Santa Is Coming To Town

Begin Again

“Pleeeaseee…”

 

“No.”

 

“But-- But…”

 

“No. I’m not doing it.”

 

So what exactly is Chaeyoung not doing? Well the town mayor had assigned one of Chaeyoung’s officers with the task of asking her to dress up as Santa for the annual christmas celebration, it was only luck that Jennie ran into them while she completed her errands around town.

 

Jennie looks at the taller girl who was shaking her head and violently waving her hands, she was set on not doing it despite how much Jennie tried to convince her otherwise, luckily the brunette still had one last trick under her sleeve, an extra push if you will.

 

“Come on! It’ll be fun. Think about how much fun this would be for Evie.”

 

Chaeyoung gasped. “You did not just bring my kid into this. That’s a low blow, Jennie Kim.”

 

Jennie smiled innocently.

 

The sheriff looks to the other side of the street with a huff as she thinks about it. Jennie was right this would be very fun to Evie as Christmas is her favorite time of year, she can already see the cute full cheeked smile her daughter would throw her way once she saw her mom in the Santa outfit…

 

Damn it.

 

She turns to look at Jennie with a sigh.

 

“I’ll help?” The brunette offers.

 

“Really?”

 

“Yeah! I’ve been trying to get in the spirit. Maybe I could pass out candy.”

 

“Oh! We have a Mrs. Claus costume!” The officer says.

 

And well that is not what Jennie meant when she said she was going to help.

 

“Um… I don’t think-- Maybe I can be like-- an elf? Santa’s little helper right?” Jennie offered with a slight wince.

 

Chaeyoung chuckled. “Either way, this might actually be tolerable with you there.” She said, leaning into the brunette and giving her a small, affectionate smile.

 

“So you’ll do it?”

 

“I’m in if you are.”

 

Jennie smiled, happily. “I’m in.”

 

Officer Bhuwakul breathes a long sigh of relief. “Thank goodness. I hate saying no to my aunt.”

 

“Don’t we all.”

 

They all shudder at the mention of the mayor’s wife who just so happens to be Shadow’s Creek’s pushiest realtor.

 

“Even when she isn’t here, Hyori manages to get her way.”

 

With that Office Bhuwakul or Bam Bam as they know him outside of his uniform waves at them both as he trots off down the street, leaving Jennie alone with Chaeyoung.

 

“You sure, you’re all right with this?’ Jennie asked. “I’m not being pushy?”

 

“Not at all.” Chaeyoung reassures her. “I’m glad you gave me that extra push. No matter how unfair it was.” She joked while giving the brunette a pointed look. “But I’m sure you are right, it’ll be a blast.”

 

Both girls say nothing but stare at each other sharing an affectionate look.

 

“Oh, I almost forgot!” Jennie said, holding up the bag on her hand. “I stopped by G-Dragon’s and got Evie something.”

 

“You didn’t have to do that.”

 

“Are you kidding? I love that old toy store and I love that little girl of yours.” Said the brunette, as she produced the teddy bear and ornament from the bag. “I couldn’t help myself.”

 

Chaeyoung takes the gift, looking pleased and flustered. “You should keep the ornament.”

 

“Really?” She asked in surprise. The brunette thought maybe Chaeyoung would like to keep it so she could hang it in her office, something to share between mother and daughter. But instead the taller girl nods and inspects the tiny bear.

 

“I think it would mean even more to her if she knew you have the other piece.”

 

“I could bring it with me whenever I visit to hang on the tree.”

 

The two share a smile as they imagine Christmases to come, now that they are in each other’s lives again.

 

“Thank you. Really.” Chaeyoung said, placing a hand on the brunette’s arm.

 

Jennie could tell there’s more she wanted to say but for some reason she was holding back.

 

“Why are you looking at me like that?”

 

“Like what?”

 

“Like I’m not okay.” She said, thinking that Chaeyoung probably thinks that being on a toy story brought memories from Gabriel. “I enjoy buying presents, Rosie. I’m fine.”

 

“Good. I don’t mean to coddle you or anything.”

 

“I know. I’m just…” Jennie sighed. “I’m just tired of pity.”

 

“Whoa, no. This is not pity. It’s sympathy.”

 

“After a while it all just kind of feels the same. You really don’t need to worry about me.”

 

“Easier than done.”

 

Jennie takes her hand and gives it a reassuring squeeze.

 

“Let’s just focus on having a great christmas.”

 

“I can do that.” Chaeyoung said, nodding. “So what are you doing here?”

 

“Eunae sent me to pick out a tree.” Jennie gestures across the street to a lot of full evergreens.

 

“Say Sheriff Park, would you like to help me choose?”

 

“I wish I could, buuut there’s a little lady I don’t want to keep waiting.”

 

“What? Who?”

 

If you are wondering, no, Jennie is not jealous. She’s just… curious.

 

“I’m actually on my way to pick up Evie from school. Wanna come?”

 

Jennie smiles. “I’d like that.”

 

------------------

 

Once in school, both women walk across the street to wait for Evie to get out, Jennie with one of her hands in her coat while the other holds on to the shopping bags. Chaeyoung walked beside her with her hand on her uniform slacks pockets. It was chilly with light wind blowing with snow covering the streets.

 

“I actually wanted to ask you for a favor.” Chaeyoung said. “It’s important, and I think you’re the only one that can help me.”

 

Jennie felt flattered that Chaeyoung felt comfortable enough with her to ask for help. Since becoming a police officer the taller girl had become so responsible and independent. She can’t imagine what she’d need Jennie’s help for.

 

“Well I wondered if you could help with a Christmas surprise for Evie.”

 

“Oh! Of course.” Jennie said with a nod. “I’ll help! Anything for Evie. What do you need?”

 

“Um, a house.”

 

“Oh?”

 

“Yeah, I-- I think it’s time we’ve had a fresh start, and you’re the best realtor I know. Is that--- Am I asking for too much?”

 

“No, not at all. I’d love to do it!” Jennie tells her. She’d be more than happy to help Chaeyoung and Evie start over again, she’d make sure to find them the best house she could. “Has anything caught your eye so far?”

 

Chaeyoung nods and takes out her phone to show her a beautiful log house backed by the mountains.

 

“It needs some work, but it’s got one hell of a view and a huge backyard for Evie, Four bedrooms, big front porch…”

 

“Are you the realtor or am I?” Jennie .

 

The blonde pulls out a brochure and sheepishly hands it to her. “You are.”

 

“Wow! It’s beautiful, not gonna lie, Rosie, it does look a bit old in the pictures but we’ll know more once we go see it.”

 

“Yeah.” Chaeyoung said, scratching the back of her neck. ”It’s been vacant for almost a year and…”

 

“And?”

 

“Um, you haven’t asked me who the listing agent is.”

 

“No… not Hyori.’

 

Chaeyoung points an accusing finger at her. “You already agreed, and I know you’re a woman of your word.”

 

Jennie rolls her eyes. “You got me.” She said reluctantly. “I guess this could be fun.” She said, as she made a note on her phone to call Hyori later. “There.” She showed her phone to Chaeyoung. “I’ll give her a call when I get back to the Gwon's house. Hopefully we can go see it tomorrow.”

 

“Than…”

 

“I’ll be careful not to let them know that we really want it. They might be getting desperate to sell and knock a little off the price.” Jennie rambled.

 

“Okay, that sounds great.” Said Chaeyoung. “You’re doing so much for us. Buying presents for Evie, facing Hyori.

 

Jennie waived her off. “I’m happy to help, don’t give it a second thought.”

 

“I just mean, thank you. It really is nice to have you back.”

 

“It seems like I’ll be seeing a lot of Hyori soon. I’ve offered to help Jisoo look for a storefront for her bakery.”

 

“I’m glad Jisoo’s finally going through with that! I feel like she’s been planning it for years. I’m not sure my waistline can handle anymore of her test samples. “ She joked.

 

Jennie grins and shakes her head; Chaeyoung’s never looked better.

 

“You were always one of those ruggedly handsome types, but you’re really grown into yourself.” She tells hers, because friends can compliment friends, right?

 

“That sounded so nice, but I feel like you just said I look old.”
 

Jennie laughed. “I mean that you aren’t the bad girl/rebel you were in high school. You’re mature, and responsible, and still in great shape.”

 

Chaeyoung grins at her, and the brunette’s face warms.

 

“is that right?”

 

“I mean… I'm just stating facts…”

 

The taller then leans forward slightly to speak to her in a near whisper. “In that case, you’re really grown into yourself too, Jennie.”

 

Jennie cleared , cheeks still flushed. “Thank you.”

 

Her gaze then drifts past the taller girl and catches sight of a small gaggle of women standing a few yards away.

 

“Is she staring at me?”

 

Chaeyoung glances over her shoulder and shakes her head as one woman begins walking toward the two of them.

 

“Not at you.” She said, almost groaning.

 

“Afternoon, Sheriff. What are you doing here?” A tall blonde, which had the full on soccer mom look, approaches them completely ignoring the brunette.

 

“We are on a date.” Jennie interjects.

 

“What?”

 

The brunette nods and continues in a dead pan. “We intend to be wed on Christmas Day. You are, of course, invited.”

 

The woman looks at her up and down and rolls her eyes, turning back to the blonde, her face changing to a flirty look. “See you later, sheriff.”

 

Once gone, Jennie turns back to the taller girl. “What was that? Your fan club?”

 

Chaeyoung grimaces and rolls her eyes, seeming exhausted by the idea. “Don’t joke.”

 

“I know what you were like before Suzy.” Jennie stated. “Girls have always followed you around.”

 

“And you’ve always teased me for it.” Chaeyoung replies. “If I didn’t know better, I’d think you were jealous.”

 

“Maybe I am.”

 

“I-- what?”

 

“Well, I did drive all this way to spend some time with you.” Jennie continued. “If you get kidnapped by your pack of stalkers, it’ll be such a waste of gas.”

 

“Yup, just like old times.” Chaeyoung shakes her head and glances back at the woman. “A few have tried asking me to dinner, but mostly they just flirt at a distance.”

 

“And?”

 

“Like I’ve said before. Not interested.”

 

Jennie looks at her for a second. “Are you sure?”

“I am. The last thing I want right now is for someone to come in, get Evie’s hopes up and then leave.” Chaeyoung sighs. “It’s simpler this way.”

 

“Chae, that’s no simpler. That sounds lonely.” Jennie studies Chaeyoung’s face for a moment. “But I understand. I know you’re always looking out for what’s best for her.”

 

The blonde nods. “I am. She’s my whole world, Jennie. I try to do right by her, no matter the cost.”

 

“I’m sure she appreciates it.” The brunette smiles.

 

The blonde smiles faintly and nods. “We have each other. That’s enough of a family for me, at least for now.”

 

Jennie opens to respond but their conversation is cut short as the school bell rings and students come flooding into the yard. Evie splits from a small group of friends and dashed over to them.

 

“Mommy! Auntie Jennie!” The small brunette greets excited.

 

All seriousness in Chaeyoung’s face is replaced with a look of happiness as she scoops Evie up into a big bear hug.

 

“How was school, princess?”

 

“Good! I got a B+ on my math test!:

 

“Good job, sweetheart!” Jennie congratulates her with a smile of her own, which causes Evie to wiggle free of her mother’s embrace and throw her arms around Jennie’s legs.

 

“I’m so happy you are here!” Evie tells her as she looks up to the brunette with bright, happy eyes. “Mommy said we can go tobogganing!”

 

“Oh, she did, did she?” The brunette shoots Chaeyoung a chiding look. The blonde shrugs sheepishly, pleading with her smile. Jennie rolls her eyes playfully. “That sounds like so much, Evie. I’d love to.”

 

Chaeyoung lets out a breath she didn’t realize she was holding and beams at the brunette.

 

“Yay! It’s going to be so much fun!” Evie jumps up and down. “Mommy always get us hot chocolate after, and mine has whipped cream!”

 

“That sounds great!”

 

Evie reaches up to take her hand, and Chaeyoung takes her other as they walk out of the school.

 

They walk with Evie in between them, occasionally hoisting her off her feet so she can swing between them. Evie giggling each time.

 

“The Toboggan is already in the truck, so we’re good to go.”

 

The blonde helps them both into the truck and takes them to a big hill just outside of town where Evie spends the better part of an hour running up the hill to sled down it again, hurtling down into the soft snow without a care in the world.

 

“Sorry we didn’t get you a tree.”

 

Jennie waives her off. “I’ll pick one out later. This feels like a better way to spend the evening.” She says and notices the blonde watching her out of the corner of her eye.

 

“Is there something on my face?”

 

“No. I just…” It seemed like the blonde was caught off hard. “...this is nice. It’s almost like--”

 

The words hang in the air.

 

Just like old times, she means. But Jennie knows they can never go back to the old times.

 

“We can create new times.” Jennie finishes for her.

 

The blonde gives her a grateful smile. “You’re right. And to be honest I don’t know if I miss Suzy, or what we had together. The illusion we built together.”

 

“Illusion?”

 

The sheriff sighs. “When Suzy left, I realized that everything we had together had been a lie. That she had never cared about us at all. At least not enough to stay.”

 

Jennie stays quiet and thinks back to her wife affair, and her heart squeezes with sympathy. She knows that feeling all too well. On the surface, Byul and her were happy. But then she found out she had an affair, and everything fell to pieces.

 

“I can sympathize.” Jennie tells her.

 

“How?”

 

Jennie chews the inside of her lip, wondering how much she can get away with telling her.

 

“After I ran away, I tried to pretend that everything that came before didn’t exist. So i know what it’s like to live in a reality that doesn’t exist. To make-believe, hoping that belief is enough.” She explained. “But I was running away from my pain, and no amount of make-believe will ever fix that.”

 

“Is it really that painful?” Chaeyoung asked, with a frown. “Seeing the Gwon’s and me?”

“I mean… a little.” The brunette admits. “But I’m fine, Chae. Really.”

 

Chaeyoung nods and smiles, encircling her hand with hers, giving it a gentle squeeze. “Well I’m glad you found the courage to come back. We missed you. I missed you”

 

Jennie blinks back the sting of tears and squeeze her hand back. They sit like that, hands intertwined, for some time, soaking up the peace and serenity of the snowy day. Until Evie tires herself out, and the three of them drive to Chaeyoung’s house.

 

-------------------------------

 

“Boots and coats off, everyone! I’ll make hot chocolate.”

 

Both brunette’s wait in the living room and look over her math test while Chaeyoung busies herself in the kitchen. Soon she emerges with three mugs of hot chocolate.

 

“Whipped cream?”

 

“For all three.”

 

As they are warmed up by their drink, Jennie can’t help but feel a little ache over how close this feels to regaining the family she lost. And maybe in another life that’d be the case, but she knows that in this life, Chaeyoung needs somehow who’s ready to stay here, and Jennie doesn’t know if that’s her.

 

She sips quietly and sips her hot chocolate as Chaeyoung goes over Evie’s homework, mulling over the unexpected feelings bubbling to the surface.

 

Maybe they really missed their chance. And why does Jennie feel her heartbreak over the thought of that?