Eighteen

Coffee and Cigarettes and Everything in Between
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Coffee and Cigarettes and Everything in Between


Karina

 

"For real!?" Ningning's voice filled the staff lounge as I told her that James already has a girlfriend. Her current face is a mix of surprised and disappointment.

She plops down on the couch face first. "Grdks skekrjf fjfjriossa" she says, the pillow muffling her voice.

"Sorry I can't speak alien Ningning."
 
Lifting her head up she looks at me with her lips pouting. She sits up properly this time. "I kinda like him though."

"Too bad. He's already with Winter's bestfriend."

She plops down on the couch again. This time using the pillow to cover her face. I let her be while I close my eyes, resting the for a while until our break finishes.

 

With my eyes closed, I heard her stand up, feet shuffling until I felt her sit beside me. She poke my side. "Ri unnie" she calls, I hummed in response. "Does Winter have a brother?" She asks. I open one of eyes and look at her. She's giving me the puppy eyes paired with her pouty lips. 

"Yeah she does." I said to her as I closed my eyes again. Even with my eyes closed I can tell that she's smiling now. She pokes me again. "Can you like ask Winter to introduce him to me?" She says making me open my eyes. Shaking my head I faced her. "Yes sure, if you want an uncle I can ask Winter."

"Yah unnie!" She says to me slapping my arm as I laugh at her. "What? I was just answering your question." I replied as I shrugged my shoulders playing naive.

"I want a boyfriend not an uncle!"

"Or he can be your sugar daddy if you like." I said as I poke her side this time, teasing her. She cross her arms and made an act as if she's thinking with the scratching of the chin and all of that. "Well I guess..." she started.

"Yah Ning Yizhou!" And that threw her to a giggling fit.

 

We were interrupted when a sudden knock echoed around the room. One of our co-workers peeking her head inside. "Karina someone's looking for you." Ningning looked at me with her eyebrows raised and a teasing smile. "Thanks, be there in a minute." I replied with a smile.

I throw a pillow at Ningning's direction. "Probably your future sister-in-law." I said to her as I dash for the door.  

"I was just kidding unnie!" 

 


Her back was facing me but the flannel and the daisies gave her away. I walk slowly towards the counter where she's standing. "Hey baby." I called her once I'm near enough.

She looks to her left, she looks to her right trying to find where my voice came from and when she didn't see me, she finally turned around.

I love the way her face automatically lit up once she saw me. The way the corner of her lips went up as she saw me walking towards her. I could get used to that smile.

"Hi." She says shyly as she handed me the flowers. Consistent. I tiptoed over the counter, reached for her collar and I pulled her into me taking her by surprise. Looking at her eyes and giving her a smile, I kissed her. A plain peck.

She was a blushing mess after that. I saw her looked around the café, maybe trying to see if anyone saw my antics. But I couldn't care less. There's no rule in the shop about public display of affection.

Fixing my apron like nothing happened, I smiled at her and asked for her order. "Your regular?" She shakes her head no. Then why is she here?

With her face still flushed, she answered me. "I wanted to ask you what time you'll be getting off from work today." 

"You know that there's a thing called a phone right?"

"I know."

"And you do know that you can just call or text me using that phone right?"

"I know. I just really want to see you already that I can't wait until you get off work so here I am." She reasons out. Winter and her way with words.

"My out is at five."

"I'll pick you up by then." She says as she makes a move of waving goodbye. 

"Wait." I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter