vi.

Kingdom Come
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N:

sorry for the wait fam, but i did say i don't know how often i can update. for now i think i can swing an update every 2 weeks, so i'm trying to go with that schedule.

you guys can go to my twitter @rabbitfeather1 for updates on my fanfics and writing struggles lol. 

anywho, thank you to those who are still interested, for reading and commenting, hope you guys will bear with me as we stumble through this story together <3

 

What came next wasn’t something Chaeyeon was ready for.

 

The month before her wedding, Chaeyeon had been trying to prepare herself for what it means to be married to a stranger. It wasn’t something Chaeyeon could just ask anyone to help her with. She didn’t have her mother to ask for any advice, she couldn’t talk to her father about it, period, and the truth was, Chaeyeon lived quite a sheltered life and doesn’t have many friends to begin with. The only person she could go to was her older brother, and Seoho did try to tell her of what to expect with arranged marriages as much as he can; the not seeing each other until they’re standing at the altar, the honey-veiled words to at least be civil with your promised partner, and even cautioned Chaeyeon for what will happen in the privacy of the bedroom the night of the wedding.

 

But for all of Seoho’s warnings, Chaeyeon almost forgot the most dreaded part of the night––the bedding ceremony.

 

When the first dance came to a close and the second song started playing, Chaeyeon was still rooted to the spot standing opposite her wife, their bodies only a mere inch apart. It was odd to be this close with someone she barely exchanged a conversation with, and yet the princess just didn’t want to be the one to move back first. Chaeyeon doesn’t know if that was because holding onto the Queen was the first act of affection she’s received since she first stepped foot into Izland, or the fact that being married means she was under the protection of the Queen. Maybe a combination of both, because for whatever reason, Queen Eunbi’s hold on her felt almost familiar and safe. 

 

Finally, after what felt like an eternity of just waiting, Queen Eunbi took a step back, her hands falling onto her sides, and whatever security Chaeyeon had felt left her body just as the warmth of the Queen’s touch was no longer there. 

 

“Thank you for the dance, Your Highness,” Queen Eunbi says and bows her head slightly. Chaeyeon watches quietly, almost disappointedly, as the Queen strode back to sit on her throne, leaving her at the center of the dance floor, alone.

 

Just as quickly, a young, dashing-looking man took Chaeyeon’s attention as he stopped in front of her, bowing, and she returned it with a curtsey. The lack of a large crown on the man’s head indicated that he was a prince, but Chaeyeon doesn’t think she could guess which kingdom he came from even if she tried.

 

“Would you do me the honour of a dance, Your Highness?”

 

Chaeyeon doesn’t give him a verbal answer, only accepts his offered hand. The Prince gives her a light kiss on the back of her hand just before he steps closer into her space, placing his hand on the small of her back and she returns by settling her hand on his upper arm.

 

This time, Chaeyeon keeps a respectable distance between herself and her dance partner. Or at least she tries her best to do so by dodging as politely as she can whenever the prince leans closer to make conversation, if only because she can feel a pair of eyes studying her more intently than any other guest in the great hall. 

 

As she dances away, every step she took, Chaeyeon could feel herself being watched by the Queen, and more than once as she swayed and was twirled by her dance partner, Chaeyeon wanted to look straight at her wife. For what, she’s not quite sure herself.

 

“You’re an incredible dancer, Princess.”

 

“Thank you.” Chaeyeon smiles back politely. The compliment wasn’t exactly an original one, considering she’s heard it said many times before, but it was nice nonetheless. Though at this point in her life, Chaeyeon knows how much of a good dancer she is, seeing as it was one of those skills she’d had to perfect since young, being a lady and the Princess of Oneiric.

 

“May I ask for your name?” Chaeyeon asks, changing the subject.

 

“Prince Gunhak of South Candor. Have you ever visited my kingdom, Your Highness?”

 

Chaeyeon shakes her head, knowing that she’s only ever seen the name of the kingdom once or twice on a map in the library back in the Oneiric palace. “I can’t say that I have.”

 

“Good.”

 

“Good?” Chaeyeon raises an eyebrow, confused. 

 

Before she could get a straight answer out of him, the Prince dips her expertly, and closes in to whisper in Chaeyeon’s ear, “That means I get to personally show you around once you grace us with your presence.”

 

Chaeyeon wasn’t the bes

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter