- 6 - Coming To

The Transfer

----- November -----

"Let's make this worthwhile she said," Heejin mimics to herself in a grumpy tone as she crumples yet another piece of paper. She throws it towards the trashcan but misses, it landing on the floor near many other pieces of paper. "Let's have fun she said. This is not fun."

"Sounds like Miss Grumpy has returned," Yves says as she enters their room. "What are you grumbling about this time?"

"Hyunjin," Heejin whines. "She says it's my turn to plan our date."

"What's so bad about that?" Yves summons an open bag of chips in her hands and starts munching away. "Have you not planned one yet?"

"First of all, please don't talk with your mouth full," Heejin says in disgust. "But no, I have not."

Yves nearly spoke, but stopped herself making sure to swallow her food first.

"Really?!" Yves finally exclaims. "You guys have been on how many dates now and you're telling me you haven't planned one single date?"

Out of the few dates that they've been on before the Quidditch game, Heejin didn't give any of her own ideas as to what to do. Honestly, she didn't think she'd have to considering that the dates were just for show.

So, fortunately but unfortunately for Heejin, Yves was right and because of Hyunjin's insistence, the two have been going on dates every Saturday ever since the night in the infirmary.

** Flashback **

"Let's make this worthwhile, Jeon."

"Worthwhile?" Heejin asks.

"In the future, I want you to look back at this time and not have any regrets. I know I don't want to so let's change it up!" Hyunjin begins. "First, on the few 'dates' we've been on since we've been a 'couple' have been too simple, don't you think? All we do is go to The Three Broomsticks and study or eat. So, I say that every Saturday from now on, we are going to go on a fake-date BUT we are actually going to have some fun."

"Fun? With you?"

"Oh come on," the Slytherin playfully whines. "You won't regret it once you've had a taste of the 'Hyunjin-Experience.' You'll be wishing you were actually my girlfriend, guaranteed."

"Please tell me you did not actually let that come out of your mouth," Heejin rolls her eyes. At this point, as she looks up at the ceiling, she knows she won't be able to go back to sleep with Hyunjin around so she starts to get up.

"Okay, fine, fine," Hyunjin says frantically as she gets up from her bed as well to stop the girl from leaving. This was a mistake seeing that her injuries weren't completely healed yet and so she groans in pain. She tries to hide it, but Heejin notices immediately.

The Ravenclaw rushes from her bed to help make Hyunjin lie back down.

"Gosh, you're an idiot," Heejin says, now gently putting her arm around Hyunjin's back for support as she lowers the girl.

Hyunjin laughs as she feels her head hit the pillow, then grins, "But I'm your idiot."

Heejin freezes before coming back to reality and hiding her tinted cheeks.

"Aish, there's no need to flirt with me when no one's around," Heejin scoffs, starting to regret opening up to the girl. Once she thinks Hyunjin looks comfortable, she moves to leave.

"Wait," Hyunjin grabs her hand, stopping her movements. "I was serious though. Every Saturday, let's go out and actually get to know each other... o-on a platonic level of course! I mean, we can at least make the 'friend' part in 'girlfriend' real, right?"

Now this. This was risky. When Heejin agreed to this whole thing she drew a line for herself. A line she shouldn't cross because it's Kim Hyunjin. Her rival. Her competition. It's one thing to pretend to be girlfriends, but then to actually be friends? That could lead to possibilities that she might not want to face.

But then again, she's the Jeon Heejin. She's not afraid of anything. As for that line? She's got a strong enough will to go nowhere near it. Hell, it won't even be in her sight.

So it, she thinks, let's have some 'fun'.

** 

Initially and to her own surprise, Heejin was having some fun.

Since then, the couple has been on two Saturday dates consisting of a picnic on the quidditch pitch where Heejin finally found someone who was also a nerd of the sport and on the second date, Hyunjin did her best to teach Heejin how to play the guitar.

("I'm telling you my hands are too small for this."

"After some practice you'll get used to it!" Hyunjin tries to encourage.

Many hours later, Heejin managed to play the first verse of her favorite song and she couldn't believe it.

"D-Did you hear that?!" Heejin squealed and the Slytherin gave her a beaming, eye-crinkling, proud smile.)

In addition to that, the pair even had a few impromptu dates too.

One night when she was in her room bored to death, Gowon had come in with a playful smirk.

("Your girlfriend's asking for you, she's waiting at the bottom of the Tower."

"Really?"

Gowon simply nods in amusement and Heejin heads down in confusion. 

"What's going on?" Heejin asks once she finally reaches the girl.

Hyunjin offers her hand and raises an eyebrow, "You, me, game night date in the good ol' Room of Require-"

"That room is our secret!" Heejin whispers quickly and quietly after she rushed to cover Hyunjin's mouth with her hand. 

"Sho, ish thaht ah yesh?" Hyunjin's voice muffles.

"Duh," Heejin smirks and drops her hand. "You know I love kicking your . Figuratively and literally."

She playfully kicks Hyunjin's before bolting towards the location of their sudden date, knowing full well that Hyunjin was going to chase her.

"Why is it always the ?" Hyunjin mutters sorrowfully before eventually going after the Ravenclaw with a chuckle.)

So, they also had impromptu game night dates too and even did it as a double date with Olivia and Gowon once, but not in the Room of Requirement of course. And out of all of these dates, not only was she actually enjoying them, but Hyunjin had planned or initiated every single one so far and Heejin didn't mind one bit. In her opinion, it was going as good as it needed to be. Especially with their dates having zero romantic undertones.

Overall, she was glad she never had to plan one and thought she wouldn't have to, but then Hyunjin just had to say those cursed words.

** Earlier that week **

"It's your turn Heejin," Hyunjin piped up.

"For what?"

"I want to know what a Jeon Heejin date looks like."

"A Jeon Heejin date? I don't think so... I'm not good at this kinda stuff."

"Have you never daydreamed about going on dates before?"

"I have, but I feel like they might seem boring."

"You never know until you try!"

"No, it's okay. Let's just-"

"Scared of a challenge, eh?" Hyunjin grins, knowing that Heejin won't say no now.

** Present **

Now, here she is, trying to one-up Hyunjin yet again, but failing miserably. She has spent nearly the entire week trying to come up with something other than what she would normally imagine. Sure, that's the opposite than what Hyunjin had asked of her, but Heejin's still not confident enough to think that her ideal date would be fun for the other girl. Of course, Heejin thought their first date was perfect, but she can't copy that idea especially since they even turned it into their impromptu date nights already too. If anything, she knew that Hyunjin would like the smaller and intimate dates as well because of that, but she was still doubtful of her own ideas.

She sighs to herself as she looks out the window, watching the recently arrived snow land against it.

"I can hear your overthinking from here," Yves speaks out from her bed, still eating her chips. It breaks Heejin's despairing thoughts.

"I don't know what to do," Heejin pouts. "Can you come up with something for me?"

"Oh no no no. What makes you think I'd be good at this type of stuff too? Just... Just go with what your heart desires. I know that sounds cheesy, but I'm sure Hyun will appreciate whatever you plan because she's literally whipped for your ."

Whipped?

"Hyun? When did you start calling her that?" Heejin asks instead of addressing Yves' last comment.

"Didn't I tell you? We've become closer bros because she's been helping me get with Jiwoo since they know each other from class!" Yves perks up. "But getting back to the matter at hand, just be you, Heej. I know deep down you already have an idea. Just go for it!"

Heejin takes one look at the pile of crumpled pieces of a paper on the floor and lets out a deep breath. The idea of creating a better date than Hyunjin drifting from her mind.

What's the worse that could happen?

"Okay, I guess I'll give it a go," Heejin gives up in defeat. Afterwards, she gets up from her desk chair and goes to sit next to Yves excitedly, "Now tell me about Jiwoo!"

----- Saturday Evening -----

"Alright, alright, alright!" Hyunjin says enthusiastically. "I am ready for the Jeon Heejin date experience!"

The couple were currently at Hogwarts' entrance about to start their date and Hyunjin was being embarrassingly loud. 

"Why me?" Heejin mumbles to herself as she hides her face behind her hand. She looks to Hyunjin and sees the girl reeling in excitement.

"So what are we going to be doing today, babe? Is it going to beat my amazing dates so far?"

"I don't know if I'd call them amazing."

Hyunjin just laughs in response, "Well then let's see what constitutes as an 'amazing date' according to Jeon Heejin, shall we?"

The Slytherin offers her arm and Heejin loops hers around it and starts to lead the two out of the castle. Their first stop was going to be The Three Broomsticks and get some hot chocolate to-go. Then as they take a casual walk back to Hogwarts, they'd talk and "get to know each other" as Hyunjin has said. Finally, at some point Heejin planned a small surprise.

See? Simple.

It was practically what they had done in the past, but tweaked enough to call it different.

The voice in the back of head kept telling her that it was a horrible idea, no one would have fun on such a boring date. These thoughts had been consuming her leading up to when she met up with Hyunjin. Once she told the Slytherin what the plan was (without mentioning her surprise), she was shocked at how Hyunjin had reacted.

"That's it?" Hyunjin says as they stepped out of the castle and onto the cleared snow path.

Heejin deflated at the question. She saw this coming, "I know, it probably sounds-"

"It sounds perfect actually," Hyunjin looks at her with a warm smile. Heejin's skepticism must have been visible because she feels Hyunjin move to hold her hand and gives it a light squeeze. "I mean it."

Heejin was at a loss for words. All this worrying and panicking was for nothing. She starts to wonder that maybe Hyunjin is just being nice, that Hyunjin doesn't want her to feel bad. Or, did Heejin just get lucky and find someone who had similar preferences to hers? Maybe in another world, Heejin thinks, that her and Hyunjin would've been a great couple. 

They have a fairly tame conversation on the way to the inn. They just talk about how their day went, how well they were doing with classes and so on. But as they started their slower stroll back to Hogwarts, their topics change.

"You know, when you were teaching me how to play guitar you never told me how you got into playing in the first place."

Hyunjin's face turns red and she looks off to the side, "Oh, it was nothing."

"Oh it was clearly something, Kim," Heejin shakes their intertwined hands in hopes for Hyunjin to reveal more. "You wanted to get to know each other, so let's get to know each other."

Hyunjin sighs, "When we were younger, my older sister and I started a band.. well kinda. I'd play guitar and we'd both sing."

"You sing?!?" Heejin stops in her tracks. "And a band, huh? What's the band called?"

Hyunjin pretends to cough as she says the name raggedly.

"I'm sorry?"

"H20," Hyunjin says quickly. Before Heejin asks, Hyunjin then decides to explain the name. "We were called H20 because for one, there's two of us and both of our names start with H. Her name's Haseul. And the H20 part is because... oh god do I really have to explain that part?"

Heejin nods enthusiastically.

"Okay first, let me put this on the record and say that this was NOT my idea," Hyunjin takes a deep breath. "We're H20 because our vocals and looks will leave you thirsty for more..."

Heejin has to cover from laughing, "Well holy , I cannot believe I am in the presence of a former H20 band member."

"Okay okay, laugh all you want but we were a hit at Durmstrang!"

That only makes Heejin want to laugh even more.

"Please sing for me one day," the Ravenclaw starts to touch . "I'm thirsty for it."

Hyunjin lets go of her hand and starts to walk away. Instantly, Heejin stops her teasing and rushes after the girl, re-intertwining their hands as if it were second nature once she's caught up.

"Okay I'll stop with the jokes," Heejin says. "But please sing for me one day, I actually want to hear it."

"I don't think so," Hyunjin states plainly, although Heejin can tell that Hyunjin didn't say it in a mean way. Moreso, in a lack of confidence way so she asks one more time.

"Pretty please? For your girlfriend? OH! You could write me a love song! I've always wanted someone to sing one to me."

Now that was very true, Heejin was an absolute er for love songs and the idea of someone writing one about her made her swoon. Even if it's from Hyunjin, a love song is a love song. She's so enamored with the idea that if any of her former or even current suitors had sang an original for her, she would've at least agree to one date. But to her surprise, no one ever did. So now that an opportunity had arised, she wanted to take advantage of it.

Now it was Hyunjin's turn to laugh, "A love song?"

It was then when the shorter girl sends the other some puppy dog eyes.

"Fine, but I can't guarantee it'll be great."

"Yay!" Heejin squeals and starts jumping up and down in excitement. "It better be the best fake love song to ever exist!"

"Well, don't get your hopes too high," Hyunjin tries to calm her down. "I don't even know if I'll be able to make a decent one in just a month."

A month.

Heejin forgot that their deal will be ending soon. The reminder makes her feel weird, but doesn't dwell on it and instead changes the subject. After they walk and talk for the next couple of minutes, she suggests they take a seat at a nearby bench.

"Close your eyes," she demands as they both put their cup of hot chocolate down on the ground.

"Uhh, you're not going to kill me are you?"

"Ha. Ha," Heejin grabs Hyunjin's hands and places them over her eyes. "I have a surprise for you. No peeking!"

Heejin starts to walk around the bench and hears Hyunjin continue to talk to her, "You know, I have to admit. Now that I'm getting to know you, you're a lot cooler than I expected to be."

"Really now?" Heejin leans down and picks something up. "So, do you still think getting to know me was going to be hmm.. what did you call it? A waste of time?"

Hyunjin awkwardly chuckles at the callout, "Alright, I was wrong and I'm sorry for saying that..."

Heejin reels back her arm, "It's all good. Just don't get mad..."

"Why would I get mad-"

*PHOOPH*

Hyunjin's eyes shoot open as remnants of a very cold snowball enter the exposed cracks in her scarf and onto her neck. The Slytherin slowly rises from the bench and turns around to face Heejin, who was standing behind her self-made snow wall.

"Bullseye!" Heejin yells out in glee, before getting nervous at Hyunjin's silence. "Oh ."

"You are so dead, Jeon!" Hyunjin smiles devilishly as she reaches down to start creating snowballs of her own.

Heejin screams playfully and the two start throwing as many snowballs at each other. Heejin hides behind her wall as Hyunjin ducks behind the bench. After a few more tosses, Hyunjin decides to rush the other girl and starts chasing her around the field.

Despite the fact that Heejin was slightly terrified, she was enjoying every second and could tell that Hyunjin was too. They noticed a few students were walking by and they probably thought that the two of them must look crazy, but neither seemed to care as they were too caught up in their own fun.

Eventually, Heejin's fatigue started catching up to her and was prepared for Hyunjin to get her. When she was caught however, she once again did not land how she had expected. She feels Hyunjin pull her down, but instead of her landing face first into the snow, she lands on a body. She starts to get worried about hurting Hyunjin for the second time, but to her relief the girl below her starts to laugh.

"Geez Heej, I didn't realize you liked being on top so much!" Hyunjin raises a brow teasingly before her smile widens and her crescent eyes make a return.

While still on top of her, Heejin smacks the Slytherin's arm, "You're the one who keeps putting us in this position!"

The beating doesn't stop Hyunjin from having her fit of laughter, "Yet you're the one still on top of me."

Heejin groans in annoyance, but still doesn't move, "Will you shut up?!"

"Make me."

...

Time seems to freeze as Heejin realizes how close their faces were. Her eyes flicking down to Hyunjin's lips before meeting her eyes again.

A second passes.

And she goes for it.

Electricity seems to flow through her as their lips meet for the second time. Then, she feels it again. That feeling of intoxication and not wanting to stop. The feeling of pressure that Hyunjin's lips place against hers was addicting and she didn't want this sensation to end.

But alas, she feels the pressure disappear and opens her eyes to see Hyunjin pulling back. They stare at each other in silence for what feels like an eternity with Heejin unable to speak. She feels herself getting lost in Hyunjin's eyes as if trying to find something, but then...

"Did they see it?"

What.

She watches in stunned confusion as Hyunjin turns her head and take a glance off to the side. It was like she was in the inn all over again. Heejin lifts her head and looks towards the area Hyunjin was looking at.

There, in the distance, were a couple of Hogwarts students who were not-so-subtly watching them.

Oh no.

She feels Hyunjin shift under her and took that as a sign to finally get off of the girl. Once stood up, they wipe off any lingering snow on their clothes and make their way back to the bench to pick up their hot chocolate cups.

"Shall we head home and warm up, baby?" Hyunjin says casually as those lingering Hogwarts students pass by. Heejin just nods.

The rest of the short trip back to Hogwarts was relatively quiet. For the Ravenclaw, it felt awkward but it didn't seem that way for Hyunjin. In fact, Hyunjin seemed unfazed as she reached down to grab and intertwine their hands again.

Once they reach the bottom of Ravenclaw Tower, they start to say their goodnights.

"That date was amazing, Heej," Hyunjin compliments as she faces the girl. "Probably one of the best dates of my life, if I'm being honest."

"Oh shut up," Heejin says a bit awkwardly.

"I'm serious! I really had a lot of fun," Hyunjin admits before lowering her voice, "You know, whoever manages to actually call you their girlfriend in the future will be extremely lucky. I would know."

Hyunjin nudges her side.

"Yeah... thanks," Heejin says shyly. She mutters a quick goodnight and turns to leave, but is suddenly tugged back by the arm.

Hyunjin had pulled her into a hug, her vanilla scent consuming Heejin's senses. Unconsciously, she wraps her arms around Hyunjin as well.

"I'll see you tomorrow, babe. Goodnight and sleep tight," Hyunjin whispers in her hair. She feels a quick peck against her temple and Hyunjin unwraps her arms around her. They give each other a final wave and part ways.

--

When Heejin arrives to her room, neither Yves nor Gowon were there but she doesn't seem to care. Her thoughts were too preoccupied. After doing her nighttime routine, Heejin plops onto her bed and then buries herself under her blanket. She tries to fall asleep and closes her eyes.

It was then when she saw it.

 

The line.


A/N: That cursed line.

I'm sure you all know what that line means ;)

Whoo this one was a doozy, but I had so much fun writing it!

Lemme know what you guys thought of the chapter here and on twitter :)

(Please stream Wendy's album Like Water coming out on April 5th!)

- S

@rv_twice5 on twitter