Chapter 2

Smile

 

The bell rings and all the students flow out of the classroom. I was about to walk out when the Mr. Kwon called me. “Ms. Son, can you please send these to Mr. Moon? I notice that you're always with him and you two look close.” Close? I never talk to him. He's the one who'll always do the talking and follow me everywhere. Send his homework to him? I don't even know where he lives. “I'll give you his address if you don't know where he lives.” I nod and Mr. Kwon write down the address before handing me Jongup's address and homework. As I walk towards his place, I realize how far his house is from the bus stop he will always send me and my work place. Why does he still send me if he know that it's far from where he lives? Questions run through my mind as I came closer to his place. I look at the paper that Mr. Kwon had write Jongup's address and the house I'm standing in front of. I was about to ring the door bell when the door suddenly open and reveal a boy with curly blonde hair who's hugging his skateboard in his right arm. “Hyungs, I'll be going now. Oh! Um, sorry. I didn't realize we have company.”

Zelo, who is it?” Another blonde appear and look at me. “Yes. May I help you?” I was about to show him the address when I heard someone call my name. “Dasom? What are you doing here?” I turn my head to my right and see Jongup wearing a wife beater, acid washed jeans and a jockey jacket. He looks paler than usual and there were dark circles and bags under his eyes. “Jongup hyung! I told you that I was going to buy the groceries later. Why did you go and buy? You're sick for crying out loud.” Zelo take the groceries out of Jongup's hands and push him in the house. Once Jongup is in the house, Zelo come back out and drag me in. “Come on, noona. The weather is cold. You're going to get sick like hyung if you don't get yourself warmed up.” I hang my coat at the coat hanger and stand at the entrance. “Don't just stand there. Come in and make yourself at home. Oh, I'm Himchan by the way. Kim Himchan.” I shake his hand and awkwardly seat at one of the sofa. Jongup walk out from what seems like the toilet with a small bucket of water and sit beside me. He squeeze the small towel from the bucket dry and put it on his forehead. “Dasom, sorry if this sounds rude but why are you here? How did you know where I live?” I show him the paper Mr. Kwon gave me and take out his homework from my bag. “Ah! Mr. Kwon asked you to send me my homework, huh? Sorry to bother you, Dasom. Let me repay you.” I shake my head and gesture him to sit down and rest. “I'm not that sick, Dasom. Just a fever and flu. Nothing serious.”

Nothing serious my , Jongup. Sit your down and rest. Let your hyungs take care of you. You must be Dasom, Jongup's classmate and deskmate. I'm Yongguk, the eldest of us six. YAH! KIDS! GET YOUR ING ASSES DOWN HERE BEFORE I COME UP AND KICK YOUR ASSES DOWN!” Minutes later, two blondes lazily walk down the stairs. One of them was shooting daggers at Yongguk while the other was wearing a mask that hides half his face. “What do you want, hyung? I was sleeping.”

Do I look like I care, Youngjae? Daehyun, get that stupid mask off you face this instant! We're at home for heaven's sake!”

Yongguk, chill down. You're scaring our guest.” Himchan pat Yongguk at the back and smile down at me. “Sorry for that. Yongguk is the head of the house and he tends to show his authorities the wrong way.” Youngjae stare at me. “Who's this?”

This is Dasom, Jongup's classmate and deskmate.”

Ah~ I would like to apologize if Jongup did anything wrong. He can be dumb at most time.”

Hyung~~ Now really isn't the time to tease me bout stuff like that~~” Jongup whines and receive a small laugh from Daehyun. Daehyun ruffle the younger's hair and look at me. “Jongup can't stop telling us about you. He told us that you don't talk to anyone but teachers and you never smile. I hope by knowing our Jongup, you'll change to someone who smile more often and talk to people too. I was once like that but Jongup and the rest of the crew changed me. Mostly Jongup though.” That earned him a smack at the back of the head by the other three. As they bicker with each other, i feel a light weight on my shoulder and I turn to see Jongup sleeping with a frown on his face. I put a hand on his forehead and he was burning. I started to panic a bit and seeing those four guys still bickering over something so stupid piss me a bit. They were getting louder and Jongup begins to shiver. That did it. “YAH! SHUT THE UP!” They stop bickering and look at me with surprised eyes. I huff and point at Jongup. “He's burning. Why don't you guys stop shoving each other and help me carry him to his room.” They nod and Yongguk carry Jongup to his room with us behind him. Yongguk set him on his bed and I cover him with the blanket up to his shoulders. I turn and look at the others as I rest my left hand on my hip and my right hand point at them as I give them orders. “Yongguk, I need you to go and get me a small towel and a pail of cold water. Himchan, can you cook?” He nods a little. “Good. I need you to cook porridge. I'll help you with it later. For now, just get the ingredients. Youngjae and Daehyun, I need you to -” I didn't know what to ask them. I look around the room and notice how unhygienic it is. “I change my mind. Himchan, you don't have to cook. You're going to help Youngjae and Daehyun to clean the house. Yongguk, after getting the pail of water and small towel, soak the towel with the water and set it on his forehead. After that, help the three clean the house.” they stand at the doorway, trying to process everything I had ordered them. I roll my eyes and point at the door. “Are you guys waiting for something?” They shake their head and presume doing what I had asked them. Just as I walk out of the room I realize that I don't know where the kitchen was. Thankfully, Youngjae walk pass me. I grab his wrist and lightly yank him. “Can you show me where the kitchen is?” he nod and we make our way to the kitchen. “The dry stuff are in the shelf, wet stuff are in the fridge, spices are in there, pots and pans are under the sink.”

Thank you.” I roll up my sleeves and search for the ingredients. It didn't take me long to finally finish cooking and I taste it. It was fine but since it's my cooking, I couldn't tell how good it is. Right on cue, Yongguk, Himchan, Daehyun, Youngjae and Zelo walk into the kitchen. “Right on time. I need you guys to taste this.” I pour each a cup of porridge and hand it to them. They drink all up in one shot. “How is it?” the five of them give a look and I sigh. “I'll make -”

NO!” I jump and look at them. Himchan shake his head. “Don't throw anything away.”

But....Don't it taste bad?” Youngjae raise a brow. “Who said it taste bad?”

Your expressions....It state -” Daehyun pat my shoulder and give me a thumbs up. “We were shocked. The porridge taste like heaven! It's so damn good!” Zelo bounce up and down like an energizer bunny. “Noona, you're an excellent cook! Can you cook some more?!” Yongguk hit his head and growl. “Yah! She's not your maid. She's Jongup's friend. Treat her with respect, fool!”

I don't mind actually. The porridge is enough for all of you.” my phone rings and I look at the caller ID before answering it. “Yah! Where the are you?! Why aren't you home?!”

I'm at a friend's house. I already text you when school ended.”

That is a lie! If you had text me, i wouldn't shout at you, you ungrateful !”

At least I'm not a of a mother like you, Youni! You have a child for god sakes but every night, you go out clubbing with that useless ert who is the father of your child! You never had once take care of Kanae, your own flesh and blood! Never had you call her by her name! Never had you play, feed or even bath her! It was all me! Me, me, me! Call me what ever you want, I don't care! You never had love me or Kanae and you will never love us!”

YOU ! HOW DARE YOU?! DON'T YOU DARE COME HOME TONIGHT! IF I EVER SEE YOUR FACE IN THIS HOUSE EVER AGAIN, I'LL ING KILL YOUR TY !” I end the call and angrily throw my phone at the wall with a angry scream. The phone shattered and I – I don't what I was doing. All I remember was screaming on the top of my lungs, pulling my hair roughly, and suddenly I was in the arms of someone. I struggle to free myself but he was to strong and another pair hug me from the other direction, my head at he same time until I stop struggling and cry my heart out. “Cry all you want, Dasom. Cry until there is not a single tear left. Let all your emotion flow and don't hold any of it back. We're here for you.” I look up to see Yongguk's and Himchan's faces. I hug them both and cry.