Please Come Home for Christmas

Begin Again

“Did you know Byeol was cheating on me?”

 

She braces herself for disappointment as the words leave . She doesn't know what´ll happen if Chaeyoung tells her that she did know. Things wouldn’t be the same, that’s for sure, Jennie would be forever questioning her trust. But then again Chaeyoung is one of the few close friends she has left, and the thought of cutting her off completely stings.

 

It’ll take time, but maybe she could learn to forgive her. Especially if she had good reasons not to tell her. Still, she’s not sure their relationship could recover from that sort of betrayal.

 

Chaeyoung stares back at her dumbfounded.The brunette sees a few emotions play across her face: anger confusion, then anger again.

 

“Cheating? Are you sure?”

 

Jennie nods, trying to fight the tears that sting her eyes. She stiffens her spine, squares her shoulders, and turns to face Chaeyoung.

 

“Chaeyoung, did you know? Please...¨Jennie pleads. “Tell me the truth.”

 

“No!” Chaeyoung replies, instantly.”Hell no! I would never lie about something like that, Jennie.” She said, looking at Jennie in the eyes, hoping the brunette could see she was being honest. “And I’d have broken her nose for it,”

 

The brunette studies the sheriff's face for a few long, silent moments for any sign of deceit. She seemed utterly sincere, and Jennie sighs as her anger fades.

 

“I believe you.”

 

Chaeyoung looks as relieved as Jennie feels.

 

“Thank you. I’m always going to be there for you, Jen. I’d never let someone hurt you like that.” Chaeyoung drags a hand through her hair. She still looks like she’s struggling to come to terms with the news. “When...how did you find out?”

 

Jennie sighs. “After I moved, I was finally able to go through her computer. I needed banking information, files… That’s when I saw the emails.”

 

She still remembers how cold and numb she felt as she scrolled through the string of emails, all from a name she recognized. Byeol had talked about her a lot during that year, but at the time she thought she was only a coworker.

 

“Her name is Leanne.” She continued. “I found her phone number, and I called her.”

 

“Jen…”

 

Chaeyoung’s grief looks as deep as Jennie’s was a she slowly punched Leanne’s number into her phone all those years ago.

 

“What did she say?”

 

“She admitted to everything.” Jennie replied with a sad smile. “They’d been seeing each other for almost a year, sneaking off to fake meetings to be together. She begged me not to tell anyone. She was married, too..”

 

“You must hate her.”

 

Jennie shakes her head and manages a weak smile. “At first I did, but I tried to move on. There was no point holding onto all that anger and resentment.”

 

“I’m not sure I could have done the same thing.” The blonde lets out a long, weary sigh. “I can’t believe she’d do this to you. She always talked about you and Gabriel like you were her entire world.” She seems to realize a moment later how much her words sting. “Why don’t we go for a walk?” She offered. “It’s a crisp, clear night… maybe it’ll clear our heads.”

 

The brunette nods.

 

A walk sounded nice. She was beginning to feel restless and claustrophobic.

 

------------------

 

The two walk side by side. With the pageant over and shops closing for the day, the two of them are alone on the sidewalk.

 

“Can I ask you something?” Chaeyoung asked after a while.

 

“Sure.”

 

“Did you tell Leanne’s husband?”

 

“No.”

 

“Really?”

 

Jennie shakes her head. “I couldn’t tear her family apart like that. What if she had kids? Why should they have to suffer?

 

Chaeyoung sighs and gives her a helpless shrug. “Because she’s lying to her family?”

 

“Maybe, but I couldn’t be sure I was doing it for the wrong reasons.” Jennie shrugs. “Did I want to help her husband, or did I want to punish her? In the end, I couldn’t make someone else hurt the way I was hurting.”

 

The blonde reaches out to squeeze her hand. Her fingers are delicate and warm against Jennie’s. “You have a good heart.”

“That’s a nice way to put it. I always just thought I was being a coward.”

 

“It was an impossible decision, and you tried not to make it worse. That’s admirable.”

 

Jennie manages a weak, thankful smile. “I don’t know if she told him herself. I sometimes wonder how much guilt she must have felt after being confronted by a grieving widow.”

 

Chaeyoung laughs, a second later she’s looking like she regretted it. “I’m sorry.”

 

“It’s okay, I said to be funny.”

 

Soon the sidewalk becomes a country road, and they stare out at the fields of fresh snow.

 

“It’s still hard for me to process this.”

 

“I know that feeling.”

 

Chaeyoung nods. “Right.” she muttered. “Do you ever wish you’d never found out?”

 

“Sometimes.” Jennie answered. “There are days I wish I could remember Byeol and my marriage as this perfect wonderful thing.” She smiled faintly. “Still, I think it’s better that I know. It’s hurt me deeply, but it’s honest, you know?”

 

Chaeyoung nods with a sigh. “That’s fair. Damn…” She shook her head. “I wish I’d known what was wrong so I could have talked some sense into her.”

 

“I think we are both to blame.” She said. “I can’t help but feel like something went wrong. We were happy, once.”

 

“You can’t blame yourself.”

 

“He shouldn’t have lied to me.” Jennie confirms. “But sometimes I wonder if we both settled for the safe choice. I mean what if we chose stability and what was easy over real passion… love?”

 

Chaeyoung studies her face. “Is that how you feel?”

 

”Sometimes.” The brunette sighs and stares at the road ahead. “I wish I could just start over.”

 

“Can’t you?”

 

“It’s hard to move on. I don’t know how long i’ll be affected by what Byeol did, but I know I am.”

 

The blonde nods, brow furrowed with concern.

 

The wind picks up, spraying the both of them with a fine powder of snow from the nearby trees. Chaeyoung chuckles and dust some of the snow from your hair.

 

“Let 's head back. I’m sure they’re wondering where we are.”

 

“Sounds good.”

 

The blonde offers Jennie her arm, and the two of them walk back along the quiet road toward the town.

 

“Are you ever going to tell the Gwons what Byeol did?”

 

Jennie looks at the skid. “I’ve thought about it, and…” She looks at the sheriff. “I can’t ruin their memory of her.”

 

Chaeyong sighs and glances at her. “You don’t owe her that.”

 

“No, but I do owe it to them.”


 

Soon enough the two of them make it back to Chaeyoung’s truck, and she drives Jennie to the Gwons house.

 

As they approach the door, the blonde reaches out for and gently takes hold of her arm.

 

“Jennie…” She starts. “I just want you to know. I’m sorry, and I’m here for you.”

 

The brunette frowns. “Sorry? For what?”

 

“That I didn’t know about Byeol’s affair. That I didn’t prevent all this from happening.” She said, clearly struggling for words after all that’s been said. “If I could have saved you than pain, I would have.”

 

“Chaeyoung…”

 

Jennie smiles faintly, and the blonde gazes at her with such warmth in her eyes, she feels herself being drawn toward the taller girl like a moth to a hearth. She could lose herself in those eyes, those lips.

 

Her words mean more to Jennie that she can possibly know.

 

“Come here.” Jennie whispers.

 

The sheriff steps towards her, and the brunette presses a soft kiss to her lips. The blonde wraps her arms around her, holding her close and shielding her from the wind. Jennie feels safe in her arms, and she knows that trusting Chaeyoung won’t be a problem anymore.

They kiss for a few more moments until Jennie pulls away.

 

“Thank you for listening to me.” She whispers. “I’m sorry I ever doubted you.”

 

“Don’t be.” The blonde replies. “Byeol shocked us both. I don’t blame you for being unsure.” She squeezes her gently before letting her go. “Let’s get inside.”

 

---------------

 

As they kick off their boots and hang up their jackets, Jisoo peeks out from the kitchen

 

“There you are! What took you to so long mmmmm?” She asked, arms crossed, eyebrow raised and an annoying smirk on her face.

 

“Uh…”

 

“We just…”

 

Both girls looked at each other for a second then back at Jisoo who’s smirk was slowly being transformed into an all knowing smile.

 

“Last minute presents.” Jennie said, quickly. “I can’t tell you about them, obviously.”

 

“Obviously.” Chaeyoung repeats

 

“Mmhm” Jisoo winks and waves them into the kitchen. “There’s still plenty of cookies and hot cocoa left. I made sure to save you some.”

 

They follow her into the kitchen and Evie gives a little shout of delight.

 

“There’s my little star.” Chaeyoung greets proudly.

 

“Mommy! Jennie! I thought you got lost!”

 

“Us? Never.” Chaeyoung replies.

 

“That’s right, we could track Eunae’s baking across state lines.”

 

Jisoo chuckled. “Me too.”

 

The two women help themselves for some cocoa and cookies as they join the family, the brunette looking around with a smile on her face.

 

Jennie stands aside leaning against the counter as she thinks of her time with Chaeyoung tonight. She’s so glad she finally talked to her about Byeol, I should have done it sooner.

 

“Jenduk.” Jisoo approaches her.

 

“Hey.”

 

“So.” The older brunette says.

 

“So.”

 

“Sooo…”

 

“Is this what we’re doing?” Jennie asked in amusement.

 

Jisoo grins. “You and Pasta. You make a pretty great couple, don’t you?”

 

“So, i’ve heard.”

 

Jennie sighs as the other girls grins from ear to ear.

 

“Really, who else thinks so?”

 

The brunette bites her lip and looks discreetly to the people at the table, making sure no one is looking or listening to them. “Chaeyoung.”

 

Jisoo gasps.

 

“Keep it down.” Jennie hisses.

 

Jisoo studies her face intently. “I’d say that’s great, but something tells me you are hesitating… why?”

 

“Why what?”

 

“Oh come on.” Jisoo whines. “You, Chaeyoungie, a holiday romance. It’s obvious you have feelings for her, so why not pursue it?”

 

“Maybe I will.” Jennie said with a small grin. “Everyone keeps acting like there’s no way we won’t end up together. Am I just fighting fate?”

 

“Probably.” Jisoo nods. “You know, when we were all teenagers, I always thought it would be you two that ended up together.”

 

“Really?”

 

Jisoo grins and nods. “Don’t get me wrong-- I love that we’re sisters now, but you and Pasta always had this undeniable chemistry.”

 

Jennie sighs. “I know what you mean.” She said smiling fondly at the new memories she’s made with Chaeyoung and Evie during her visit. It’s like all those years she spent away never happened. “I never expected to get a second chance at love, let alone a family.”

 

“Not everyone gets one. At least not like this. What you two have is rare.”

 

Jennie considers her words, and the reassurances she got from Chaeyoung, how safe she feels around her, how much she loves making Evie smile, how much she looks forward to spending time with them both… maybe it’s time to take a chance.