Naughty or Nice

Begin Again

“It’s cold as .” Jennie mumbled.

 

She was standing outside of the old apothecary building waiting for Jisoo to arrive. The brunette adjusts her scarf tighter around her neck and then places her hands inside of her coat pockets while she shifts in place trying to keep her circulation going, and praying for the older woman to arrive so they can go inside and away from the cold wind and snow.

 

It’s been her dream to open her own bakery for years, so she was more than happy to help her find a storefront. She was a hard worker and too selfless for her own good, the older brunette deserved to have something of her own, somewhere where she could do what she loved.

 

Jennie sighs as she looks up to the sky watching as the snow falls softly around her. It was a new day, but her thoughts are still on Chaeyoung and the way her feelings towards the taller woman might be changing. It felt strange to her, she hasn’t thought about a life with Chaeyoung since they were teenagers.

 

Coming back here and having those conversations about the past with Chaeyoung just makes the brunette wonder if these feelings have always been here, or if things are finally just falling into place. She thinks back to the constant friend she was during her marriage as the passion between her and Byeol ebbed away, and how she supported her after the funeral.

 

Seeing her now just drives home what a strong, kind woman she has grown into, but the thing is that, that has always been there. Deep down Jennie thinks she has always felt this way for Chaeyoung. Thinking back to it, yes she would never have betrayed Byeol like she betrayed her, but perhaps there was a spark missing in their marriage.

 

Truth is Jennie feels a connection to Chaeyoung that she’s not sure she ever had with Byeol.

 

Did she settle?

 

Is that why Byeol went looking somewhere else?

 

The brunette shakes her head, pushing that thought away before it can hurt too deeply. And then she gets angry because Byeol could’ve been honest with her. They both could’ve been happy, even if it meant ending their marriage and looking for real love.

 

She sighs once again and leans against the door.

 

“The chance for something was always there.” She tells herself. “Does Chaeyoung feel the same way? And if she does… would it matter?”

 

She thinks of the apartment and city life she’d have to leave behind, and the thought of truly returning to Shadow Creek feels overwhelming.

 

It doesn’t matter, she concludes. It shouldn’t matter, if she’s not staying.

 

She notices a small brunette waving at her from down the street, it was Jisoo. And so Jennie pushes all thoughts of Chaeyoung to the back of her mind as she pushes herself away from the door and waves back at the girl.

 

Jisoo was giddy with excitement, and Jennie tries to give her her full attention. This was Jisoo’s day. She had been working toward this for so long.

 

“Jennie, Hi!” The brunette greets her. “Do you have the key?”

 

“Yup!”

 

Jisoo smiles. “I can’t believe this is finally happening.”

 

“Well it is. And we are all so proud of you!” Jennie tells her as she unlocks the door to the old apothecary shop and ushers her inside. The air was a little dusty, and a fine layer of dirt seemed to cover the floors. Though that is to be expected for an old shop and even if it's been empty for some time, the space is beautiful.

 

“So what do you think?” Jennie asks, standing in the middle of the store with her arms extended at her sides.

 

“I love the vintage feeling it has!” Jisoo answers, looking at the details. It certainly gave the vibe of one of those old rustic bakeries you could see on period movies. “What do you think, realtor?”

 

“I think it’s great! And it suits your brand.’ Jennie says. “I’m surprised no one else has snapped it up.”

 

Jisoo shrugs. “We don’t get a lot of new businesses in Shadow Creek. It can be hard for them to get their footing in a small town. But we are going to fill out orders online as well, which should help! I hope.”

 

Jennie feels impressed by how thorough she’s been. “Seems like you have thought of everything.”

 

Moments later, the door swings open and Lee Hyori appears in a cloud of rose-scented perfume. Her black hair styled in a high ponytail, her heel clicking as she strides toward them.

 

“I knew when a flurry of calls came in for showings that it must be our very own Jennie Kim back in town.” The woman says. “You city agents never take a break, do you!”

 

“It’s been a long time.” Jennie says after chuckling awkwardly.

 

“It has been. What are you doing back in town?”

 

Wow straight to business huh? Jennie thinks. “I’m visiting the Gwons for Christmas. i thought I’d try to help out Jisoo while I’m here.”

 

The two look at each awkwardly/ Hyori had a very intimidating aura and over all look and Jennie wasn’t too far behind. Jisoo’s eyes went back and forth between the two realtors wondering who would win the staring contest.

 

“Um…” Jisoo cleared . “I’m-- going to walk--around… yes around, you know look at the aaall the details.” She said and then hurriedly walked to the back room.

 

The two watch Jisoo run away and Hyori smirks. “Well, I don’t mind a little competition.”

 

“I’m actually only here for the holidays. I’ll be heading back after New Years.”

 

“Really? That’s too bad.” She said, and something in her voice told Jennie she did not mean it. “I do have some good news for our dear Sheriff Park.” She says, getting the small brunette’s full attention. “How does 10 o’clock tomorrow sound for a look at that house?”

 

Jennie can’t stop the smile that spreads across her face as she’s told how soon Chaeyoung can see the listing. Maybe she can get Evie her christmas surprise after all.

 

“It sounds great!”

 

“You know, that woman is a prize waiting to be claimed.” Hyori sighs theatrically and eyes her like an old owl scouting its prey.

 

Jennie once again chuckled awkwardly. “Seems like half the female population of Shadow Creek is hoping to find her underneath their christmas tree.”

 

“Mhm. Indeed.” The woman says. “Oh well, I’ll be waiting for that offer, then. See you!” She gives a slow, exaggerated wink and bustles toward the front door. She’s gone as quickly as she appeared.

 

Jennie breathes a sigh of relief as Jisoo peeks out from the kitchen.

 

“You can come out, the coast is clear!”

 

Jisoo whistles. “Oh man that woman is scary. So...um, did I hear her mention Chae?”

 

Jennie grimaces and nods, trying to think of half-truth that won’t ruin her surprise. “She saw us around town together and thinks we might be dating.”

“Well…”

 

“What?” Jennie asked after seeing the look on the other girl's face.

 

“I kind of wish you were. You both deserve to be happy, and she’s become like a sister to me.”

 

“Oh… so, you guys got really close huh?

 

“You could say that.”

 

“Um, does she...really doesn’t date?”

 

Jisoo walks behind the counter to inspect the cabinets as she answered. “No, no that I know of. I think she’s focused on her work and on Evie.” She turns to look at Jennie from across the store. “Besides, I think we all know she only ever had eyes for one girl.”

 

The brunette is surprised to feel a twinge of jealousy at Jisoo’s words. “You think she’s not over Suzy?”

 

Jisoo snorts. “Honey, I’m talking about you.”

 

“Wh--what?”

 

“All the girls could tell she was pining after you in highschool, and you saw how happy she was to see you again. You know those two girls she was with back then?” She walked around the counter and towards the brunette. “The ones who had bleached-blonde hair? I mean if you ask me she dated them because she didn’t want to be with someone who reminded her of her best friend's girlfriend.”

 

The conflicting emotions in Jennie come back. Because that sparked a little hope within her, that maybe they hadn’t missed their chance. But then she remembers that she’s not staying, she shouldn’t be hoping for this.

 

“Well, even that was the case, that was a long time ago.” She says, pushing her feeling back down.

 

“If there’s a chance for something with Chae, you might want to consider it. I can’t think of a better woman for you… or for her.” And with that the woman walks out of the store leaving Jennie mulling over her words.

 

Her phone rings and she can’t help the tiny small spreading across her face at the caller.

 

“Hey! I was just about to call you.”

 

“Oh, great minds think alike then.”

 

Jennie chuckled. “I guess so. So what do you need?”

“Nothing, I just called to see how you are doing.”

 

“Just finished showing Jisoo the shop.” She said trying to ignore the butterflies in her stomach.

 

“Did she like it?”

 

“Yeah! She loved it!”

 

“Of course she did, you got it for her.”

 

“Okay sweet talker.”

 

“So, what do you need?”

 

“I have great news! We can go look at the house in the morning. How does 10 am sound?”

 

“That sounds perfect. It’s a date.”

 

Jennie’s face warms with a blush at the words. She pauses thinking of what to answer, should she agree, should she say it's not? But what if she wants to be? Did Chae mean it like that?

 

“A date it is!” She said with a smile. “See you then!”

 

“Take care!.”

 

------------------------------

 

Tomorrow comes all too quickly, and Jennie tries not to fret as she prepares to see Chaeyoung. All while she keeps wondering if this really was a date. It shouldn’t be, right?

 

Either way she supposes that doesn’t mean she can’t look put together and so she sifts through her closet for something that strikes the right balance between “this is not a date” and “this might be a date.” Ultimately she goes for something casual but comfortable and most of all warm.

 

Soon after having some coffee and a donut, she knows she should probably eat better but she’s too lazy to cook, she gets to her car and drives towards the old cabin house. The drive out to the house is quiet and clear as she navigates through the snow country road focusing on the job ahead.

 

Truth is she wanted this house to be her gift for Chaeyoung and Evie to thank them for how welcome they’ve made her feel. They both deserve a fresh start, even if Chaeyoung knew about Byeol’s affair, after everything the taller girl has done for Jennie she’d try to forgive her, Jennie owns her that.

 

The thought of Chaeyoung helping Byeol keep secrets from her is painful, but she figures it would have been hard on her. She was her friend too and that would have put her in the middle of their mess. She knows the only way to know for sure is to ask Chaeyoung about it, but at least she thinks she could move past it.

 

Her thoughts continue coming and going as soft music plays on the radio. When the house comes into view she parks her car in the driveway and get out to look at the house.

 

There’s a rustic beauty to the cabin, and the mountains beyond make it look picture-perfect. The old ponderosa pines that surround it tower overhead, carefully preserved by the previous owners. The house must’ve been built in a natural clearing. It was like a postcard.

 

She can almost imagine Chaeyoung standing on the wide front porch, watching dutifully as Evie builds a snowman, no… that’s not right. Evie loves to flop into the snow and make an entire family of snow angels so Chaeyoung would be so eager to make her smile she’d flop herself down next to her to help her daughter.

 

It’ll suit them perfectly.

 

There had always been an edge to Chaeyoung when she was younger. Byeol was always so gentle, but Chaeyoung had a wild streak. Byeol’s brother Suho was the same as his sister, but after the accident Suho ran away, and Chaeyoung had to step up to the plate to take care of the Gowns all while dealing with her own things.

 

Jennie closes her eyes almost angry at herself. Chaeyoung did all the hard work. She kept Jennie from falling apart, she helped the Gwons through the worst days of their lives. And what did Jennie do in exchange? She ran away without a single goodbye.

 

Her thoughts are pushed away when she hears the crunch of tires on the gravel and snow as Chaeyoung’s truck pulls into the driveway next to Jennie’s car.

 

Unlike with her other clients, the smile on Jennie’s face is completely natural. “Chaeyoung!”

 

“Hey!”

 

“I’m glad you could make it.”

 

Chaeyoung smiles back and looks at Jennie’s outfit. “You look comfy.”

 

“Thanks.”

 

Chaeyoung grins, rubbing her arms to ward off the cold. Jennie can’t help but smile as the taller girl tried to act stoic while the two of them stood in the bitter chill.

 

“Get over here.” Jennie said, opening her arms and gather her into a tight embrace.

 

“Uh…”

 

“You look cold.”

 

Chaeyoung sighs contently as she returns the hig, wrapping her strong arms around the brunette. “I should’ve worn a sweater.”

 

“You should’ve.”

 

They pull away and Jennie catches herself staring at her windblown hair as it’s tousled by the winder breeze. Now that she was standing in front of the house and the snow-peaked mountains, she can’t deny what a handsome sight she makes.

 

“So… how’s Evie? I can’t believe how much she’s grown.”

 

“Some days I can’t either.” The blonde says, smiling at the thought of her daughter. “She 's great. The kids are all getting ready for the big Christmas pageant.”

 

“I’m sure it’ll be great.”

 

Chaeyoung sighs. “I’m just worried about trying to help her with her hair. She wants to look her best. I mean I only know how to do my hair two ways.”

 

The two of them walk toward the front door through a heavy blanket of snow.

 

“You know, there’s not even one set of footsteps here. I don’t think there’s been many showings. It’s strange, Hyori made it sound like there was more interest. Maybe I can call her bluff and get you a better deal.”

 

“What would I do without you?”

 

The two of them kick the snow from their boots as Jennie punches in the code on the lock box.

 

“Ready?”

 

“Lead the way?”

 

They go inside and look around at the impressive interior. The wooden floors are a little dusty, but the broad wooden planks look solid and well cared for. They electricity is off, but the tall windows provide plenty of light to take in the main room’s high, peaked ceilings and stone fireplace.

 

“Oh, wow.”

 

“This place is wonderful, Rosie. Evie is going to love it!”

 

“I hope so.” Chaeyoung said looking around the interior. “This house is for her, after all.”

 

They then walk to the kitchen. It’s a little dated but very spacious, with plenty of counter space and rows of wooden cabinets.

 

“You might want to do a little renovating, but there’s a lot of potential.”

 

“I think I might need help decorating.”

 

“Well…” Jennie starts looking at the kitchen, the windows, the counters…”I think you could keep it light and airy while still having a classic, rustic kitchen.” She said, already imagining what it would look like. “You could do vintage. White enamel cookware, a farmhouse singk, that kind of thing.”

 

Chaeyoung nods. “Yeah I can see that, what about the counters.”

 

Jennie tilts her head. “I think either a butcher board or a pale marble would look nice. You could keep them the color they are or whitewash them.” She said her hand running through the counter. “And you’ll definitely need an old coffee maker, you know the metal one where you pour the grounds into the bottom chamber and let it simmer.”

 

She nods and walks over to where Jennie’s standing. Her arm brushes against the brunette’s as she studies the cabinets.

 

“I like the sound of that. I’m sure you’ll be able to find me a pile of catalogues. If I remember correctly, internet shopping is your specialty.”

 

“I’m sure I can find you a few.”

 

The blonde nods and slings her arm over her shoulder to squeeze Jennie in a quick embrace.

 

“It sounds like I have a plan. Let’s take a look at the other rooms.”

 

Jennie walks her to the master bedroom upstairs. The ceiling of the bedroom are vaulted, and tall windows offer a stunning view of the mountains.

 

“Oh wow, what a view!”

 

“Right! You’ll wake and look at the mountains first thing in the morning.”

 

She tries not to imagine Chaeyoung climbing out of bed in the morning, but the thoughts come all the same. It’s so easy to picture her in her pajamas, stretching her toned body in front of the perfect view.

 

Jennie shakes her head. She needed to stop thinking about her that way. They are friends, and that’s it. Even as she thinks those words, she knows they don’t feel quite right. Everything felt so different now. Not bad, just… different.

 

“Jen?”

“Oh! Uh… sure!”

 

Chaeyoung runs a hand through her hair as she eyes her with concern. “I was asking what you thought of the room.”

 

Jennie glances at her and smiles as her gaze meets her vivid eyes.

 

“Oh. Uh, well.” SHe clears . “There isn’t much you’d have to change, but you could turn that fireplace into one that runs on gas or electricity.”

 

Chaeyoung grimaces and lets her hand drop. “I prefer wood burning.”

 

“But it’s not safe.” Jenni frowns. “At least in a bedroom. Besides, if it were...I mean… if you had a…” Jennie stumbles over her words and she can feel her face heat as she raises her brows. “Um, if you ever do plan on ever sharing the room with a woman, she might like the convenience.” She said looking away. “It’s easier to flip a switch than start a proper fire.”

 

Chaeyoung tries to hide her grin as she nods slowly and hums to herself. “Fair enough. What would you want?”

 

“Me?”

 

The question catches her off guard. Though it’s easier that she’d like to admit to imagine herself living here with Chaeyoung and Evie.

 

“Personally, I’d want an electric fireplace.” She answers. “They may not be the most aesthetically pleasing, but they’re safe and more environmentally friendly.”

 

“Alright, I’ll consider it, but something about those fake fires feels so wrong.”

 

“We can’t all be stubborn mountain women like you. Besides, your future wife will thank me.”

 

Chaeyoung sighs. “There’s no one, Jennie.”

 

To Jennie, It hurts to think of her being lonely in this big, beautiful house. In her opinion this house deserves a family and so does Chaeyoung.

 

The taller girl steps closer. Jennie’s heart thumps wildly as her vivid eyes stare into her own.She can’t move. She can’t breathe. Time freezes as her brain scrambles for something to break the tension. The look in the taller girl’s eye is so intense.

 

“Chae…” Jennie says softly looking up into her eyes. “I think love could be closer than you think.”

 

Now Jennie doesn’t know why she keeps dropping hints. She still needs to leave after the holidays, doesn’t she?

 

Chaeyoung studies her face intently.

 

“You think so?”

 

“I do.”

 

Chaeyoung cracks a smile and nods slowly, as if she knows something Jennie doesn’t.

 

“I’ll keep that in mind.”

 

“Good.”

 

Chaeyoung moves a little closer. It feels like they are breathing the same air, sharing the same budding heat.

 

“You seem to care an awful lot about my happiness.”

 

“Of course I do. You’re... my friend.”

 

The blonde hums breaking their staring contest and takes a step back, Jennie’s heart gives a little squeeze of disappointment.

 

“And what about you?” The blonde asks, breaking Jennie’s list of ‘Should I’ve said something different’ thoughts.

 

“Me?”

 

“Are you… seeing anyone?”

 

Chaeyoung asks the question casually, but Jennie can feel that there’s a deeper point to it.

 

Jennie wasn’t sure why, but she had a feeling there was a lot hanging on her answer, almost as if the blonde wanted to know if she was available.

 

Was… was Chaeyoung dropping hints too?