xviii.

Kingdom Come
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N:

It's been a year since I updated??? That's insane, and I am so sorry for leaving the story on hiatus for so long. But I am back now and hopefully I can start upating again.

Thank you to everyone who stuck with the story and have been incredibly patient with waiting. Also, I am a bit rusty, so I apologise if I don't write as good (if i ever was good) as before.

 

When morning came, Eunbi woke with excitement for the day. There was a spring to her step as Eunbi walked through to the sitting room connecting her and Chaeyeon’s chambers, ready to start the day together with her wife. Not only will she get to enjoy breakfast with Chaeyeon, but they did not have to part ways after the meal. Today, they made plans to see the newly built orphanages together, and oversee Chaeyeon’s proposal for apprenticeship, which was slowly being established all around the kingdom.

 

The last month has been both frustrating in campaigning for the apprenticeship to her vassal lords, yet it was also a breath of fresh air to work so closely with Chaeyeon in place of the old councilmen she’s used to working with. Every day that they have spent working together toward this goal Eunbi thought herself very lucky, and not for the reasons many would think.

 

After living most of her childhood in exile, even if it was for her safety, she had learned not to count on the privileges of her birthright. Being highborn does not make her feel lucky, not for her position or power, except for the one thing–person–it gave her.

 

She would no doubt be thought of as a hopeless romantic, or plain naive, but Eunbi thinks herself to be lucky to have Chaeyeon. And although the princess’ beauty made her satisfaction taste all the more sweeter, it was her heart that made Eunbi thank her gods for her union with Chaeyeon. It was a privilege for Eunbi to see inside Chaeyeon’s mind and to spend more time with her, even if it was for an official royal visit.

 

From where Eunbi was playing with the children, she couldn’t help but steal glances at Chaeyeon, who was busy discussing the apprenticeship with the orphanage’s matron. The slight scrunch between Chaeyeon’s brows as she spoke was enough to make Eunbi’s lips quirk up to a genuine smile. The Queen couldn’t take her eyes off her wife even if she tried. And right now, she didn’t try. Duty and composure be damned, she only wanted to enjoy this moment, fully.

 

There was something nice about not being the one responsible for… well, everything. The apprenticeship was Chaeyeon’s idea, and Eunbi was only there to support the Princess if anything goes wrong. The trips they made around the villages were mostly successful, they only encountered little complications with some shopkeepers who felt the orphans were using up more resources than what was originally accounted for. Eunbi had assured Chaeyeon that she’d talk to the master of coin to support them with the Crown’s treasury.

 

“You seem quite taken by them,” came Chaeyeon’s voice, as the princess joined Eunbi, settling herself on the ground. “You’re very good with them too,” Chaeyeon comments. Unbeknownst to Eunbi, Chaeyeon was stealing glances at the Queen just as much as she was.

 

“I think I always wanted to have younger siblings,” replied Eunbi. She looks up and shares a look with Chaeyeon, “or… children.”

 

A flash of sadness crossed the Princess’ feature, but washed away just as quickly. “I know I can't—“

 

Before Chaeyeon could say more, Eunbi had cut her off. “Do not worry yourself over that. I don't have any regrets,” Eunbi says and reaches over to take Chaeyeon’s hand. “Besides, we have them, don't we?” gesturing to the children in front of them.

 

---------------------------------------------

 

“Today was a good day,” Chaeyeon says when they were settled in the wheelhouse, making their way back to the castle. 

 

Even if Chaeyeon found moments where the princess was slightly irritated by the interruptions—perhaps interruption was the wrong word, as she knew she was doing her duty—but Chaeyeon could not help but hate that she did not get to spend the whole day in Eunbi’s presence because she was busy talking with orphanage matrons and shopkeepers. Albeit, today really was a good day that her apprenticeship program seemed to be successful.

 

“It was, eve

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter