ii.

Kingdom Come
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N:

I'm sorry there's not much romance or kwonchaeng going on yet, i'm still setting up the story's premise :///

but like... soon, okay? :))

 

It had been months of bitter battles and sieges, depleting forces and resources from both sides of the war. In the end, the Oneiric army had surrendered. 

 

Or that’s what they thought.

 

The signing of the peace treaty was to take place at Izland’s encampment. The Oneiric King had come with only a few of his guards and was treated warmly like a guest by the Izland army and their Monarchs.

 

Unknown to them, the treaty was a farce. The Oneiric King had only agreed to surrender in order to buy time for the rest of the Oneiric army to join him in the battlefield, to finish off the tired and outnumbered Izland soldiers. And worst of all, the night before the signing, the Oneiric King had snuck into the king and queen’s tent, and stabbed them in their sleep, before running off in the dead of night with his companions.

 

The Queen of Izland had died quickly, but Eunbi’s father had managed to call out for a guard as he choked on his own blood. 

 

“My King!!” The guard tried desperately to put pressure on the wound, but it was no use. “We will avenge you, Your Majesty. They will pay for this.”

 

“No!” The king exclaims, spitting blood everywhere. “Retreat.. Crown–– Eunbi... my daughter.”

 

++

 

Her father’s General of the Izland army had recounted the Oneiric King’s horrific act, and Eunbi played it in her mind over and over. Her father wasn’t supposed to die. Her mother wasn’t supposed to die either. They didn’t deserve a death that was so cowardly and cruel.

 

And Eunbi wasn’t supposed to be queen yet. She wasn't ready.

 

After Eunbi survived the arrow to her back, she awoke to the castle she hadn't lived in for the last 15 years. Eunbi almost didn’t recognize that the room she woke up in had belonged to her parents. And she was immediately overcome by grief upon realizing, knowing exactly why she had been placed in this bedchamber instead of her own.

 

Eunbi would have missed their smile, their laughter, the way they hugged her, if only she hadn’t forgotten what any of it looked or felt like after being deprived of it for so long. Eunbi had looked forward to finally seeing them again.

 

Instead, she woke up to the news that her parents were murdered in their sleep. And that Eunbi must ascend to the throne not even a week after their tragic death in order to avenge them.

 

(“Do you solemnly swear to govern the people of this kingdom and its dominions according to the statutes, customs and laws laid down by your forebears? Will you, in your power, promise to exercise mercy and justice in your deeds and judgements?”

 

“I do solemnly swear.”

 

“Presenting, Her Majesty, Kwon Eunbi, Queen of Izland!”

 

“Long live the Queen! Long live the Queen!!”)

 

Her coronation was supposed to be a happy occasion. Eunbi was to wait until her father was ready to pass his crown to her. But this was far from how she imagined it.

 

There was no celebration for Eunbi’s ascension. No ball or feast to mark the occasion. It was not the time for it––they did not have the time for it.

 

Not even an hour after her coronation, Eunbi was wheeled into the council room by Lady Sakura. Unfortunately, Eunbi was not yet able to walk after her injury, but still needed to do her duties as the queen. 

 

Following from behind her was Choi Yena, Captain of her Queen’s Guard and two other men, as well as her attendants, Lady Kang Hyewon and Lady Ahn Yujin, all of whom were newly appointed to her service when she returned to Izland a week ago. Their presence was the only reason Eunbi hadn’t risked injuring herself even more by trying to run away and hide from her responsibilities, merely because they blocked the hallways which led to her chambers and the fact that her still healing wound made it impossible for her to outrun anyone.

 

She enters the council room with a heavy heart. It took her all night to convince herself of what she would say and do once she met with her advisors for the first time. But she knows that no matter how hard her decision was, she must put an end to this war.

 

“My lords, my lady,” Eunbi greets her small war council. She could only recognize a few familiar faces, among them were the General of Izland’s army who once served her father, and her Master of Spies, Lady Kim Chaewon.

 

Her councilmen bow respectfully, greeting her with Your Majesty and Your Grace, before following suit to sit down as Eunbi takes her place at the head of the long table.

 

The air was tense, and they all knew it had to do with the first order of business; ending the war, and at th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter