Twenty-nine

Coffee and Cigarettes and Everything in Between
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Coffee and Cigarettes and Everything in Between

 

Ningning

 

I rang the doorbell at Karina unnie's place without expecting her to answer the door. Here I am again just like any other day when she unexpectedly calls in sick just to give in to her impulsive desires which mostly ranges from sitting by a river to her most extreme hobby to date which is bungee jumping. I wouldn't have bothered checking up on her because within years of our relationship, I've learned to give her space whenever she's off on one of her trips. Plus she would have called or texted me if the reason of her absence is something important. But Karina unnie being our manager slash owner's favorite barista she personally called me to her office to pass by at her home to see if everything was alright.

 

"Ningning!" Mae, my coworker called me as I was inside the employees lounge savoring my precious fifteen minute break.

"Uhm yeah?" I answered back softly with uncertainty in my voice since I wasn't really that close with her.

"Manager Lee is asking for you."

"Did she say why?" I asked as I slowly got up from the couch with my brows furrowed as to why my fifteen minutes of free time is being interrupted.

"No. She just said to call for you and tell you to go meet her in her office." She said while she shook her head. 

Clearly she isn't giving me the shop since I'm not her favorite barista in the bar. Certainly not a promotion either because I've broken at least five glasses for this month. And surely not a salary raise with the former reason coming to mind.

 

So what is old Mrs. Lee calling me out for? I got my answer when I sat in the chair inside of her office.

 

"Ah she's fine, Mrs. Lee. You know her, she pull these kind of act every other month or so." I said without thinking and that earned me a raised brow from the old woman in front of me.

 

"No...no. What I meant was, she gets sick sometimes right? But I'm sure it isn't anything serious. It might just be a cold or a simple fever. Nothing that unnie can't handle." I inserted in quickly to avert her thoughts from my words earlier.

 

"Has she called or texted you?" She said as she leaned over the table.

 

"No. I wouldn't have known that she wasn't at work if Mae didn't pointed it out earlier."

 

"See? She might be too sick to call you or something must have happened."

"You worry too much about her."

"She's my employee of course I would worry!" She says defensively.

 

"But remember that time that I got admitted to the hospital for my kidney problem? You didn't even paid me a visit!" 

 

"I sent you flowers didn't I?"

 

"Just say that Karina unnie is your favorite. We all know Mrs. Lee."

 

"Just check in on her later will you?" She says with finality in her tone but she was smiling nonetheless.

 

Bickering with old Mrs. Lee has been one of my favorite past time inside the café. Her reactions are so cute whenever I about her favoring Karina unnie the most among all of her employees. I've never held it against unnie that she's well liked by our owner because who wouldn't be fond of her?She's soft spoken, kind, and honest. Plus it might be also the fact that Mrs. Lee and his husband was never able to have a child and then there's unnie who doesn't have parents anymore. They just clicked in a way that only they understand.

 

 

I was ready to leave her front door since I've pressed the doorbell three times, making me believe that she wasn't inside but as I was just about to turn around the sound of the door being unlocked caught my attention. There in front of me was Karina unnie, with still her pajamas on, hair unkept, and smelling like cigarettes at five in the afternoon.

 

"I just woke up." She explained as she cleaned her table that was full of cigarette stubs and a few bottles of beer.

 

"Yeah it looks like it." I said as I made myself comfortable in her couch.

 

 

After a few minutes of cleaning she finally sat beside me.

 

"What brings you over?" She asked casually.

 

"Mrs

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter