Chapter 2

Stupid Cupid

Wendy Shon.


 

It’s hard to be the CEO and the senior programmer of your own company, Wendy Shon started off as a young programmer who took the risk of start-up, and luckily a company got interested in her app and supported her. When she believed that she could stand on her own, she made her own. Now her social media app, Lvl Up, became the fastest and at the top download of app stores.

 

Lvl Up, is a social media platform where you meet people with the same interests and level up with them. Setting up meetings and scheduling online gameplays are just some ways to level up. You can also be friends with the users and talk with them through the messaging feature. Wendy refuses to call it a dating app, this is not just for a pair of people this is for a group of them or maybe a community of them. Posting inappropriate pictures or contents is prohibited in a group but she can’t be sure if there are mean people abusing the private chat feature of it and she’s now working to prevent it and planning to implement it in the update release.

 

The update has been stressing her out lately with a lot of things to be considered before choosing the right features to add or to change.

 

To get off from stress, she often visits the cafe across from her establishment and takes her daily dose of caffeine, and sometimes chats with other people there. 

 

"Can I have Iced Americano and a cruffle?"

 

"That would be 70." She handed her card and waited for the process to end, "We will just give it to your table"

 

"Thank you Joohyun" the other girl returned her smile and nodded for her to wait.

 

After a while, her order is coming to her, “How was your update going on so far?” the barista asked as she placed the CEO’s order and took the seat across from her.

 

Aside from her alpha testing team, she has an outside user for instant feedback - her friend, Joohyun.

 

“I’ve hired a new programmer and she’s doing great. She can do the things I asked for and she’s a funny girl.” It's been a week since she hired Yeri and things are doing fine, she is not rushing to have HR as what’s important at the moment is having a new programmer.  

 

“That’s nice! How about your HR?”

 

“I’ve interviewed one but I’m not yet sure about her… she looks great but I felt something weird. I didn’t feel it when I interviewed Yeri, that’s the name of the new programmer by the way.”

 

"Oh, is that her?" Wendy followed the line of sight of Joohyun. On the other side of the road, a small girl holding a laptop. It is indeed Yeri.

 

"Boss unnie!"

 

Yeri sat beside her and set her laptop with an obvious frown on her face. 

 

"Why are you here? Is there any problem?"

 

"Yeah! Your employees are the problem, they keep on teasing me. I'm the only girl in the programming department. Other female employees are so far from me!" 

 

Wendy and Joohyun chuckled at the other girl's choice of words, this was the first time they heard 'Boss unnie'.

 

That's when Yeri realized that there was another person at the table. "Hi, I'm Yeri, Boss unnie’s newest girl employee." 

 

“Hi, I’m Joohyun, nice to meet you” Joohyun reached Yeri’s waiting hand. 

 

“Can we be friends?”

 

“S-sure” the older girl smiled at the cute antics of the new girl, she looks fun to be with as Wendy told her. 

 

“That’s cool!” 

 

Yeri must be that deprived of female interaction, she looks excited and happy seeing the other girl, Wendy thought.

 

“So… you’re supposed to be working but you’re here instead. As your boss I have the right to scold you, you know” the boss unnie reminded her.

 

“Please save that for later Boss unnie, let me finish this in peace”

 

“Is it that hard for you working with those guys?”

 

“With those annoying guys! Why don’t you hire the last one you interviewed and make her sit near me so that you and I can be productive?” 

 

Is this the sign for Wendy to hire that pretty girl? She is not rushing to have one though but she has an impressive profile to ignore. 



 

Wendy ends up hiring Joy Park.






 

Park Sooyoung/Joy.

 

It’s been a month since she first stepped into this company called Balloon Company, a well-known company making top mobile applications. She is not a big fan of technology, she is just there as an intern following the secretary’s commands. And she has to get that recommendation letter.

 

Based on the news she has to read, this company’s performance wasn’t going well in terms of new users because of a tough competitor: the Lvl Company. So far all she did is to take down notes of every meeting on how to get back to the top spot, which all ended up to the question: what are the secrets of the Lvl Company?

