Twenty-One

Coffee and Cigarettes and Everything in Between
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Coffee and Cigarettes and Everything in Between

 


Winter

 

It's almost eight in the evening when I return to the apartment. I dropped Ningning off to her place when we finished eating dinner. 

Seventh floor. The elevator doors opened. I step out of the door carrying the paper bag which contains Giselle's favorite burger. The hallway is empty. The only sound that can be heard is my heavy footsteps ramming on the floor. I'm almost at the door when it opened revealing a five foot ten man. James.

He closes the door behind him. I walk a few steps more until we're face to face just outside my shared apartment with Giselle. He talks first. "Hey Winter, I was just visiting Giselle since she has been busy these last few weeks. I hope you don't mind." He says as she scratched the back of his neck.

Giselle has never brought anyone home before let alone visit her. It is one of our rules to not bring over anyone if it's just a fling or a one night stand so I'm guessing she's really serious with James.

I gave him a smile and a nod acknowledging him. The atmosphere was awkward so I made the move of turning the doorknob to let him know that I'm already going inside and that there's nothing more that I want to say to him. He's smart, he read my actions well. Once more I smiled to him as I swung open the door.

"See you next time then." He said as he waved a little goodbye and headed for the elevator. 

 


"Gi where are you?" I called out as soon as I closed the door. I went straight to the kitchen for a glass of water. Leaning back on the refrigerator door, I closed my eyes as I let Ningning's words from earlier sink in more to my mind, please trust her more.

"Yeah what is it?!" Giselle came barging into the kitchen. She's really stressed. Her usual cool and calm demeanor can't be found at the moment.

"I got you your favorite burger." I said in a small voice pointing out the paper bag that's currently sitting on the table. Stressed out Giselle is scary.

A smile slowly creep up her face as she takes a seat and indulge in the food that I brought her. Thank God.

 

"So how did your day went?" She asked as she munch on her food. I walk to the sink and grab another glass as I pour her a drink.

"It was great." And it was. I got to spend a little time with Ningning. I got to know her more and I learned new things about Karina as well.

My phone buzzes from my back pocket. I grab it and immediately check the notification.

*1 new message
Already home.

Two words. Two words made my heart go in a frenzy. Finally.

 

"Yeah. I'm guessing it really went great because you're smiling like an idiot right now."

I shot her a look. "I had dinner with Ningning tonight."

"Who?"

"Ningning. Karina's bestfriend. She also works at the café. The little one."

"Cat eyes?"

"Yeah that one and Karina's finally back from her trip." 

"Ahhhhh that's why you're extra smiley."

"Whatever Gi." I rolled my eyes at her as I grab my keys that's on the kitchen counter. I wanna see her tonight.

"So I'm guessing you're not sleeping here tonight?" She says with a sheepish grin which I decided to ignore. I grab my coat that I Ieft on the couch. "I don't know yet."

She snorted. "Yeah sure you don't know. But wait." She ran back to her room and after a few minutes came out with her hands behind her back as if she's hiding something.

"What?" I haven't seen her in almost three days and all I want to do right now is run to the elevator and speed off to her place but Giselle is being annoying at the moment.

"Guess what?" She says teasing me still with her hands behind her.

"Gi I don't really wanna play games right now."

She takes my hand and put her own hand over it still hiding the content that's inside. She reached for my ears and whispered, "It's for protection."

I snatch my hand away from her. "What the Gi!" I yelled at her, eyes wide not believing what she just said.

"It's protection for bug bites you dummy! You said that she went mountain climbing right? Then she most likely camped too. What in

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter