All I Want For Christmas Is You

Begin Again

As Jennie listens to Chaeyoung’s story about the little girl and her neglectful parents, her heart sinks. She can almost imagine her huddling against the blonde as she confronts her parents.

 

She also can’t help but think it must have been so hard for her to face those people, it probably brought unpleasant memories for her. Chaeyoung could’ve ended up so differently and yet she didn't let her past affect who she was in the present.

 

Chaeyoung gives her a shy, almost apologetic smile. Jennie can feel her nervousness; it’s as if she can feel her recoiling as the danger she put herself in sinks in.

 

“You probably think I’m an idiot.”

 

Jennie shakes her head. “I think you are brave.” She tells her. “You always go above and beyond with your work, and I know you must have felt like you couldn’t leave her alone with them.”

 

“Well I…”

 

“But I also think you are stupid.” Jennie said with a pointed look. “You took a huge risk going in there without backup.”

 

“I couldn’t just walk away.” Chaeyoung replies. “The idea of leaving Sammy alone with them for even a minute longer…”

 

Jennie sighs and shakes her head. “I understand that, but you have Evie to think of. You can’t take even more risks.”

 

Chaeyoung nods and looks down. “I know. I’ll be more careful next time.”

 

“That’s all I can ask.”

 

Chaeyoung frowns and Jennie smiles at her. “You can’t always be the big damn hero, rushing in to save the day.”

 

“Even if I do it exceptionally well?”

 

Jennie chuckles. “Even if.”

 

The blonde sighs and leans back against the stacked cushions on her hospital bed. “I hope I can get out of here soon. I don’t like all this fuss and worry. And I really want to see my daughter.”

 

“I’m sure Evie is okay.” Jennie replies. “She’s with Lisa and you know Lisa, she becomes Evie’s age when they are together.” She joked. “And the Gowns have been taking thinks really well.”

 

“And you?”

 

Jennie hesitates for a moment. Seeing Chaeyoung like this had been even harder than she thought it would be, but she didn’t want the blonde to worry or think she’ll leave while she’s recovering,

 

“Honesty? It’s hard seeing you like this, and when I heard you were shot…” SHe trailed off, squeezing the blonde’s hand a little tighter.

 

Just then Eunae peeks into the room and gives them a warm, hopeful smile. “The doctor said we might be able to get you out of here tomorrow.” She told Chaeyoung. “They just want one more day of observation.”

 

“Thanks, Euane.”

 

“Don’t thank me.” The older woman replied. “Apparently Chaeyoung gave them an earful before we showed up.” She said chuckling and then leaving the room as Chaeyoung grinned sheepishly.

 

“I don’t like hospitals, I rather rest at home.”

 

“That 's fair. I don’t think anyone does like hospitals.”

 

Chaeyoung stays quiet for a second before giving the brunette a flirty grin. “Sooo...want to play nurse?”

 

“Seriously?|

 

The blonde shrugged. “I’m sure you could find a way to make a sponge bath y.” The blonde said, grinning suggestively at her.

 

Jennie chuckled. “I wouldn’t mind giving you a bath.”

 

“I think I’m feeling better already.”

 

The brunette pressed a kiss to her brow before rising from the bed. “You should rest for now. The better you feel, the faster you can get out of here.”

 

“See you tomorrow?”

 

Jennie Huffed. “Tomorrow? I’m staying the night.” She said, raising her finger to stop the other girl from protesting. “And before you say anything you are not asking, I’m offering and I want to.” She booped Chaeyoung’s nose. “Besides, it’ll be fun.” She then got back to sit besides the blonde on the bed. “I’ll get a jello sampler and we’ll spend the night talking about cabin decor.”

 

The sheriff smiled. “That sounds like fun.”

 

“I know.”

 

The brunette then closes the curtains, turns off the lights, turns on the TV on some lousy shopping channel and sits besides the blonde. The two spend the night swapping design ideas, the blonde making silly jokes that had Jennie throwing her head back in laughter, it was as if they were back in high school.

 

--------------------------------


 

The following day, true to their word, the doctors release Chaeyoung and they drive up to her house. Jennie left to her house to freshen up while Lisa helps the sheriff with a change of clothes and drives her up to the cabin

 

When Jennie gets inside she finds Evie downstairs coloring. The house was a bit of a mess as it had been delayed by Chaeyoung’s injury, so empty boxes have been pushed into various corners.

 

“Jennie!” Evie greets.

 

“Hey, sweetheart.” Jennie replied, placing a soft hand on her shoulder. “How are you?”

 

“I’m good, but you should tell mommy to rest more. She keeps trying to get out of bed.”

 

Of course she was. The blonde was stubborn.

 

“She won’t listen to me. Will you talk to her?”

 

“Just you wait til I talk to her, Eves.” Jennie said. “She’ll be better in no time.”

 

“Only if she listens to us. Thanks, Jennie.”

 

The brunette gives her one last smile before heading upstairs to Chaeyoung’s room. And by some miracle, she finds her in bed reading.

 

“I was half-expecting you to be climbing out the window. Evie says you haven’t been taking it easy.” She tells her with a stern voice and a pointed look.

 

“I hate lying in bed all day. It makes me restless.”

 

“You’re going to hurt yourself.” The brunette walked further into the room. “I don’t want you to pull your stitches or end up back in the hospital.”

 

Chaeyoung holds up her hands in surrender. “You’re right. I’m sorry.” Angry Jennie could be scary, really CHaeyoung was just choosing her battles.

 

“Good.”

 

The two of them fall silent for a few long moments. No matter how lighthearted they try to keep things, Jennie can feel a distance between them. Even worse, she knows that she’s the one pulling back, and that CHaeyoung can feel it.

 

“Jen…”

 

“Yeah?”

 

Chaeyoung takes a deep breath and looks briefly at the window before looking back at the brunete. “I know I came close to leaving Evie alone. She means the world to me.” She sighs, shaking her head. “I can’t stand the thought of what I almost put her through.”

 

Jennie nods, and her heart aches at the thought. “I know, and I hate it too.”

 

“I’m so sorry.” The blonde says earnestly. “I can’t stand how much I scared you. I know how hard this all is on you, and I just…” Her jaw tightens and her hands go into fist, she seems to struggle to get the words out as she’s overwhelmed with emotion. “I love you, Jennie. I’ve loved you for years.”

 

“Chae…”

 

The blonde chuckled dryly. “I think it’s the worst-kept secret in town that I settled for Suzie. I thought I was being noble. I thought you were happy.”

 

“I was.” Jennie replied. “For a time. At least I think I was.” She exhaled and pace around the room for a moment. “Lately I’ve wondered if I settled too.”

 

Chaeyoung offers her a small, reassuring smile. “We could have something great together. You feel it, don’t you?” She paused. “I always thought stuff like soulmates was just overly romantic drivel, but with you…”

 

“I love you too.” Jennie admitted, leaving Chaeyoung stunned. “Maybe longer than I realized.”

 

In that moment Jennie felt like a weight got off her chest and a look of utter joy and relief washes over Chaeyoung’s face. She knows it’ll make it even harder to say what she needs to, but she couldn’t let her think she didn’t feel the same way.

 

“You’ve made me so happy.” The blonde exclaims.

 

“You’ve made me happy too.” Jennie smiles. “I can’t put into words how much our time together has meant to me. You’re a great woman.”

 

Chaeyoung’s smile fades. “Why does it sound like you are leaving?”

 

“I’m so sorry, Rosie.”

 

“Wha...did something happen? Did I do something?” The blonde asked. “Just tell me what’s wrong so I can fix it.”

 

Jennie smiled sadly. “I’m not sure it’s something that can be fixed.”

 

“But we love each other. We can overcome anything if we try.”

 

Jennie sighs and shakes her head, struggling to get out the right words.

 

“For me it’s always been you, Jennie...”

 

“I have always loved you. Even before Byeol.” Jennie admitted with a teary smile. “Ever since high school, I’ve felt like you were the one.”

 

Chaeyoung took a couple of steps closer to the brunette. “Then why choose her?”

 

Jennie shrugged. “She was… safe. A life with her meant steady jobs and a house and children. I didn’t know what sort of woman you’d become. I should have had more faith in you.”

 

The blonde gives her a sad smile and shakes her head. “It’s okay, I understand. I would’ve chosen someone else too.”

 

“I try not to focus on what could have been.” Jennie says. “I don’t want to have regrets.”

 

“Then why are you walking away?” CHaeyoung asked. “Because that’s what you are doing right?”

 

“Chaeyoung…”

 

“I...I just don’t understand.” The blonde said.

 

Jennie takes a breath to brace herself for what she needs to say, the heartbreak in Chaeyoung’s eyes telling her that the blonde already knows what she’s gonna say which makes it even harder. She doesn't get the chance to though.

 

“You are not ready.” Chaeyoung whispered looking up at her.

 

Jennie nodded and shut her eyes hard as tears gathered in the corners. “I can’t just live my life knowing you’re in danger every time you go to work. I don’t know how I’d sleep at night.”

 

“My job will always be dangerous whether you’re here or not.” Chaeyoung said quietly. “But I’ll always come back.”

 

Jennie’s throat is tight as she tries to press on. She knew it would be hard to say goodbye, but not this hard. “I just don’t think I can do this again.”

 

“Do what?”

 

Jennie gestured around her. “A wife. Kids. A family. I don’t have it in me.”

 

Chaeyoung tightens her jaw and looks down.

 

“It’s just too overwhelming. I can’t be the steady partner you need.”

 

The blonde shakes her head, and she can see the hand that’s not in the brace opening and closing, she can tell the blonde is fighting to keep the frustration in.

 

“This is a mistake. You’re trying to throw all this away because you’re afraid.”

 

“Of course I’m afraid! You almost died!” Jennie snaps as tears ran down her cheeks.

 

The blonde was not better either. “What we have is special. This comes along once in a lifetime, Jennie.” She says. “It’s always been you.” Her voice nearly cracks on the final syllable. “For me, it’s always been you.”

 

Jennie looks up trying to push past the grief and the guilt. “I can’t.”

 

Chaeyoung’s strong jaw is taut as she clenches her teeth, but then she just nods, albeit, reluctantly. “Fine You go and figure out whatever you need to figure out.” She said. “I’ll be here.” She exhales. “I don't want to be with you if you don’t know for certain that you want to be with me and Evie. My daughter doesn’t need another woman walking out on her… and neither do I.”

 

Jennie feels fresh tears stinging her eyes as she tries to commit her face to memory. She looked so beautiful and proud, no matter how wounded and vulnerable she knows she’s feeling. She hates that she’s doing this to her, and she hates that she knows she’s not coming back.

 

“Rosie, I’m so sorry.”