Winning Your Heart (A Test)

Shots at Love

A story in which Seungwan tried to distract Joohyun (her rival) so that she can be the top of their class and win someone’s heart.

 

~~~~~

 

“Joohyun-ah… “

 

A hum can only be heard as the latter’s reply. Seungwan pouted at the lack of attention and proceeds to stick her index finger on Joohyun’s side from time to time.

 

“You’re distracting me, Seungwan. Stop it.” The latter whined as she softly smack the girl’s hand away. Seungwan smirked at the idea of distracting the one and only, Bae Joohyun. The top of their class since their freshman year. Seungwan’s rank? As unfortunate as it is, she always ranked the second. It was actually fine to her, not until her crush just challenged her to surpass Joohyun during their final exams and if she did, her answer would be a ‘yes' to her confession. So here she is, three days on her plan to annoy or distract the girl so she cannot concentrate on her study sessions. Surely, it will not be enough if she will not study too. Hence, her plan contains annoying Joohyun in school and studying her brains out the moment she gets home. Maybe, it is doing it’s wonders since the topic that is currently where Joohyun is browsing, was the topic she learned yesterday night.

 

Another idea popped on her head and soon she dashed out of the library, which left a confused Joohyun behind. Even with her curiosity, she continued studying her notes but soon groaned in annoyance at Seungwan’s antics. Joohyun cannot help but to think as to where did that girl go.

 

It took Seungwan a good ten minutes to come back with snacks and drinks on her hand. Joohyun stared dumbfounded at the latter, clearly bewildered as to how can she get all these things inside the library. Where every corner there’s a warning written that says ‘Eating and drinking is not allowed.’ Sensing her state, Seungwan smiled at her sheepishly.

 

“You know that I am Ms. Kim’s favorite, right? Sure, you are the top of the class but you cannot and will not be able to have this kind of privilege. “ Seungwan teased while sticking her tongue out at the now fuming girl.

 

As Joohyun continued to glare at her, Seungwan opened the bag of chips and offered it to the latter. It was Joohyun’s favorite. Hence, she knew that even if she will annoy the older girl to no end right now. She will be forgiven.

 

They were both munching on their food while talking lowly since it is still a library, studying was clearly thrown at the back of Joohyun’s mind. Because Seungwan on the other hand, is trying to prolong their conversation while smirking inwardly. Her plan is really working.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Why are you sulking?” Seungwan asked at Joohyun who is walking in a fast manner. They were now on their way home. Both of them lived in the same neighborhood so even if they are rivals in class, they actually don’t mind the ranking. Again, that was before the condition that was laid out by Seungwan’s crush.

 

“It’s because of you that I cannot be able to study that much a while ago!” Joohyun whined as she slap Seungwan on the shoulders repeatedly. A bunch of ‘Ouch' can be heard every time her palm hits the now running girl. Joohyun chased the latter until she stopped in front of Joohyun’s house. For the last time, Joohyun land her palm on the latter’s shoulder, this time a bit harder than the usual. Seungwan yelped at the sudden impact and soon clutch on her right shoulder.

 

 

“It h-hurts, unnie.” She dramatically exclaimed in pain. That does the trick and Joohyun immediately went to her side to check on her.

 

“A-are you okay? I’m sorry! Where does it hurt? Seungwan-ah! Tell me where does it hurt.” she bombarded the girl with questions while trying to satiate the pain that the younger girl is feeling by caressing the so-called injured shoulder.

 

 

Seungwan stopped on her antics and land a kiss on Joohyun’s cheek before backing away. Joohyun can feel the immediate blush on her cheeks at the girl’s sudden actions. She should have known that something must have been up on Seungwan’s sleeve. She’s been like this after she confessed to that crush of hers. She must have been really motivated to bring Joohyun on the second rank.

 

 

“Have a good night, unnie! Study your lessons well! “ Seungwan shouted in a mocking manner while waving her hands at the now glaring girl. But her redden cheeks were a great contrast to the expression she tried to let out. With one last ounce of playfulness for the day, Joohyun witnessed how the girl shot her a wink and a finger heart before finally running away with a bright smile adorning her face.

 

Joohyun cannot also helped but to mirror the same expression although she’s really trying to hide it. There is no need for that actually since the girl who’s the reason for everything was already out of her sight.

 

 

That girl. She will really do everything for the sake of her crush, huh?

 

 

Joohyun on that particular night was clearly distracted as Seungwan wants her to be. It seems like every image that was displayed on her textbook is Seungwan’s smiling face after kissing her cheek a few hours back. Well to be fair, Seungwan was also cursing herself, her plan backfiring at her. She too is not doing any better than Joohyun.

 

 

~~~~~

 

For the next days, Seungwan ruled out the idea of kissing Joohyun again. She promised herself not to do it since it also does her no good.

 

“For you.” Seungwan stated simply after placing a bouquet of red roses in front of Joohyun. Her plan for the day of distracting Joohyun was put into action.

 

 

“Wooh! Way to go, Wannie! “ Seulgi, the older girl’s seatmate and one of their close friends cheered and teased.

 

 

“Wouldn’t your crush be jealous? “ Joohyun inquired sternly while raising one of her eyebrows.

 

Seulgi confusedly stared at the exchange of the two. But the beauty of the flowers caught her attention which prevented her from blurting anything at that moment and proceeds on sniffing the roses that was on Joohyun’s hold.

 

 

 

 

Seungwan put her two hands on Joohyun’s desk and slowly leaned towards the latter, causing for Joohyun to lean back, as a reflex. Clearly, flustered at the sudden display of braveness from the younger girl.

 

 

 

“Well, you are clearly happy. “ Seungwan pointed out while staring intently at her. A small smirk is grazing her features.

 

 

Soon, her hand cupped Joohyun’s cheeks softly as she tried to pull Joohyun’s gaze towards her upon noticing how her eyes diverted anywhere except to her.

 

 

 

 

 

“Aren’t you?” Seungwan continued.

 

 

Joohyun is finding the appropriate words to utter as a reply to the latter. Her emotions are clearly going haywire and their classes aren’t even starting yet. She’s clearly not happy anymore with these sudden episodes of Seungwan and her antics to get that person’s heart.

 

 

Joohyun was the first person to know about the younger girl’s confession. She should be since she’s really involved on this.

 

 

 

“I uhmmm … I am n---” her words got cut off as their homeroom teacher entered the class. She let out the breath that in the first place she didn’t know she was holding. Seungwan on the other hand, immediately went back to her seat while smirking and a victorious smile followed suit.

 

 

 

“Good morning, everyone! I just want to remind you of a few things today.” Ms. Jung, their homeroom teacher started after everyone settled on their seats.

 

 

“First, please do well on your exams tomorrow, okay?” she encouraged.

 

“I am hoping that you are not that distracted lately and are focusing on reviewing your lessons.” That made Irene and Wendy to cough loudly. Upon hearing the word ‘distracted', they both feel like there is something on their throats that instant, causing for them to both choke on their saliva at the same time.

 

 

Ms. Jung looked at her two top students worriedly and both were busy regaining their breathing.

 

 

“Are the both of you, okay?” she inquired, worry and curiosity are evident on her voice.

 

 

“Y-yes, Ms. Jung…” The older one replied still holding her chest to somehow stop her coughing.

 

 

“ I just feel like someone--- I mean something is bothering my throat lately.” Joohyun emphasized at the words ‘someone' and ‘bothering’ while shooting a glare at the culprit of all of these. Seungwan abruptly gulped due to nervousness at the latter’s dark expression, causing for her coughing to come back.

 

 

“Did you take your medicine already? Now is not the ideal time to get sick, Joohyun.” Ms. Jung said softly.

 

 

“I am fine, Ms. As long as that someone--- I mean something will STOP BOTHERING me.” She reiterated again, trying to get her disapproval of Seungwan’s actions the past few days through the younger girl’s head.

 

 

 

The classes continued and Joohyun was glad that finally Seungwan stopped whatever her plans are for the day. The girl was also busy reviewing her notes for the past hours so she doesn’t have the luxury of time to distract her rival.

 

 

~~~~~

 

Seungwan was done for the day and was on her way towards her bed when a silly idea popped on her mind again. Hers and Joohyun’s day was quite uneventful except what happened before their classes starts. A little fun will spice things up, wouldn’t it?

 

 

She immediately went towards her bathroom to wash up as part of her final distraction. After washing up, she poses for the camera, letting her wet hair fall freely on her shoulders. Finding the perfect photo, she smiled wickedly.

 

 

 

 

 

 

To Hyun:

Unnie, I am wet while thinking of you.

 

 

After sending the message, Seungwan cannot helped but to laugh loudly. Some tears were even b at her eyes due to her chuckling. A clear opposite to the reaction of the recipient.

 

 

A buzz on her phone pulled her out of her studying session. Joohyun adjusted her eyes to the brightness of the device as she read the notification.

 

Message received from Wannie

 

Thinking that the latter must have probably stopped her childish acts to ace the test since her day has been Seungwan-free, clearly didn’t expect the message she’ll received and the image she’ll see.

 

 

There, Seungwan in her wet look was smirking at her while biting on the top of her index finger as she pose for the camera. Joohyun can sense that the photo was taken immediately after she took a shower since a bathroom tiles adorned the photo’s background. At the realization, her cheeks immediately heat up and she was on the verge of throwing her phone at the nearest wall due the surge of images flashing through her eyes as to what could possibly be seen if it was a whole body shot. Joohyun was thanking the heavens for not letting Seungwan to go to such heights or it will surely be the death of her.

 

 

She hastily typed her reply, with a shaking but angry fingers.

 

To Wannie:

Yah! What the hell are you doing?!

Have you gone crazy?!

Wet your face! ( ̄へ ̄)

 

She sent the three in less done a minute. An exasperated sigh left afterwards. This girl is surely something.

 

 

From Wannie:

Should I wet my face with what, unnie? (¬_¬)

 

And why are you so worked up?

 

I just said that I am wet since I’ve just finished showering? And you instantly popped inside my head afterwards.

 

Unless you are thinking of anything else kekekeke

 

Joohyun fumed at the messages despite having a blushing cheeks. She was going to type her reply when she thought of a better idea.

 

 

Two can play this game.

 

 

 

From Hyun:

 

 

Seungwan immediately smiled at the familiar buzz of her phone. She cannot wait to tease the latter more. But upon opening the message, all the air must have been out of her whole being as Joohyun in a cat/maid like filter welcomed her line of sight. Moreover, as a deadly combo, the girl even stuck her tongue out as she posed for the camera, which appears to be really seductive to Seungwan.

 

 

 

 

 

Come here, Wannie. Play with me.

 

 

HOLY …

 

 

The plan of just one of them to lose their cool turned into two. Both of them were cursing each other as they continuously rolled on their bed trying to get some sleep.

 

 

 

~~~~~

 

“Good luck, Bae. ”

 

“Try to beat me, Son.”

 

Was their only exchange before the exam starts, dark circles where under their eyes. But both were not sure if it was because of studying or was it because of the happenings that transpired the past night. Maybe they knew, but they are just stubborn to admit such.

 

 

~~~~~

 

Their days went by normal again after their final examinations. The two of them are kind of confident with their performance during the test. Now, they are just waiting for the announcement of when will the results be posted on the school’s bulletin board.

 

 

Seungwan brightly waved at the two best friends after entering the cafeteria. She was held back by their last professor before lunch, asking her to bring their outputs on her desk.

 

 

Joohyun sensing the girl’s presence looked up from her phone and soon makes space for the latter to sit beside her. Noticing the food that was placed in front of her, the girl immediately beamed at Seulgi. Her best friend truly knows her preference when it comes to food.

 

 

“Thank you for this, Seulgi-ah.” She thanked the latter who smiled awkwardly at her for some unknown reason.

 

Pointing at the girl beside her, “It wasn’t me, Joohyun was the one who bought that for you.”

 

 

Uh oh.

 

 

She slowly turned her head to the left at the awkward mistake, a poker-faced Joohyun entered her line of sight. Even though her face is devoid of any expresssion, Seungwan even prefers to see Joohyun's scowling face than this. 

 

 

 

She laughed awkwardly at first, trying to test the waters. Now is not the time to get on the girl’s bad side since the results will come out any moment from now.

 

 

 

“Unnie hehe…” Seungwan coaxed while wearing her puppy eyes.

 

 

“Thank you! “ she then exclaimed and immediately hug the girl. Joohyun didn’t budge to which Seungwan gulped nervously as she buried her head on the crook of the older girl’s neck. If it is any other situation, a blush might creep on her cheeks at their proximity causing for her to inhale the other girl’s heavenly scent. But such realization went unnoticed by her as she tried her best to ease the tension that is surrounding the both of them.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Pull your hands away or you will not really going to like my answer.” At such declaration, Seungwan abruptly straightened herself on her seat and immediately proceeds on eating her lunch that Joohyun bought. She was just really trying her best to keep her cool, but she was actually cursing herself mentally.

 

 

 

 

“The results are out!” One of the students exclaimed at the cafeteria. Seungwan’s chewing stopped mid-air as her heart rate quickens. She bolted out of her seat and ran towards the bulletin board, not even waiting for her two friends. The girl was really eager to know the results, this was bugging her to no end ever since the examination day.

 

 

She tried her best to insert herself at the swarm of people before her. Finally getting in front, she first closed her eyes as she prayed to all the angels above to grant her wish.

 

 

 

Seungwan smiled as she still didn’t saw her names from the bottom of the paper until the top five students.

 

 

 

 

 

 

5. Im Nayeon

4. Kang Seulgi

 

She was smiling brightly at the display of Seulgi’s name at that particular rank. Her placing got a lot higher than the previous exam.

 

 

3. Myoui Mina

 

She was already holding her breath at the next name that her eyes will be set unto. Seungwan again closed her eyes and prayed again. She can even hear a person shouting her name to went out of the way since it took too long for her already to look for her name. She could just careless about that. As she continuously chant that she should be the top this time. Opening her eyes again, she heave a deep breath and proceeds to reading the last two names.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

2. Son Seungwan

 

 

1. Bae Joohyun

 

The instant she finally read the names, that was the time that her surroundings was finally registered on her mind. Shouts of people can be heard whether those were of annoyance or a fit of celebration. But she could care less about that as disappointment surge through her. Slumping her back as a sign of defeat, she slowly backed away. ‘I should have done better' was swirling on her mind, finding the answers to the question on which items she answered incorrectly. Seungwan was quite confident about the result. She’s not staying up too late, even skipping meals to get this kind of result. Maybe Joohyun is just too good. Well, she’s not unaware of that fact. The older girl isn’t the top of their class for as long as Seungwan can remember for nothing. But she do really hope that this time, with all her hard work she can surpass the latter for the sake of winning her crush’s heart. Now, what should she tell her? Can she even face the girl after failing her one condition?

 

 

When she successfully backed away from the pushing of everyone that’s trying to see their rank, all Seungwan could do was to bow her head. Which cause her to bump to another body. She stumbled a bit and will surely face the ground if it wasn’t for the other girl holding her. The impact wasn’t that much but with her defeated self, even a strong wind can carry her away.

 

 

When she looked up a curious Joohyun was what welcomed her. She immediately get away from her grasp upon realizing it and was determined to get out of there as soon as possible.

 

 

“Congrats, Joohyun! Wow, how come anyone can’t still beat you? Although Seungwan did really great too! Wow, the gap between you two was literally insane.” One of their classmates rambled. With that Joohyun worriedly looked at the already retreating figure.

 

 

“Seungwan-ah! “ she heard the girl calling for her but she still continued her hurried steps.

 

 

She was supposed to round a corner when a hand stops her from doing so. With tears b on her eyes, she clearly cannot face anyone right now. Hence, she just stared at the floor, waiting for the person to speak.

 

 

“Seungwan-ah…” Joohyun’s soft voice echoed on her ears as she slowly went in front of her, judging from the pair of shoes that entered her line of sight.

 

 

“I f-failed, unnie…” she disappointedly uttered, wiping a bunch of tears that succeeded in wetting her cheeks.

 

 

 

With soft hands that were now cupping her cheeks, the older girl lift Seungwan’s head and smiled reassuringly at the younger girl. She then wiped her remaining tears for her.

 

 

 

 

 

“You didn’t Wannie.” The older girl started, trying to coaxed the latter.

 

 

 

 

“You did really well… “ she let out a small smile first before continuing.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

My girlfriend.”

 

 

A warm pair of lips crushes on Seungwan afterwards which rendered her speechless for a few seconds. But soon reciprocated the action after regaining her composure. Both of them are smiling in between their kisses. Swelling with overwhelming emotions at the result of everything.

 

 

Joohyun broke the kiss but not her hold on the younger girl’s cheeks, who is now sporting an astounded and delighted expression.

 

 

 

“Whether you surpassed me or not. My answer would still be a yes, Wannie. You stole my heart away ever since. I was just trying to know if you are really serious with what you feel for me.”

 

 

A pouting Seungwan made Joohyun to let out a loud chuckle.

 

 

 

“Kiss this pout away, baby.” Seungwan proposes as she puckered her lips more towards the older girl.

 

 

 

Joohyun of course, obliged while chuckling. 

 

 

Even though Seungwan wasn't  be able to win on the rankings, at least she won Joohyun's heart since the beginning as the older declared. That's the only thing that matters for her. 

 

 

The end. 

~~~~~ 

A/N: An update from me again as a thank you for all the subscriptions and upvotes :) Let's go for a doze of fluff this time hahahaha

 

Am I good in hiding who is Seungwan's crush or you already knew since the very start? Let me know your thoughts :)

 

Until my next update! Gonna study for my exams later but unlike Seungwan I'm not winning someone's heart :(