Ch.8 - Lingering Feelings

A Lone Star 2

Byul opens the door to the rooftop and the breeze hits her. She sighs when taking a step to the nearest bench at the corner. She looks around and lucky for her that there is no one around so that she can vent her feelings. She kicks the stones on the ground while pouting. She feels guilty over the promise that she made with Chanyeol.

"I trust you, baby. There is no secret between us, okay?" 

Byul bites her inner lips and sighs heavier than before. She gets up from the bench and walks around the rooftop while looking over the building. When she almost finishes one round, there is a sound of people coming up to the rooftop. The door creaks open and Byul promptly looks at the door. She heard a laugh once she gets closer. When she peeks behind the walls, it was Jeonghan and Sowon. They are holding hands while laughing together. 

"This is great!" Sowon said while opening her arms, accepting the cold breeze on the rooftop. 

"Aren't you afraid?" Jeonghan asked this time with his hands inside the pocket. His smile is faded and replaced with a frown on the forehead. Sowon looks at him and pouts. She hugs his waist. Byul blinks at that sweetness. 

"I miss you. I never had a proper date with you, Oppa." Sowon said. Then she buried her face on his chest and Jeonghan rubs her back. "I really want to go out on a trip with you," she said.

"You're an idol, Sowon-ah." she pushes him with a pout on her face. Jeonghan giggled. "You want this. This is your dream." 

"But I want to be with you too." Sowon whines. 

"I'm here right now with you, am I?" Jeonghan said. "What is the reason I'm working here if not because of you?" Byul winces hearing Jeonghan's words. Sowon smiles and holding his hands.

"But you are so busy than me." Sowon rolled her eyes. 

"Sowon-ah. I'm an idol manager. Of course, I'm busy as you." Jeonghan rubs her cheek. "But at least I can see you more often in the company because Byul didn't have any schedule outside of the company until for the next few months." Byul clenched her fist. She walks away from the view and be on the other side of the rooftop where they can't see her. Byul takes a deep breath before exhaling it.

She didn't know why she feels mad over his words. Work here because of Sowon? Get to see Sowon more often because Byul is not working? Damn it! She curses in her brain. She feels blank thinking about that. But when her phone rings and Chanyeol is the caller, Byul starts to sighs and closed her eyes in calmness. Why she has to think about him anyway? She curses again. 

"Hey, babe," Byul answers the call.

"Hey, where you at? Should we grab our dinner?" Byul starts to walk to the door slowly. 

"Yeah, sure. I'm on the rooftop. Where are you? I'll go to you?" Byul pause when she notices there is a figure in front of her, standing still. She looked up. 

"Rooftop? I'll go to you. I already bought our dinner anyway." Chanyeol said on the phone. Byul froze with her eyes make contact with Jeonghan's eyes. She's suddenly in a world where only she and Jeonghan existed. 

"Babe? Babe? Byul?" Chanyeol calls her when she's not responding to his call. Byul blinks in realization. 

"Huh? Oh, no! I'll go down now. See you in the lounge. Okay? I'll be there." Byul said and ended the call when Chanyeol said okay. Byul looked down and waiting for Jeonghan to say something.

"I was with Sowon," he said in a slow tone, not knowing why. Byul keeps the phone in her pocket pants and looking up. 

"I don't care," she replied. Jeonghan pursed his lips. 

"You're okay?" he asked in concern. Byul looked away. "Hey, are you okay?" Jeonghan walks closer to her but Byul just pushes him away and walks past him. Jeonghan then chases her and blocked her way. Byul pants heavily and glares at him. 

"What's wrong?" he wants to know.

"Nothing. Chanyeol called me to eat dinner together. So if you excuse me, I have a date to attend." Byul said and hit his shoulder so he won't block his way. But Jeonghan has a different plan. He grabs her hands and turns her around.

"I need to know if you're really okay," Jeonghan said. Byul frowned.

"I'm fine. Let me go." Jeonghan cupped her face and Byul heart skips a beat. They stare at each other before Jeonghan looked away and turns around. Byul clenched her fist. She left the rooftop only to bump with Chanyeol at the staircase. Byul gulped as she steals a glance at the door, hoping Jeonghan didn't chase him. 

"Hey! Gotcha!" Chanyeol laughed. "We should eat dinner on the rooftop. More romantic." Chanyeol said while getting closer with Byul. Byul looks at the door again and it's not opening. A tiny bit inside of her, she wants Jeonghan to appear behind the door but she doesn't want Chanyeol to misunderstand her again. 

"It's cold. We should eat our dinner at the lounge. I preferred there." Byul climbs down the stairs before Chanyeol can climb up more to the rooftop and that behavior makes Chanyeol left confused. He follows her with a curious face. Jeonghan finally steps out behind the door. He wants to chase her earlier, but then he heard Chanyeol's voice and didn't want to make things complicated. Jeonghan closed his eyes and sighs. He shouldn't have lingering feelings towards Byul. She's obviously moving on in his eyes but his heart wants her. 

Byul takes a seat at the lounge. Luckily, there are no people in this hidden lounge that exclusively for an idol. Chanyeol arrived at the lounge with his eyes fixed on Byul. He puts down the food on the table and watches Byul grabs takes out the food from the paper bag. Chanyeol takes a seat in front of her and watching Byul setting up the food for him. 

"Okay. Let's eat!" she said with a smile. Chanyeol grabs her wrist before she can dig the food in. Byul looks at him in question. 

"Are you okay? You look weird to me." Chanyeol said. Byul gulped. "Who you are with on the rooftop just now?" Byul frowns in reaction. Chanyeol leans back and sighs. 

"Babe. There is no one." Byul tries to convince Chanyeol but his face didn't seem to believe her. "Chanyeol. You don't trust me?" Byul starts to getting angry at it even though she's the one that lies.

"I bump with Sowon on my way up. I bet she's not with you on the rooftop. She must be with her boyfriend." Byul starts to feel anxious in her stomach. Chanyeol closes his eyes after getting a reaction from her. 

"She's with Jeonghan, I think." Byul mumbling. Chanyeol looks at her. 

"She IS with Jeonghan," Chanyeol added a tone on that specific word. "But after she left, Jeonghan still on the rooftop because I only see her," Chanyeol said and lean forward to her. Byul holds her breath. "Did you meet him?"

"No." Byul automatic answer makes Chanyeol his lips and sigh. 

"Why do you need to lie, Byul-ah? If you-" 

"Okay. I see him okay. But I didn't go and talk with him. I didn't know that he is with Sowon anyway." she's lying about the last sentence to save a bit of herself in this argument. 

"Then, why do you need to lie? What is wrong with saying, oh yeah I bump into him at the rooftop. Why? Or did you guys did something upstairs that maybe Sowon found out about it? She looks tense while coming down." Byul rolled her eyes. 

"We did nothing. As I said, I didn't talk with him." 

"Then why don't you want to eat at the rooftop?" Chanyeol asked her. 

"Because it's cold." Byul answers. 

"Oh really? Should we go now to check the weather?" Chanyeol already gets up from his seat and it makes Byul panic. 

"Chanyeol!" he stops and faces her. "Wh-What are you doing? You don't trust me? I didn't mean to lie to you but I don't want you to think that I did something with Jeonghan by seeing just us at the rooftop. I didn't know that he is with Sowon. Why would I lie to you?" Byul grabs his wrist and gets closer to him. He looks angry at her. 

"There is no secret between us, okay? You said that. Please believe me." 

"Then you should just tell me. Rather than makes me think about it." Chanyeol pulls his wrist and left the lounge without touching the food. Byul gets weak as she sits down. She looks at the food before closed her eyes. After calming herself, she packed the food back to the paper bag and bring it together to Mr.Lee's room. She walks there and asked the secretary if he has a visitor. Once the secretary lets her go, she walks inside the room. Mr.Lee is surprised to see her but when Byul coming in with a paper bag and a sad face, it's not a good sign. 

"Are you okay, Byul-ah?" Byul stops and stares at Mr.Lee. 

"Stop asking if I'm okay or not. Two people asking is enough for today." she sighs and plumps herself down at the couch. Mr.Lee approached her. He takes a look at the paper bag and sighs. 

"You fought with Chanyeol? Or Jeonghan?" he guessed. Byul glares at him. "Chanyeol. Maybe Jeonghan is the cause." Byul rolled her eyes at the right guess from Mr.Lee. "Care to tell me?" 

"Chanyeol didn't trust me," Byul said. "Well, I didn't mean to lie, but I thought it would help him stop thinking bad about me being alone with Jeonghan. We didn't do anything anyway." Byul said in frustration. 

"Can tell me from the start?" Mr.Lee is ready to hear after sitting on the couch. Byul looks at him and takes a deep breath before heavily exhaling it. She is taking her sweet time to start the story. 

"I was on a rooftop." Byul looks at him while carefully starts the story. "I was alone." she pauses again and waits for his reaction but when there is no reaction, Byul her lips to continue the story. 

"Then suddenly, I heard a voice. It was Sowon and Jeonghan. They are having a good time so I didn't bother to say hi or whatsoever." Byul tells the story slowly. "Then I got a call from Chanyeol. He wants to eat dinner together. I said I was on a rooftop. He said he'll come but I said just meet at the lounge. Then he said okay." Byul takes a breath again. 

"Then I bump into Jeonghan. He said Sowon was with him. I knew that so I just ignore him. Then-"

"Why are you ignoring him?" Mr.Lee asked with a frowning forehead. Byul looks at him with puppy eyes. She blinks while looking away because she doesn't know how to answer it.

"W-Well... I don't want to bother him." Byul said without confidence in her voice. 

"Oh really?" Mr.Lee leans back. Byul flips her hair and sighs. 

"Then, I go out of the rooftop-" 

"Where is Sowon at that time?" Mr.Lee asked. Byul looked at him, disbelief for trying to question her rather than want to hear a full story. 

"I don't know. Rooftop...maybe." she wants to answer that but she knows for a fact that she left already. 

"She left, huh? Because that trip to the rooftop with a boyfriend is not in her schedule. And hearing a ringtone on the rooftop, she predicts someone else is there and not just them. So she left to avoid trouble and scandal issues. Am I right?" Mr.Lee gives a conclusion that makes sense for Byul as well. 

"Might be." 

"So now, you and Jeonghan are alone on the rooftop." Mr.Lee tries to throw a bait there. 

"For that split second. After I hang up on Chanyeol, I ignore him and go out of the rooftop. There, I bump into Chanyeol. But that-" Byul pause. Mr.Lee raises his eyebrows, figuring out the story. 

"You don't want Chanyeol to think that only you and Jeonghan on the rooftop, you drag him to the lounge and lie to him?" Mr.Lee finishes the story. Byul nods hesitantly. 

"And now, he is mad with me." Byul sighs. 

"Why lie though?" Mr.Lee asked. 

"Because I don't want-" 

"Now it's getting worse than it supposed to be." Mr.Lee cuts her. Byul palms her face. "One. You shouldn't lie to him. Two. You shouldn't ignore Jeonghan." Byul looks at him. 

"I shouldn't ignore Jeonghan?" she looks at him in confusion. 

"Why did you ignore him?" Byul frowns forehead in relax as she sighs. "You are jealous of him and Sowon?"

"No!" Byul replied right away. 

"Then why did you ignore him and block Chanyeol from knowing that you are with him on the rooftop?" Mr.Lee is questioning her to make herself doubt herself. 

"Mr.Lee, I'm not jealous with Jeonghan and Sowon and I don't want to let Chanyeol know because I don't want him to think bad of anything. I didn't do anything with Jeonghan. He was with Sowon. Yes, Chanyeol knows that Jeonghan is with me because he bumps into Sowon while coming up to the rooftop. And I was stupid for not telling the truth but... you know why." 

"Yeah. You told me already but I still didn't get it." Mr.Lee pushes her. Byul grunts. 

"We promised to not have a secret between us. But I keep two secrets from him already. One, this rooftop issue and another one is another rooftop issue." 

"Byul." he sounds firm but Byul didn't look at him, so she continued. 

"Why rooftop though? First, at my rooftop. Where he kisses me and now-" 

"Byul!" he sounds firmer and it makes Byul pause and looks at him. "I think you should stop here." Byul pouts. 

"Why? What's wrong? Do you have-" 

"He kisses you?" a voice from behind makes Byul froze. She looks at Mr. Lee's face and Byul turns around slowly. She gets ups right away when Chanyeol is standing behind her near the door. He looks at her in shock. Byul runs to him and grabs his hands. 

"Babe. It's not what you're thinking right now. That time-" 

"He kisses you?" he looks at her. Byul's tears streaming down the cheek. "Did you like it?" 

"I-I-'m not enjoying it," Byul said. 

"Oh really? Why? Because it was on the rooftop and not on the bed?" Chanyeol said. Byul lips are trembling due to cries. "He kisses you? Did you kiss him back?" Byul didn't answer but keep crying. "You kiss him back?" Chanyeol takes a step backward in shock. Mr.Lee comes to the rescue. 

"Okay, guys. Please have a seat and talk this out. I'm out of this room. Take as much as time that you need. Nobody will disturb, okay." Mr.Lee then steps out of the room. Chanyeol moves to the couch and has a seat with his eyes closed. There is a tear coming out of his eyes as Byul approaching. She takes a seat next to him on the couch and grabs his hands.  

"Chanyeol," she calls him. 

"You betrayed my trust, Byul. Since the beginning," he said with a shaking voice. She never heard him crying or talking in that tone. She is getting afraid. 

"Babe." 

"I told you that taking him back is not the best decision but you are so stubborn and saying that you are not into him anymore. And now what! You kiss him?" 

"Chanyeol. That time, we were talking about Sowon. He was being so honest and jealous of us. We can be in one house and express our love and he wants that with Sowon. He gets carried with his story and kisses me. But it was for a second. Please, baby. Please trust me." 

"Trust?" Chanyeol scoffs. "I trust you so many times, Byul. But you're keeping a secret, didn't help me in continue to trust you. You break the trust, okay? You betray me and our relationship." Chanyeol said, wiping his tears after the finish. 

"Babe." 

"Do we have reason to continue this?" Chanyeol asked after few seconds of silence. Byul stunned. "Do you still love me?" 

"I-I-I do. I love you." she's pants hard. 

"Do you?" Chanyeol looks at her, disbelief. 

"Chanyeol? Babe? I love you so so so much. Please. This is just a mistake. It didn't happen again." 

"Were you kissing him on the rooftop just now?" Chanyeol asked. 

"No! I didn't. We didn't do anything. I got a phone call from you then hang up then I bump into him. But I didn't say anything and left." Byul explains again. 

"Then why are you so afraid of letting me know? We can just casually invite him to dinner as well. I didn't think of anything, Byul but you lied to me and it makes me think maybe you are cheating on me." 

"No! No! I didn't cheat on you, babe. Please." Byul begs and begs until she plops with her knees on the ground. Chanyeol shakes his head. 

"Should we end this?" Chanyeol threatens her. 

"No! I don't want to lose you, Chanyeol. Please." 

"Why? Why don't you want to lose me? You kiss him." Chanyeol gets up and Byul follows him. 

"It was a mistake. Please." Byul is begging with her face is wet because of tears. After a minute of silence from both of them but sobbing is still in the air, Chanyeol turns to Byul. 

"Do you love me?" 

"I love you, Chanyeol. I love you so much." 

"Do you love Jeonghan?" Byul looks at him. 

"I don't. No more." 

"Are you sure?" Chanyeol asked again for confirmation. Byul nodding her head. "But why do I sense that you still like him? Ever since you are fighting with Mr.Lee to get him back to your side?" Byul shakes her head to deny the accusation from Chanyeol. 

"Or you just need me to show off to him that you can get someone else?" 

"No. Never in mind, Chanyeol. Please, don't be like this. I really love you. I do not doubt that I'm loving you. Please." Byul hugs him but Chanyeol pushes her away slowly. 

"Let's take a break. Us," he said and it makes Byul froze. "I think you need to clear your mind before you really know who are you in love with." Chanyeol cupped her face before leaving the room. Mr.Lee walks inside after a few seconds. He grabs Byul and she immediately drops down on the ground. Mr.Lee manages to catch her in time.

 

Write -23/3/2021 | 12:09PM

Re-check - 4/5/2021 | 11:53AM