Ch.10 - Breaking Up

A Lone Star 2

It's been a week since Byul and Chanyeol had a break in their relationship. A few days after a fight in Mr.Lee's room between Jeonghan and Chanyeol, the choreographer did fly to Italy without a word to Byul. Mr.Lee passed the news to Byul while they are having a meeting and after Chanyeol is on the airplane. Byul didn't take the news in a good condition as she sobs in the corner of the president's room. Jeonghan is still her manager as Mr.Lee needs him to take care of her as he is the only one other than Chanyeol that knows her better. 

One day after a meeting with Woozi, Jeonghan and Byul return back to home. She goes straight to the bedroom but Jeonghan holds her arms and leads them to the kitchen. Jeonghan pushes her shoulder down at the dining table while he left to the kitchen to cook something for them. Byul watches Jeonghan as he moves around in the kitchen. It reminds her back when she used to watch him with a smile on the face while he was preparing a meal for her just like right now. But here, she is watching without any emotion other than miss and sad towards her current boyfriend.

Byul leans back on the chair but still watching Jeonghan grabbing vegetables from the fridge. Then he cuts it in front of her so she had a full view of how he is cutting the vegetables. Then something popped into her mind. She gets up and walks towards the countertop. Jeonghan looked up and Byul is in front of her staring at the vegetables. 

"Should we date again, Jeonghan-ah?" he stops cutting the vegetables and giving her a look. Byul then shifts her eyes to his face and a faded smile appeared on her face.

"Or should I end things with Chanyeol?" Jeonghan sighs and puts down the knife. He walks over to her and pats her back. 

"Byul, don't think too much about it. When time is right, then you'll know what to do." he leads her back to the chair and sits her down. Jeonghan kneels down and supports himself by placing his palm on her knee. 

"Chanyeol wants to give time for you to think what's best for you. But he also needs time to think about this. He loves you, I know that. I can see him through. But you also need to take a break from thinking about all of this. There is no rush into it." her eyes getting teary while remembering the memories with Chanyeol. 

"Do you still love Sowon?" Jeonghan his lips. "If you don't-" 

"I'm going to end it with Sowon." Byul looks at her in surprise. "But not to be with you. I cheated on her and she knew it. I don't want to act that I don't know and continue to be with her. It's unfair for her." a tear drops when Byul blinks. 

"I did the same with Chanyeol." 

"No!" Jeonghan firmly said it. "You didn't cheat on him. You were just keeping a secret from him. It is bad. But, it's me that start this. Look, Byul. I do want to be closer with you, to be your manager because I want to be with you again. I want you again." Byul keeps crying. Jeonghan cupping her face so that she will be looking at him. 

"I did not kiss you on the rooftop thinking it was Sowon. I lied." Byul closed her eyes and tears keep coming out. "I'm sorry. I lied. But I didn't dare to ruin your life again. I just want to be next to you. At first yeah, I want you again but after seeing you are happy with Chanyeol, I didn't dare to do that. I don't think I can give you that smile like how Chanyeol did. He is your happiness. Like you said." 

"I'm sorry." Jeonghan keeps saying that until she rubs his head. 

"It's okay, Jeonghan. I admitted. I, maybe do want to see how's your life is after I'm leaving. I maybe did feel a bit jealous whenever you mention Sowon or seeing you guys are so happy makes me feel weird. I don't know. I did hate it when you said you were imagining kissing Sowon on the rooftop. My bad too." Byul said and wipes her tears. Jeonghan looks at her as his eyes also get teary. 

"We really are moving on, aren't we?" Jeonghan tries to bring a smile to her. 

"I did. With Chanyeol. Whatever decision that we make now, is us taking a step away from the past." Byul sniffs. 

"Yeah, we are." Jeonghan hugs her and rubs her back. "And I'm really sorry for being a bad...friend." the last words, he whispers and said it as something is off his shoulder. 

"I need to get Chanyeol back," Byul said. "I know what I want now." 

"We'll get him. But for now," Jeonghan breaks the hug and gets up. "I need to cook you a meal. He asked me to take care of you." Byul nodding her head. That day, both of them finally feel closure over their past. They both love each other but now, it's time to naturalized those feelings as s friends. 

The next day, Byul still walking into the office with her sunglasses. She's been crying every night for the past week. She is following Jeonghan who walks at her front to the lift lobby. They get inside the elevator and push the button for the vocal studio room floor. They reached there and Byul immediately opens the door that engraved her name on the door. Yes, she has her own private studio room along with another producer because she is one of the producers in the company. She produces her song, every time since the early beginning of her career. 

Byul turns on everything that needs to be on and dims the light. She grabs the guitar and takes a seat on the couch. Jeonghan puts down the bag and takes a look around the studio. It didn't change a bit. The gifts that he gives to her, still on the shelf with other presents from fans. Then suddenly, Byul plays the guitar and he figures the melody. He heard the melody before while discussing it with Woozi but he never knows what is the lyrics of the song. 

"La, LaLaLa, LaLaLa
Oh, Oh, Oh, Oh
La, LaLaLa, LaLaLa
Eoduwotdeon nae ane niga naeryeo ongeoya
Machi hanjulgi daleoreom..." 

Byul stops and sighs. She looked up at Jeonghan and she's finding his reaction is funny. She puts down the guitar and moves to the table with Jeonghan eyes still staring at the guitar. 

"Is that the song?" Jeonghan asked after a minute more of silence. Byul hums while nodding her head. 

"Yeah. The song that Mr.Lee allows me to do a single comeback." Byul shows her smiles. 

"That is good." Jeonghan praises her. 

"Thank you. I know it already." Byul gives him a thumbs up. Jeonghan shakes his head and takes the guitar then puts it in its place. "You're leaving, huh?" Byul asked when seeing Jeonghan taking his bag from the couch. 

"Yeah. Do you want anything?" Jeonghan turns around. 

"Nothing. I call you when I'm done here." Byul said and turns her back to Jeonghan then he left. Jeonghan had one direction that he needs to go which is Mr.Lee's office. Jeonghan arrives at the president's floor and knocks on his door after been given permission by the secretary. Jeonghan walks inside and bows politely to his uncle. 

"Oh, Jeonghan-ah. Come in. What's up? You said you want to talk about something." Mr.Lee waits for him to sits down in front of him. Jeonghan pulls out a white envelope from his bag and slides it on his table to him. Mr.Lee figures the context of the letter by seeing the big words of resignation at the front of the envelope. 

"What is it, Jeonghan-ah?" Mr.Lee asked although he knew. 

"As what it is, Mr.Lee. I resigned from any job offer from this company." Jeonghan said. Mr.Lee takes and opens the letter with a heavy heart. He glances at Jeonghan. When he opens the letter and reads it, he gives him a smile. 

"So you'll resign after Byul makes her comeback?" Jeonghan nods. "Are you sure?" 

"I'm going to end things with Sowon too." Mr.Lee is shocked. 

"Jeonghan-ah, y-you don't need to do that. Their 3rd year anniversary will happen by the time Byul is doing her comeback. You can publicly date her if you want." Mr.Lee suggested but Jeonghan shakes his head. 

"I ruined two ladies' life, Mr.Lee. Byul and Sowon. Sowon knows that I cheated on her and I don't think I deserve her anymore." Mr.Lee holds his own hands and placing them at the table. 

"Jeonghan. You need to think twice about this. Sow-" 

"I think about it every day, Samchun," Jeonghan calls him by the friendly name between family, and that stopping Mr.Lee to convince him. "Byul deserve Chanyeol. Sowon deserves someone better and I... need to get away from them." Mr.Lee sighed listening to his final decision. 

"Are you really sure you can do this? Resigning from this job? Breaking up with Sowon?" 

"Yeah, I am. A hundred percent, confident." Jeonghan sighs with a smile after that. "I gotta go, Samchun. I have the stuff to do. Excuse me." he gets up and walks to the door without waiting for Mr.Lee to saying anything. "Oh, by the way. Can you please not telling Byul first about my resignation? I'll let her know when it's time."

"Okay. Your right." Mr.Lee said and Jeonghan disappears behind the door. He sighs and leans back from the chair. He stares at his big window glass with a lot of thought in his mind. 

Jeonghan opens the door to the rooftop and goes to the bench near the small fountain at the corner of the rooftop park. Sowon said she'll be here any minute and he ran up to get here first before Sowon. 5 minutes passed and Sowon still didn't appear so he decided to call her. While she is dialing the number, the door opens and Sowon appeared behind the door. She's running to him and Jeonghan waits for her with open wide arms. Sowon jumps into his arms and Jeonghan grunts due to the impact. 

"Oppa, I miss you!" Sowon said that because she just got back from Japan after attending a show there with her group. 

"I miss you too, Sowon-ah." he kisses her temple, and Sowon suddenly aware of her surroundings. "Don't worry. No one is up here." Sowon then gives her a sweet smile and hugging him again. 

"Oppa! I love you so much!" Sowon confessed. Jeonghan rubs her hair and kisses her head. 

"I love you too, Sowon." then, they spend the next hour on the rooftop with food that Jeonghan brings. They talked and they kissed. They feed each other food and cuddle. 

"Sowon-ah," Jeonghan calls her while she's laying on his thigh.

"Yes, Oppa?" 

"I have something to ask you." Sowon gets up and crawls closer to Jeonghan. He tucked the hair behind her ear. Sowon looks at him with an anticipated expression. Jeonghan his lips before he sits upright to face her. Sowon suddenly blinks with nervousness with his posture. 

"Sowon, I need you to answer me honestly and no lie." Sowon pouts. 

"Oppa, you make me scare." Jeonghan lets out a chuckle with her cute face. 

"No, it is not but I really need to ask you seriously and you need to answer me." Sowon then takes a deep breath and stares at him. Jeonghan grabs her hands and holds them. 

"Go on." 

"About me and Byul." Sowon eyes looked away as she avoided eye contact with Jeonghan. But Jeonghan pulls her hands to makes her face him properly. "You knew about me and Byul, right?" 

Sowon chuckled nervously. "What about you and Byul, Oppa?" she makes an innocent face as she pretends that she didn't know anything. Jeonghan closed his eyes and face her again. 

"No lie, Sowon-ah." Sowon takes her hands away from Jeonghan and rubs her neck. "Sowon-ah." 

"Oppa, why we even want to talk about that?" Sowon still avoids eye contact. 

"Because I need to know why you act like you don't know but you know?" Jeonghan asked with a begging tone. Sowon sighs. 

"It's in the past, Oppa. I d-" 

"I love her." Sowon froze. "I am her manager again because I want to be with her." Sowon eyes getting teary and her chest seems stuck. Jeonghan grabs her hands again and rubs them. "Sowon, look at me." he touches her chin and makes her face him. Sowon looked down but when she blinks, Jeonghan can see a tear dropping down on the ground. 

"I know. This is wrong. While I'm in a relationship with you, I have another relationship behind your back. That's the end. But when she's coming back-" Sowon looked up with a glare. Jeonghan pauses but then he sighs. "-I can't help myself to want her again." Sowon pulls away from his hands but Jeonghan aggressively holds her hands. 

"Let me go!" Sowon yelled. 

"Sowon! I need you to listen to me!" 

"Oppa cheated on me again!" Sowon said and Jeonghan can't deny that fact. 

"I did! And I'm sorry!" she is struggling to let go of him but Jeonghan hugs her and trapped her between his legs with his arms around her. "Sowon!" she stops fighting and sobbing in his chest. 

"I'm sorry. I know I shouldn't." Sowon sobbing is louder than his voice. She is devastated. 

"W-Why did you tell me th-this? I ke-keep it to myself! You shouldn't tell me about this!" Sowon stuttered while hitting his arms and chest. Jeonghan didn't avoid nor stopping her. 

"I ruined her life, Sowon. Because of me, she lost Chanyeol." Sowon palms her face. "And I don't want to ruin your life too." Sowon shakes her head. She grabs his sleeves and holds it tightly. 

"I want to be with you, Oppa," she said in sobbing. Jeonghan shakes his head.

"Sowon. Hey, listen to me." he cupped her face. "Being with you is so nice. I love you but I can't deny the fact that I love Byul too. So much." Sowon wipes her tear while still sobbing. 

"Oppa, I forgive you. Please don't leave me." Sowon can sense where is this going. Jeonghan smiles and wipes the tears while cupping her face. He kisses her and her forehead. 

"I have to, Sowon-ah. That's the only way I can end this madness. I love you Sowon, I'm sorry." 

"I don't care! No! You are not leaving me, Oppa! I don't want to lose you!" 

"You didn't, Sowon. I'm the one that losing you because of my greedy. I can't keep both so I need to let go of both. We need to break up, Sowon-ah." Jeonghan cupped her face so she can hear clearly what he is saying right now. Sowon hugs him.

"Oppa!" they are hugging for such a quite time until Sowon is calming down. She sniffs and looks at Jeonghan with her red eyes. 

"Sowon, I really hope you understand why am I making this decision. I'm leaving this company. I'm leaving this country." Sowon lips trembling. "I will work with my dad in the US or Japan. Whenever." Sowon looks down. She still crying but not as bad as before. 

"You really leaving me?" 

"Yes," Jeonghan replied shortly. Sowon sniffs and looks up. She wipes her tears and kisses Jeonghan intensely before she gives up. She gets up and Jeonghan is waiting for her next moves. He is just staring at her as she back off from the bench. 

"I don't hate you, Oppa. I respect your decision." At that time, Jeonghan eyes avoided her. He gritted his teeth and clenched his fist. This time, he feels guilty for making Sowon be in pain while promoting. 

"I understand and I don't hate Byul either. I saw it in your eyes, Oppa. How much you are happy with her. You are in love with her." Sowon wipes her tears. "Oppa," she calls him. Jeonghan force to look at her. 

"Let's end this." Jeonghan closed his eyes and this round, his tears streaming down to his cheek. "We can be friends the next time we met." Jeonghan nods his head, agreeing to her words. They can't befriend right now as they are not in a condition that they can. Jeonghan gets up and walks to Sowon. 

"I gotta go, Oppa. Thanks for everything." she turns around and walks away from him. Jeonghan pause there and smiles as she left. This is for the best. 

 

Write - 25/3/2021 | 12:40PM

Re-check - 5/5/2021 | 3:22PM

 

* This chapter is hard. I'm writing this chapter with a sad song in the background so I need to pause here and there while writing because the emotion just hit me. But I don't know about you. I'm sorry if this chapter sounds like a rush and bad.