Chapter 3

Smile

 

After I had calm down, i carry a bowl of porridge and a glass of milk upto Jongup's room on a tray. I set the tray on the side table beside his bed and sit at the edge of the bed. I take the towel away from Jongup's forehead and wipe away the sweats he stir and slowly sit up. “Hey. Dasom, what are you doing in my room?” I take the tray and set it on his lap. “Here. Eat this.” He take a sip of the porridge and look at me. “Is it good?” he smile and nod before giving me two thumbs up. “Eat some more. If you want more, there's plenty downstairs.” I watch him eat the porridge until there is not a single drop and drink the milk. He put the tray on the side table and look at me. “Thank you for taking care of me. Don't you need to go home? I don't mind sending you home since – Wait. Dasom, did you just talk?” I nod. “Wow. Your voice is....really something. I like to hear your voice more often.”

I'll try to talk as often as I can.” Something bout my tone makes him curious. “Dasom, what's wrong? Are you okay?”

I'm fine.” he wasn't convince. He switch on his bed light and look at my face. “Dasom, have you been crying? What's wrong? Did my hyungs gave you a hard time? If they did, I'm sorry. I -” tears blurred my vision and flow down my face. Jongup panicked for a while before hugging me and rub my back until I calm down again. I push away from him and wipe away the remaining tears. “Are you okay now?”

Yeah. I'm fine. Sorry if I freaked you out. Rest assure that none of your brother make me cry.”

Who did?” I wasn't really ready to answer him and he sensed it. “It's okay if you don't want to tell me. Just remember that if you need a shoulder to cry on or ears to listen, I'm here beside you.” I can trust him right? He is my only friend. “My sister. She called me while you were sleeping. She screamed at me, asking where I am and we fought on the phone. She called me an ungrateful and I called her a of a mother. She threatened me if she ever see my face in the house ever again, she'll kill me with her own hands.”

Mother?”

I live with my older sister and her boyfriend. She have a child with that erted bastard. Since Kanae, my niece, was born, I have been taking care of her. Her parents always leave her to go out and party. Not once had they call Kanae by her name. They always refer to her as kid, thing, and such. Kanae never give me a hard time. I treat her like my own and she sees me as her mother.”

Are you an orphan like us?” That caught me by surprise. “You're an orphan?”

Yeah. Me and the others. All of us stay at the same orphanage until Yongguk hyung and Himchan hyung are at age to adopt us. We even bleached our hair the same color so people would see us as a family, the same blood.”

How long have you guys been together? I mean ever since Yongguk and Himchan adopt you guys.”

They adopt us when they were seventeen and now they're twenty two. We've been a family for five years. What about you? Since when did you become an orphan?”

Since I was five. My sister was ten when our parents died because of drug overdose. My parents were druggies and often hit me and my sister if they don't have money. We stayed with our grandparents at my mother's side until I was ten because my grandparents died when the house burn down. We then stayed with our grandparents on my father's side for three years and runaway from the house. Everyone in our family hates us because we were the daughters of druggies and where ever we go, we brought bad luck. We stayed in the streets for a couple of months until my sister found a job at a club and met her boyfriend while I work at my work place and pay for everything except the house since it comes with my sister's job. I never complain to anyone or make any friends. People call me mute because I never talk to anyone but the teachers. People judge me by my appearance and behavior. You were the first one that didn't. That day when we first met, I was surprise that someone would talk to me or even try to be friends with me.”

I'm glad that I did. But what are you going to do now?”

What do you mean?”

Your sister said she'll kill you if she sees you in the house. Where are you going to stay?” I shrug and Jongup sigh. “Let's go downstairs. I bet my hyungs are downstairs in the living room.” We walk down the stairs and walk straight to the living room. “Hyung.”

Jongup, you're awake. How are you feeling?”

Fine, Himchan hyung but that's not what I want to talk to you about.”

Then, what is it?” both of us sit down at the sofa and the all four heads turn to us. “Dasom doesn't have a place to stay. I was thinking of letting her stay with us but this is not my house alone.” Yongguk nod and look at the others. “Well, there is an extra room beside the kitchen and we did cause you to fight with your -”

You guys did not cause the fight. She had it coming and I had been patient with her ever since Kanae e.”

Kanae?” All of them except for Jongup look at me, confuse. “My niece. My sister's daughter.”

You have a niece? Is she cute?”

ZELO!” everyone shout at him and he pout. Himchan shake his head and look at me. “Knowing Yongguk, both him and I would love for you to stay here as long as you want. By the look of how Zelo and Daehyun love your cooking, they approve you stay here too.” both of them nod furiously. “Youngjae?”

Does it even matter? Five against one?” he look at me and after a couple of minutes, he smile and shake his head. “You know my answer too, hyung.” Zelo and Daehyun jump up and do a little victory dance together while chanting “She's staying~ Delicious food~” They laugh but then I remember Kanae. “I can't.” the two stop and everyone look at me. “I can't leave Kanae. Knowing Youni, she won't give a damn bout Kanae. I have to go back and take care of her.”

Well, you can bring her here. She can stay in the same room as you. How old is she anyway?”

She's going to be two in four month time.” Himchan look at Yongguk and he smirks. Youngjae's eyes widen and shake his head. “I know that smirk. Hyung, you can't be serious!” Yongguk shrug. “She needs her clothes and this is the only way to get them without getting her killed. Besides, we've done this lots of time when we were young.” I was confuse and Himchan notice it. He look at me and smirk. “Dasom, how do you feel about breaking into someone's house?”