x.

Kingdom Come
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N:

Hey it's been a minute. This story is not dead, but I'm going thru it with uni right now.

I feel bad about not updating, so here is something light and fluffy, but it's unedited, soz.

Also I can't promise when the next update will be. Just know that I won't abandon my stories and I'll come back to them when I can.

Hope you guys like this one.

 

Almost without either of them knowing, their time together in their marriage continues to blossom, and with it, the seasons too. Spring has finally found them, and now the sun overlooks the land in warmth while the breeze keeps them chilled. 

 

Each day that passed only brought them closer, inviting more lingering touches and longing looks. And they were friendly, conversations flowed, no longer curt. But somehow, it just wasn’t enough. Aside from the occasional polite kisses on the back of her hand, the Queen was quite reserved in giving Chaeyeon… more. Chaeyeon was glad that the Queen was kind, respectful, and sweet, in a way that most royal marriages probably were not. Though it would be a lie if Chaeyeon were to say she wasn’t desperate for more affection from her wife.

 

Today, the start of spring has given Chaeyeon the newfound purpose of taking their marriage further, to take a small step forward.

 

“How would you like me to dress your hair today, Princess?”

 

Chaeyeon looks up to meet eyes with Sakura through the mirror, thoughtful of her appearance more than usual, “Do you perhaps know what the Queen prefers for her consort?”

 

She was met by the small, knowing smile spreading on her lady in waiting’s lips. Chaeyeon tries not to blush but fails immediately at the thought of her intentions to woo the Queen being so transparent. “I do, Your Highness,” Sakura answers, “Would you like me to dress it that way?”

 

“Yes.”

 

Chaeyeon watches on as Sakura gently brushes her long hair, her movement was fluid and practiced like she had done this countless times before. To her surprise, Sakura starts to part her hair into sections and braids them together. As the hairstyle comes together, Chaeyeon couldn’t help but notice how similar her hairdo looks to the way the noble ladies of Oneiric kingdom would dress their hair.

 

Chaeyeon wonders what this meant.

 

Thinking back on the first book her wife shared with her, the children’s tales from the Oneiric kingdom, it almost seems like the Queen favours many of Oneiric’s culture and practices. Chaeyeon thinks of the possibility that perhaps it was her breeding that coincidentally was what the Queen wanted in a partner, and that had reassured her position as the Queen’s wife.

 

Of course, another possibility is the Queen was trying to convey to Chaeyeon that she appreciates where she came from, that she liked Chaeyeon as she is, and that warmed her heart. Yes, she quite liked the latter possibility more.

 

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
 

Breakfast with the Queen was sacred to Chaeyeon. It was the one moment that neither of them skipped out on and was always on time for. 

 

Lunch has been delayed many times, sometimes taken separately because of the Queen’s many council meetings. Dinner was even more delayed, or not spent together at all. Their day could bring them to opposite ends of the palace, separated by layers upon layers of stone walls. But breakfast, the start of both of their days, they started it together in the same large room only occupied by them, and Chaeyeon likes to think the little time they had was used to strengthen themselves for the day to come.

 

It was why the Princess of Oneiric didn’t expect an interruption to her breakfast with the Queen this morning.

 

Chaeyeon had come in early to the large dining room. The Queen joined her not long after. The princess stands up, does a small curtsy in greeting. She watches how the Izland monarch strode in with every elegance and resolve that makes Chaeyeon wonder how this woman, small in stature, sure, but carries herself like the perfect combination of a respectable lady and a strong warrior. Her thoughts halted when the Queen took her seat next to her at the head of the table, quickly taking her hand and placing a kiss on her knuckles, lingering there. 

 

“Good morning, Princess. You look well.” The Queen says fondly, her lips brushing against her skin, sending a shiver down her spine. 

 

“It is a wonderful morning,” Chaeyeon says, not taking her eyes off her wife.

 

“Wonderful?” The Queen’s smile almost turned to a smirk as she assessed her words. “Is it because you are happy to see me, Princess?” The smirk only grew when Chaeyeon’s cheeks flushed at the question.

 

“Yes, Your Majesty,” Chaeyeon manages to say. Without skipping a beat, she asks boldly, “Are you?”

 

“Each night, I sleep so that I might see you in the morning.”

 

“You flatter me.”

 

“I speak only the truth.”

 

The blush dusting her cheeks grew redder, but Chaeyeon was pleased beyond belief. She was about to speak more, wanting to suggest spending time together today, whether it was the stables or the library, Chaeyeon didn’t really care. But she was interrupted by the door opening abruptly.

 

A palace attendant entered and bowed. He faltered noticeably at the pair of glares he received for his interruption, before clearing his throat and announcing, “Prince Geonhak of South Candor.”

 

Walking into the room was the same handsome man who once asked her to dance from the night of her wedding celebration. Chaeyeon immediately remembered him because of his brazen attitude despite his kind smile. The princess wasn’t naive

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter