Let it Snow

Begin Again

After her morning with the Parks, Jennie drives back to her in-laws’ house to check in with them before her trip to the log cabin. They know she spent the night babysitting, but she’s isn’t sure if she'd be ready to share anything else with them just yet.

 

The Kwons have always supported her, but she wonders how they would feel if she was finding love again? With their daughter’s best friends no less.

 

She walks in and finds Eunabe wrapping presents in the kitchen when she arrives, Dalgom is curled up at her feet on the tile floor,and the dog jumps to her feet when she sees her.

 

“Oh There you are, Jennie!”

 

“Should I avert my eyes?” Jennie asked as she jokingly covered her eyes.

 

“Oh no.” Eunae chuckles. “I did yours ages ago.” She winks at her as she tears off a piece of tape from the roll.

 

“I hope it’s something edible, like chocolate.”

 

“I don’t know how you manage to keep that lovely figure.”

 

“I walk a lot..”

 

“Is this some sort of newfangled diet?”

 

“Yeah.” Jennie nods with a smile. “It’s called being a realtor.”

 

The two share a laugh and Jennie looks around the kitchen, the sight of her amidst boxes, ribbons, and wrapping paper is a familiar one. Jisoo and her used to join her in wrapping gifts and drinking eggnog…

 

“Where is everyone?” She asked.

 

“It’s just me and Dalgom holding down the fort. My husband and Jisoo are doing some shopping for me,” Euane explains. “Between you and me, I like the peace and quiet.”

 

Jennie laughs and pours herself a mug of tea from the pot she’s made. Dalgom follows her around the kitchen, tail wagging. The brunette then takes a seat in front of Euane and helps wrap some of the smaller packages and attach the name tags she has ready for them, laughing and catching up.

 

“Are these okay? I was actually on my way out again.”

 

“Of course! Don’t let me keep you waiting. Where are headed?”

 

Jennie plays with one of the ribbons of the table as she answers. “You know that log house on the outskirts of town? Chaeyoung bought it as a surprise for Evie.”

 

“What a wonderful present!” The woman exclaims. “It’s about time they had a fresh start, and that house is beautiful.”

 

“Bark!”

 

“It looks like Dalgom agrees.”

 

Jennie nods and passes her the scissors as she reaches for them. “I’m glad I was able to get the purchase settled before Christmas.”

 

“Me too.” Euane replies. “It’s a good thing the storm passed quickly. The roads can be a mess when the snow is coming down like that.” She frowns down at the package she’s working on. “I always worry when Chaeyoung has to work in that kind of weather.”

 

Jennie nods and stares down at the countertop. “I was…” She sighs. “Terrified. I’m still learning how to live with the idea of her running off into a storm or to some accident.”

 

“I know the feeling. She’s become like a daughter to me over the years.” The older woman reaches across the counter to pat her hand. “We should both try to have faith in her. Chaeyoung is quite the woman. Most couldn’t handle half of what she does. She has a demanding career, she’s raised Evie all by herself, and she makes it look easy.”

 

Jennie’s eyes narrow as she gets the feeling that Eunae is trying to talk Chaeyoung up to her. As if she needed to…

 

“You’re right.” Jennie agrees. “She’s a great woman. She juggles so many things. Motherhood, her job… it must’ve been so hard when Suzy left, but she seems to manage just fine”

 

“I never liked that woman, you know.” She leans forward and whispers to her as if she might be overheard. “Between you and me, I think she was more upset for Evie’s sake than her own. It’s clear that she can be the perfect mother, and I suspect she’ll make a perfect wife again if given the chance.” She pulls away. “Don’t you, Jennie?”

 

“Uh…” Okay the woman was definitely talking Chaeyoung up, she isn’t dreaming this, is she? “Yeah, she’ll make a great wife. I’m really impressed by how much she’s grown and matured over the years.”

 

“She’s a good woman. Anyone would be lucky to have her.”

 

The brunette sighs and tries not to roll her eyes. “I keep hearing that.”

 

“That’s because it’s true!” The woman says, “You’ve always been a good judge of character, Jennie. You know I’m right.”

 

Jennie smiles wryly to herself. If she only knew how many times she has been fooled. Still, Eunae was right. Chaeyoung is a good woman.

 

“I know. It’s just hard to know if I’m ready to build a family again.”

 

“I can only imagine how frightening that must be for you.” Euane reaches out again to give her arm a squeeze. “You’ve both been through a lot, and I just want you and CHaeyoung to be happy.”

 

The brunette nods, tight. It takes her a moment to find her voice. “It’s been hard to fully move on.”

 

Euane smiles sadly. “I know, dear, but I think it’s time. Five years is a long time for a young woman to be alone. You deserve a fresh start, too.”

 

Jennie blinks back tears as she tries to explain her hesitation. “I'm scared to try again because of Gabriel. What if I’m not ready to be a mother again? I can’t even bring myself to visit his grave, Eunae. Evie needs someone she can depend on. I don’t want to let her down like Suzy did.”

 

The older woman fishes a tissue out of her pocket and hands it to her. “You’re a natural with her. You’ve been parenting that little girl already without realizing it. You’re ready.”

 

“You really think so?”

 

“I do.”

 

She tries to get her tears under control as she circles the counter to gather her into a hug. Before she can finish wiping them away, she hears footsteps approaching.

 

“Mom! Why are you making Jennie cry?”

 

The two women separate and see Jisoo and Hyunwoo stand in the kitchen doorway with their hands full of grocery bags. Hyunwoo seeming at a loss when confronted with such a display of emotion, beelines for a pie cooling on the stove.

 

“Don’t mind me.”

 

“Do not touch that pie.”

 

Jennie sniffles. “I’m fine, really. It was just girl talk.” Jennie explains. “Nothing to worry about.”

 

Jisoo frowns. “What kind of girl talk?”

 

“The private kind?”

 

Jisoo rolls her eyes and gives a dramatic sigh as she begins unpacking her groceries. “You’ re not fun.”

 

“On that note, I should get going. I’ll see you later.” Jennie said as she gathered her things.

 

“Be safe, and don’t forget what I said!”

 

“I won’t. Thank you, Eunae.”

 

-----------------------------------------

 

After taking a shower and getting ready, the brunette climbs into her car and set off for the log house. At least she knows she has Eunae’s blessing, and she knows Jisoo will be delighted. Jennie was sure Hyunwoo would be happy for her, but if not they could probably distract him with a danish.

 

She’s the first to arrive at the new house. She climbs out of her car and waits for CHaeyoung and Evie. The entire property is blanketed in a layer of fresh snow, which makes it all the more picturesque. The outside already has some christmas decoration ready, she honestly expected nothing less from her.

 

Chaeyoung’s truck pulls into the driveway moments later, and she carries Evie out of her seat in the back. Both of her hands are pressed firmly over her eyes.

 

“I said she couldn’t peek.” The blonde said with a shrug.

 

Jennie smiles. “Good job, Evie.”

 

“I wanna see my surprise!”

 

Chaeyoung set her down and takes a step back. “Okay, sweetheart. You can look.”

 

Evie lets her hands drop and gives a shriek of delight. “You got us a new house?!”

 

“I did. Jenni helped.”

 

“I want to look around! Jennie what’s your favorite part?”

 

“The living room has a big fireplace. It’ll be so cozy!”

 

Evie gasps. “Can I roast marshmallows?”

 

“I can’t see why not.”

 

Evie takes her hand and starts dragging her towards the house. Chaeyoung laughs and follows after the two of them.

 

“I’m glad she’s excited.”

 

“Me too.”

 

As soon as the three of them are inside Evie takes off running.

 

“Careful, sweetheart!”

 

“I will be!”

 

Chaeyoung leans against the wall of the main room as she dashes off to explore, a loving smile on her face. “I guess she likes it.”

 

“I love it!”

 

The house is far less dusty than the last time she saw it, and new furniture has already been moved in.

 

“You’ve been busy.”

 

“I hired some cleaners and began ordering furniture. I couldn’t have done this without your advice.”

 

“Well, I’m glad I could be of help.”

 

“You’re more than that.” The blonde tells her. “You’re indispensible. Without you, I would never have thought to make the master bedroom fireplace run on electricity.”

 

A small smile spreads across her face as she grins at her. “You didn’t.”

 

The blonde nods smuggly. “I did. I told you I wanted this place to feel like home to you. Do you like it?”

 

Now Jennie knows that no matter what happens between the two of them, she’ll always be welcome here. It’s obvious that the sheriff wants her to feel like she can be a part of her life, and her home.

 

Though she tries to hide it, Jennie can tell Chaeyoung is waiting anxiously to see if she approves or not.

 

“I love it.” Jennie finally says with a smile. “I can see myself feeling at home in here. You’ve done so much to make sure I could be happy here.”

 

The blonde smiles and shrugs. “I know you haven’t made any promises, but I needed you to know I’m ready to share my life with you.”

 

“I do.” Jennie tells her. “It’s getting harder and harder to think about leaving, but I can’t let Evie down.”

 

The blonde reaches out to squeeze her hand. “Only you can make that call. I trust you to do what you think is right for her, and for you.”

 

The brunette manages to press a quick kiss to her cheek before Evie comes scampering back down the hall.

 

“This is the best house ever!”

 

“I’m glad you like it, bug.”

 

“Can we go play in the yard? There’s so much snow!”

 

With a nod the three of them go out into the front yard, and Evie immediately starts grabbing fistfuls of snow. Chaeyoung stands next to Jennie sighing contentedly as she watches her daughter play.

 

“You know, I was thinking.”

 

“About what?”

 

“You and I have never been on a proper date.”

 

Jennie nods, her face warm. “That’s true.”

 

“So I thought I should ask you…” The blonde turned to face her. “Would you like to go to dinner with me sometime?”

 

“Of course!” Jennie answered quickly. She coughed and looked down. “I mean, I’d love to, Rosie”

 

Chaeyoung grins in delight. “Great! How does tomorrow sound? I can pick you up at six.”

 

“That sounds perfect.”

 

Just then, they are interrupted by a snowball, it flies through the air and into Jennie’s shoulder, spraying snow everywhere.

 

“What the…”

 

“Evelyn!”

 

“Opps! Sorry, Jennie. I was aiming for mommy.”

 

Chaeyoung gasp and with a chuckle begins scooping up snow. “Is that right?”

 

“Oh no!”

 

The blonde glances sideways at Jennie and grins mischievously and next thing the brunette knows she has a face full of snow, gasping she stares at Chaeyong in shock as the blonde only grins back at her.

 

“Oh its on!”

 

She starts packing a snowball as Evie giggles and scoops handfuls of snow. The three of them continue their fight, Jennie and EVie gang up on Chaeyoung until the blonde is putting her hands up on surrounder making the other two laugh.

 

“Can we make a snowman first to keep the house company, mommy?” Evie asked after her mother asked her to go inside to warm up.

 

“M…” Chaeyoung puts her finger on her chin. “I don’t know, what do you think, Jennie?”

 

The brunette pretends to think about it too. “He might get lonely by himself. We should make the snowman a family.”

 

“You’re right!”

 

The three of them proceed to make the snowman, Evie manages to roll two little snowballs into a child sized pile, complete with a red beanie on top.

 

“There! Now there’s a baby.”

 

Jennie smiles as she packs snow into a middle-sized snowman. This one with a scarf and ear covers.

 

“Now the snowman will have a wife.”

 

Chaeyoung from her side makes a huge snowman, almost twice the size as the other two.

 

“Oh wow.”

 

“He can protect the others.” Evie said in delight. “He’s the snow-sheriff.”

 

Chaeyoung walks to her turck and pulls out marshmallows and a small bag of firewood from the back seat. “We can enjoy these while we warm up by the fire.”

 

“Yay!:

 

“You really think of everything.”

 

“I try.”

 

As Jennie lounge’s on the sofa and watch Evie skewer a marshmallow, she feels utterly content. She thinks after their date she can finally give an answer to Chaeyoung.

 
--------------------
A/N : Go stream the nations vocalists:  Wendy -Like Water & Rosé - Gone, On The Ground