iii.

Kingdom Come
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N:

Sorry for being late in updating, but here it is, and we'll get to see chaeyeon in the next chapter, and then FINALLY kwonchaeng in the next next chapter, thanks for waiting fam :))

 

Eunbi’s plan had worked.

 

All too well, actually. Her troops surrounded the farm area of Oneiric kingdom, and razed half of their crops and slaughtered half their livestock. The farmers and their families were rounded up, some of them shouting curses at Izland and their new queen for this cruelty.

 

One of the farmers had been given a horse to ride for the Oneiric palace with an ultimatum from the Izland Queen; to surrender and cease their war or have the rest of their food source burned.

 

A few days later, Eunbi received a raven with the Oneiric King’s surrender, and not long after, her scouts reported back that the Oneiric army had turned around and marched home.

 

A week later, The Royal Palace of Izland was preparing for the Oneiric King to come with a small envoy to sign a new peace treaty. Learning from her parent’s tragic end, Eunbi had five soldiers, at the least, to always keep watch of the Oneiric King from the moment he stepped into her palace. Her Queen’s Guard also hadn’t left her presence since the surrender letter, not even when she went to sleep, nor when she went to the privy. Eunbi could barely make a step without having Captain Choi Yena follow suit. Although it might have something to do with Eunbi not being able to walk without limping too. 

 

Even so, Eunbi doesn’t let her injury get in the way of her duties. Especially on such a pivotal moment such as this.

 

Finally the day has come for the peace treaty to be signed, and Eunbi will make sure this one would actually hold and last, for the next century if not indefinitely.

 

Eunbi sits with her back straight on her throne, assessing her court with a stoic, but regal look on her face. She watches silently as her councilmen are loitering about, talking amongst themselves, then shifting her attention to the guards stationed all around the throne room. The more-than-sufficient number of guards was the only thing making her feel safe at this point. Eunbi steals a glance to her left, where her attendants stood at the side, ready to cater to the young queen’s every whim, but Eunbi ignores her other attendants and instead looks at Sakura for a last second reassurance.

 

Soon, the large double doors opened, and everyone in the throne room became silent, looking at the oncomer with complete distrust. It was right of them to be wary of the person who bloodied their own hands in killing Izland’s monarchs. Eunbi too couldn’t help but stiffen in her seat.

 

She hears the steward announce, “King Lee Youngjun of the Oneiric Kingdom.”

 

A man, who looked no older than how her father should have been, strides in, not exactly in a condescending ownership of the room, but still with an air of nobility to show everyone of his high station. Eunbi had seen him before, many times, in fact. For some time she saw him almost everyday when she was in the guise of an Oneiric palace guard. Seeing his face again, Eunbi realizes then that she could hate no person more than she hated him. Though she had enough sense not to show it.

 

“Queen Eunbi,” The King nods at her respectfully, gaining back her attention. He lowers himself, not exactly to a bow, but enough of a gesture to not offend the young Queen.

 

“Welcome to Izland, Your Majesty. I trust the journey here was forgiving,” says Eunbi, before she wills herself to not wince as she stands, stepping down from the dais only to stop in front of the King. “Shall we discuss the terms of your surrender?” Eunbi states more than asks. She then gestures to her servants to bring out a table where they would sign the treaty, and a chair for the King.

 

The two monarchs sat opposite of each other, while Eunbi’s councilmen had gathered around the table, almost crowding themselves around Eunbi. It was almost as if they wanted to shield their queen from Oneiric’s King with their own bodies. Knowing how there were slight disagreements with Eunbi’s ascension amongst the councilmen, Eunbi lets herself feel grateful for their loyalty to the Izland crown at this moment, if only for a moment.

 

“In lieu of my… surrender, may I present Lady Kaeun,” says the king, gesturing to the woman behind him. Eunbi’s attention fell onto the tall, slim woman. The woman in question curtsies low, her eyes casted downward. “I have chosen her as the Oneiric Ambassador in hopes to solidify our long lasting peace treaty.”

 

Queen Eunbi wanted to sneer, but instead she hides it with an amused, low rumbling chuckle. 

 

Everyone in the room became uneasy, watching the Queen cautiously. They knew that the Queen’s smile had a much deeper, ulterior meaning. “You come to me with a peace treaty similar to the one you offered my father not long ago. The same one you didn’t honor by stabbing him in his sleep.” Eunbi crosses her arms in front of her chest in order to stop the urge to dig her nails further into her hand, her anger still just bubbling beneath the surface. “So, pray tell, King Youngjun, why should I believe you will hold up your end of the bargain this time?”

 

“I am prepared to discuss war reparations with you.”

 

“Reparations?” Eunbi scoffs. “You have nothing to offer me. While I accept monetary reparations, you don’t have enough resources to pay me back and at the same time keep your subjects alive and fed, which I can only assume you would like to do.”

 

There were a few snickers from her advisors, but Eunbi kept her eyes on the man before her. It was clear as day that the King had faltered at Eunbi’s words, surprised by either her show of mercy or her bluntness, maybe even both. But he quickly covered it up with a cough, followed by a forced smile and asked, “How do you propose I prove my sincerity then?”

 

Eunbi shifts in her chair.

 <

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter