D-9

When the Stars Align
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

D-9

Excitement rings in the air as the final days begin to count down. The lively chatter of the bridesmaid, typical nagging of the bride’s mother trying to put her two cents in, obnoxious laughter of the groomsmen, and the barking of the wedding planner trying to bring everything together. Nari stares at the diagram in her hands, adjusting the positions of the wedding party. Usually, the wedding rehearsal takes place closer to the date, but tonight was the only time the venue had available on such short notice. Nari lets out a frustrated sigh. The entire wedding party wasn’t even present since it was a weekday evening. They were missing the groom, for heaven’s sake. She glances from her tablet to the wedding party, checking the spacing the best she can with the gaps. Her eyes twitch at the mess.

“Groomsmen, can we agree whether to place your hands in front or behind your back? We want the pictures to be as nice as possible.” Nari asks through slightly gritted teeth for about the third time tonight. The men chant a hasty apology before adjusting their hands again.
“Remember, you all must keep your bodies at an angle to the guests.” Nari calls out. She gestures her chin at the bridesmaids, signaling Jinju to go adjust their angling. Her assistant immediately scurries to the wedding stage, quickly correcting the bridemaids’ shoulders. Impatiently, Nari checks the time. Half past seven.

“Where’s the rest of the party? We can’t have a rehearsal with several of the main roles absent.” Nari says, her voice just at the edge of shouting. Dasom sends an apologetic smile from the altar. Safe to say, Nari isn’t affected by it.
“We’re here!” A familiar low voice thunders through the air. Nari’s eyes float to the entrance, spotting the tall man stumbling into the ceremony hall. He hasn’t changed at all. Baekhyun appears behind the tall male, his gaze automatically searching until it falls on his target: Nari. As soon as their eyes lock, he moves forward until he’s made his way to her. He’s breathing hard, trying to catch his breath after rushing to the venue straight from work. His hair sticks to his forehead, slightly damp from perspiration.
“I’m sorry… I’m late…” Baekhyun barely heaves the words out. Nari tightens her grip on her tablet. Baekhyun was supposed to be looking for his bride and apologizing to her first. What was he doing standing before her, making her heart swell for all the wrong reasons?
“Go to the altar. We’ll begin the rehearsal.” Nari directs, taking a few steps back to try and put some space between them. Baekhyun seems to linger in his spot a bit too long before he finally begins to move.

Nari turns her attention to the slowly approaching giant. She feels small and it’s not just because of his height. His curious and unhappy glare feels like boiling water being poured on her skin. He stops in his steps, lips pressed tightly to withhold his emotions.
“What are you doing here?” Chanyeol interrogates in an accusing whisper. Nari glances up at the altar where Baekhyun is greeting his bride-to-be. It would’ve been nice if he had explained things to his best man sooner. She sighs as she brings her attention back to Chanyeol.
“I’m doing what I was hired to do.” Nari answers, her face e

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter