xiv.

Kingdom Come
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

They did not so much as interact for the next fortnight.

 

Mostly by Chaeyeon’s choice to avoid the Queen at all costs. If her wife thought her childish, Chaeyeon did not care. It hurt her too much to see the Queen and be reminded of her cruel words.

 

It was tiring. Of course, Chaeyeon wanted to put this behind her and go back to whatever they had before. Everytime Chaeyeon discovered something new in the castle, or if she found a book she enjoyed, her first instinct was that she wanted to talk to the Queen about it. And then she had to remind herself that she was wronged and the Queen never really gave her a reason to forgive her.

 

Of course, the Queen tried to placate her. There were the occasional gift baskets, the invitations to spend time at the stable, the flowers the Queen left in the sitting room. They were kind gestures, sure, but it just wasn’t enough. It seemed almost detached, somehow. And what Chaeyeon wanted is sincerity, like when the Queen gave her the children’s book, a gesture so simple yet so honest. It wasn’t rehearsed, unlike the cunning words the Queen spoke so easily to her, the same flirtations that had turned out to be easily thrown around to other people, including the Prince.

 

The only silver lining was that Prince Geonhak had finally gone back to his kingdom some days ago. At least now Chaeyeon didn't need to have the constant reminder of that anymore.

 

Though that arose some new problems for Chaeyeon as well. With the Prince gone and whatever negotiation with South Candor ceased, the Queen was even more insistent in getting back to her good graces. Her wife’s eyes follow her wherever she goes, and a pained expression would cross the Queen’s face whenever Chaeyeon sidestepped to run away.

 

Chaeyeon was getting tired of pretending she was not affected by the incident. She entertained the idea of forgiving the Queen and moved on. Life would be so easier for Chaeyeon if she just accepted that this was how arranged marriages work. She should snap out of whatever romantic fantasies she had conjured up between herself and the Queen.

 

“Princess, are you listening?”

 

Chaeyeon shook herself to focus back on the ambassador from Oneiric. “Could you repeat that?”

 

Lady Kaeun smiles. “The King of Oneiric has sent a letter ahead of his arrival. He should be here the day after tomorrow.”

 

The Princess scrunches her eyebrows, confused. “Why would he visit me?”

 

“I may have mentioned to him that you and Queen Eunbi are not… getting on well, recently.” Seeing the frown on Chaeyeon’s face, she adds, “I apologize if I overstepped, Your Highness, but as you know it is my job to keep the King informed with regards to the Oneiric Kingdom––You, being our princess, will always be a concern of his.”

 

“I doubt that.”

 

“Perhaps you should confide in your father about the Queen?”

 

Chaeyeon resisted the urge to scoff outwardly. “He won't care.”

 

“He will.” Lady Kaeun insists. “If the King were to know that you are unhappy, he would not stand for the slight to Oneiric’s own princess. The Oneiric kingdom would not stand for it. He would take you back—“

 

“It’s fine, Lady Kaeun.'' Chaeyeon stops her with a stern voice. If there was anything Chaeyeon could want less in this world, it would be going back to living under the same roof as her father. She knew she had to make sure her father didn't find any reason to take her back. “Will you please let the Queen know that Izland should be expecting him?”

 

“Of course, Your Highness.”

 

––––––––––––––––––––––––––

 

The welcoming committee for the King of Oneiric was a simple affair. 

 

A few fanfares here and there as the King was escorted to the throne room. The guards’ presence was more noticeable than usual. The Queen’s Guards stood closer than they usually are. Chaeyeon supposes she understood why; they didn’t trust the King of Oneiric, and she can’t blame them.

 

As is expected, the Queen and Princess received him together, standing side by side, albeit a small, more than respectable distance between them. 

 

The King strutted quickly to stand in front of Chaeyeon. He grabbed hold of her hands before she even realized. It was firm to the point where it almost hurt. “How is Izland treating you, my daughter?”

 

If people were oblivious they might have thought him a devoted father, but all of Izland already knew of his deeds. The way he broke a truce to murder the former Izland King and Queen. They had branded him a snake, and the palace occupants seethed as they watched the Oneiric monarch’s inadvertent show of power by ignoring the Queen of Izland.

 

It wasn’t just Izlanders that were wary of him. It took everything within Chaeyeon not to grimace at the way The King of Oneiric had called her ‘daughter’. The only time he ever called her his daughter back then was with disdain, spat back onto her face as if she was a burden, like a disappointment to his legacy. 

 

But Chaeyeon smiles back at him, knowing that he wouldn’t realize how she was faking it. “The Queen’s hospitality is beyond measure, father.” This part was at least true. “I quite like it here.” This time, Chaeyeon saw the slight craning of the Queen’s head at her words.

 

Perhaps it was not the answer the King was looking for either as his face faltered slightly. He replies stiffly, “Good, good.” It did not sound good at all in anyone’s ears. 

 

Finally he steps back to bow his head slightly to Queen Eunbi. “Thank you for receiving me on such short notice. Oneiric is also thankful for the monthly supplies of grain that you send us, Your Majesty.”

 

Eunbi almost smirks. “It is my pleasure.”

 

“And... is my daughter to your pleasure?”

 

There was a flicker of something that crossed the Queen’s eyes that went unnoticed by most of the people in her presence. But to someone who watched the Queen’s features constantly, who admired her every little movement, Chaeyeon could tell that her wife was taken aback by his brazen suggestion. Whether it is a mockery or something else, The Queen was clearly displeased by it either way.

 

In that moment, Just for this moment, Chaeyeon let herself feel the pleasant warmth coursing through her body knowing that the Queen still cared for her.

 

It seemed as if the Queen opened to say something, and by the slight squint of her eyes, Chaeyeon was sure that the Queen was prepared to reprimand him. But Chaeyeon took this as her chance to shut down any intention he could possibly have of taking her back to Oneiric. It also gave the Princess a little bit of satisfaction to play the King at his own game.

 

Boldly, Chaeyeon slips her hands around the Queen’s biceps, squeezing gently.

 

Their gazes locked. There was a small look that passed between them and Chaeyeon begged in her mind for the Queen to understand, before she looked away again. She smiles at her father, pretending that she was not offended by her father’s words.

 

She wonders worriedly if the Queen was able to catch on. She could still feel the Queen’s muscles tensing under her touch. When she saw the Queen’s hand reach out to cup her cheek, Chaeyeon knew she understood. 

 

“Very much so.” The Queen answered

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter