Under The Mistletoe

Begin Again

A/N: Everyone's frustration to Chaennie's useless lesbianism is very amusing to me lol.

--------------------------

The week passes with no other major events.

 

Jennie continues to help the Gwons, spending time with Chaeyoung…

 

“Hello?”

 

“Make me an offer.”

 

“I… what?”

 

It was way too early for this, she had just woken up, she hadn’t had her coffee yet and she was supposed to have a full business conversation right now?

 

“We are ready to sell, make me an offer.”

 

Lee Hyori’s voice was all business, meaning she’s in full on realtor mode, which means Jennie needed to play hardball.

 

“I’ll give it to you straight, Hyori.” She said, her realtor mode also coming out despite the early wake up call. “I’m willing to pay 200 thousand, but not more.”

 

“Are you kidding me? It’s worth at least 500 thousand. If not more. I’ve got a dozen people who are dying to swoop in on the deal.”

 

Jennie smirks. A dozen? Yeah right, she knows for a fact that Chaeyoung is the only one interested in that house. Besides, 500 thousand is way out of Chaeyoung’s budget, not to mention almost twice the property’s worth.

 

She will not let Hyori cheat Chaeyoung out of 200 thousand.

 

“We’re friends right, Hyori?”

 

“Um...yes?”

 

“Well then. Friends don’t lie to their friends, do they?

 

“I’m not…”

 

“I know for a fact that Chaeyoung and I are the only ones interested in that cabin.”

 

“And I told you, you’re not. In fact, I showed the cabin to at least a dozen people before you and Chaeyoung even viewed it.”

 

Jennie raised an eyebrow. “Really? Then explain how Chaeyoung and my footsteps were the only ones I saw even though it hasn’t snowed in weeks.”

There’s a long silence on the end of the line as Hyori digests this information.

 

The brunette smirks. ‘Got ya’

 

“Okay, Jennie. You’re right. I need to close this deal, and I need to close it ASAP to hit my bottom line.”

 

“I’d love to help you hit it, but you’re going to have to accept 250.”

 

“250? Are you trying to bankrupt me??”

 

“Okay. 260.”

 

There was a long silence on the line until Hyori sighs in defeat.

 

“Deal. You drive a hard bargain. I’ll have the paperwork ready for you ASAP.”

 

“Okay, goodby…” The brunette frowned. “She hung up, how rude.”

 

-------------------------

 

Later that day, Jennie, feeling proud of herself for getting Chaeyoung a discount after just waking up, meets Jisoo for a little shipping in downtown Shadow Creek. With both deals so near to being finalized, she feels satisfied with a job well done.

 

Her sister in law offered to pick her up a new ornament as thanks for the work she’s done to get her bakery.

 

“I wish you’d let me do more than buy you a Christmas ornament.” Jisoo said as they walked through the main avenue. “I really can’t thank you enough for all your help.”

 

“Don’t give it a second thought. Honestly, I’m just excited to see your dreams coming true.”

 

They continue to walk and step into the toy store, the same one where Jennie bought Evie’s present. Jisoo smiles slyly, and she gently nudges the other brunette with her elbow.

 

“So I hear you and Chaeyoung have been spending a lot of time together.”

 

“We’ve always been close. It’s nice to catch up.”

 

Jisoo nods. “Mom thinks you two make a cute couple.”

 

“Um, don’t you think it would be weird for us to be a couple?” Jennie asked, feeling somewhat surprised that her mother in law feels that way about Jennie and her daughter’s best friend. “We’ve been friends for so long?”

 

“Isn’t that a great way to start a relationship?” Jisoo walked through the aisles, looking for something to buy. “You know and trust each other.”

 

“I guess…”

 

Jisoo reaches out to give her hand a squeeze. “You two seem happy when you’re with each other. I think you should give her a chance.”

 

Jennie sighs and shakes her head. “I don’t know…”

 

Jisoo stops walking and turns to her friend. “What’s the problem? It’s so obvious you two are into each other.”

 

The brunette looks at her feet briefly and hesitates as she considers what to tell her. She never told Jisoo about Byeol’s affair, she wondered if that even mattered now?

 

Jisoo stares at her, waiting for a reply.

 

“It’s hard for me to be sure I can trust her.”

 

Jisoo frowns. “What? Why?” She questioned. “Hasn’t Chaeyoung always been there for you?”

 

The brunette takes a deep breath to steady herself before she tells her the truth. “Byeol was cheating on me.”

 

Jisoo looks at her in disbelief. “What? When?”

 

“A few days before the accident happened.”

 

“Why didn’t you tell me?”

 

Jennie shrugs and turns back to the aisles. “I didn’t want to ruin your memories of her.”

 

Jisoo says nothing but pulls her into a tight sisterly hug. “I wish you’d told me.” She tells her, and the brunette could hear her honesty. “She’s my sister, but you’ve always been like a sister to me as well. I hate that you had to go through that alone.”

 

“Thanks, Chu.”

 

“If you ever need to talk, I’m here.”

 

The older woman releases her from the hug, and the two share a smile.

 

“I just can’t be sure if Chaeyoung knew about it or not.”

 

“Well you have two choices. Either you ask her, or you just trust that she didn’t know.” Jisoo tells her. “I think you should give her a chance. You owe it to yourself.”

 

Jennie felt thankful for having the brunette in her life, the older woman had always been like a sister to her, even before she started dating her sister. Jisoo was always good when it came to listening and giving advice. Maybe this is what she needs, someone to talk to about it, maybe this way her thoughts and feelings can get in order.

 

“Besides, I can’t imagine her keeping that from you.” Jisoo continued.

 

“I’ll think about it.”

 

“Will you?”

 

“I promise.”

 

Nothing more is said as they continue to walk the aisles until they pass a rack of beautiful glass ornaments, each hand-crafted by a local artist.

 

They come across one which was in the shape of a wolf howling, the brunette runs her fingers along the smooth glass. Something about it reminds her of Chaeyoung.

 

“These are beautiful.”

 

“They are!” Jisoo said, grabbing a random one and looking closely at it. “You’ve always had such a good taste. In ornaments, in handsome sheriffs…” She trailed off.

 

The brunette chuckled. “Wow. That was about as subtle as Hyori’s make up.”

 

The sounds of heels against tile startles the two of them from their conversation.

 

“Did I hear my name?”

 

Jennie sighs in relief, she must’ve missed her comment, because the older woman was grinning from ear to ear.

 

“Hyori!” Jennie greets. “What a surprise.”

 

“I like to be a little unpredictable. It keeps my opponents guessing.”

 

Jennie pointed at herself. “I’m your opponent?”

 

“For now! At least” The woman smiles. “Speaking of…” She then pulls a stack of papers from her oversized purse and hands them to her. “Now I don’t have to fax them to you, Just make sure the sheriff gets her signature on it soon, before the owners change their mind.”

 

Jennie takes them as best as she could and nods. “I’ll get it for you tonight. Thanks Hyori.”

 

The woman beams at her and gives her shoulder a squeeze. Jennie tried not to wince as her fake nails dug in.

 

“Excellent! You two girls have a great day!”

 

She bustles off, leaving her alone with a grinning Jisoo.

 

“Chaeyoung is moving?”

 

Crap Jennie thought. This was supposed to be a surprise.

 

“It was supposed to be a surprise.” Jennie tells her reluctantly. “Make sure Evie doesn’t find out.”

 

“My lips are sealed.” Jisoo says, doing a motion of zipping up her lips. “Where is she moving?”

 

“You know that big log house outside of town?” Jennie pulls out the files and shows her the picture.

 

The brunette gasps. “It’s beautiful! Not to mention big enough for a family.”

 

“Chu…”

 

“Aw, come on, Jen. Can’t you imagine living in that big beautiful house with her?”

 

The brunette bites her lip and subtly nods. “I’ve thought about it.” She admits. “She did have me give her advice about decorating, so it was hard not to.”

 

“Aha!” Jisoo exclaimed. “Since when does she need help decorating?” She said, as everybody knew that if the blonde woman wasn’t a sheriff she could make a living as an interior designer. “She wants a life with you.”

 

“Um, no.” Jennei denied, though it was a bit weak. “That feels like a bit of a leap from helping her pick out cupboards.” She refused to fall deeper into that idea. She sighs as she looks back at the shelf of glass ornaments. “it’s hard to choose when they’re all so beautiful.”

 

“Way to change the subject, Jenduk.” Jisoo muttered, loud enough for the brunette to hear. “If you wanted to pick one out for Chae or Evie, I won’t mind. You can say it’s a present from you.”

 

Jennie thinks about it, and decides to go with the glass wolf she saw earlier. Loyal, wild, great with their family… a wolf was just right for Chaeyoung.

 

“I think it would be nice to help her build a new collection.” She said, taking the ornament.

 

“A fresh start for her tree as well.”

 

“Exactly.”

 

Not another word is said while Jisoo pays for the ornaments and hugs her goodbye outside of the store.

 

“Off to see your woman?” The brunette teased.

 

“Off to get signatures. She’s not my woman.”

 

“Yet you mean.”

 

----------------------------------------------

 

Jennie drives to Chaeyoung’s house, and it’s not until she gets there that she realizes she forgot to text her. She breathes deeply hoping this visit would not take her by surprise. She waits in her car for a bit until she finally walks to the front door all while thinking about her conversation with Jisoo.

 

Does Chaeyoung want to have a life with her? Was she not the only one having these feelings? Did… did Chaeyoung settle with Suzy because Jennie chose someone else?

 

Was there even a chance for them both?

 

She snaps out of her thoughts when the door swings open, and she sees Evie’s smiling face gazing up at her.

 

“Hey there!” Jennie greets.

 

Evie turns around and shouts back into the house. “Mommy! Jennie’s here!”

 

Evie steps aside so Jennie can step into the house, kicking the snow from her boots as she does. Soon enough Chaeyoung joins them in the living room, and she smiles warmly when she sees you.

 

“This is a surprise.”

 

“At least I didn’t show up unannounced and empty-handed.” Jennie says. “This is for you.” She produces the ornament from its box, and Chaeyoung smiles from ear to ear.

 

“How did you know I like wolves?”

 

Jennie shrugs. “I just thought it suited you.”

 

The taller girl takes the ornament, a bemused smile on her face as she cups it in her hands.

 

“Thank you.”

 

“Sorry I didn’t call. I thought I’d drop by on my way home.”

 

Chaeyoung waived her off. “You’re always welcome here. Do you want something to drink?”

 

“You always made a great cup of tea. I’ve missed that.”

 

“I can do that. Why don’t we go to the kitchen.”

 

Evie smiles up at her mother. “Does this mean I don’t have to finish my homework?”

 

Chaeyoung chuckles and boops her nose. “It means you can finish it in your room.”

 

“But I want to see Jennie!” The small brunette complains.

 

Jennie crouches next to the dinner chair where Evie was sitting so she could be at her level as she spoke. “Why don’t I tell you a bedtime story if you finish it before bed? How does that sound”

 

Evie gasps in delight and nods. “What kind of story?”

 

“It’s about a loving Queen. She protects her kingdom and takes wonderful care of her princess.” Jennie says, and she can see Chaeyoung smiling out of the corner of her eye.

 

The small girl grabs her homework before running upstairs to her room.

 

“You’re so good with her.”

 

“She’s a great kid.”

 

“Do you mind if I finish up the dishes? I hate leaving them.”

 

Right, for someone so keen on collecting things and artworks she was always so particular about keeping a clean house.

 

“I don’t mind at all.” She tells her. “In fact, I’ll help.”

 

“You don’t have to.”

 

“I want to.”

 

Jennie joins her by the sink, trading places so she can dry and put away the dishes while Jennie washes.

 

“You could never leave a mess, no matter how small.”

 

Chaeyoung shrugged. “I just like to keep things organized.”

 

The brunette’s lips thin as she thinks about the home Chaeyoung grew up in and she’s not surprised she can’t stand clutter. Her parents were such hoarders.

 

“You’re a good mom.” She said, knowing that deep down Chaeyoung was worried of her motherhood capabilities due to the poor parenting she experienced. “You know that, don’t you?”

 

Chaeyoung laughs and glances at her. “Because I clean?”

 

Jennie shakes her head. “Rosie, I know about your parents. We all did.”

 

The smile fades from her face as she tucks away a glass in the cupboard. The taller girl tried to hide it from everyone, but they all could tell she was having some trouble at home.

 

The blonde sighs. “I should have expected that. It’s a small town. Why didn’t you say anything?”

 

“We were your friends.” Jennie answered. “You were obviously trying to hide what your home life was like.” She took a deep breath as she turned off the water. “I didn’t bring it up because...I don’t know maybe I should’ve said something but I guess I wanted you to come to me about it in your own time.”

 

Chaeyoung gives a wry smile and shakes her head. “I probably wouldn’t have reacted well if you brought it up. Besides, you were always a good friend to me. It made things easier, even if you didn’t know all the details.”

 

“I’m glad.”

 

Nothing else about the subject is mentioned but rather the subject is changed to how each of their days went as the two finish the dishes and fix your drinks before going to the living room.

 

Chaeyoung sits down next to Jennie on the couch with a contentended sigh.

 

“I’m glad you feel comfortable coming here. I like seeing you.”

 

Jennie smiles. “I like seeing you too. I also have news!” She said sitting up straight, excited to tell the taller girl the news.

 

“Oh?”

 

Jennie takes the papers from her bag and shows her. “You got the house!” She tells her with a happy smile. “I just need signatures.”

 

Chaeyoung looks at her, surprised. “Really?” She asked, in disbelief. “I thought they’d try to haggle over my offer.”

 

“Nope! I got us a great deal.”

 

Chaeyoung keeps smiling as she gives Jennie a quick side hug. “You’re a miracle worker, Jennie.”

“Well, I’m the God Empress of the realtors.” She joked, flipping her hair in an exaggerated manner. “Lee Hyori trembles before me.”

 

Chaeyoung laughs for a second before looking down at the papers, looking at them in disbelief.

 

“I can’t believe this is happening.”

 

“Start believing.” Jennie said and shoved a pen onto Chaeyoung’s hands. “And sign those papers!”

 

Chaeyoung smiles widely. “This is so fantastic! I could kiss you!”

 

The two of them grin at each other, but Jennie’s smile fades as she gazes into the blonde’s eyes.

 

“Rosie…”

 

“I didn’t mean…”

 

Their words stumble in each other, both speaking out at the same time.

 

“It wouldn’t be right…”

 

“It’s not that I don’t want to…”

 

“We shouldn’t”

 

Chaeyoung sighs and looks at her lap briefly. “Why are we making it so complicated?” She asked, then cups Jennie’s face in her hands…

 

A single, electrifying instant passes between them as Jennie realizes what’s about to happen. Then Chaeyoung kisses her, her lips warm and soft against the brunette’s. Despite all her doubts, all her fears… it feels right.

 

As the shock passes, Jennie melts into the kiss and wraps her arms around the taller girl who eagerly draws her close, taking a hold of her waist as she closes the distance between them even more.

 

Nothing with Byeol was ever this passionate. This only made Jennie question her choices even more. Did she settle for the safe choice instead of pursuing true romance?

 

The brunette pushes that thought away and loses herself in the moment as the blonde’s hands wander her hips and thighs as the shorter girl tangles her fingers in her hair.

 

Are they going too far? Should they stop? Jennie is leaving anyways, isn’t she?

 

The sheriff then leaves a trail of kisses down her jaw and neck, making it harder and harder to think straight.

 

“Rosie…”

 

“Hm?”

 

Jennie shivers as her lips brush against and try to focus on what needs to be said.

 

“We should stop this.”

 

Chaeyoung pulls away. “Why?” She asked looking at her adoringly with her piercing eyes.

 

Jennie’s heart is heavy, but the thought of hurting her outweighs her longing.

 

“I’m leaving, remember? This can’t last.”

 

“Then don’t leave.” The girl says, gazing at her softly with her eyes. “Stay.”