xii.

Kingdom Come
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N:

Hey fam, so I finished uni woooooo.

Anywho, i'm going to try really hard to update this story regularly from now on.

Also, beware angst hehe...

 

SAKURA

It turns out that no matter the incredible changes to their lives the past few months, Sakura could still read her sister like an open book. And Sakura knew that Eunbi was confused.

 

She did hope that what Chaeyeon had planned for today was going to finally snap Eunbi out of her reverie. Sakura spent the entire morning attending to Princess Chaeyeon's special request, which took her on a trip two villages over just to get it. When Sakura arrived back in the palace it was already nearing midday. 

 

Immediately, Sakura looked for her sister to fulfill the second part of the princess’s request. She quickly found Eunbi working alone in her study. Of course, Eunbi was alone. The Queen would never let anyone into her study. Anyone but Sakura. 

 

“Here you are.”

 

“Where else would I be?” The Queen does not even look up from her stack of papers sitting on her desk.

 

“Maybe frolicking with the princess,” she says, amusement dripping in her tone. Eunbi doesn't rise to the teasing, however. Sakura looks at the discarded half eaten breakfast in the sitting area. “I heard you snapped at the attendant who delivered your food.”

 

Eunbi only sighs. “It's been a difficult day and it only just started. Send my apologies to the attendant.”

 

Sakura hums. “Did it have something to do with the princess being absent for breakfast perhaps?”

 

“I don't know what you mean.”

 

“The princess sends her regards.”

 

The quill stopped mid . Ink dripped onto the paper. The Queen finally stopped her reading and looked up to her sister. Sakura could not hide her sly smile, knowing how easy it was to gain the Queen’s attention nowadays just by slipping the princess into any conversation. “I see. Will you let her know I am thinking of her.” That took Sakura by surprise, which left her to do nothing else but stare at her sister. “Why are you looking at me like that?”

 

Sakura was taken aback by her sister’s easy admission of affection for the princess. Of course, Sakura was not blind. To her, it was clear that Eunbi had a soft spot for her wife, but she did not think anyone was allowed to know this fact. Sakura was prepared to have to wrangle out the truth from Eunbi, to get Eunbi to admit it to herself. 

 

“I- uhh..  will pass on your words to her.” Sakura manages to hide her surprise. “I was actually hoping you knew where she was. I am running errands for her. But now I cannot find her. I thought she might be here with you.”

 

“You know I don't let anyone in my study. Did you try the library?”

 

“First place I checked after I found her bed chambers empty.”

 

“Stables?”

 

Sakura shakes her head.

 

“She might be speaking with the ambassador from Oneiric then. She mentioned it at breakfast yesterday. Her brother’s birthday is coming up, and she wished to send him a gift.” 

 

Once again, Sakura was taken by surprise. It seemed the Princess and her sister were becoming more familiar, more personal. And while it did please Sakura for them to get to know each other more beyond the simple pleasantries, she did not think it would come this soon. After what happened in the past, Sakura was present to see the walls that Eunbi built around her heart. She saw the hardening of the Queen’s resolve, that she would only love the people of Izland and no one else. No one but the select few, which included Sakura. But it seemed that her sister’s affection for the princess was coming back just as quickly. 

 

At this moment, Sakura wondered, maybe it was possible for the Princess to mend what she did not know she broke. 

 

Sakura finally remembered what she came to do by the princess’s request, and asked, “Will you be spending time with the Prince of Candor today?”

 

Eunbi did not bother hiding her frustration at the reminder. “He asked to have lunch together, though I'm inclined to decline. Besides, the less time he spends with me, the more he can spend deliberating with his council, and the sooner he can leave for his kingdom.” Eunbi raises an eyebrow. “Why?”

 

Sakura shrugs. “The Princess asked me to ask you.”

 

“Can't she ask me herself?” Eunbi narrowed her eyes, clear as day that she was intrigued as well by the whereabouts of the princess that made her miss breakfast. Sakura, and likely the entire populace of the palace, knew that both the Princess and the Queen cherished breakfast like it was their treasure, even if they were not willing to say it out loud. It was not hard to imagine that Eunbi must have been incredibly bothered by Chaeyeon’s absence this morning. That knowledge almost made Sakura spill Princess Chaeyeon’s plans. Almost.

 

“I'm not allowed to tell you. It’s a surprise. But I can tell you that she’ll meet you in the maze garden.”

 

“Fine.” Sakura almost laughs at the indignant, childish huff that the Queen let out. “Is there a reason why you’re still in my study?” Eunbi had gone back to her papers.

 

Sakura thought to leave after hearing the dismissal in the Queen’s tone. Yet she stayed. If she were to look back to this moment, she might even regret pushing her sister like this. But at the moment, she had thought she should, for Eunbi’s sake, get her to see and admit what is becoming more and more evident.

 

“Forgive me if I speak out of turn, but,” Sakura starts, “You seem to be close with the princess. You know her plans, you’ve accompanied her anytime you are not busy, and you’ve shared most of your meals with her.”

 

“Can you get to the point, Sakura?”

 

“There isn’t. I was just voicing my observation.”

 

“And that is?”

 

“You two seem fond of each other.”

 

Eunbi shrugs almost innocently. “Well I should hope to get along with her. I am married to her until death do us part.”

 

Again, Sakura presses on. “Is it not more than just getting along, though?”

 

“What are you implying?”

 

“I thought it was obvious what I’m implying––You have affection for her.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter