When I Really Come Alive

Shots at Love

A delinquent Seungwan and an uptight Joohyun. What could possibly go wrong when they sealed something off with a kiss on their first meeting? 


 

~~~~~ 

 

Joohyun lived out her life following the rules, what is normal and what she ought to do. Being raised in a family whose members' names were already established in the country. Surely, she should not be the one to mess up. Ever since she was a child, she was taught how to behave properly, what she should do in different circumstances and how to handle situations with actions that are calculated, planned and well-thought of. She was actually okay with living her life like that until a certain someone made her think otherwise. That beyond the concepts that were instilled inside her brain, that beyond actions that were deemed socially appropriate, that beyond the confines of their big mansion that once she thought was already enough for her - life can actually offer her more. A life that everything is need not to be thought of. A life that is not following any rules. A life where she can be happier than she had ever been. 


 

~~~~~ 

 

Blinding lights and booming music rang through her ears as her group of friends entered a popular night bar at the heart of Seoul, and she immediately grimaced at the uncomfortable combination. Joohyun hesitated and even pulled her hands out of Seulgi's grasp. The latter looking at her curiously and somehow afraid that her plan to drag Joohyun away from her boring life will go to waste when they are just an inch closer to her goal. 

 

Joohyun stepped back, her anxiety kicking in at the display of numerous people crowding the place even just at its entrance. What more on the inside? She thought. 

 

"I c-can't…" she uttered in a low tone, which earned a groan from her friend. 

 

"Just trust me in this one unnie. Let loose and have fun even for just a night. Pretty please? " Seulgi bargained, even clasping her hands. 

 

Hesitation was evident on her features and as soon as she looked around the area, such emotion was heightened at the sight of teenagers probably just her age - smoking, some were even holding can of beers as they laugh their hearts out to some petty jokes, Joohyun assumed at how wasted they look like. 

 

"Just look at them, Seul…" Joohyun pointed out. 

 

"Relax, you wouldn't be mingling with any of them unless you want to. We booked a private room so no need to worry." 

 

With that Seulgi successfully dragged Joohyun inside the bar. She was confused for a while as the bouncers even let them in without checking anything but then who will not? When the daughter of the owner is one of their friends, Sooyoung. 

 

After entering, it seems like Joohyun was blown away to some place that she didn't know existed. An upbeat song was blaring loudly from every corner in contrast to the soft classical music that her mother plays every morning and afternoon. Here, instead of butlers and maids surrounding her, people that are making out, swaying their bodies to the beat of the song and people drinking was the sight that welcomed her. Lastly, instead of books, alcoholic drinks were on everyone's grip. 

 

She again felt like it was a truly wrong move to get involved with Seulgi's antics. They were both just watching Netflix in Joohyun's room when her friend suddenly knew of the fact that both of her parents were away because of a business trip. With that, the latter immediately drag their other two friends, Yeri and Sooyoung, to go clubbing. Knowing the two carefree souls, of course they will agree. Joohyun can only facepalm at how fast everything happened. A lie to her nanny of sleeping over to Seulgi's house and an act of letting their family driver to drop them off the girl's house, made the dream work. And here she is after, unsure of this new environment. 


 

"What took you so long to enter?" Yeri asked as soon as they set foot in the said private room. 

 

"Our uptight friend here is having second thoughts again." the bear-like girl uttered almost in a mocking manner as she immediately pulled Joohyun to take a seat. 

 

Walls were adorned by a sophisticated red color with gold outlines. And a couch which Joohyun assumed to probably cost a lot by how soft it looks. Big LED television with a karaoke song is also displayed in front of them. 

Q

 

"Here, a soda for you. Your parents might kill me if they knew that I let you drink." Seulgi offered. 


 

A scoff can be heard from Joohyun afterwards, 

"You should have thought of that before dragging me here. Regardless if you'll let me drink or not, you'll have their hour of scolding if they knew of this." The latter felt betrayed at the accusation. She looked at Joohyun with so much bewilderment but of course not in a good way. 


 

"Woah! You saying that seems like you don't even have an ounce of willingness in coming here. May I remind you Ms. Bae, you nodded at me when I asked you." 

 

"But that's because you… you---" Okay, she admits defeat this time. Seulgi did not entirely force her into this. 


 

With such discontinuation, Seulgi smiled smugly at her. 


 

The night goes on with the four of them having the time of their lives. It is after an hour that Joohyun finally let-loose. Even singing some songs and drinking a glass no---it's two or probably three or maybe four?. She really can't remember but she can sense that she's starting to feel a little dizzy. This is the first time that she feels like this. With her rationality kicking in, she sat again while holding her now slightly throbbing head. The other three continued to sing and dance their hearts out in front of her. 


 

Excusing herself to go to the restroom, she hastily went out of the room. Not because of that business but to get some fresh air and to somehow clear her hazy head. Thankfully, she spotted a balcony nearby.


 

She inhaled the polluted night air but still it gives her so much relief after a grueling hour of unfamiliar surroundings and activities. But she cannot deny that she enjoyed this twist on her usual monotonous life. Joohyun might do this again. But not too soon. 



 

"You want? " an unfamiliar voice spoke beside her and as she looked at the source, a cigarette was being handed to her. Her face contorted at the sight of a girl probably just her age. Thick dark make up adorning her face. A bunch of piercings on both her ears and an outfit that screams trouble. A clear opposite to Joohyun. 


 

It is actually her first time to meet someone as bad as this person looks- not the type of a really bad person but someone who can do things that are out of what usual people do. 


 

"Get that away from me." she spat at the girl. 


 

"Then why are you here?" the latter asked with a hint of mischievousness in her voice as she stared playfully at her. 


 

"To get some fresh air. Why would I be here if not for that?" 


 

"To smoke?" 


 

"Clearly no. So please don't light up that one in your mouth. It stinks." Joohyun warned as she glared at the latter. 


 

She sighed in annoyance as the smell of cigarette smoke immediately lingered in the air. 


 

"Oops. My hand slipped." the girl mockingly uttered as she lightly waved her lighter. 


 

Pushing her to her limits. She abruptly grabbed the stick out of the latter's mouth and threw it away.


 

"Oops. My hand slipped." She repeated the girl's words and even let out a slight smirk. Joohyun isn't raised to not get back to whoever will challenge her. She can even see the girl is biting her lower lip, clearly annoyed at the clapback. That sight boosts her ego. 


 

"Just get lost." She ushered to the girl who just looked at her clearly taken aback. 


 

"Aren't we too feisty, miss? I came here first. If someone will go, it should be you." 


 

"Fine." Joohyun was going to head towards the sliding door to get in again after realizing that the presence of the other girl will result for her head to throb more. But then she was stopped on her tracks by a hand holding her wrist, stopping her from doing so. 

 

"You should stay…" 

 

"I don't mind a company especially if it is as beautiful as you." a lopsided grin was plastered on the girl's face before turning away again to gaze at the city lights. 

 

Joohyun on the other hand was dumbfounded at the sudden change of mood from the latter. Wasn't she just annoyed at her a few seconds ago? 

 

"I won't smoke. If you are worried about that." the girl stated while still fixing her gaze in front of them. 

 

"If you doubt my words about me finding you beautiful. You shouldn't, because you really are." The older girl's face contorted in confusion, but still she cannot even utter a word to the girl that is now gazing at her with a smile adorning her face. 

 

"If it's about my moodswing, I'm usually like this if a beautiful lady is with me." The girl ended her monologue with a wink which made Joohyun let out a scoff but soon proceeded to stand side by side with the girl. Their hands atop the railings of the balcony, basking on the dawn atmosphere. 



 

"You look like you don't frequent here." The girl uttered as she checked her appearance.

 

"Well, you sure do look like you frequent here." Joohyun replied as she threw a sidelong glance at the latter, finally taking notice of her nice but strange fashion sense. It's not bad, it was actually stylish. But it is not entirely Joohyun's cup of tea. 


 

"I do. Beautiful girls lurk around here." The latter smugly uttered. 

 

"That's what you all care for? Beautiful girls?" She replied with a hint of annoyance at her voice due to the girl's antics. 

 

"Maybe…" 

 

 

 

"That's exactly the reason why I told you to stay a while ago." The girl continued and stared at Joohyun intently. But it wasn't long before the girl tore her gaze away. 


 

With those intimate words (for her) being said, even if Joohyun doesn't want to. She suddenly felt a sudden surge of heat rushing to both her cheeks. She's glad that the lights are dim from where she is currently standing or else her blushing cheeks will boost the latter's ego more. She sure doesn't want that. 


 

A passing few moments of silence after that. The uptight girl cannot believe how she can be shut up with this stranger. Her words got stuck on which made her uncomfortable. She's not the one to feel submissive much more to a mere stranger. But she just cannot think of a clapback at that. Not when she's still steadying her heart beat. 


 

~~~~~


 

"YAAAAAAAAAH!" she shouted while hitting the latter's back. 


 

"Stop it or else we will be caught in an accident! You wouldn't want that right?" the latter reprimanded. 

 

"It is much better if you would just stop this motorcycle!" Joohyun shouted back while huffing. 

 

In a blink of an eye, the girl dragged her away from that club. In which she cannot say that it's just her fault because she agreed to the girl's proposal of wanting to dance. With a condition that she doesn't want sweaty bodies and blaring music. Her mind wandered off after as the girl stated that she knew a perfect place for that. 


 

Another spontaneous thing that she didn't expect - the latter can be really convincing to the point that Joohyun will ride on her motorcycle with her in order to get to the place of who knows where --- just to have that dance. Another strange first for her. 


 

Her pleadings fell into deep ears as the stranger sped up on the almost empty highway. Given the time of their escapade, surely the girl can go even a hundred kilometers per hour if she wants to. 


 

"Just relax, okay? Feel the air. It's so good!" 

 

"How can I relax when I am on the verge of dying!?" 


 

"Don't you trust me?"

 

Such question doesn't even require a millisecond for her to come up with a "No!" 

 

"Come on, just do it! Feel the air! I am pretty sure it is a rare occurrence for you to ride a motorcycle. Might as well cherish it." The latter bargained again. 


 

Joohyun inhaled a few deep breaths before opening her eyes, taking into account the scenery at the side. She was welcomed by the dark waters of Han River as they crossed the bridge atop of it. The lights reflecting the waters from the cityscape and how serene the water looks, left her in awe. Adding to that is the cool breeze that hits her straight to the face. But it's not annoying her. It somehow eases her anxiety. 


 

 

 

 

"We're here." The stranger softly uttered after climbing off from her motorcycle. Joohyun blinked a few times as she registered all the happenings. From the time Seulgi dragged her to the club, meeting this strange carefree girl and until here. She then roamed her eyes around her and was met with a small pond with bright lights adorning its vicinity. The sight is truly mesmerizing. The dark sky and bright moon adding to its beauty. 


 

"Earth to you, beautiful." With that Joohyun broke free from her thoughts and looked at the stranger with a small smile plastered on her face. The girl just grinned at her in return as she extended her right hand for Joohyun to take. 


 

~~~~~ 

 

After a few questions from Joohyun as to where this place is and how did the girl discovered this place, the two then settled on one of the benches overlooking the pond. 


 

"So, you brought me here because?" the older girl inquired after a few minutes of a deafening silence. 


 

"Just because." she simply replied. Joohyun is going to let out a groan at that but the serene features of the latter entered her line of sight after glancing at her. In contrast to her strong and delinquent facade this look of tranquility clearly caught her off-guard. 


 

"Why? You don't like it here?" Joohyun immediately diverted her gaze as the girl looked at her while saying those questions. 


 

"It is not that, I just feel this whole escapade weird." 


 

"I can't believe I let a stranger drag me to a place I didn't know just to have a dance and made me ride a motorcycle although for a first, it was actually a good experience. Save for the first few minutes of it." She continued which earned her a loud chuckle from the girl. 


 

"I am glad I gave you some of your firsts, beautiful." 


 

"S-stop calling me that." she reprimanded while trying to mask her blushing cheeks. This is not good for her. She's not usually like this. No one has ever made her feel like this. 


 

"Don't you like it? I am just stating the obvious." Still grinning at her, the stranger extended her hand for the nth time. 


 

"Let's do your another first." 


 

When Joohyun just stared at her with a confused look, the girl was the one who pulled her out of her seat. Put her both hands on the back of the latter's neck and eventually the girl's hands settled on her waist. Such actions heightened the blush on her cheeks. Not to mention that while doing those, the latter was looking at her intently.


 

"The dance that I propose. This is again one of your firsts, right? Dancing with a cool stranger at dawn near a pond." 


