- 2 - Circumstances

The Transfer

The Slytherin table went crazy after Hyunjin was sorted to the house of green and silver.

Heejin, on the other hand, was holding in her excitement and tried her best to not let the dissatisfied groans coming from the remaining houses to not ruin this moment for her.

She couldn't even imagine what the rest of the year would've been like if she'd have to see the transfer more often due to a shared common room and dormitory. WIth her mind a bit more at ease, Heejin was finally able to enjoy the rest of the night as she pushed away her worries for another day.

As the ceremony wrapped up and all of the new students were seated with their respective housemates, the feast began and food appeared in front of them in an instant.

Throughout the night, she talked, she laughed and more importantly, she flirted. Only in good fun though, never anything serious. Don't get her wrong, Heejin is actually quite the hopeless romantic. The only problem was that she set her standards fairly high and didn't want to date just to date. Because of this, she has always been teased by her friends.

"What was wrong with him this time?" Yves asks as she watches yet another fallen soldier lose the battle for Heejin's heart.

"He slouches," Heejin says nonchalantly, as if her reason were obvious.

"Slouching? I swear your reasons never cease to amaze me. For someone who always dreams of being in a relationship, you do tend to avoid it whenever the opportunity arises."

"Is it wrong of me to want to wait for the right person? And you're one to talk seeing that you aren't that successful at relationships either," Heejin smiles as she lowers her voice. "You've had a crush on Jiwoo for what, 4 years now? And have yet to make a move."

"Alright you've made your point," Yves sighs in defeat and looks at Gowon. "How come you got to be so lucky?"

A shy smile graces Gowon's face as she glances over to the Slytherin table, "I ask myself the same question everyday." She blushes as her girlfriend waves at her cutely, "You know what, I'm going to call her over so she can give you guys some tips."

"Oh no that's not neces-"

"That's kinda embarras-"

But it was too late, as they watch Olivia get out of her seat and head towards the trio. To make matters worse for one particular Ravenclaw, she didn't come alone.

So much for pushing Heejin's worries away for the night as a nuisance came into her sight.

"Hi honey," Olivia says sweetly before glaring at a nearby Ravenclaw to make them scoot over so she could peck Gowon's cheek. "Was there something you needed?"

"Not me specifically, but Yves and Heejin need some relationship advice and I thought who better to help them than my amazing girlfriend."

Yves buries her head in her hands while Heejin groans in embarrassment at the couple's actions.

"How cute."

Heejin's head whips towards the unfamiliar voice. She looks up and is met with a smug grin. A grin Heejin knows that she'll grow to despise. Hating the fact that Hyunjin was looking down at her, she stands up from her seat in hopes of meeting her eye-to-eye. But to her utter disappointment, Hyunjin was still a bit taller than her. Instead of letting this fact get to her, she puts up a fake smile.

"Oh, you think I'm cute?" Heejin responds in a flirty manner in hopes to fluster the girl a bit.

What she doesn't expect is for the slightly taller girl to take a small step back and proceed to look her body up and down.

Is she seriously checking me out right now?! Heejin's body heats up at the thought.

"Wait a second... I've seen you before," Hyunjin's face hardens. "It was you! You owe me an apology!"

Whatever was going through Heejin's head vanishes in an instant.

"An apology? I've literally never seen you until now," Heejin starts, trying to hide her now growing annoyance at the ridiculous accusation.

"You seriously don't remember?" Hyunjin was in disbelief. "I was talking to some of the first-years near the boats this morning and then you rudely bumped into me without any sort of remorse."

Oh.

"That was you?!" The Ravenclaw recalls the moment. Now although she isn't exactly Hyunjin's biggest fan, she still holds responsibility for her actions. So, she decided that she'll give a quick apology and then go back to disliking her. "Well look, I'm truly sor-"

"Oh no, it's too late for that now," the annoying grin re Hyunjin's face. "There's only one form of an apology that I'll accept now and from the looks of it, you seem like a people pleaser."

Heejin crosses her arms at the notion, but unfortunately there was some truth to the Slytherin's words. Heejin may love attention, but the negative type is not what she strives for. "So, what exactly are you trying to ask me then?"

"Go on a date with me."

Suddenly, oohs and ahhs could be heard throughout the hall. It was then when Heejin finally noticed that the entire hall had quieted down ever since she had stood up. Even the professors were watching them in amusement.

Heejin couldn't believe it. This wasn't how this was supposed to go. When she was finally going to say yes to her first date it was supposed to be romantic. It was supposed to be with someone special. Not Kim Hyunjin. A girl she barely knew, yet still manages to put her in a sour mood at the mention of her name. 

She could say no of course, but her life was never that simple. Heejin is not one to let her faults go unresolved and right now she very badly wants to make an exception, but her reputation prevents her from doing so. Refusing Hyunjin's request is essentially refusing to apologize and that is not something she wants to be associated with. Especially not when the entire school is watching.

"Fine."

----- The Next Day -----

When Heejin woke up the next morning, her head was pounding in pain and the alarm clock going off was certainly not helping.

"Why me," she wailed in exaggeration. "I can never catch a break can I? It's only the second day for goodness sake!"

"Quick Gowon, get her signature! I think we're living with a future Academy Award winner for best whiner!" In an instant, Yves was hit by a thrown pillow but that didn't stop her from laughing.

Heejin sat up groggily and yawned as she stretched her arms into the air. For a moment, she forgot about everything that had transpired the day before. It was only a few more seconds until she was brought back to reality.

"So are we going to talk about it?"

"Talk about what?" Heejin jumps out of bed and starts to get dressed quickly, in hopes of avoiding that conversation.

"Don't play dumb," Gowon says as she puts on her own robe. "You know I owe Olivia 20 dollars and I have to plan my next date because of you? I at planning dates. Why couldn't you wait to say yes to a date until next semester?"

"Wait... Did you make a bet with your girlfriend about my dating life?!"

"It was just for fun," Gowon teased. "One thing I will say though was that I never would've bet that your first date would have been with Hyu-"

"Okay bye!" Heejin rushes at the door as she was finally all dressed up.

Just before Heejin was out of earshot, she hears Yves yell out, "You can't avoid her forever, Heejin!" 

And unfortunately for her, Yves was right.

-----

Heejin was now sitting in the courtyard having just finished her last lesson of the day, Charms.

She was supposed to be working on the homework, but a Gryffindor girl had sat next to her and was clearly trying to flirt. In all honesty, Heejin wasn't really paying attention to what the girl, whose name she thinks is Kim Lip, was saying. Heejin was feeling a bit guilty because the girl is actually very pretty and she's probably very sweet, but the Ravenclaw had too many other things on her mind that she just nodded and laughed whenever the moment seemed necessary.

"Heejin, there you are!"

A wave of relief washed over Heejin knowing that her conversation with the Gryffindor was about to be over due to the interruption.

She looked away from Kim Lip to see who her savior was, but immediately regretted it at the sight of a Slytherin.

Once Hyunjin had reached the table, she acknowledges the Gryffindor first.

"Hey, you're Kim Lip right?"

Heejin nearly gags at the way Kim Lip blushes in the Slytherin's presence. "Y-you know who I am?"

"Of course, we're in potions together. I was partnered up with your friend, Jiwoo, and she pointed you out to me," Hyunjin sends the girl a friendly smile.

She knows Jiwoo? Heejin thinks, before returning her focus back to the two in front of her.

"Do you mind if I take your spot for a minute? There's something I've got to talk to Heejin about."

Kim Lip quickly realizes what the Slytherin was referring to considering that everyone witnessed what had happened in the Great Hall last night. She glances between Heejin and Hyunjin nervously before standing, "O-Of course! I'll just uh-go."

Once the Gryffindor was out of sight, it was now only the two of them left in the courtyard.

Hyunjin moved to sit down, but was forced to a stop as Heejin raised her hand.

"No need for that," Heejin says coldly as she opens her textbook to study. "What do you want?"

Hyunjin laughs in response, "I hope you know that your cold attitude makes you look very hot." She pushes Heejin's hand away and sits down next to her.

"And you look revolting," Heejin says as she slides a bit away from the other girl, her eyes going back to her book.

Hyunjin pretends to act offended at the comment, but her smirk never falters. "You say that and yet if I recall correctly, you agreed to go on a date with me."

At that, Heejin shuts her book closed before facing Hyunjin.

"Let's get one thing straight, I'm only going on this date with you as a form of an apology and not for any other reason. It's simply a matter of circumstance."

WIth Hyunjin's lack of response, Heejin gathers her things and starts to leave.

After a few steps, Hyunjin speaks out.

"Hold on a sec! We're supposed to discuss our date."

Heejin spins on her heels and looks at the Slytherin.

"Saturday, seven o'clock," she says bluntly. "Pick me up at the entrance of Ravenclaw Tower. It doesn't matter to me what we do because frankly, I don't care."

-----

As Heejin makes her way back to the Tower, she wishes she could cast the Muffliato Charm on herself to block out those around her.

The whispers were no longer just "Heejin" or just "Hyunjin," it was now "Heejin and Hyunjin" all in one breath.

And for the very first time, Heejin wished people would leave her name out of their mouth.


A/N: What a turn of events! I wonder what their date will entail...

Thanks for all the kind comments and keep your feedback coming! If you have any ideas of your own that you'd like to see in the future, I'm open to hearing them!

Til the next - S