prologue

Kingdom Come
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

In a time where kings reigned over kingdoms and wars waged on, there lived a young queen who was not only famous for her gender, but also because she was wise beyond her years and beloved by all her people. Her long and prosperous reign brought forth many stories and songs sung in her honor.

 

The most famous one of all was a love story. 

 

It was the romance that ended the animosity between two kingdoms from centuries of bad blood. All across the land, be it nobility, gentries, and even the commoners, witnessed the marriage between the star-crossed lovers––the Queen of Izland and the Princess of Oneiric kingdom. And their infamous union continued to be retold generations later. 

 

But what is unknown to most is that the story has always been much more complicated than it seemed.

 

++

 

The story began the day Princess Kwon Eunbi was born, and the enemies of Izland Kingdom plotted to kill her. As the only heir of the Izland crown, many wanted the princess dead in order to cripple the line of succession. Though many plots were foiled throughout the years before any of them could ever come to fruition, there was one that cut too close.

 

To celebrate the princess’ sixth birthday, a large ball was held where dignitaries and royals from different kingdoms were in attendance, and what was supposed to be a happy occasion became the night Kwon Eunbi almost lost her life. 

 

It was only by sheer luck that while running away from her assailant, Princess Eunbi slipped and fell, the arrow narrowly missing her head, and the assassin was captured before he could strike again. 

 

But for fear of her daughter’s life, the King could no longer take the chance of any danger coming to his only heir. With a heavy heart, the King entrusted his spies in smuggling Eunbi to the neighboring kingdom of Oneiric, to live right in the midst of their enemy. 

 

(“Take this ring, Eunbi. If you are ever in need, this will give you a safe passage back to Izland.”

 

“Father? I don’t understand.”

 

“Take her!”

 

“I will protect her with my life, my king.”

 

“No!! Father, Mother!!––please, I don’t want to leave!”)

 

The castle gates were left closed for the next 15 years, and the people of Izland never saw the crown princess ever again since that fateful day. 

 

Meanwhile, young men from every family, nobles and commoners alike, were called to train for the royal army of Izland. Eunbi’s assasination attempt had broken a 100-year-old peace treaty, and everyone knew that another war between the two neighboring kingdoms of Izland and Oneiric was just around the corner. They just did not know when it would start.

 

Throughout the years, the princess lived in complete isolation, under the care of her father’s trusted soldier and his daughter, Sakura,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter