still deemed to be part of the resistance.

 

“Aphrodite...what brings you here?” 

 

The god of fire eventually lowered his weapon. His voice sounded slightly bitter, which was understandable but he also sounded like he was longing to meet her.

 

The god of love smiled, one of those dazzling movie stars smiled and chuckled.

.

“Where I find love...I appear…” She threw a quick glance to Kyungsoo.

 

Kyungsoo's face suddenly became hot and red.

 

“Well sooner or later they’re won't be any love when these poor demigods parish at the hands of me.” 

 

Aphrdorite clicked her tongue, “Tsk tsk tsk. Have you learned nothing from me...dear husband.”

 

Kai spoke up this time, startling Kyungsoo. It was never etiquette to put yourself into a god’s conversation. It could anger them greatly. 

 

“I hate to interrupt. But if you two must speak about something, we’ll take our  leave.”

 

“Not so fast,” Hesphestaus held up his weapon.

 

“Oh dear…” Aphrodite tapped his chin, “I won’t be letting you do that today,” said the goddess.

 

Hesphestaus looked at her disbelief, “I’ll do as I please.”

 

Aphrodite smiled begrudgingly, “You see if these two die...my son will not be very happy. He might overthrow Olympus if they die…”

 

“Why should I care about your son when you can barely save your own marriage!” Hephaestus spat.

 

Kyungsoo and Kai looked between each other feeling like they’d interrupted a very intimate conversation.

 

“It was not my marriage to save, sweet Hessy. I was forced to marry you and when Ares came to sweep me up you let it happen. Perhaps man-up next time and fight for what you want,”

 

Kyungsoo wanted to throw up everytime Aphrodite said ‘Hessy’.

 

“Forget it, I’m going to kill them-”

 

Aphrodite immediately stood in front of him and mumbled a few words, her eyes glowing a flashing pink. Kyungsoo immediately understood this to be charmspeak. Except this was a much stronger version than Baekhyun’s. 

 

Hephaestus dropped the weapon and then eventually dropped to the floor. Aphrodite stayed where she was holding up her palm to his face to make him fall asleep.

 

She took her other hand and threw open the door above them where Kyungsoo had come in.

 

“Go,” Aphrodite said, “Save my son,”

 

------------------------------------------------------------------

Authors note: Alright guys!!! We are nearing the end of this beautiful series. I would estimate about probably 3 chapters remain. Those will be uploaded very very soon. I've actaully written the entire story and the ending so I'm not waiting on anything particular, but I want to space everything out perfectly for everyone. Of course, please please leave a comment. It really means a lot and I love to know your reactions, opinions and thoughts on how the story is proceeding. Let me know what you think of Baekhyun/Chanyeol and their character development. Oh and surprise! New couple alert. I do realize Kyungsoo and Kai was pretty obvious from the beigning. At first, I did want to write more scenes with them, but I think I did hint a few times that they were starting to have a thing for each other. I really wanted their realtionship to be more subtle because really the focus here is this huge war and Chanbaek. :)