Arrows and Bows

The Resistance: Rouge Demigod

 

 

The demigods from camp half blood retreated in a hour perhaps after seeing Cole and Sebastian and fled. Slowly, through an entrance they’d made at the ceiling of the lair, the demigods disappeared and all the resistance fighters let them.

It was one thing to be fighting monsters on a daily basis but when you were fighting your own kind...it drained you. They were down several demigods Baekhyun realized as he walked around the infirmary. 

He saw some familiar faces, but most of all he was surprised to see Kyungsoo on a bed, breathing slowly while Mina was in front of him talking about what had happened.

Baekhyun ran up to his friend in concern, “What happened?” He searched his body to find a wound.

 

“A light cut,” Kyungsoo held up his arm which was bandaged up.

 

Mina looked at Baekhyun in worry, “Without ambrosia we don’t stand a chance against them.”

 

“There must be some way…” Baekhyun racked his brain.

 

If this kept happening, Mina was right they weren’t going to be able to ‘beat’ the campers. Even though this hadn’t been their plan in the beginning they realized because the campers didn’t know they were imposters it was going to be hard staying alive.

 

“It’s a good thing I was there,” Kai came out of nowhere.

 

Baekhyun jumped a little, “This wound would heal much faster if we had ambrosia,” 

“Hmph, the poison from the gods? They won’t even give us a drop,” Kai said.

 

“When we first came here it ‘disappeared’, but...such large amounts of ambrosia...it just doesn’t just leave the premises. Especially since we’re in an enclosed system. Somebody must be taking it,” Baekhyun said.

 

“When everyone comes to the camp they’re put to sleep. Everyone wakes up without knowing where they were taken. How do we know that someone isn’t taking the ambrosia from us?” Mina continued.

 

Kai looked at the two in confusion and then back at Kyungsoo’s weak body in concern, “You guys think too much. What happens, happens. There isn’t a greater meaning to everything. Ambrosia just doesn’t exist here,”

 

“Can we speak to your father?” Baekhyun asked.

 

Kai shook his head quickly leaning in and putting his index finger over his own lips, in a shushing motion, “No, and don’t mention that up in the open. Father...doesn’t like to be visited often. In fact...I’ve never even met him myself.”

 

Baekhyun sighed in defeat, “Then how does the resistance communicate with their grand leader?”

 

Kai looked at the floor, then looked back to where the training grounds were visible. Baekhyun followed his gaze and saw Chanyeol who was practicing sword combat with another demigod.

 

“You’ve got to be kidding me,” 

 

--------------------------------------------------------------

 

At this point, Baekhyun couldn’t tell where his and Chanyeol’s relationship had ended. He was so sure that he still hated his guts and he was expecting the usual silence and no form of acknowledgement after the attack.

He was surprised when Chanyeol invited him to his office.

 

“I’m in debt to you,” Chanyeol started, “Although I hate to admit it, you saved my life and for that reason I’d like to grant you access back to the cabin you were in...with your friends,”

 

He said the last part with such bitterness and distaste that Baekhyun grew curious.

 

“Thanks but...what if I don’t want that,” Baekhyun crossed his arms over his chest in a manner that said let's play this game shall we.

 

“I don’t understand what you mean,” Chanyeol raised a tentative eyebrow.

 

“I mean...you train with me each and every day of the week until we infiltrate camp half blood.”

 

“You’ve gone mad,”

 

“I want to learn from the best,” Baekhyun shrugged, “Besides despite...our differences we work well together, it will strengthen the team,”

 

“Together, teamwork, all these things don’t run here.” Chanyeol argued. 

 

Baekhyun lets out an exasperated sigh, “You’re the one who said I was in debt to you, are you going to follow my wishes or not?”

 

Chanyeol rubbed his temples in deep stress. He hadn’t realized how coercive the children of Aphrodite could be, but it was apparent that this was the very thing they were born to do.

 

“Very well,” 

---------------------------------------------------------------------

 

The next morning right before he had to go to training with Chanyeol he woke up to his half sister's curious visage.

 

Harmonia, who he hadn’t seen all of yesterday, looked at him as he had a billion questions. 

 

“I heard you saved the general in battle, that must have felt empowering.” Her eyes twinkled in delight.

 

Baekhyun nodded, his mouth trying not to form the biggest smile possible. 

 

“He’ll never bad mouth the children of Aphrodite again,”

 

“I saw you went into his office, what did he say?” Harmonia asked.

 

“Said that I was indebted to him and wanted to pay me back so he offered to let me go back to live with Kyungsoo and Mina...but I asked for something else,”

 

Harmonia blinked slowly, curious to what Baekhyun had to say next. 

 

“He’s going to be training me starting today,” 

 

Harmonia’s reaction was slightly delayed, “Wait...you mean he’s going to personally train you?”

 

Baekhyun nodded with a tiny smile, “that way he’ll have to deal with me everyday,”

 

Harmonia burst out into a fit of laughter which took Baekhyun aback.

 

“What, what's so funny,”

 

“Nothing, it's just…” Harmonia wiped a tear from the corner of her eye, “Out of everyone I've known here no one has been fearless like you are. I’m proud to call you my brother.” She smiled.

 

Baekhyun smiled fully too now. It warmed his heart that even though he was in this whole resistance predicament he could still find some positive side to it all. He knew how Harmonia felt having been the son of Aphrodite. He knew the level of autracism he felt at camp half blood. They were one and the same. Perhaps that is why he decided he should remain in Harmonia’s cabin.

 

“To tell you the truth...general Chanyeol isn’t as bad as you think,” Baekhyun sat beside her on the bunk.

 

Harmonia raised her eyebrows, “What do you mean?”

 

“Call me crazy...but I know he’s a good person. He doesn’t want to hurt people, he's just stressed with the anxiety of having to lead this resistance. True he can be cranky sometimes...but I just know deep down I know he has a good heart.”

 

 

 

Knock knock.

 

Baekhyun jumped at the sound of their cabin door being knocked on. Harmonia watched her brother throw on his combat gear and sheepishly answer the door. Standing outside was Chanyeol holding his sword, his stance a little timid but still confident.

 

“Oh, general Chanyeol I was actually just getting ready to-”

 

“Cut the small talk, let's head out before breakfast begins,” He looked into his cabin watching a shy Harmonia wave her hand. He didn’t acknowledge it, only turned around curtly and grunted.

 

When they both reached the partially empty training grounds Baekhyun attempted to get closer to Chanyeol to ask him a question, but to his confusion the man was not able to make eye contact.

 

Then when he realized Baekhyun hadn’t moved he turned to him and tilted his head, 

 

“Well? Aren't you going to get your weapon?” He asked.

 

The son of Aphrodite jumped when he had processed what Chanyeol had said. He ran over to find a bow and arrow.

When he came back Chanyeol had already summoned a dummy standing a couple of feet away from them.

 

“What exactly...are we doing?” asked Baekhyun.

 

“You’re going to learn how to use a sword...properly,” Chanyeol explained.
 

He eyes Baekhyun’s bow and arrow like it was pathetic. Then, he decided to throw him a large bronze sword.

If Baekhyun’s reflexes weren’t fast his wrists would have slit open.

 

“Didn’t you just tell me to get a weapon. Well I choose the bow and arrow,” He argued.

 

The general smirked, “If you ever want to become a great fighter one-on-one combat is the only way to succeed.”

 

“You’re one to talk. I saved your out there when those demigods came into the camp,” Baekhyun reminded him.

 

Chanyeol stayed silent, clenching his jaw slightly at the crude words. He knew all too well this demigod wasn’t going to let the incident slide. Instead of chattering any further, he decided to raise his sword. 

 

The general raised an eyebrow when he noticed Baekhyun wasn’t following him.

 

“Do as I do,” He explained further. 

 

Baekhyun raised his sword then too. When Chanyeol moved it to the side he did too. Every slight movement the demigod made-the son of Aphrodite followed. It wasn’t as easy as it sounded. 

Chanyeol’s upper body strength was incredible. He could easily lift his 20 pound sword with ease, meanwhile, Baekhyun struggled to keep it up an hour into the exercise. 

 

“Stamina.” Chanyeol pushed him further.

 

After an hour and thirty minutes, it was like they were dancing. Everytime Chanyeol lifted his sword and made a circling motion or spun around to the side Baekhyun knew his exact move everytime. Everything grew so predictable.

 

It was like they were flying in the wind and the wind helped them carry their sword through each motion. Together. 

 

Then, when Baekhyun most expected it, Chanyeol jabbed his sword. Baekhyun immediately defended himself. 

He was so surprised he froze in shock. He’s never really been an astounding sword fighter-just really only good with a bow and arrow. He was slightly proud of himself that he’d managed to pull that off-considering Chanyeol was one of the best fighters he knew.

 

“Wow I didn’t think I could-”

 

Whack!

 

Baekhyun fell on his back feeling slightly dizzy. Chanyeol had knocked his chest with the of his sword. 

Then the man straddled his standing sword at his neck, Baekhyun’s needs between his strong thighs.

 

“Never, let your guard down,”

 

Baekhyun coughed from the impact wincing in pain. While he was attempting to regain his consciousness he spent a tad second longer and when Chanyeol faltered slightly in his strength the son of Aphrodite kicked him in the balls.

 

“Ah!” Chanyeol yelled.

 

“You should never let your guard down,” Baekhyun stood up immediately, pointing his sword right at Chanyeol.

 

When Chanyeol recovered from the pain his body was still hunched over in dissatisfaction, but his eyes shined for a minute with pride. 

They went on with their small scrimmage for another hour. Eventually, the two passed out and sat by the benches when they’d realized other campers were going to wake up soon and the barracks would be filled.

 

“You have potential,” Chanyeol had finally spoken.

 

Baekhyun turned to him slightly surprised. He almost scuffed in disbelief. Had Chanyeol known that it was actually Bakehyun who had taught him everything he knew about combat-he wouldn’t have been saying all of this. 

Despite Baekhyun’s burning pride, Baekhyun appreciated feeling like the student for once. He imagined this is how Chanyeol felt-intimidated, frustrated training with a grouch.

 

“You’ve got some potential yourself,” Baekhyun bit back, taking a sip of water out of a mug he took from his dorm.


 

“Whatever do you mean by that?” Chanyeol asked.

 

“A little birdie told me you don’t fancy arrows,”

 

“That little birdy is deranged,” 

 

“Show me what you got, general,” Baekhyun smirked.

 

 

With his shoulders stiff and jaw clenched Chanyeol grabbed a bow and arrow furiously before notching it to aim it at a dummy at the end of the training field.

 

Baekhyun was behind him, arms crossed watching Chanyeol’s technique carefully.

As the arrow finally was released into the air, it hit the dummy. However, it missed all its vital parts and hit the end of it’s toe.

 

Baekhyun covered his mouth to hide a laugh.

 

He’s missed. It's quite bad. Even if he had meant to hit the toe-which was highly unlikely it wasn’t a fatal shot which meant it was nothing to an enemy.

 

Instead of putting him on the spot any further, Baekhyun steeped up close to Chanyeol and s his hands around the bow and arrow. When the demigod felt his hand brush against the general’s his heart fluttered, but he decided to ignore it and continue angeling the arrow correctly. He retrieved an arrow and helped him notch it in its place alwhile standing so incredibly close he could almost hear his heart beat. 

 

“Your vision of where the arrow will end up is distorted because your two eyes look at things on different ends. Close one eye to get one view. Usually the eye that is farthest from the string of the bow,” Baekhyun explained softly. 

 

Chanyeol's eyes shifted to where Baekhyun was standing. It was mesmerizing watching him explain the bow and arrow like it was an art.

 

“Too much power is never good for an archer as it is for a swordsman. You need strength…but not too much brute force” Baekhyun helped Chanyeol’s finger pull the string of the arrow only half way it could go, “resilience…”

 

The arrow almost lifted on its own when Baekhyun let go. It was graceful. Swift. And in one quick movement it landed right in the centre of the dummy’s heart. It was a clean cut. 

Chanyeol had never seen someone throw an arrow with such precision and compassion. Had that dummy been a monster it would have died a beautiful death. 

 

They stood there for a second near each other without realizing how close they were. Chanyeol turned his head to find Baekhyun smiling with his teeth when he saw the arrow hit the bullseyes. The general saw his violet eyes twinkle.

His heart moved.

A familiar feeling pulsed through his veins.

 

“That should be enough for today,” Chanyeol let go suddenly.

 

Baekhyun coughed out of awkwardness and nodded, “Right,” 

 

Thankfully their awkwardness was saved by the morning alarm that sounded. Demigods all flooded into the barracks prepping for their next exercise that morning.

It was odd, and highly unlikely, but Baekhyun felt like just for a moment in time he’d unlocked a caved memory in Chanyeol. That he’d somehow resurfaced his true consciousness somewhere deep inside.

 

“Line up!” Chanyeol’s voice turned deeper.

 

Now he was back to his old General Chanyeol facade. If Baekhyun could just spend five more minutes he was certain that he’d be able to remind his boyfriend of all their memories together, the time they spent together, the times when they kissed, and held hands. He had to remember.