Merry And Bright

Begin Again

The days that follow are long and painful as she tries to hide her grief from the Gwons. Jennie broke down the moment she got into her car. She shouldn’t have never let things get this far, not if she wasn’t sure.

 

It’s only after she had gone stir-crazy from hiding that she left the house. And that’s how she finds herself walking down the quiet country road and into town hoping Chaeyoung is still bedridden. She doesn’t think she could face her right now.

 

As she roams the snowy sidewalks, her feet take her to a place she hasn’t been to in five years. As she stands by the entrance to the Shadow Creek graveyard, she knows it’s time to say a proper goodbye. She’s put this off for long enough, and who knows when she’ll be back. It’s time.

 

She makes her way into the cemetery and finds the graves of her late wife and son. Snow covers Gabriel’s headstone, but she dusts it off with her gloves.

 

“I’m so sorry I didn’t come sooner.” She said letting the grief out, hoping to reach some catharsis. “Mommy’s sorry. I know I haven’t been back here, but you’re with me every day in my heart.” She took a deep breath as she tried to calm down. “ I love you, Gabriel.”

 

Her gaze then changes to Byeol’s grave. “You broke my heart, By.” She said. “But I forgive you.” She shakes her head and sighs. “I wish we could have talked about it. Maybe then we’d both have gotten a proper chance at happiness.” She shrugged. “But I’m tired of being angry, By. So I forgive you.”

 

Right then and there she feels as if a weight has been lifted, and she manages a small smile. “Take care of our son.”

 

-------------------------------

 

Jennie made her way out of the cemetery and back to the main street, finally feeling a little closure. She should’ve done that a long time ago. She’s been carrying so much guilt, but now… now it feels like a weight has lifted.

 

A familiar jacket catches her eye from across the street, and her heart sinks as she spots Chaeyoung. The blonde looks at her too and quickly crosses the street to stand in front of her.

 

“I thought you’d be gone by now.”

 

“I just…”

 

“We should talk.”

 

Jennie frowned. “All right, but I don’t know what else there is to say.”

“I shouldn’t have let you sort out your feelings on your own.”

 

“Chaeyoun, don’t…”

 

The blonde shakes her head and presses on. “We should be a team. A couple. We can get through this together.”

 

“And if we can’t?” Jennie asked. “The longer I’m here, the harder it’ll be when I leave.”

 

“Second chances like this are rare, Jennie.” The blonde says quietly. “Don’t run from it.” Before Jennie can say anything, the taller girl closes the distance between them. “I love you. Tell me you don’t feel the same way.”

 

“I do.” Jennie replied with no hesitation. “I do. You know I do.”

 

“Then what’s stopping you?”

 

The brunette shakes her head and looks away, unable to meet her gaze.

 

“Okay, so what’s the plan?” The blonde then asked, placing her hands at her hips.

 

“Plan?”

 

“If you’re not staying here to make this work, what are you going to do?”

 

Jennie sighs. “I’m heading back to the city. Once there I’ll focus on my work, my friends.”

 

Chaeyoung nods slowly, and she seems to take a moment to mull things over.

 

“Penny for your thoughts?”

 

“If you kiss me, I’ll give them to you for free.”

 

“What?”

 

“Kiss me.” Chaeyoung repeated with a grin. “If you are not going to stay at the very least let me have that.”

 

Jennie seems to think about it for a second. “Okay.” No harm right?

 

“Okay?”

 

The brunette pulls the sheriff closer by the lapels of her coat and presses a kiss to her lips.

 

“Okay.” She confirmed softly.

 

Chaeyoung grins and returns the kiss, she wraps her arms around the brunette, drawing her into a tight embrace.

For a moment everything feels so right. This is where Jennie’s meant to be. Then, the doubts return, and she reluctantly steps back.

 

“I’m sorry.” Jennie says softy. “I just can’t.”

 

A distant bell jingles, and Evie steps out of a nearby bookshop. “All done browsing, princess?”

 

“Uh huh! Auntie Jennie!”

 

The brunette smiles. “Hey, Eves.”

 

The little brunette then makes a show of looking both ways down the empty street before rushing to her mother’s side.

 

“Mommy says we can go skating later.” She said, looking up at the realtor. “Are you coming with us, Jennie?”

 

The brunette hesitates as Evie stares up at her with her big hopeful eyes. Chaeyoung seems to notice her panic and steps in, placing a comforting hand on her daughter's shoulder.

 

“Jennie is busy, princess. Maybe next time.”

 

“Aw, okay.” The girl throws her arms around Jennie’s leg to give her a tight hug.

 

Her heart aches as she returns it. These might be the last words she says to Evie in a long time.

 

“Evie…” She sighs. “I love you.”

 

The little brunette gives her a scrutinizing look, and for a moment it almost seems like she’s guessed the truth. Then she throws her arms around her shoulders.

 

“Love you too, Auntie Jennie.”

 

The blonde gives her one last weary smile before leading her daughter away.

 

Jennie watches them go and feels tears gathering in her eyes. She needed to leave. The longer she stayed the harder it will be.

 

---------------------------------

 

Jennie blinks back tears as she heads to the Gwon’s house, trying to think of an excuse as she goes. It’ll hurt them that she’s leaving on Christmas Eve, but she can’t keep pretending everything’s okay. She’ll explain to Jisoo later, she’ll understand.

 

The Gwon’s try and fail to hide their disappointment that she has to go, but they understand, she has a big deal on the line, huge property, that’s why she’s leaving and Jisoo walks with her to the bus stop after she returns her rental car..

 

As they wait for her bus, she can feel Jisoo studying her critically.

 

“So…”

 

“So…”

 

“Seriously?”

 

“You started it.”

 

Jisoo sighs, exasperated. “Big property huh?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Where is it?”

 

“West Village New York.”

 

“How much?”

 

“80 Million.”

 

“Who’s the buyer?”

 

Jennie shrugged. “Just some guy.”

 

Jisoo raises her eyebrow unconvinced, as Jennie’s phone buzzes in her pocket, but she says nothing,the older woman only sighs and shakes her head, yet there is understanding in her eyes.

 

“Just don’t disappear on us again.”

 

“I won’t”

 

“As long as we are clear.”

 

Jennie turns to look at her. “This isn't forever. I just need some distance.”

 

The bus pulls into the station, and she gives Jisoo a farewell hug.

 

“Take care of yourself, Jenduk.”

 

Jennie’s phone buzzes a second time. She blinked back tears and hugged Jisoo back. “I will.”

It’s only after she’s gotten on the bus and settled in her seat that she looks at her phone. She has six texts from Chaeyoung.

 

[Chaeyoung]

 

Are you leaving?

 

[Chaeyoung]

 

Jennie, please respond.

 

[Chaeyoung]

 

I guess you are leaving...

 

[Chaeyoung]

 

Look, just know that I love you. I want you to do what’s best for you.

 

[Chaeyoung]

 

If that means you’re leaving town for good, I accept that. But please don’t disappear.

 

[Chaeyoung]

 

I mean what I said, no matter what happens I’ll always be there for you as a friend.

 

Her heart sticks in . It feels wrong to leave without any warning at all. She just couldn’t face a proper goodbye. She has to text her back. It’s the least she can do.


 

[Jennie]

 

Rosie, please don’t blame yourself.

 

[Chaeyoung]

 

Don’t worry about me, Jennie. I just want you to be happy.

 

[Jennie]

 

I am happy.

 

[Jennie]

 

I just need time.

 

[Chaeyoung]

 

Okay.

 

[Chaeyoung]

 

As I said, do whatever’s best for you. I’ll wait for you.


 

[Chaeyoung]

 

Forever. if that’s what it takes.

 

[Jennie]

 

I’m really sorry, Chaeyoung.

 

[Jennie]

 

Goodbye.


 

Unable and unwilling to face a reply, she slips her phone into her purse. It’s not just her she needs to think about, she’ll never forgive herself if she hurts Evie. She’s already had one mom walk out of her. She couldn’t break her heart like that. Just thinking about how devastated Evie would be makes her heart ache.

 

She just hopes they can both forgive her someday.

 

Jennie clutches her wheeled suitcase as she makes her way through the holiday crowd. Her freezes as she sees a familiar face heading off a plane.

 

It’s been five years since she’s seen Byeol’s twin brother Suho, but she’d recognize him anywhere.

 

“Suho!” She calls out.

 

His eyes meet hers, and she sees a smile spread across his face.

 

“Jennie!”

 

The tall man makes his way through the crowd and reaches her quickly with a surprised but happy smile.

 

“What are you doing here?”

 

“Same as you! Visiting your parents!”

 

Suho laughs and shakes his head. “I mean, what are you doing here at the airport? Are you leaving already?”

 

Jennie’s smile faltered. “I.. it’s a long story.”

 

“I have all evening.”

 

Jennie looks up to him frowning. “No, you don’t! It’s Christmas Eve.” She said. “You need to get to your mother’s house. They aren’t even sure you’re coming.”

 

He shrugs and holds a hand out for the handle of her suitcase. “Tell me about it on the way there. You’re coming back with me.”

 

“I can’t.”

 

“Why not?”

 

She sighs and gives a weak shrug. “I don’t want to talk about it. I’m sorry.”

 

Suho gives a knowing look. “You are running away again, aren’t you?”

 

“No. I’m not!” She replies in defence. “You have no idea what you’re talking about.”

 

Suho chuckled. “Please. I know what running looks like. I’ve had to look at myself in the mirror for five years.”

 

Jennie huffs and bows her head, avoiding his gaze. “I just couldn’t stay,:

 

“Why? Was it too hard?”

 

The brunette can hear the sympathy in his voice, and a part of her wants to leap at the excuse. But it feels wrong to blame her choice to leave on her loss, especially to Suho.

 

“It’s not that. It’s complicated.” She said, hoping the man would get the hint and not ask.

 

Suho studies her face for a moment, and a small grin tugs at his lips, “Is this about Chaeyoung?”

 

Jennie’s eyes widen, opening and closing. “What? How--”

 

“I was just joking, but your response is enough of an answer.” He said with a wink. “She’s been in love with you for years, and you’re both single now.”

 

Jennie sighs and nods. “We’ve been seeing each other.”

 

“So?”

 

“I got scared of not being ready.” She admits. “Of disappointing Evie, of hurting Chaeyoung… I’ve never even looked at anybody after Byeol, but now I’m being offered a wife and a daughter.”

 

Suho takes her words for a moment and nods. “I know it’s a lot at once, but Chaeyoung and Evie are already a huge part of your life.”

 

The brunette nods as she thinks about all those years of Christmas and birthday cards with Evie’s photo tucked inside. It was the best part of the holiday’s for her, she also remembers wishing, even if just for a second, she could be there with them.

 

“I don’t think Chaeyoung would have let you get this close if she didn’t think it was the right choice.” Suho continues sofly.

 

Jennie feels tears b on her eyes. “I love Chaeyoung and Evie, and I want nothing more than to move here and start a life with them.”

 

“Well, then, why the won’t you just stay?”

 

A frustrated yet familiar voice sounds behind her, she turns around to see Chaeyoung standing there with her hands on her hips and a confused look on her face.

 

“What are you…?”

 

“I had to come.” The blonde said, effectively shutting Jennie up. “I wanted one last chance to convince you to stay.”

 

Suho grins and gives a little half-waive. “Nice to see you too, Chae.”

 

The blonde smiles. “I’m glad you could make it, though you look like crap.” She said eyeing him up and down. “We should get you home.” She tosses him her keys. “Wait in the truck. I don’t think I can face your mom if I don’t bring you both back with me.”

 

The man salutes playfully at her. “Yes, sir.” She joked. “No need to use your cop voice with me.” He said, turning around and leaving them alone.

 

Jennie wraps her arms around her chest and stares up at Chaeyoung. “Rosie…”

 

“Before you say anything, I want to take you somewhere.” She says. “We can drop Suho off at the house first.”

 

The brunette sighs and nods. “Okay.” She replied softly. “At the very least, I owe you a proper goodbye.”

 

Chaeyoung gave her a tiny smile. “Don’t say that just yet. There’s something I need to show you.”

 

“Okay. Lead the way.”

Jennie follows Chaeyoung outside trying to hide a smile when the blonde loops an arm around her shoulder.

 

“If you want to leave after, I’ll bring you right back here. I promise.” Chaeyoung said, then pulled her closer. “But I’m banking on you not wanting to leave again.

 

--------------------------------

 

The two of them drop Suho off at the Gwon’s house with good luck before setting off down the country road.

 

The sun sets as they drive towards the log house. There was light snow coming down, the road wasn’t too busy, not that it usually was but the occasional car that would usually drive by was missing as it was Christmas Eve. They didn’t talk, Chaeyoung was concentrating on the road and Jennie would look at her every once in a while before looking out the window.

 

“Here it is.” The blonde parked the truck outside her house.”Home sweet home.”

 

The house is decorated with colorful, blinking lights, and a glimpse of a tall tree could be seen through the window. It was the perfect christmas picture.

 

“Do you remember when we were in high school, and we’d walk around looking at people’s lights?” The blonde asked, noticing the brunette looking at the decorations.

 

“Of course I remember.” Jennie replied. “I loved to see the entire street lit up.”

 

“I loved seeing your face when you saw it.”

 

Jennie smiles and blushes as the sheriff gazes adoringly at her.

 

“The houses on Pine Street were always your favorite.” The blonde continued. “I stole a bit of inspiration from them.”

 

Jennie shakes her head in disbelief. “I can’t believe you remember what they looked like. They must have changed their decorations after all these years.”

 

“Of course I remember.” The blonde huffs as the mere thought of her forgetting of something so important to the brunette was offending. “It was important to you, so it was important to me.”

 

“Rosie…”

 

Chaeyoung smiles and takes one of her hands in hers. “Now you can see your own lights every day of the holidays, and I can see your smiling face.”

 

Jennie was speechless.

 

“There 's more.” She points at the living room window. “That’s your house, and that’s your tree.” She said with a tiny smile. “I know it’s cutting things a little close, but we can decorate it as a proper family.” She squeezes Jennie’s hand and caresses the back of it with her thumb lovingly. “You know how I grew up. All I ever wanted was to give the woman I love a perfect house, a perfect life.”

 

“That sounds wonderful.” Jennie said softly. “But nothing perfect can last forever.”

 

Chaeyoung leans close, her eyes glowing with the seraing intensity of an electrical storm, a sideway smirk on her lips. “We’ll make it last. For you, Jennie, I’d do the impossible. I’d lasso the moon if I thought that would change your mind.”

 

Jennie chuckled. “Would you bottle starlight?”

 

“Yep.”

 

“Capture a storm?”

 

“Without question.”

 

“Steal candy from a baby.”

 

“I’ll gladly face their angry mother.”

 

Jennie laughed as the blonde stared at her adoringly with a wide smile.

 

“I want to give you perfection… it you’ll let me.”

 

Jennie’s chest aches as she looks between Chaeyoung and the home she’s created for them both.

 

She looks down at the intertwined hand with a small smile. “Ever since I came back to Shadow Creek, you’ve done everything you can to make me feel at home, and like I’m part of a family.”

 

“Because you are.” The blonde replies. “I want to build a life with you, Jennie. I wanted to give you a taste of what that could feel like.”

 

“You did. It became so easy to imagine a life with you, and to be a mom to Evie.”

 

“You’re so great with her, and she loves having you in her life.” The blonde gazed into her eyes. “We can do this, Jennie. We can have our second chance and build a life together. All you need to do is say yes.”

 

As Jennie stares into her warm earnest eyes, the realization hits her… she can do this. This is the chance of a lifetime. If she lets her slip away, she’ll never forgive herself. It would become her biggest regret in life.

 

She says nothing but rather pulls the blonde closer by her jacket pressing and eager kiss to her lips. The blonde chuckles and holds her close, happy to return the kiss.

 

“Is that a yes?”


 

“Yes.” Jennie replied smiling. “I’m staying.”

 

“Good.” She kisses the corner of and sighs contently. “I hope I can make you half as happy as you’ve made me.”

 

“You already have.”

 

For a moment they stay close together. It feels so surreal after fighting her feelings for so long, but it’s happening. She’s staying. They’re going to be a family.

 

“I can’t wait to tell Evie.”

 

Jennie smiles to herself and rests her head on her shoulder. “I guess she gets two christmas surprises. How are we going to top this next year?”

 

Chaeyoung winces. “It’s going to be hard.”

 

“It’ll be even harder if we get married. I’ve always wanted a Christmas wedding!” Jennie said, her eyes lighting up at the idea.

 

Chaeyoung stares at her with shock and delight. “Is that a proposal, Miss Kim?”

 

The brunette shrugged coyly. “I’m sure I can get you a ring for Christmas.”

 

The sheriffs laughs and presses a sweet, lingering kiss to her lips. “Damn it, and here I thought I’d be the one getting down on one knee.”

 

“You can’t get all the romantic gestures you know.”

 

“Well, MIss Kim. I want nothing more than to be your wife.”

 

Jennie can feel herself grinning from ear to ear. A new wife, a new life. After all this time, she and Chaeyoung finally get the chance at happiness they both deserve.