Chapter 4

Stupid Cupid

“You’ve been spacing out a lot lately, is there something wrong?”

 

“Oh! What? Nothing, I’m fine. Yeri” Joy stretched her arms to shake the thoughts away.

 

“Are you sure? You haven’t pestered the president yet”

 

“I am not pestering the president! I’m… loving her”

 

“Yeah sure if that’s what you wanted to call it”

 

I actually felt guilty every time I looked at the president. I have to make a choice.



 

As the time of the update release is slowly approaching, Wendy’s time inside the office is getting longer to do more reviews and checking for bugs from the testing. The president herself is making sure that the quality of the update will match the expectation of the users.

 

“Seems like the president will take another overtime. She’s making sure everything is on the right track.” Joy listened to their coworker Taeyong, the guy behind the GUI design, who is ready to leave the office, and beside him is Yeri who is also ready to leave.

 

“How about you unnie, aren’t you going to leave?” Yeri asked her.

 

“I think I’ll just stay for a while”

 

“Okay then, don’t love the president too much” Yeri winked at her and everyone left in the room laughed at what she said.

 

“Awww man, I am no match to the president for Joy’s heart!”

 

“We’ll be going now, please take care of the president”

 

Then they say their goodbye with laughter before leaving the office.

 

“Let’s see… Seems like we need to feed her with some love” Joy said to herself before going to the nearest restaurant. She could only wish they were open even at this late hour. After a while she came back with bibimbap and mandu, she is sure the president hasn't had her meals because the last time she saw her out of the office was when she bought her coffee in the afternoon.

 

Joy knocked on the door thrice before letting herself in. “I have some food for you”

 

Startled Wendy just let Joy get inside the office and set the food in front of her. “Thank you!”

 

“It is my job to make sure that the employees are doing well and that includes the president” she smiled sweetly to the president whose face is starting to get red.

 

“I’m not used to this… so thank you” the president tried to cover her warming cheeks. Joy found it so adorable, the tiny president looked like a small squirrel when it stuffed food in its mouth.

 

Wendy and Joy had a joyful meal. The president was relieved that someone joined her in her office and ate with her and talked about random things away from work. She was glad even in a short time, she could think about anything but work.

 

This became their routine for the following days. Joy would stay longer than usual, order food ahead of time so she could just pick it up later and sometimes walk her to the bus stop just to make sure that she will not stay too long.

 

“Is there something bothering you?” Wendy asked one night when she noticed Joy spacing out.

 

Joy snapped back in reality and shook her head, “Nothing, I’m just… feeling thankful for being here. Thank you for hiring me.”

 

Wendy chuckled, “What are you saying? I should be the one thanking you for having you here. You just made this place much livelier and everyone was eager to work. What magic is that?!”

 

“No, don’t say that this place is already amazing even before I joined. I just want you to know that I’m happy to be here with you just enjoying this moment. I will miss this…” she whispered the last part but the president heard her.

 

“Are you going somewhere?”

 

“Wh- I mean… wha-what if… are we going to do this even after the update release? I’m sure you will not take unnecessary overtimes anymore.” Joy lied.

 

“We can always do this, you know. We can go outside of this office wherever you want.”

 

“Wait… is the president asking me out?”

 

“If you think that this is asking you out… then I am asking you out.”

 

“Hmmm… I will think about it, you still have to fall in line, Miss President” she joked.

 

That night Joy once again walked with the president until she reached the bus stop. She can’t let any bad people do something to her precious president, she joked. But the president seems to enjoy it.


 

*

Yeri heard one time that pressing Alt and Tab keys together is a command that will jump from one window to your desired window. At first, she didn’t understand this, what do they mean when they say jump from a window to another? Will it make her computer jump to a window, literally? She is not sure so she just did it one day, holding tightly on her computer one hand on the monitor while the other pressing the keys.

 

Alt + Tab

 

It didn’t move. But the screen shows her the currently active applications and by holding the Alt key and pressing the Tab key one more time will make you choose which app to be on the screen. Oh, so this is what they mean when they say jumping from one window to another.

 

Since then she took advantage of this acquired information. It was helpful on doing multiple tasks easily but she often does this to be stealthy, to pretend that she’s working really hard but she’s just goofing around as usual.

 

“Good morning Boss” Alt+Tab

 

 

“Boss…” Alt+Tab “Yeah, yeah don’t mind me”

 

 

“Taeyong-ah may I see what you’re saying…” "Yes, president so..." Alt+Tab

 

 

“Let’s talk about it here…” Alt+Tab “Okay President, as I was saying…”

 

 

Wait a minute…

 

“Can I talk to you for a bit Boss Unnie?” Yeri asked once the president was done talking to another employee.

 

“Sure, do you want to talk about it in the office?”

 

“No need, this will be short. I know what you are doing, I’ve seen that trick many times...we get it, you sprayed some perfume today and you’re dressed really well. You’re trying to get Joy’s attention right?” Fortunately, Yeri chose to whisper everything to her but Wendy’s red face can give a clue on what they are talking about right now.

 

“You can just ask her out later. And I’m sure she won’t decline you. Don’t worry. Just stop passing here in front of us you’re becoming a distraction” Yeri was sure and the president admits that she was passing by unnecessarily though she won’t admit that it’s because of Joy she defended that she needed to get out of her office once in a while.

 

The president got embarrassed and stopped passing by. Yeri noticed it, the arrows had bloomed.


 

*

That night just like the usual once the other employee just left, Joy entered the president’s office just to check on her before getting their meal but Wendy is preparing to leave with her coat already on her.

 

“You’re leaving early?” Joy confusedly asked.

 

“No, wait, have you ordered food yet? I’m thinking we should eat outside this time?” Wendy reasoned.

 

“Yeah I’ve ordered already but we can eat there…”

 

“Great! Let’s go” and to add up to Joy’s jumping heart, the tiny president hooked her arms on hers. This is the closest she’s ever been with the president and she noticed that she is almost a full head taller than her, she’s not complaining though for her this looks perfect for resting her head on top of Wendy’s and maybe Wendy’s head is perfect for her shoulder.



 

*

“I will report this, the president using her powers to ask me out. Unbelievable!” Joy and Wendy had a small fight over who will pay for the whole order. Joy reasoned that she’d already paid for half of it upon ordering and so she should be the one paying the whole of it but Wendy refused as she was always the one paying before and now it is her time to pay.

 

“Report me to the HR? Sure, go ahead. I’m going to say she enjoyed the meal and the company.”

 

“Hmmm… I’m not sure now if she’s going to listen to me. The meal is really great though.”

 

In the end, Wendy won and paid for their meal. As much as she wanted to drive Joy home, because this time she brought her car, but the girl refused saying that she would get home late. She would need the energy for their update the next day and so she said okay but at least let her go with her at the bus stop. Also, she got a kiss on the cheek before the other girl hopped inside the bus.

 

Wendy couldn’t erase the smile on her face even after their little talk on the phone. It was supposed to be a: “Hey I just got home safely” but then extended until they were talking for almost an hour as if their date wasn’t enough already. Thanks to Joy who said that they should stop and rest. That’s the best rest for Wendy.


We only have a few chapters left :P