Chap 6

My Secret Crush is an Ajumma
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Shin-hye said she had to leave early and would Aerin be the best and drop Jungkook at the gym to fetch his car. She said this all while already standing with her bag over her shoulder.
The little cheat wasn’t even limping anymore. It was scary how far ahead Shin-hye was capable of plotting. Then she became aware of him staring. She met his gaze. He held it, determined not to look away this time.

“You must think I’m strange for attacking you.” She waved over a waiter and called for the cheque, “I’m not usually in the habit of kissing just anyone…” she trailed off thinking about Minsook. He’d really been the only one she wanted to kiss, “And don’t ask me why. It just happened and we had a nice lunch and now I will take you to your car.”

He waited till they were in the parking lot of the gym centre to tell her that he wasn’t going along with her way of doing things. Aerin wanted things wrapped up nicely so she could move on. “I know it’s messy and you’re worried about someone finding out…”

“Wait…no Jungkook ssi that is not what I’m worried about.” She stared out through the windscreen. She’d parked next to his car which faced the wall. So they had some privacy at least. That was how he thought about it, but she just wanted him out of the car – probably – and that made him want to make things difficult for her. “There is nothing for anyone to find out about. There is no scandal here. Don’t worry about things like that. I…” she took a breath, “Just want to end this – whatever this is. Running into each other, you helping me out, I don’t need or want it. I am not the type to get saved. It embarrasses me, makes me want to lash out.” She smiled at him then, a smile of pity, “And you – you’re the hero type. What are you even doing huh?”

Jungkook faced forward. What was he doing?

“We run in different circles. I’m looking at thirty and you’re just starting out…”

"Do you want me to ignore you the next time you’re drunk or crying in front of your ex-boyfriend’s apartment? I’ll just walk by if you fall into a ditch or fans are bothering you?”

Aerin glared out the window, “how embarrassing jinja…” she pressed her forehead against the glass It was so nice and cold. She pressed harder. “Get out.”

Jungkook unbuckled his seatbelt, she stayed turned away from him. He opened the door, “Then…goodbye.” He bowed and got out of the car. He had almost forgotten what miserable felt like. When was the last time he’d felt his heart pain, his chest tight, the impending fear looming over his head like a rain cloud, warning him that as soon as he got into his car and drove away he’d lose something, an opportunity, the potential for something greater than what he had right now.

He felt for his keys, pressed the button to open the car. He heard the buzzing of the automatic system raising the little black buttons. He turned back…he’d changed his mind.

Aerin started the car and hurrying, she reversed and drove away. She told herself not to look in the review mirror and was proud when she swung around the ramp and onto the street.

“He’s a bastard!” Bae Su-ji swore and threw the gossip magazine onto the table as she sat down for lunch with the girls.

“And she’s a .” Aerin sighed, “except she isn’t – we know she isn’t.”

“That’s why I’m saying Lee Minsook is a bastard. I don’t blame Sarang.” Su-ji continued. “Can I get a glass of anything? I was so angry since seeing this silly article.”

“I do blame her.” Shin-hye scoffed and draped a protective arm around Aerin’s shoulder, “Don’t you guys remember?” from the blank looks on their faces she knew they didn’t, “How she hung around oppa? Asking for his advice? What advice did she need from him? Why not ask you Jin-ah? You were her co-star in that movie. She was just a rookie at the time, but she sidled up to oppa, with those big doe eyes…” Shin-hye snatched the bottle of champagne from Su-ji and topped up her glass.

“Oh damn, I almost forgot about that.” Nana slammed the table, “That little was angling for oppa the entire time.”

“I love you guys.” Aerin threw her arms around them.

Su-ji finally got a glass of champagne and drank half of it in one go, “I still think Minsook was the guiltier party but Shin-hye’s right about Sarang always being around oppa.”

“But let’s be honest, she has the advantage.” Aerin stood as she said it, “And I’m not saying it so you can come back with ego-boosting one-liners, I’m just telling you that she’s younger, talented and it girl on the scene. In a couple of year’s time, they’ll be casting me as her mother.”

They couldn’t help laughing, even she laughed. “I’m already cast as the neglected first wife.”

“Hey, you stole the show in that role. I couldn’t look away from you.” Shin-hye praised.
“And now that role is being used a giant meme,” Su-ji muttered.

Aerin cringed. “I’m going to the bathroom.”

“Don’t take long.” Jin-ah called out but none of them suggested going with her. Aerin hated them fussing over her.

Alone in the bathroom, she pulled out her phone and saw all the messages and social media notifications making fun of her situation. Looks like Aerin is the neglected woman on and off the screen.

She wanted to scream from the shame of the situation. How could he do this to her? It was one thing to say she was clingy or that she loved him too much – but why did he choose Sarang? It was the ultimate betrayal. And now she was forced to handle the situation with the grace and poise of a top actress. She knew the media and the world wanted to see her cry and breakdown and admit how hurt she was.

“And they’ll be at the awards show tomorrow.” Jin-ah was saying when Aerin came back to the room.

“Well, I have to face it sometime.” Aerin tried to be brave in front of them, “Don’t worry ladies, I’m fine. I have you guys.”

“Speaking of dudes. Why don’t you take someone as a date?”

Aerin blew off the idea. No one would want her now and why would she invite the gossip. They’d probably turn it around on her somehow. They’d say how quick she’d moved on or maybe she was the one who broke it off with Minsook. No, she must let them own the situation.

“I know so many actors who have secret crushes on unnie.” Su-ji tried to convince her.

“Why are we even talking about this? You know it’s impossible for me to turn up with someone. Imagine the scandal? They’d say I was the cause and make Minsook into a hero.”

“Then I suppose turning up with some hot, younger guy who’s 100 times more popular and powerful than Minsook is out of the question?” Shin-hye asked casually.

Aerin wasn’t even going to comment or encourage her but Jin-ah and Su-ji took the bait.

“Jeon Jungkook for example,” Shin-hye said.

Jin-ah shook her head quickly, “No, no it won’t work. Their fans are insane. Unnie would be crucified. I’d have to stop being your friend out of fear for my own life.”

“Oh from BTS.” Su-ji’s eyes were huge, “I mean…sure there was the one time he helped unnie out with the pit incident but that was it…” she wasn’t convinced.

“There was only the one-time right Aerin?” Shin-hye pressed.

Aerin shot her a warning look.

“Aren’t you signed on to work with them at the Lotte Christmas CF?”

“So what? I couldn’t get out of it because I’m on contract with Lotte.”

Su-ji and Jin-ah had missed something. Why was it a big deal? In fact, anyone else who wasn’t as a big a star as the women in the room would consider it a career-making move. Something to propel you into the spotlight. Aerin certainly didn’t need it, but it would still boost both BTS and Aerin’s public persona in different ways.

“Yes, so what, right?” Shin-hye needled her.

“OH MY GOD…” Su-ji looked between Aerin and Shin-hye, “Are you implying what I think you are?”

“She’s not,” Aerin growled.

“Good because you’re like 10 years older than him.”

“Eight,” Aerin said through clenched teeth.

“The fact that you know that.” Jin-ah covered , “Did something happen between you two?”

“Of course not! Do you think I’m crazy?” Aerin was red by this time and she was annoyed at it. This was Shin-hye the pot stirrer’s fault.

“Why would it be crazy?” Shin-hye was a little angry, “You’re a beautiful, talented amazing woman.”

“That is different.” Su-ji interrupted.

“Do you see how the world sees something like that?” Aerin told Shin-hye later on when it was just the two of them, “I wish you would stop your scheming unnie.”

“So you’re telling me that you’re not aware of Jungkook?”

“I know he exists.” Aerin replied, “He’s hard to miss.” The kid was all over the place. On billboards, on the TV, on the radio, on her phone, and now in her mind. There was no safe place.

Shin-hye smiled but moved on, “I’ll see you tomorrow. Don’t do anything tonight. You just have to make it to the awards and hold your head high like a queen.”

Aerin grumbled but Shin-hye knew her so well because she was outside his apartment building at midnight, waiting for him to come home.

“Noona…”

She turned, “.” She swore under her breath. What in the world was Jeon Jungkook doing here? In her world, intruding, always catching her out when she was at her weakest. She straightened, “Hey…”

“Noona, let me take you home.”

Aerin tried not to feel angry. He was saving her from a very embarrassing situation. She should get into her car and go home and no one would be the wiser. Minsook wouldn’t know and neither would Sarang.

“Alright, alright.” She held up her hands, “I’m going.” She turned and then stopped. Minsook was walking up the path and beside him, clinging to his arm was Sarang and she was laughing. They both were. They looked like a real couple.

Aerin whipped around, she looked left and right, she needed to hide. Or…or…

Jungkook walked up to her and wrapped his jacket around her body and held her in the safety of his big puffy jacket. Her face was completely hidden. She stood still and heard Sarang and Minsook pass by. She waited until she heard the doors to the apartment complex close and then waited for Jungkook to let her go.

Eventually, she cleared and stepped back, “I thought I told you not to get involved.” She sounded cold and annoyed with him, “What if we were recognised?”

“Then noona shouldn’t have come here. What if there were photographers around? They might be waiting for something like this to happen.” Jungkook was exasperated, “Why do you keep doing this? Don’t give him that power…”

Aerin flared up, “Don’t be affronted on my account. Come back and talk to me when the person you loved first, for all of your adult life, the person you wanted marry, your crush, your everything tells you he doesn’t want you anymore…” she was so broken she couldn’t even cry anymore. “You have no idea…” she whispered.

Jungkook grabbed her hand and pulled her to the visitor’s parking lot. “Where’s noona’s car?” Aerin didn’t reply, “Fine.” He opened his car.

“It’s over there.” Aerin pulled free, she stared at him, “I’ll go home now.”

“I’ll drive behind you.”

“You’re acting like I’m some sort of crazy woman who needs to be watched.” She argued.

“Just get in the car noona. I’ll follow you.” He repeated and she did what he said because she got the feeling, he’d just keep repeating it. When they arrived at her house, he got out.

“I’m going inside.” She was calmer after the drive and listening to music on full blast.  

Jungkook stared down at her. She seemed back to her in control self. But he knew she was hurting. “Let me stay.”

Aerin heard him, she was going to say no, “Alright.” She locked the car and turned to the house. He followed her inside. “I’m going to get ready for bed. It’s late and…” the words died in as he embraced her from behind. Aerin was telling herself to be strong, to just let it pass. Get to the bedroom and then she could cry and scream if she wanted to. She could have a good cry in the shower and no one would know that she was affected. That Minsook had hurt her, made a fool of her in front of their friends and her family, and his. How did she face his mother? They used to call her the perfect daughter-in-law and she loved it.

Aerin clenched her hands at her side, waiting for him to let go. He thought he was helping but it just made her feel like a loser. When he did let go she told him to use the guest bathroom and that she’d leave something more comfortable for him to wear on the bed.

Jungkook showered really quickly. He wanted to make sure she was okay. He wanted to be waiting for her when she got out of the bathroom so she couldn’t lock the door on him or chase him away or pretend that he wasn’t there. Her continuous rejection and discarding of his feelings had started to affect him. He so desperately wanted to mean something to her. The way she wanted to mean something to Lee Minsook.

He sat on her bed, he felt the expensive bedspread and listened to her crying on the other side of the door. He didn’t move even though he wanted to break down the door and get to her and tell her that who the was Lee Minsook when she was Song Aerin.

The door unlocked, he straightened – should he stand? Aerin came out, she was dressed in comfortable and conservative pyjamas. She hurried to her side of the bed and got under the covers. “Pali.” She ordered and he obeyed and slid backwards on the bed and under the covers. Aerin switched off the lights and then moved closer. “Hold me.”

Jungkook pulled her against him. His heart was pounding into her back. He wrapped an arm around her waist. His fingers rested on the waistb

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter