Twenty-five

Coffee and Cigarettes and Everything in Between
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Coffee and Cigarettes and Everything in Between


Winter

 


I was finally forced to open my eyes when the sunlight peeking through the curtain has become unbearable for me to take. My eyes met the white ceiling and for a moment panic shot through my system until I felt a warm body beside me. Rolling on my side to get a better view of her, I retreated my hand that was aching to touch her just in case I woke her up and disturb her deep slumber.

Instead I slowly sat up in bed bringing some of the sheets with me as I look around her room. Fascinatingly this was the first time I'm actually taking in her room because well, we're usually busy with each other whenever we are in here that I'm too distracted either by her hands or and sometimes by both to pay attention to the details of the four bare corners that huddles up the love of my life every sleeping night.

 

Her room is stripped of any decorations besides from a few necessary things: a closet on the far right of the room and beside it is a full length body mirror. A bedside table with a little vanity mirror on top of it. No picture frame or photos for that matter adorned her room. It's simple just like her. It's so different from my own room which is too crammed by photos, random sketches and paintings.

Looking down at the sheet that I'm currently  clutching a smile formed on my lips. Even our taste in colors are the total opposite. Her sheets are a warm color of beige, her pillowcase a dark shade of mahogany which is so far from the navy and white theme of my room.

 

A low whimper coming from her lips distracted me out of my reverie. What met my eyes as I turned my head around made me regret that I fancy abstract painting more than realistic ones. 

There lying faced down beside me was a Karina. Her lower body still draped by her cream sheets while her was exposed to the wind, exposed in all its glory all for my eyes to see. Her arms supporting her head, her tousled hair was brushed to one side that I can clearly see the curves of her back, the slim outline of her spine. The material in front of me was worth saving into a canvass, to be displayed at the most renounced museums. But then again I'm all too happy when I realized that this magnificent view is for my eyes only.

 

The light rise and fall of her back reminded me that she must have been really exhausted from driving to and fro from the beach. I insisted to drive for us but she was adamant. And of course true to her words, she did made love to me earlier as soon as the door shut closed behind us. I sat there wondering just how she still had the energy to even lift a finger (not that I'm complaining) from all the driving and work that she have done yesterday.

When was the last time that I actually woke up earlier than her after making love? As far as I can remember, this was the first and only instance that I got up before her. I'm not as fit as Karina but I try to keep up with her both inside and outside the bedroom.

 

A low and deep groan resonated in the room followed by a grumble, "What time is it?"

"Almost two in the afternoon." I answered taking a glance at the digital clock sitting on the table beside us.

"Too early. Come and cuddle with me." Her voice came out muffled as she spoke through her pillow. Her offer was tempting considering that I know she's wearing next to nothing underneath the sheets and I was no better. But we've already missed lunch and only had her packed sandwich for breakfast earlier, my stomach is demanding for food.

"I'd love to but I have to cook. I'm sure you're hungry too right?" I said as I kissed her gently on the shoulder. I was about to get out of bed when she suddenly sat up and hugged me on my waist instantly stopping me on my tracks.

"Food can wait, come back to bed with me."

"You're a little clingy today, don't go stealing my thunder Karina."

"Can't help it, you're too y without anything on."

 

And just like that I'm straddling her lap all over again getting lost in her kisses, my trip to the kitchen has been abandoned.

I was holding on to her shoulders as she mercilessly tortured my neck, peppering kisses all over when a little line distracted me from her lips. It's probably a two-inch scar that run just above on her shoulder blade. I was about to ignore it when I saw another one on her left arm that's almost the same size. And there's another on her side just under her right but unlike the first two, this one is a bit longer.

Why am I only noticing this now?

I pulled her face away from my body as I sat there on her lap. Confusion was etched on her features as I look at her.

"What happened? Where did you get this?" I ask her as I run a finger along the scar on her shoulder. 

"Don't mind it okay? It's alright."

"Don't mind it? Look there's another one right here." I said as I pointed out the one on her elbow. "And this one too." I reminded her as I run a thumb across the slightly bigger scar on her side.

Did she get hurt while we're together? Did something else happened on her mountain climbing trip?

"Don't." She says o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter