14 To the Stars and Never Back

KwonChaeng Love Line
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Genre: Angst, Slice of Life

Summary: Kwon Eunbi wanted to escape. Lee Chaeyeon was searching for a missing part of her. Two lost souls found each other at an unexpected time. Can they still have a wonderful adventure if one of them has limited time?

Word Count: 3011

Hashtag: #KwonChaeng_StarsAndNeverBack

 

To the Stars and Never Back

 

The sound of her heels echoed through the hallway as she strutted, graceful as ever. She sported a pair of sunglasses in front of her chocolate eyes and held her head up high. She stopped in front of a familiar oak door and let out a shaky breath which she didn't realize she was holding. Kwon Eunbi was always calm and collected. But not at this moment. She got her key card and opened the door gently.

 

Was it a coincidence that she got the same room from their last trip?

 

Maybe. Maybe not. Who knows?

 

She pulled her luggage inside the suite and closed the door. A small sigh unconsciously escaped her trembling lips for the second time as she turned to face the room.

 

It was as beautiful as she remembered. White curtains were draping from the posters of the king-size bed placed in the middle of the room. Eunbi ran a hand through the soft Mulberry silk sheets as she laid on the mattress. Even the cushions and pillows were stuffed with ostrich feathers. The antique furniture in the living space was made from the finest mahogany wood with intricate gold details. Everything in this room and cruise ship just screamed luxury.

 

Eunbi closed her eyes as she removed her sun specs. She bit her lower lip to try to stifle a sob.

 

Everything just reminded her of someone special.

 

Eunbi released yet another huge puff of breath as she sat up and grabbed her coat. She decided to go to the sun deck and hopefully distract herself.

 

It was rather cold than warm. Even if the sun was up in the clear skies, Eunbi was still shivering.

 

She pulled her coat closer to her body as she approached the safety railing separating her and the pristine clear waters below.

 

'She used to hug me from behind while we stare in awe of the panoramic vista of the cerulean waves and the blood orange setting sun.'

 

~*~

 

The cold, chilly autumn air blew her jet black locks gently as she stared at the darkness ahead of her. The night sky was decorated by a myriad of stars, constantly twinkling from a distance. The frosty breeze nipped at her cheeks and suddenly enveloped her figure. Her pale hands gripped the banisters tightly as she got lost at the sight in front of her.

 

The ocean below caught her attention next. She stuck her hand out as if reaching the rough waters.

 

As she was reaching farther, a calloused hand suddenly grabbed her soft one.

 

"What are you doing?" A well-defined voice engulfed the silent atmosphere.

 

"I was just reaching the sea," she sweetly replied.

 

"Do you know that what you did was dangerous? What if you got hurt? Or worse, you might have got killed!" The stranger's voice thundered, making poor Eunbi flinch.

 

"I-I'm sorry. I didn't mean to-"

 

The stranger's eyes suddenly soften at the sight in front of her. "It's alright. I apologize for raising my voice. I'm Chaeyeon, by the way."

 

She offered her hand for a handshake.

 

"I'm Eunbi."

 

As she accepted her waiting hand, bolts of electricity rushed through her veins. A foreign burst of emotions suddenly lit up a sleeping flame in her heart. She gently let go of Chaeyeon's hand, instantly missing the warmth it brought to her.

 

"So, what brought you here in this cruise ship?" Chaeyeon asked as she propped her elbows onto the banisters.

 

"I just want to escape and be free. What about you?"

 

"I'm searching for something," the short-haired brunette replied as her coffee-colored eyes bore into the older's much darker ones.

 

A small gasp escaped Eunbi's lips as she found herself drowning in Chaeyeon's enthralling smoky quartz-like orbs. The lamp nearby illuminated her eyes and the former was mesmerized by the specks of gold swirling with the brown.

 

Eunbi was captivated by the breathtaking color of Chaeyeon's eyes, completely oblivious that her chocolate brown ones had the same effect on the latter.

 

Chaeyeon looked away first and exhaled a deep breath, smoke coming out of . Silence enveloped them along with the cold.

 

She removed her scarf and wrapped it around Eunbi's neck. The older couldn't find her voice and she just stood there, stunned.

 

That night simply passed by as the both of them converse and laugh as they've known each other all their lives.

 

~*~

 

"Excuse me. Miss, are you alright?"

 

Eunbi snapped out of her reverie as she heard an unfamiliar voice.

 

"Yes. Why would I be not?" She timidly replied.

 

"We are nearing the docks. I just ought to let you know," the attendant said with a small smile.

 

"Thank you."

 

As soon as the crew member left, she bit her lower lip and wiped her tear-stained cheeks.

 

"I'm near, my love," Eunbi mindlessly whispered to the autumn air as more memories crashed through her mind like waves upon the seashore.

 

~*~

 

"Eunbi unnie!"

 

Eunbi turned to face the younger one who was grinning from ear to ear.

 

"Wait. Can I call you that? Can I call you unnie?"

 

"You can call me whatever you're comfortable with, Chae."

 

"Really?"

 

"Yeah. You can also call me yours if you want."

 

It took Eunbi a solid minute to digest what she just uttered.

 

'Way to ruin the atmosphere, Eun. Good job!' her subconsciousness yelled at her.

 

"Did I just say that out loud? Uhm I- I'm sorry. I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable," she tried to reason out but Chaeyeon was already struggling to hold fits of laughter.

 

"Unnie, you're really cute," the younger of the duo cooed.

 

"Whatever you say, Chae," Eunbi sulked as she rolled her eyes heavenwards.

 

"We're already nearing the docks. Do you need help with your luggage?"

 

"Oh, I can carry them myself. You don't have to-" she got cut off when Chaeyeon's hand grazed over hers to get one of her suitcases.

 

"I insist," Chaeyeon said as she secured her knapsack on her back.

 

They then walked towards the ship's exit, comfortable silence engulfing them.

 

Chaeyeon took Eunbi's hand in hers, gently intertwining their fingers.

 

"We both don't know where we are heading so I figured that if I were to explore this foreign land, I want to do it with you," the younger one said, her coffee orbs meeting her chocolate ones.

 

Eunbi was left speechless. She couldn't utter a single word. All she knew was that her heart was pounding so fast against her chest.

 

"So, what do you say? Do you want to get lost with me?"

 

Eunbi just smiled at her as she tugged on their intertwined hands, gesturing that she is up to an unexpected adventure.

 

~*~

 

"I'm finally home," Eunbi muttered under her breath.

 

Being in their shared cabin was peculiar. It was strange because, for the first time, she was there all alone.

 

The two-story structure was still the same. It was situated at a high altitude, overlooking the Norwegian fjords. The lodge featured massive floor-to-ceiling windows, a fully-furnished common room with a fireplace, and a grand piano. It also has a multi-functional kitchen and dining room, a spa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter