- 23 - The Art of Denial Pt. 1

The Transfer

Hyunjin. Hyunjin. Hyunjin.

Heejin had been so consumed with Chaeyoung that the Slytherin never really crossed her mind and honestly, she really did enjoy not having to worry herself over Hyunjin these past weeks. So, the encounter those few nights ago seemed all too soon for Hyunjin to once again invade her mind almost every second of every hour. And it definitely doesn't help whenever she's in the presence of the Slytherin either.

"Heej?"

"I'm sorry- what did you say?" Heejin falls back into reality after her eyes leave Hyunjin, who had just entered the library.

"Are you okay? Your mind has seemed a bit scattered all day," Chaeyoung says with a small pout in concern. "It's like something has been distracting you lately? You’ve been zoning out on me a few times."

Hyunjin. Hyunjin is with another girl. Hyunjin. 

"I'm perfectly fine!" Heejin says to only realize she may have said it a bit too quickly and loudly. She makes eye contact with the librarian and lowers her voice in embarrassment. "Seriously, just um…" 

Heejin's eyes flicker to Hyunjin for a brief moment yet again.

"Just a uh- an off day, I guess," Heejin finishes as she brings her full attention back to the girl sitting next to her. And to both her surprise and her relief, Chaeyoung didn't press the matter further and instead opted with a supportive kiss on Heejin’s temple. Once again proving just how amazing the other Ravenclaw seems to be able to read her. As a way of saying thanks, she decides to give the girl an actual kiss and places her fingers under Chaeyoung’s chin to guide her to her lips. She’s hit with the familiar sensation and it easily brings a smile to her face.

But in seconds, the familiar suddenly felt out of the norm. The welcoming warmth had felt unrecognizably cold. And now, she’s increasingly more aware of everything that was different than what she was really used to. What she really found comforting. Who she really found comforting. Heejin pulls back as her eyes shoot open and the first thing her gaze seems to land on is-

Hyunjin.

“Can we go somewhere else?” Heejin says, almost desparately.

“Wherever you want to go,” Chaeyoung stands with an easing smile and offers her hand.

They leave the courtyard hand in hand and it takes everything within Heejin to not look back at a particular Slytherin nor compare the hand she’s currently holding to her either.

 

-----

 

“What about this?” Chaeyoung holds up a shirt to show Heejin. The two were currently in Hogsmeade looking for a gift for Heejin’s mother as her birthday was coming up.

“I don’t think that’s really her style. Or at least I don’t think it is,” Heejin whines in frustration. “Ugh, I don’t know, Chae. She’s just so hard to shop for.”

“I’m sure she’ll appreciate whatever you give her,” Chaeyoung rubs Heejin’s arms up and down for comfort. “But if you really want to get her something you’ll know she’ll enjoy, how about we go get some food and brainstorm as we eat?”

“Good call,” Heejin agrees easily and they make their way to The Three Broomsticks. Once settled, they begin eating and talking about what type of things her mom is interested in when a voice cuts in.

“Heejin! Is that you?” A bright, yet irritating tone invades Heejin’s ear.

She and Chaeyoung turn to the source and Heejin immediately scowls.

“Oh!” Choerry continues. “Who is this lovely lady?”

Heejin just wants to ask her to leave, but Chaeyoung responds with a welcoming smile, “Lee Chaeyoung, nice to meet you.”

“I'm Choi Choerry. So, what are you guys up to? It’s been so long since we’ve last spoken properly, Heejin,” Choerry playfully pokes her arm. “Not to be an eavesdropper, but I think you two were talking about gifts right?”

Heejin does her best to stay composed and answers quickly, “Just thinking of what gift to give my mom.”

“Well, isn’t that just wonderful,” Choerry says and then there’s an awkward pause.

Something’s up…, Heejin suspects. Why would she bother talking to me now?

Heejin doesn’t ask the girl any questions as it would keep the conversation going, so she stays silent. However, sweet sweet Chaeyoung who’s well-mannered, goes, “Maybe you could help us then?”

She knows Chaeyoung is simply trying to help her out, but the last person that Heejin wanted help from was Choerry.

“Aw, Heejin can’t think of anything, huh?” It sounds like she’s concerned, but Heejin can hear the mocking in Choerry’s voice. The other girl tends to hide it well, but Heejin has heard it too many times to be able to recognize it.

Heejin is too busy looking at Choerry suspiciously as another voice approaches her blind side, “Ah, there you are. I went back to our table but you were gone. Who are you-”

And when Heejin makes sudden eye contact with the person that stands next to Choerry, everything clicks into her head.

“Oh Hyunnie-"

Hyunnie?!

"-We were just talking about how Heejin can’t think of a gift to get her mom and was asking me for some ideas. Do you have any?” Choerry asks as she latches onto Hyunjin’s side. At the same time, Hyunjin’s eyes were shifting back and forth between Heejin and Chaeyoung as if taking in the fact that Heejin was on an actual date. And Heejin found it quite amusing.

“No, it’s alright, We don’t want to keep you from your plans,” Heejin says first and reaches out to hold Chaeyoung’s hand, once again catching Hyunjin’s attention. Heejin smirks at the sight, “Thanks for the help, but I think Chae and I will be able to think of something, right babe ?”

Chaeyoung gives her a curious look for a brief moment.

“If you say so,” Choerry smiles devilishly before looking around the Inn. Her eyes shine brightly, “Let’s sit here, Hyunnie.”

Heejin grits her teeth when Choerry leads them one table over, but she braves a smile and looks back at Chaeyoung. The two pick up their conversation from where they left off and as they talk, it reminds her that when she’s with Chaeyoung, neither her smile nor her laughter ever feels forced when she’s with the girl. And so, it was no surprise to Heejin that Chaeyoung’s liveliness almost makes Heejin forget the other two people who weren’t sitting that far away. Almost.

Her eyes can’t help but drift. Drifting at the sight of touches. Drifting at the sound of compliments. Drifting at the sight of smiles. Drifting at the sound of a laugh that she could recognize anywhere.

Unconsciously, Heejin finds herself exaggerating her own actions as if testing to see if Hyunjin was noticing and thinking the same thing. If her eyes were drifting as well. 

“You ready?” Chaeyoung asks, garnering Heejin's full attention.

“Sorry? I mean, yes I am ready to go,” Heejin’s eyes return to the Ravenclaw in front of her.

“Alright, I’m just going to go to the bathroom real quick and then we can head back out to the stores to find something for her,” Chaeyoung tells her before leaving her to her lonesome. Once out of sight, Heejin keeps her eyes glued to the table, taking a few sips of the last of her drink every once in a while. As she waits, the question of what to get her mom comes to the forefront of her thoughts. She was running out of time if she wanted to make sure her mom got the gift in the mail in time.

“Get her yarn.”

“What?” Heejin looks to her right and notices Hyunjin was sitting alone too, eyes focused on her food

“Your mom. Get her yarn. Back then, she was telling me how she never had time to go out and get yarn for her knitting,” Hyunjin explains and then goes back to casually eating her food as if she hadn’t just talked to her. 

And just like that, it pisses Heejin off at how easily Hyunjin was able to come up with something that made complete sense. She’s bitter at the practically perfect solution to the problem she’s faced for days. She’s angered at being reminded of back then and how much her parents liked her. And she’s ticked off at knowing how perfect they could have-

“I don’t need your help. I don’t want anything from you.”

Then, Chaeyoung returns and Heejin makes them leave The Three Broomsticks in a rush, not wanting to last another second in the presence of the Slytherin.

And later on, Heejin leaves Hogsmeade with bundles of yarn.

 

----- Valentine’s Day -----

 

It was a Friday morning and the three best friends were all lying down on their respective beds as they spoke to one another in their room–all with varying degrees of consciousness.

“Oh! I wonder what Olivia is going to do today,” Gowon says dreamily in excitement. “She acts like she has such a cold exterior, but she really has the softest heart. I just know she’s going to do something cute. She said she wasn’t planning anything major, but I know she definitely has a surprise. I mean it is Valentine’s after all!”

“Ah yes, Valentine’s day. A holiday that reminds me even more of my sad, single life,” Yves says dramatically.

"Maybe instead of sulking, you can finally ask Jiwoo out today? You two have been talking for a while now," Heejin suggests.

"Well then how come you haven't asked Chae to officially be your girlfriend since you spend a lot of time together too? If you do that, then I'll ask Jiwoo."

"I-," Heejin fumbles, taken aback by the question. Yves had a point, but Heejin reasons that it's because she isn't one to make the first move when it comes to stuff like that. People always came to her. Hell, it was even Hyunjin who took initiative most of the time…

Hyunjin?! Stop thinking of her!

"Easier said than done, right?" Yves sighs. "Plus, I think she likes someone else. Every time we talk, she always looks at me but it’s like she’s not? Her gaze is on me, but she seems lost in thought or distracted by something. So, she’s probably thinking of someone else whenever she’s with me.”

Hearing that, tingles run throughout Heejin’s body as she thinks about how Chaeyoung had said something similar but about her. If Yves thinks this way, surely Chaeyoung must be having similar thoughts. Does Chaeyoung think Heejin is not interested in her? Heejin hopes not. She does like Chaeyoung, but the question really seems to be to what extent? Friends, friends with benefits, or something more?

“Well, unless she explicitly told you that she likes someone else, I think you should still take your shot,” Gowon encourages. “And what better day than the most romantic of all?”

“And if she says no?” Yves asks.

“Then, Heejin and I will have an ice cream tub at the ready! Right, Heej?”

“Yup! And if she says yes, we can have ice cream to celebrate!”

A beat passes, “You guys get on my nerves sometimes, but you two really are my best friends.”

Instantly, Heejin and Gowon start making disgusted noises at Yves’ sudden greasiness and the shorter duo get out of bed to start getting ready for the day.

“You act like you hate it, but I know you love it!” Yves sits up, and all three friends burst into laughter.

 

--

 

Typically during breakfast, that is when all of the owls fly in to deliver mail and today was no different. However, what each bird held ranged from letters, flowers, chocolates and so much more Valentine-related items. To no surprise, Heejin was given a few anonymous Valentine’s gifts to which she was extremely grateful. She had just caught another gift when a delighted shriek caught the attention of the entire hall.

"Aw! How'd you know that these were my favorite flowers, Hyunnie?"

"Because you told me," Hyunjin laughs.

Heejin immediately rolls her eyes at Choerry's excitement. The girl was being unnecessarily loud at such an early time.

What a small bouquet. It doesn't even compare to the ones Hyunjin sent me before and that was just a regular day!

As if she could tell Heejin was thinking about her, Hyunjin unexpectedly met her eyes. Heejin silently mouths 'That's the best you can do?' and laughs to herself. 

Then, she turns her attention back to the envelope that she had just caught. The card was a mix of blue, silver and gold with the three quidditch goalposts rings shaped as hearts. She opens the card and her eyes widen at what she sees. Yelping in excitement, she drops the card on the table and brings her hands to and shock, catching the attention of some people.

“What? What is it?” Yves asks her and then looks down at what was inside the card. “Holy ! They got you Quidditch World Cup tickets?!? You’ve always wanted to go!!”

Heejin squeals enthusiastically, “I know!”

“Who are they from?” Gowon asks. “Chaeyoung, right?”

Heejin doesn’t say it outloud, but she knew that it couldn’t be from Chaeyoung as they had both agreed beforehand to not do any cliché Valentine’s stuff and just treat it like any other day. But maybe Chaeyoung had lied and Heejin can't help but feel very excited.

So now, she was just as curious to find out who had gone to such lengths for her and so she picks up the card again and reads aloud, “Just like the golden snitch, you’ve snatched my heart. Love-”

The card was taken from her grasp. “You weren’t supposed to get that,” the stealer pants out, assumedly tired from having just rushed over to their table.

Heejin looks at the person then immediately takes the card and tickets back, “Well clearly I was supposed to, considering that I received it from my owl.”

“I forgot to get it back from her,” Hyunjin explains and holds out her hand. “I got that as a gift for my Valentine and last time I checked, you are nowhere near it anymore.”

For some reason, there’s a pang in Heejin’s heart when she hears it.

“Then, you can have this back,” Heejin extends only the Valentine’s card, not the tickets. Hyunjin takes the card, but doesn’t back down just yet.

“Don’t be ridiculous, Heejin. Stop acting like a child and give back what’s mine,” Hyunjin points out.

“I’m acting like a child? This was a gift and it’s not my problem that you failed to remember to get them back from my owl! No take-backsies,” Heejin huffs.

“Yes, a child! You do realize that you just said ‘No take-backsies’?” Hyunjin snorts, then leans in to meet her face level, “What happened to.. What did you say again? That ‘you didn’t want anything from me’?”

Hyunjin smirks and Heejin’s face contorted in anger, unable to think because of how Hyunjin is making her eat her own words and the fact that their faces were suddenly so close. “ you,” is all she says as she shoves the tickets into Hyunjin’s chest and leaves the Great Hall.

 

-- 

 

“Hey, Heejin!” one of her classmates approached her as they waited for their Potions lesson to start.

“What’s up, Seoyeon?” Heejin greets with a genuine smile as it was one of Chaeyoung’s friends that she had previously met.

“You and Chaeng got any plans after classes today? I tried to make her spill the deets to me earlier, but for some reason she refuses to do so,” Seoyeon ponders.

Just then, Hyunjin enters the classroom. The two had long been ignoring each other in their shared classes just as they did in Transfiguration this morning, but as Hyunjin passes by the two of them just now, Heejin unconsciously raises her voice a bit. “Oh, Chaeng and I? She told me she had something very romantic planned but that it was a surprise,” Heejin lies as Hyunjin’s within earshot. “Maybe she didn’t tell you to make sure her secret is kept safe.”

“Ah, you’re probably right. She knows I’m not the best at keeping my mouth shut anyways,” Seoyeon laughs at herself. The two have a bit more small talk until their Potions professor clears for everyone to take their seats and begins the lesson.

“As per tradition in my class, to which many of you may know, there is a special potion that I only let seventh years make on this day,” a few students whoop and holler at their professor’s opening sentence. “Key words here are ‘only seventh years’ as I trust that all of you will be responsible about when and when not to use this potion, especially that latter part. With that being said, it is Valentine’s Day and for the occasion, we will be making love potions.”

Murmurs of excitement spread across the room like wildfire and even got Heejin exhilarated as well.

“Don’t get too excited, though, as the one I will be teaching you is drastically watered down and its very weak effects only lasts one minute give or take,” the professor quickly adds, causing some shoulders to drop in the room. “Per usual with any potion that I teach you, I do have a perfected love potion here in the class for educational purposes, but bear in mind that the love potion in full power can be extremely dangerous. I had to go through some serious hoops with the Headmaster to allow this lesson to happen so before any of you even try it, there is already a very complex charm that prevents anyone from taking even a drop of this potion. Now, gather around.”

Despite knowing the limitations to the lesson, all of the students still hurry to the professor’s cauldron in anticipation.

“In the cauldron, I have crafted Amortentia. It is considered the most powerful love potion of all and is said to smell different for everyone. How is it different, you may be wondering?” Many students nod. “Well, the aroma that Amortentia emits to an individual is based on what they solely find attractive, pleasing or relaxing.”

“What do you smell, professor?” One student asks.

Their professor leans in to take a whiff and then wears a warm smile. “I smell freshly baked cookies and my husband’s cologne,” she answers, causing a few girls in the class to swoon. “Would anyone else like to share what they smell?”

A few classmates walk up and share, then the professor offers one last opportunity as they will have to start making the potion, “Any last takers? You are my final class for the day so I will be getting rid of it after."

Heejin shifts her eyes around the classroom and sees a couple of students eyeing her. A part of her wanted to try, but now it felt like another opportunity for some of her admirers to try and win her over by going off of what aroma Heejin describes.

"How about you, Ms. Jeon?" The professor beckons her to come forward. 

Ah yes, the perks of being the teacher's favorite, Heejin fakes a smile and approaches the cauldron. I'll just lie, say something outrageous or maybe-

"Hot chocolate," Heejin blurts out to her own surprise, taken aback from the scent. She hears someone lightly chuckle behind her and she fears she knows who it was.

"Hot chocolate? I must say that's the first time I've heard a student say that," the professor says. "Anyone else? No? Okay, return to your desks and turn to page…"

Heejin zones out her professor as she walks back to her seat. She was at a loss with what she had smelled. She thought she would get a whiff of the candles used at her house or of her favorite laundry detergent, but no. She smelled hot chocolate and only that. It kills her inside.

After class, Heejin doesn’t waste a second to get out of there. Throughout the entire class, she could only smell hot chocolate. It’s typically a pleasant smell, but for Heejin it was simply haunting. A painful reminder of the past and of the person only a few feet away from her. So, she’s quick to create distance and when she spots Chaeyoung waiting for her outside, she runs to the girl happily and laughs when she’s twirled around once in an embrace. Once back on her feet, she’s taken aback when her eyes meet Hyunjin’s, who's a little further down the hall alongside Choerry. And in that brief moment, Heejin makes a decision.

Everything that has been happening lately seemed to have built up to the point where Heejin remembered that she had something to prove to Hyunjin (and maybe to herself too). She is the most desirable girl at the school and she needs the Slytherin to be filled with regret while watching Heejin be happy with someone else.

So she kisses Chaeyoung hard, knowing that those eyes will be watching. 

But maybe it’s a mistake. In an attempt to remind Hyunjin of what she is missing, she also reminds herself. As soon as they made contact, she unconsciously compared every little thing all at once. The grip on her waist, the perfume invading her senses, the pressure against her lips, the lack of fluttering in her chest-

She breaks off the kiss and pulls Chaeyoung into a hug to avoid looking at her directly. Instead, she wanted to meet Hyunjin’s eyes in hopes to see a face of anger. That was her goal after all. It would make up for her feeling all those differences and make her ignore the question of whether those differences were for the better or for the worst.

So when she sees Hyunjin donning a smirk, Heejin suddenly feels overwhelmed and has the need to escape.

She tells Chaeyoung to go on without her to her next class as she had to go check on something. They part with a hug and Heejin beelines the opposite way until she turns a corner and enters the nearest bathroom. 

She quickly collects herself in front of a mirror, telling herself to clear her mind which she knows was just easier said than done, but it’s what she must do to help her get through the rest of this already ridiculous day. Once Heejin thinks she’s balanced out emotionally, she fixes up her hair and make-up then heads towards the door. Just as she’s about to leave, she’s startled when the door opens, but soon scowls.

“Are you stalking me or something, Kim?” Heejin crosses her arms. “Move out of the way.”

“And what are you going to do if I don’t?” Hyunjin teases. The Slytherin takes one step forward, making Heejin take a step back.

“I said move,” Heejin still says strongly, refusing to seem weak despite backing up.

Hyunjin takes another step forward with a grin, “Do you really want me to though?” 

“I- Of course I do!” Heejin baffles, but stands her ground. Then, she adds, “Chaeyoung’s going to be wondering where I am.”

“Oh yeah, Chaeyoung…,” Hyunjin ponders. “Did you tell her about what happened in Potions? I personally thought that you smelling hot chocolate was quite interesting, wasn’t it?”

“Well what did you smell, huh?” Heejin bites back and pokes a finger into Hyunjin’s chest. “You never bothered sharing yours, so what gives you the right to tease me about mine? So tell me, Hyunjin, what did you smell?”

“I’m not sure you want me to answer that,” Hyunjin says. “Or maybe you’re just dying to know if I smelled the same thing? Tell me, what would happen if I told you something else?” 

Hyunjin steps, “What if I smelled a fireplace? Roses? Fresh cut grass? Or pancakes?” 

Another step forward, as Heejin steps back, “What if it was your perfume? Or maybe even your bedsheets?”

Eventually, Heejin’s back hits a stall door with Hyunjin ever so close, “Or what if I smell nothing related to you at all, Jeon?”

The Ravenclaw gulps, but her expression remains hard. “Your desperation in trying to make me jealous is so obvious and it's pathetic if you really think I’d care if your scent had anything to do with her.”

“Ohhh I’m not the jealous one here, baby girl. You are,” Hyunjin smirks. “You can’t even say her name and I didn't even bring her up, you did.”

“Like hell I’d be jealous,” Heejin says, infuriated. She lifts herself off the bathroom stall and her face is now only centimeters away from Hyunjin’s. The sudden closeness throws the Slytherin off as her expression falters and for a brief second, Heejin thought she regained the edge. Yet her eyes betray her as the proximity makes her eyes flicker down to Hyunjin’s lips. She can only hope she wasn’t caught, but the sly smile across from her tells her otherwise.

“It pisses you off, doesn’t it?” Hyunjin asks deviously. “That everytime you kiss her, you think of me. You think of my lips against yours and how hers don’t compare to mine in every way that you wish it doesn’t.”

Heejin’s chest tightens at the girl’s words with her hands balling into fists at her sides.

“You say you don’t want anything from me, but I see through you like you’re made of glass. I know you. You crave attention, but now,” Hyunjin leans in to whisper into Heejin’s ear. Heejin can only stand frozen as she feels Hyunjin’s breath hit her skin, sending chills down her spine. “The only attention you really want is mine .”

“You’re wrong,” is all Heejin manages to let out. She curses herself for how shakey she sounded.

It was then when Hyunjin backed off, creating space between them now, “Stop denying it, Jeon. It is called a love potion after all.”

And with that, Hyunjin leaves the bathroom and the bell rings.


A/N: bum Bum BUMMMM

Ah yes, denial can only last so long.

In this chap, we see an ever so understanding Chaeyoung and an increasingly dangerous frequency of Hyunjin on the brain. From *pre-planned* Valentine gifts to completely unplanned love potions, this was quite a rollercoaster for Ms. Jeon Heejin. (I hope you all understood each reference that Hyunjin was hinting at when they were talking about what she had smelled!)

I didn't think I'd have a chapter update already but this was such a fun chap for me to write so I hope you all liked it! Also, what's up with these bathroom confrontations? I don't know, it just happened lmao.

Thank you for being lovely readers and don't be shy to tell me what you think!

See ya next time my friends!

- S (rv_twice5 on twitter)