 

"That description was surely detailed. And what? A cool stranger? " Joohyun shot her an incredulous look but both of them knew that she was just messing around. 


 

"Aren't I?" 


 

"If you want to think that way, then so be it. But just so you know, you are far from cool for me." 


 

"You're lying." 


 

"I am not." 


 

"Yes, you are." 


 

"No, I am n---" Joohyun's retaliation was cut off as the girl pulled her close towards her body, even tightening her grip on her waist. 



 

"Let's just dance. Shall we?" She was lost in the girl's eyes as she stared at her intently, hence, she just nodded like an obedient puppy to her owner who will give her snacks afterwards. 


 

Joohyun was going to ask how are they going to dance when there's no song playing, when the girl started singing.

 

(Title of the song: When I Really Come Alive by Wildflowers) 

 

// I used to stayed up all night

Tryin′ to find my place

Chasin' neon lights or lookin′ for some kind of trace

To leave me out of darkness //

 

Joohyun was mesmerized by the latter's voice. It is so soothing to the point that even if the song is not familiar to her. Her movements came natural like she knows the song by heart and is swaying heartily to it with the stranger. What made her wonder the most, is the lyrics of the song. Why did the girl choose this one? 

 

// Give me a little faith

Somethin' to make me stronger 

Someone who could light the way

Then you came to me and

You give me reason

I almost can't believe it // 

 

Was this song for her? No, it can't be. It is too soon for the girl to feel this way for her, right? But with the way this stranger looked at her as they slowly sway to every song lyric that she wonderfully sings, made her think otherwise. 

 

// Everytime we touch I feel at home

That′s the way I′d never let you go

The way you put your hands in mine I know

I'm gonna be alright

I don′t know what you'd do to me but I

Feel like I am way up in the sky

The way you put your hands in mine I know

I′m gonna be alright //


 

Thump. Thump. Thump. 

 

If her hands weren't around the latter's neck, she'll surely clutch on her beating heart. For the nth time, she's wondering how someone can make her feel like this much more, someone who is a mere stranger? 

 

Her breath got caught as the latter flashed her a smile while they eyed each other. All her questions for the girl awhile ago swarmed at the back of her brain again. But this time, Joohyun is questioning herself. 

 

Will she be happy, if this song is really for her? 

 

It is too soon for her to feel this way for this girl, right? 


 

// Cause when we touch is when I really come alive // 

 

The girl finishes while closing her eyes. When she opened it up, time stood still for the both of them when nothing aside from their labored breaths can be heard. Staring intently at each other, gauging on who should break their gaze first. 


 

Joohyun was glad that the latter initiated their next conversation for she doesn't know what to say anymore, "Tell me one of your wishes." The girl's question was laced with genuinity, that Joohyun can sense. 


 

"This may sound absurd but I have been thinking if there's more to life that I am currently living…" she started.

 

"So, it will be good if someone will give me an answer to that." 


 

"No, not just an answer… " after all the happenings with this strange girl, Joohyun is keen to not just know but also to feel. 


 

"But to make me feel too." The girl (as much as she hates to admit it) surely awakened some of her curiosity about what's beyond her monotonous life. She's okay with everything but not when new-found feelings surfaced that makes her crave more for all the plausible results of experiencing more. 


 

It is not necessarily the girl, anyone can probably do that for h--- 


 

Her internal monologue was cut off when the girl beamed at her suddenly, "I can actually do that, beautiful." 


 

"Huh?" 


 

"It's a deal then." 


 

"Answer me first. What is the meaning of t---" the girl wouldn't let her finish her sentence. She should be annoyed but not when the girl continuously smiles at her. 


 

"Let's seal it." 


 

"Wha---" 


 

Soon a warm pair of lips met hers when the girl suddenly leaned in towards her. The sudden action clearly left her speechless. She didn't expect this. Well, she didn't expect any of this from the moment she met this stranger. 

 

Seconds passed but the two of them didn't move even an inch. Joohyun's rationality still didn't kick in as she just dumbfoundedly stared at the girl's closed eyes, shock evident on her features. 


 

She gulped unconsciously when the girl started to move, on her upper lip as her hands that were resting on her waist made its way up to her cheeks. Softly caressing her skin along the way. It was probably her soft lips or how good a pair of lips felt against hers or the way this girl made her feel all throughout the time they were together - that instead of pushing her. Joohyun found herself kissing back. 

 

 


Just how many of my firsts can I experience when I am with this stranger? 

 


 

Her hold on the latter's neck tightened as the girl deepened their kiss. By the way Joohyun kisses her back, the latter knows that this is her first time. Her movements are stiff and will sometimes go out of rhythm. But she could care less to all of that. She's intent on making the other girl feel how nice it is, if she will just let loose and experience a new perspective about life that hopefully she'll be the one to bring. That she promise from this very moment onwards. 

 

The kiss was unnecessary but she cannot help it, not when both of them were so close with each other and the girl just let her do all these crazy things. She's not taking advantage, was she? As what she can sense, they both want it. 


 

Her movements became aggressive as these thoughts flowed on her mind, she accidentally bit the girl's lower lip which earned her a yelp coming from the latter. They both stopped their ministrations and craziness. Afterwards, the girl abruptly backed away like she was burned by something. She was going to say sorry when a slap resonated in the still atmosphere. 


 

Shocked was evident on both their faces, clearly not expecting the turn of events after the kiss. Everything was unexpected anyways since the beginning. That is why it's quite funny how the retaliation and processing happened after they lip locked for almost a minute. They may be thinking the same thing as the two of them started to laugh their hearts out after registering how dumb they must have looked like with shocked expressions. 


 

"I j-just didn't expect that you would kiss me. I'm sorry." Truthfully, all of these were new to her. But she's the kind of person that will bluntly say words even if it's a little awkward. Joohyun was raised to not beat around the bush because she was expected to mingle with busy rich people most of her life. 


 

"Should I slap you too? I didn't expect you to kiss me back." The girl teasingly uttered as she walked towards her parked motorcycle. 


 

"Shut up." That line should sound annoyed but her voice betrayed her when it came out like it's a tease back. 







 

"Let's get you home before I do something that both of us wouldn't expect." The girl smugly said while putting her two-wheeled vehicle into life. 


 

Joohyun couldn't agree more, immediately climbing too. Unbeknownst to her, her hands that were situated on the girl's shoulders on their way to the said place, were now encircled on the latter's waist. The stranger on the other hand, after noticing the sudden change, was truly fighting her urge to stop her vehicle and just stay there with the beautiful girl or maybe take a detour and kidnapped her away in order to keep her. 


 

If on their way home was already hard for her, it surely took all her willpower to not kiss the girl again when they stopped in front of the girl's house. 


 

She was scratching the back of her neck while Joohyun was staring at the ground, both do not know what they would be after this. Will they continue to meet or this would be the end? 



 

~Ring Ring Ring~ 


 

After hearing the girl's phone ringing, she heaved a relieved sigh. It will buy her time to think on what to do from this. 


 

"I'm so sorry, Seulgi!... Yes, don't worry I'm home… Yeah, something just came up and I need to go home immediately… I am okay, I promise… Okay, take care on your way home… Bye." 



 

"I guess, I should go home too." She cannot believe that for those few minutes that the girl is on call. The thing she came up with was to go home. She mentally facepalmed at her cowardice. 


 

"O-okay, thank you… " Joohyun trailed off, clearly taking a chance to know her name. 


 

"Wendy. My name is Wendy." 


 

"It was crazy meeting you, Wendy." The girl playfully uttered. 



 

"Crazy in a good way or bad way?" 



 

"It definitely is the former, don't worry." the girl reassured which made her smile widely. 

 

The girl smiled at her. This time, it was an unusual kind of smile. Not one of the usual smiles she has let out for the cource of a few hours they were together.  




 

"That's good to hear, Joohyun-ssi. See you at school." Were the girl's last words before she climbed on her motorbike and drove off. Leaving Joohyun's mouth open as she tried to process the girl's words. 






 

What the hell? 

 

 

To be continued... 

 

 

~~~~~ 

 

A/N: Here's another update from me : ) I am really sorry for being inactive for quite a while. I just don't have any motivation to write and I am currently taking a break after my summer classes. As usual, I didn't expect for this to be extra long so I'll be dividing this into parts. But I promise I'll finish this story asap since another academic year is waving at me T.T 

I hope y'all like this one :) Please do comment your thoughts ♡

Stay safe y'all so that we can all welcome another RV era with a good health ^o^