 

Sooyoung is currently in a meeting, listening carefully to whoever is talking. This time it is about how they can possibly get information about this company. They’ve downloaded the app and all but they only gathered information about the date of an upcoming update release. 

 

“This is impossible! We need time to fully understand how this thing works and the update will be coming soon we’re running out of time. Do any of you have suggestions?”

 

“We should send a spy!” requested a lady she wasn’t sure she had seen before. 

 

That’s stupid, she thought but she has to write it down, so write she did. Send a spy…

 

“Wait, who are you?”

 

“I’m Kim Taeyeon, sir”

 

Oh yes, Kim Taeyeon. Send a spy… by Kim Taeyeon that Kim Taeyeon must be stupid, Sooyoung added. 

 

“O-okay Kim Taeyeon… but who are we going to send? We need these people more than ever now that we’re facing a problem we should utilize our people to the fullest.”

 

“Someone that can attract anyone’s eyes and is very attentive to their surroundings… her” 

 

Kim Taeyeon pointed at Sooyoung who was startled by the sudden attention.

 

“Me?” she pointed at herself to confirm the obvious. 

 

Kim Taeyeon ignored her and continued, “I’ve visited their website and they are looking for new people you’re fit to become their H arm! H-H… HR!” 

 

“Hmm… actually that seems possible. We can do that.” The president agreed then followed by other people in the meeting as if they are hypnotized by this stupid Kim Taeyeon.

 

“B-but you just said that we need people now more than ever?”

 

“Don’t worry the secretary can handle herself.” The president reassured her.

 

“I can?”

 

“Yes, you can!” 

 

“But...” 

 

Joy tried to complain but the secretary immediately followed a, “You will get that recommendation as soon as you finished the task”

 

“O-okay then.”



 

And just like that Sooyoung found herself in front of the LVL Company door ringing it for the third time. Unlike the company she came from, this company is relatively small. She scanned the outside of it and nothing looked special to it, it’s just a plain basic establishment. 

 

"Hi! Are you the new applicant?" Her company did the application for her with some editing of her form.

 

"Yes, I'm Joy Park,” it was the name the company gave to her.

 

"Please follow me" 

 

She followed the guy to a room that seems like the main office and there she found a small office inside. If the president will be the one who will interview her she expects them to be an older person trying to be hip at everything they do, but this company is full of surprises.

 

"Ms. Joy Park right, I'm Wendy Son the president please take a seat. I apologize for the lack of people here. We didn't expect the sudden popularity of our application, we were just a small company.” the girl smiled at her charmingly.

 

Wendy Son is the prettiest and tiniest company president she’s ever seen. With her cute smile and her warm demeanor, she just wants to put her in the pocket and give her the biggest love. She thought she’d hate her undercover mission but seeing that she’s going to seduce a pretty woman she should’ve said yes the moment that stupid Kim Taeyeon opened .

 

“That’s alright Ms. Son, that's why I am here to help you make your work easier.” She gave her a smile that she knows no one can resist. 

 

"But first I would like to apologize for those people, I swear they are not like that on the daily basis" 

 

Wendy was pertaining to the crowded people just outside the door. They thought they can't be seen gathering and trying to see what's happening inside but they thought wrong. However, Joy wasn't new to that, she got used to it. She knows her capability to make everyone fall for her the first time they saw her. But as of the moment she just wants a specific pair of eyes to look at her and not at the paper with her credentials in it. The interview went well and she’s actually hoping that she will get the position and maybe she will also get the position in the President’s heart. 


 

After a week she got a call from the future love of her life saying that she will be their new HR and it feels like she’s flying with happiness. This made her happy and excited more than when she was hired by the company that sent her to become a spy. Sooyoung wasted no time to say her thanks with a squeal of happiness that the president would think that it is because she got the job but little did she know it was because of her effect.

 

Joy will be the name she will use while she is undercover, it was her English name and she is sure that it would sound nice when it rolls on the president’s tongue.